• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

Most unpredictable season for me this year --- Houston Texans. You could write a headline from every week that would have come off as a hilarious joke in the preseason.

<3

Nobody talks about the Bungles in here because outside of two teaming Eznark there are no Bungles fans in here.

People talk about Bengals, its just usually pretty negative. Which is why I figured I should speak up about the actual game when most thought is probably not even being given to the game. The post wasn't just to talk about the Bengals, they just needed more said.

Seattle has now finished number one in scoring defense 4 straight years. I take back my vote for Russell for MVP and give it to Cam, whose defense he carried many times

To be fair to Russell, this is definitely the least consistent defense they've had in that 4 year stretch.

Look at how they did against good teams:

GB: 27
CIN: 27
AZ: 39
CAR: 27
PIT: 30
MIN (good win) : 7
AZ (great win) : 6

vs. not-so good teams

STL: 34
CHI (with Jimmy Clausen): 0
DET: 10
SF: 3
DAL: 12
SF: 13
BAL (with Jimmy Clausen): 6
CLE: 13
STL: 23

Line_HTX

Most unpredictable season for me this year --- Houston Texans. You could write a headline from every week that would have come off as a hilarious joke in the preseason.

Yeah, I think a lot of the headlines from the first half were indeed laughable, I must admit.

Seriously though, that Miami game was a necessary wakeup call. Definitely deserved all the ass kicking from that day.

Good thing I bailed out early enough for the Formula One race in Austin.

squicken

To be fair to Russell, this is definitely the least consistent defense they've had in that 4 year stretch.

True. There is no doubt Russ is a great player. No caveats. Great QB. But that defense can suffocate teams in a way that no other defense can. It gives Russ such a huge margin for error. He can play knowing he can make a mistake, or throw the ball away. It's not surprising his plays took off as the defense improved, not that he wasn't playing well all year

Crisco

Banned
Gil BrandtVerified account &#8207;@Gil_Brandt 13h13 hours ago
With 35 passing TDs and 10 rushing TDs, Cam Newton is the only player in NFL history with at least 30 pass TDs/10 rush TDs in same season.

Throw in nearly 4000 passing yards, 600+ rushing yards, a handful of game winning drives, and it's easily an MVP season. At 26 years old, his $102 million contract extension looks like a bargain right now and what he's becoming should terrify the rest of the league. Inside the redzone, he's already the hardest player to defend maybe ever, I really don't know what a defense is supposed to do. He shattered basically every misconception about him by showing he could be an elite pocket passer with a very poor group of WRs. Surround this guy with a group like the Bengals, Steelers, or Cardinals and there's no telling what his ceiling is.

squicken

Throw in nearly 4000 passing yards, 600+ rushing yards, a handful of game winning drives, and it's easily an MVP season. At 26 years old, his $102 million contract extension looks like a bargain right now and what he's becoming should terrify the rest of the league. Inside the redzone, he's already the hardest player to defend maybe ever, I really don't know what a defense is supposed to do. He shattered basically every misconception about him by showing he could be an elite pocket passer with a very poor group of WRs. Surround this guy with a group like the Bengals, Steelers, or Cardinals and there's no telling what his ceiling is.

See I think this a bit of a myth. SEA fans used to say this about their WRs but it turned out those guys were actually really good. Schneider went out and found mid and late round gems that were perfect for their offense. Bad WRs don't separate against man coverage. Can't find voids in zones. Watch Cleveland or even GB. Panthers guys get open. Ginn may drop TDs but he does get open

Everyone QB would benefit from the Steelers/Cards/Bengals skill players of course. I just think you are going to see a Golden Tate type of guy come from this group, where he gets good money from another team and does well

SonnyBoy

True. There is no doubt Russ is a great player. No caveats. Great QB. But that defense can suffocate teams in a way that no other defense can. It gives Russ such a huge margin for error. He can play knowing he can make a mistake, or throw the ball away. It's not surprising his plays took off as the defense improved, not that he wasn't playing well all year

Seattle has a defense that robs an opposing team of it's will to compete. They play great team defense, everyone is always rallying to the ball and bringing a solid hit with them. I think of the AFC North, the 49ers and Seattle as having that type of style. Hopefully Scot will follow that blueprint during his time in Washington.

If Payton goes anywhere it'll be to the Giants.

You do know he is a Philly guy right? Not saying that will affect anything but there has been a ton of talk about how growing up one of his favorite memories was going to the Flyers Stanley Cup parade. I cant see any established coaches wanting to deal with Howie, but it wouldnt totally shock me if they went hard after Payton.

Spinluck

Pagano has a .500 record against non division teams, and has lead the league in 21+ point losses since '12.

CX16ttNWsAAear5.jpg

See I think this a bit of a myth. SEA fans used to say this about their WRs but it turned out those guys were actually really good. Schneider went out and found mid and late round gems that were perfect for their offense. Bad WRs don't separate against man coverage. Can't find voids in zones. Watch Cleveland or even GB. Panthers guys get open. Ginn may drop TDs but he does get open

Everyone QB would benefit from the Steelers/Cards/Bengals skill players of course. I just think you are going to see a Golden Tate type of guy come from this group, where he gets good money from another team and does well
Ginn is not a bad receiver but he is incredibly frustrating. Similar to Mike Wallace in that regard.

Panthers may not have the worst WR corps in the league but it is bottom half for sure. It's not good. Thankfully Olsen has helped a lot in the passing game but the offensive production is much more about Cam than anyone else. He is elevating the play of that WR group.

squicken

Peter King trigger warning

Three interesting things I can confirm. One: Kelly had no idea this was coming. He was shocked. He figured the organization would rally at the end of the season and make a plan for 2016 that he hoped would include signing Bradford long-term. Two: Lurie never offered him a chance to stay if he ceded personnel control. Lurie wanted Kelly out. Now. Three: Bradford won’t be motivated to return to Philadelphia over any other team now that free agency looms. His agent, Tom Condon, is a get-the-most-you-can-regardless-of-team guy, and Bradford isn’t crazy about Philadelphia the city anyway. He probably wishes there was a team in his favorite place, Oklahoma City. And who’s to say the next coach—current offensive coordinators Adam Gase and Doug Pederson are popular early names—will want Bradford at $18 million a year or more?
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/04/nfl-coaches-fired-wild-card-schedule-week-17-peyton-manning

Seattle has now finished number one in scoring defense 4 straight years. I take back my vote for Russell for MVP and give it to Cam, whose defense he carried many times
e:
CX4pvWoUkAQPpZ5.jpg

The much maligned Pittsburgh Steelers defense is 11th in the NFL in points against, and 3rd in the league in sacks, and tied for 6th in interceptions, and 5th against the run. Fire Tomlin.

dan-carpenter-slams-his-helmet-down-and-it-bounces-into-his-face-after-missed-pat-against-jets.gif

Spinluck

Tomlin does some things well, I can't deny that.

And I can't blame the injuries on him. He did well to get to 2-2. But we do have a longstanding problem of often not showing up for shit teams and sometimes being out coached and outmatched. I can blame that on him and it is an ongoing issue.

I'm hearing that Steelers might interview Pagano as soon as tomorrow.

rando14

Seattle found out that for exceptional route runners are the best for us, whereas big athletic WR's are not. Hence why little gusy like Baldwin or Lockett have done really well, whereas Chris Matthews, Sidney Rice, and Jim Graham never really gel'd all that well.

squicken

As far as the points against thing, it is also a very sure way to lose by being wholly incompetent on offense. The Giants and Saints are really the only two teams that lost this year with solid offenses and awful defenses. Most bad teams have terrible offenses and defenses

kmag

Coughlin meeting with owners at 1pm EST. Sounds like a decision has been made.

I don't think they stick, and I think he'll be given the choice to retire perhaps even an honorary position, but stranger things have happened.

bionic77

I'm hearing that Steelers might interview Pagano as soon as tomorrow.
Incorrect.

After a life altering trip on DMT while in the jungles of Brazil, Irsay had a vision of Pagano lifting up the Super Bowl trophy and bringing peace on Earth with the aid of the Hindu God Shiva and is going to announce his lifetime contract later this afternoon.

Drugs got Irsay to where he currently is in life and I agree with his decision to stick with them going forward.

Respect

While not surprising, that was horrible to watch, hopefully the oline gets their shit together and edleman can get acclimated to game speed quickly...glad no one got seriously hurt though.

Oh and divorce sucks.

Spinluck

Incorrect.

After a life altering trip on DMT while in the jungles of Brazil, Irsay had a vision of Pagano lifting up the Super Bowl trophy and bringing peace on Earth with the aid of the Hindu God Shiva and is going to announce his lifetime contract later this afternoon.

Drugs got Irsay to where he currently is in life and I agree with his decision to stick with them going forward.

You really are the worst, I hope you are banned from ever watching another Star Wars movie again!

While not surprising, that was horrible to watch, hopefully the oline gets their shit together and edleman can get acclimated to game speed quickly...glad no one got seriously hurt though.

Oh and divorce sucks.

I'm sorry to hear that bro, I'm one of the few that thinks Pats fans deserve love too. :(

rando14

Oh and divorce sucks.

:(

Hope you're doing alright

squicken

sucks to hear, Respect. Hopefully things work out for the best

Curious - is there anyone here that believes Osweiler will start the playoff game?

Personally I just can't see it.

No. I don't know why Kubes is being so wishy washy. He humiliated Brock yesterday and forever ruined him in Denver

As far as the points against thing, it is also a very sure way to lose by being wholly incompetent on offense. The Giants and Saints are really the only two teams that lost this year with solid offenses and awful defenses. Most bad teams have terrible offenses and defenses

Tampa as well, they need another good receiver with good hands and 2 linemen(a center and lg to replace mankins when he retires) and the offense should reach elite status. Licht needs to work his draft magic to get Lovie some guys on defense this year.

Crisco

Banned

Ginn is 30 and has only ever looked serviceable at receiver with Cam. Philly Brown doesn't have a single elite physical attribute, he's the definition of a JAG. Ditto for Cotchery and he's 33 years old. Which of those guys is a "Golden Tate" type? Funchess is the only one with potential, but he's been very inconsistent as a rookie which has kept him beneath those other three on the depth chart. They get open because Olsen attracts a ton of attention in the middle of the field and Cam/Stewart force defenses to play the run first. Even with that, Cam is firing missiles into practically non-existent windows to get completions to these guys. I watch Seahawks game and see Doug Baldwin catching passes without a defender in the frame.

DMczaf

Bucs gotta re-sign Doug Martin with the swiftness. Shouldn't have let him have that kind of season on a contract year :(

bionic77

You really are the worst, I hope you are banned from ever watching another Star Wars movie again!
Thats harsh man.

Star Wars is like my family. I love each of the 4 movies like one of my own children. Now you are wishing that I can never see my kids again? Don't be like that bro...

Speaking of being banned forever, after seeing what Ninja puts on his hot dogs I am in favor of banning him from all sports threads forever. He used to be the GOAT but now its like I don't even know who he is anymore. I want to at least remember him the way he used to be.

squicken, and boban I dont know if you guys saw this in the other thread or not:

Brandon Lee Gowton &#8207;@BrandonGowton 7h Sam Bradford’s last 7 starts: 175/258 (67.9%), 1959 yards (7.6 y/a), 10 TD, 4 INT, 96.7 rating. #Eagles

Brandon Lee Gowton &#8207;@BrandonGowton 7h Bradford set #Eagles records in both completions (346) and completion percentage (65%). 4th most single-season passing yards (3,725).

Brandon Lee Gowton &#8207;@BrandonGowton 7h Eagles QBs with five 300-yard games (team record) in a single season: Sonny Jurgensen (1961), Donovan McNabb (2004), Sam Bradford (2015).

Also Bradfords QB rating after the bye:

Week 9: 103.4
Week 10: 118.1
Week 13: 99.3
Week 14: 77.4
Week 15: 91.6
Week 16: 91.4
Week 17: 108.3

DMczaf

Thats harsh man.

Star Wars is like my family. I love each of the 4 movies like one of my own children. Now you are wishing that I can never see my kids again? Don't be like that bro...

Speaking of being banned forever, after seeing what Ninja puts on his hot dogs I am in favor of banning him from all sports threads forever. He used to be the GOAT but now its like I don't even know who he is anymore. I want to at least remember him the way he used to be.

I blame Scooter's hotdog habits on his Lakerisms.

Godslay

Banned
I'm sure no one cares, but I'd like to clear somethings up just so I have something to point back to.

I'm fine with Manning at QB, I've always been fine with him at QB. I backed his poor play with excuses up through the time he was benched. In the KC game, it became indefensible so I stopped doing it and I won't do it again.

The thing that rubbed me the wrong way was two fold. The first being that Brock was having a decent game, assuming you cut out the turnovers which I and I think many others feel weren't his fault. Schofield (RT) has been shit on for weeks now, letting guys get to the QB in ~2 seconds on multiple occasions. Yet, Kubes stood idly by letting Brock get shit on from the right side. Granted Brock held on to the ball at times, but Schofield is fucking garbage. Fast forward to yesterday and who gets benched when Manning comes in? Schofield. Weird timing, and it quite frankly pissed me off. So now we won't get to see if patching up that right side would have helped Oz from getting destroyed on that side. I'd be fine with a benching for performance or injury, but that wasn't the case yesterday. So the move looked pretty flaky to me.

The second part of this rant is that I think that Bronco's fans need to be careful with jumping back over to Manning. Manning was 5/9 for 69 yards, and yes the team looked a bit more charged with him back there. The same thing happened when Manning got shut down in the KC game after throwing 4 picks. The thing I am being cautious of is that a lot of people are saying that Manning is back without him really doing much yesterday. If he's back to 2013 level, I'll throw a fucking party and Brock can wait his turn. The idea of him being a turnover machine is still fresh in my head, so if that devalues fandom then so be it.

Like I said, I'll root for him to lead this team to the promise land, but it should be on a short leash should he be named the starter. If we see more of Peyton 2015 than of Peyton 2013, he should be sat right away. The margin for error is even thinner in the playoffs so I'd hate to see it all be derailed by a bunch of picks from Manning.

I was going to just post on Twitter and skip all the nonsense, but I won't go out like that.

Bucs gotta re-sign Doug Martin with the swiftness. Shouldn't have let him have that kind of season on a contract year :(

Only if the price is right, if some other team wants to grab him and give gim a Demarco Murray contract let that other team be the dumbasses to do it. The Bucs will likely be a passing team going forward with Jameis.

Can also always franchise tag his ass and run him into the ground next year before tossing him aside too.

Spinluck

Thats harsh man.

Damn you are right friend. I recant my previous statement/ruling.

You can get your Star Wars fix by watching Episodes 1-3 if you wish. No more no less.

squicken, and boban I dont know if you guys saw this in the other thread or not:

Brandon Lee Gowton &#8207;@BrandonGowton 7h Sam Bradford’s last 7 starts: 175/258 (67.9%), 1959 yards (7.6 y/a), 10 TD, 4 INT, 96.7 rating. #Eagles

Brandon Lee Gowton &#8207;@BrandonGowton 7h Bradford set #Eagles records in both completions (346) and completion percentage (65%). 4th most single-season passing yards (3,725).

Brandon Lee Gowton &#8207;@BrandonGowton 7h Eagles QBs with five 300-yard games (team record) in a single season: Sonny Jurgensen (1961), Donovan McNabb (2004), Sam Bradford (2015).

Also Bradfords QB rating after the bye:

Week 9: 103.4
Week 10: 118.1
Week 13: 99.3
Week 14: 77.4
Week 15: 91.6
Week 16: 91.4
Week 17: 108.3

I speak for everyone when I say I hope you guys apply the franchise tag to Bradford.

Top Bottom