• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

Bowser

Man, I remember agitating for Rivera to be fired after posting that 7-9 record in his 2nd year and then starting his 3rd season 0-2. Sometimes guys just need time to develop.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
fucking kidding me, John Feinstein just now "there was once a QB who was on the road to canton until injuries derailed him.... RG3." Come the fuck on, dude was never on his way to canton after 1 good season.

Clockwork5

If he's not the Manning of old, I agree.

He'll have a short leash by all indications. Which I believe he should. 2 picks and I think he sits.

Defensive rookie of the year Marcus Peters will do his best to make sure that happens in the first half, again.

Hindl

I liked naively optimistic Eagles fans better :(

For better or worse Chip was building this roster with a specific plan in mind. Things that are coming out show that it was time for him to leave and I get that. But now we'll have a new coach who isn't using this plan, so these last few years have resulted in us just getting rid of talent with no follow through. Ertz, Hicks, Matthews and Rowe are positives, and I believe in Agholor and Barner, but there's still a lot of issues to plug. And who knows if we'll have Bradford next season

eznark

Banned
Paul Noonan's take on the game (nailed pretty much this entire month so far):

http://shepherdexpress.com/article-27095-the-packers-match-up-well-against-washington.html

Losing the division to the Vikings – and continuing to look inept on offense – may have you feeling a bit low, and I admit that it is hard to get excited for a playoff game when you don’t have much hope beyond this week. I understand all of that and feel the same things, but I think it’s useful to appreciate this team for what it is, and not simply for its numerous flaws. We all know about the offense, the problems at wide receiver, the surprising issues and stunning lack of depth at tackle, and the various problems at running back. Those things are not going to get fixed before this weekend, and it will be what ultimately knocks the Packers out of the playoffs.

Those problems, bad as they are, should be relatively simple to fix in the offseason, and while the offense struggled mightily, the defense continues to round itself into one of the most formidable units in the league. Mike Daniels has been stellar all season long in all phases of the game, providing stout run support and a relentless pass rush. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Quinton Rollins and Damarious Randall should anchor a very good secondary for years to come. Clay Matthews has struggled in recent weeks, but still gets after the quarterback like few others. Green Bay finished the season 9th in defensive DVOA, up from 16th last season. They also improved against the run compared to 2014, finishing 19th, and were stellar against the pass, finishing 6th. And as bad as they’ve been recently, the Packers match up very well against the Redskins this weekend...
The Packers may have looked pathetic against a good Viking defense and a great Cardinal defense, but this is more like the Raider defense that allowed 30 (admittedly defense-aided) points to the Packers, or the Cowboys, who allowed 28. The Redskins have some good individual players on defense in D-linemen Chris Baker and Jason Hatcher, and linebackers Trent Murphy and Ryan Kerrigan, but the secondary is a mess. Dashon Goldson has struggled all season, and no Washington DB has really been above average outside of Bashaud Breeland. All that you need to know about this group is that there is a strong case for former Packer Will Blackmon as their second best DB.

The Packers should win this game. Washington won one of the worst divisions in the history of football, and while they beat the teams they were supposed to beat, their offensive numbers are bolstered by a litany of terrible defenses including 47 points against the historically bad New Orleans defense. They are likely in the bottom third of the league in terms of actual quality, and while it’s possible that they will win on Sunday, the Packers should be favorites, even on the road.

effzee

Weird that wip is saying that the Eagles have a contract offer out to Gase, but they have setup 2 more interviews.

Why not? They might want Gase as the #1 choice but know full well he wants to visit other teams and then make a decision. If he chooses some other opening you don't want to be caught with no other candidates lined up.

Remember back when Chip was hired. He initially said he was going back to Oregon. Eagles were about to hire Gustav when Chip changed mind and took the job minute.

Godslay

Banned
Defensive rookie of the year Marcus Peters will do his best to make sure that happens in the first half, again.

That's assuming that the Bengals and the Chiefs win. I'd worry about the Texans first. Peters has to stop Nuk, then maybe he'll get a shot a getting some more floaters thrown to him on a bad foot.

effzee

Meh.

We do know he was their top candidate and they interviewed for 8 hours. They might have even finalized a contract/$$$ but he will still explore. Earlier reports said Eagles have given Gase up until Saturday to make a decision. 2nd interview talk probably grew out of that.

Regardless I am happy to see Eagles interview other options. Shocked they haven't lined up interviews with Hue and McDermott.

I wonder how the Austin interview went.

Personally think Lurie is set on hiring an offensive coache and the real options are Gase, McAdoo, and Pederson in that order. Why Hue isn't on their radar I don't know.

SonnyBoy

Paul Noonan's take on the game (nailed pretty much this entire month so far):
It'll really come down to if/how the Packers cover Jordan Reed. I don't see how this guy can be as confident as he sounds. Jordan Reed, DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon provide a lot of options. Especially if the Packers top CB is out.

Spinluck

Do you listen to Dakich at all? He has been pretty revealing over this past week. Just completely shitting on Indy media.

I listen to him when he has interviews I'm interested in, but no I do not follow him.

He had an interview with Grigson last year around mid season, and Grigson came off as a pretty nice dude and seemed to have a grasp on the teams issues. So when reports came about him having problems with Chuck I was somewhat dumbfounded since their relationship seemed fine. I do think there is some truth to the internal issues, but they might've been inflated some.

eznark

Banned
I listen to him when he has interviews I'm interested in, but no I do not follow him.

He had an interview with Grigson last year around mid season, and Grigson came off as a pretty nice dude and seemed to have a grasp on the teams issues. So when reports came about him having problems with Chuck I was somewhat dumbfounded, since their relationship seemed fine. I do think there is some truth to the internal issues, but they might've been inflated some.

He seems to think Pagano is a total phony and a total shit head.

Godslay

Banned
Nice avatar!

Saw you playing Dark Souls II last night.

Beat the Witch of Hemwick. Easy fight. Now in the Forbidden Forest. Also made the mistake of defeating Vicar Amelia before doing some of the optional stuff. Probably have a long way to go, but I've been chipping away at it.

Hindl

Beat the Witch of Hemwick. Easy fight. Now in the Forbidden Forest. Also made the mistake of defeating Vicar Amelia before doing some of the optional stuff. Probably have a long way to go, but I've been chipping away at it.

You're getting to some awesome stuff soon. I didn't like the Forbidden Forest much tho the layout was kinda confusing and it didn't seem to have the tight design of Yharnam

Very nice! I hope you're enjoying it. Vicar is one of those fights that can be very tough or a breeze depending on when you choose to do it. Fighting her before WoH is the tough way to go.

You have a good ways to go but Bloodborne isn't nearly as long as the Souls games. I would say it's my favorite of the bunch by a good margin, though.

I played through Dark Souls II on PS3 but for the PS4 version they changed up a lot of the enemy encounters and added all the DLC I never bought. It's been great fun revisiting it so far.

Need to get back to Bloodborne soon. I beat the game and have the DLC and people won't stop telling me how good and difficult the Old Hunters is.

Godslay

Banned
You're getting to some awesome stuff soon. I didn't like the Forbidden Forest much tho the layout was kinda confusing and it didn't seem to have the tight design of Yharnam

I think it's been pretty good so far. Took a bit to get used to it versus Demon/Dark, but I like the speed of it a little more.

Very nice! I hope you're enjoying it. Vicar is one of those fights that can be very tough or a breeze depending on when you choose to do it. Fighting her before WoH is the tough way to go.

You have a good ways to go but Bloodborne isn't nearly as long as the Souls games. I would say it's my favorite of the bunch by a good margin, though.

I beat Vicar before WoH. I totally lucked out of Vicar, in that I beat her the first time without being hit. Saw a note someone left that said fire is effective. Used some fire paper, side stepped hit the legs, she buckled, and just went to town. I don't know how I got that lucky, but it was nice after being waxed by Blood Starved Beast a few times.

Hindl

Need to get back to Bloodborne soon. I beat the game and have the DLC and people won't stop telling me how good and difficult the Old Hunters is.

I still need to get on the Old Hunters, I just burned so much money at the end of the year with games that I don't have time. And DSIII is right around the corner. Maybe I'll grab it when Sony does a PSN Flash sale that has the Old Hunters cheap

Malalaw

yup, playing my game now though so don't decide until after you play yours or the trade won't go through.

I'll probably play mine too when I get home, but may wait.

This tank ain't gonna drive itself after all.

Gunning for that #1 pick

BigAT

Oh my god Peyton Manning was so disrespected.

980420.jpg

Also came across this hilarious cover:

8PNglqb.jpg

Remember when football used to matter?

Syrinx

On Lovie.

After the Bucs choked like dogs against the Racist Scumbags, I wrote this meldown-y post about Lovie (and management and ownership, but for now Lovie).

That's it. That's it. That's. Fucking.. It.

If it wasn't clear before today, Lovie Smith is a useless, pathetic, husk that I'm not sure even qualifies as a functional human being at this point. After a goddamn bye week, we were undisciplined (16 MOTHERFUCKING PENALTIES!), unorganized (bad clock management, almost gave the Skins a free first down on their field goal try) and were letting a team they were up big on get under their thin, weak, miserable skin (6 personal fouls, was it?). Whatever Lovie's job as a head coach is, he has been an unmitigated failure who is either unable to fix problems that are directly under his jurisdiction like the ones above, or just isn't at allurgent to do so because he moves at about 3/10 the pace of normal human beings. He's the kind of dude who if his wife was in labor would call a taxi instead of an ambulance. And then sit there for a minute trying to figure out how much to tip the driver.

Get him out. Out. He's a useless waste of space. He brings ablsolutely no qualities to this team. If he wants to be a father-figure to the wee baby Jameis, he can still do that after he's booted to the curb and nobody hires him (at least, I hope NFL front offices would take notice of his failures and not hire him, but dumber things have happened).

Oh yeah, and nice building the defense, Licht 9and Dominik before him). Let's only draft one defensive player in the last two drafs and get bitched up by Kirk Cousins. Kirk Cousins.

Fuck this team, fuck these coaches, fuck this front office, fuck these owners...

...and fuck everybody, now that I think of it.

Thing is, even when the Bucs actually had a shred of hope, my feelings about Lovie were...basically a less harsh version of that.

I mean, look at what has happened under him. Smith, a supposedly defensive coach, and Leslie Frazier took over a bad-to-mediocre defense and somehow made them worse. In his second year here, we finished tied for the league lead in penalties with Buffalo. So he didn't bring any sort of defensive prowess or discipline with him. So what exactly did he bring? The best thing I can say about him is that he was a good mentor type for Jameis (or so I've heard), a role he was saddled with only because he was able to draft him first overall since we bottomed the fuck out in his first year here.

I am concerned that our coaching carousel is starting to mimic that of the Browns, and if we ever end up like that we are royally fucked. But what's the alternative? Keeping him around just for the sake of keeping him around? Going another all-offense or near all-offense draft because Lovie thinks his schemes with the right guys (aka wrong guys aka Chris Conte) will be enough for the most part?

I hope Koetter is promoted; dude did a phenomenal job this year and going in house will help maintain a semblance of stability. Getting a defensive coordinator worth a damn will be critical to our success though.

I still need to get on the Old Hunters, I just burned so much money at the end of the year with games that I don't have time. And DSIII is right around the corner. Maybe I'll grab it when Sony does a PSN Flash sale that has the Old Hunters cheap
You guys are in for a treat. It's as good or better than anything in the main game. Nearly doubles the weapon count as well.

I think it's been pretty good so far. Took a bit to get used to it versus Demon/Dark, but I like the speed of it a little more.

I beat Vicar before WoH. I totally lucked out of Vicar, in that I beat her the first time without being hit. Saw a note someone left that said fire is effective. Used some fire paper, side stepped hit the legs, she buckled, and just went to town. I don't know how I got that lucky, but it was nice after being waxed by Blood Starved Beast a few times.
Wow, that is very impressive. BSB destroyed me for hours my first time through, probably because I was stubborn and always went for risky parries. One big adjustment from the Souls games is the importance of certain stats. HP is much more important in Bloodborne and stamina is much less important. Focusing on Vitality early on makes Bloodborne substantially easier.

Same here, but I had to make an exception for Bloodborne. The game is so amazing, but man I forgot how close DS3 was.

You guys are in for a treat. It's as good or better than anything in the main game. Nearly doubles the weapon count as well.

I hear some of those weapons are really great. I didn't care about the lack of variety in weapons compared to past games since every weapon in BB was viable unlike half of them in previous souls games which were junk, but increasing the weapon variety is still a big plus.

Sanjuro

I'd subscribe to SI again if they gave me a free Tom Emansk VHS.

ESPN the magazine just couldn't meet that kind of deal.

Godslay

Banned

Wow, that is very impressive. BSB destroyed me for hours my first time through, probably because I was stubborn and always went for risky parries. One big adjustment from the Souls games is the importance of certain stats. HP is much more important in Bloodborne and stamina is much less important. Focusing on Vitality early on makes Bloodborne substantially easier.

I know it sounds crazy, but I don't really use the pistol.

Also I might have made a huge mistake because I started out as Troubled Childhood. Am at level 50, and have put almost all my points towards endurance. Vitality, Strength, and Skill are all at like 16 iirc.

Hopefully I didn't screw myself.

Sanjuro

I assume you already have a football phone?

I got the football phone, mini helmet, pull over sweater, VHS, and the swimsuit issue.

Life was that fucking awesome.

Edit: Me and my dad never did smoke enough to get the red felt Marlboro pool table though.

Hunter S.

Pey Pey wants nothing to do with the Chiefs or Texans!

Hey, did you forget already that our defense won us at least 7 of Peyton's 9 wins this year?!? The D is doing nothing but rest , so it can pump out a big load of hurt on all who come.

Peyton's offense only won against the Packers and he uplifted the team against the Colts, but did little special himself except get more catches out of Demaryius than Brock ever did (my guess is better timing between the two veterans).

Godslay

Banned
Hey, did you forget already that our defense won us at least 7 of Peyton's 9 wins this year?!? The D is doing nothing but rest , so it can pump out a big load of hurt on all who come.

Peyton's offense only won against the Packers and he uplifted the team against the Colts, but did little special himself except get more catches out of Demaryius than Brock ever did (my guess is better timing between the two veterans).

If he turns the ball over, it's still going to be trouble for us.

I agree with what you've said though.

Getting conflicting info, in that some are saying that it's sink or swim with Peyton. While others are saying he'll be on short leash if he starts turning over the ball.

I don't really care who the QB is as long as the fight to they death and don't lay down like they did last year. If I see another 3 & 5 with 15 yards of open field and Manning doesn't run for that first down like last year, I'm going to be playing the shotgun and pistol with my TV.

I hear some of those weapons are really great. I didn't care about the lack of variety in weapons compared to past games since every weapon in BB was viable unlike half of them in previous souls games which were junk, but increasing the weapon variety is still a big plus.
I agree, I always thought the complaint about weapon variety was silly. It's quality over quantity in Bloodborne, and with the DLC you get both. My favorites are the Rakuyo for a pure skill build and Holy Moonlight Sword for arc/str. The concept of trick weapons is incredible. The transitions are just too good:

scythe.gif

I know it sounds crazy, but I don't really use the pistol.

Also I might have made a huge mistake because I started out as Troubled Childhood. Am at level 50, and have put almost all my points towards endurance. Vitality, Strength, and Skill are all at like 16 iirc.

Hopefully I didn't screw myself.
A lot of people don't bother trying to parry, it's not really necessary just more efficient in some cases. The pistol is never really for damage, just parrying (unless you're a bloodtinge build). It's great fun when you get the hang of it.

Nah, your stats are fine. It's hard to mess them up too much in this game and min/maxing doesn't really matter unless you are way into PvP (I'm not). That said, 25 Endurance is more than enough. I'd suggest around 30 Vitality by the time you're done but the sooner the better unless you want a tougher challenge.

I can talk about stats in Soulsborne games all day so I'll go ahead and stop myself there. ;)

Sorry.

I assumed that GAF didn't post hot pictures of children.

From now on I will confirm age of any GIFs of hot chicks I see on GAF before getting any erections.

You Poor man, all you need to get an erection is that .gif?!

You must not get any since the twins arrived huh

Top Bottom