• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

squicken

ESPN post on how DePodesta will help Cleveland, but this is the part I found most interesting

To be clear, DePodesta will not be doing a ton of number-crunching for the Browns. The Browns already have Ken Kovash on staff; he is one of the top analysts in the NFL and will lead the actual analysis. But NFL teams don't just already have a lot of useful data, they are also about to be caught under an avalanche of new data. The league has installed chips in every player's shoulder pads and can now track a player's location and movements multiple times a second during every play. The teams will be given access to that data soon, and they need to have some way of turning that massive data set into useful information to gain a competitive advantage.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14527393/why-paul-depodesta-qualified-help-cleveland-browns-nfl

That's going to be a huge deal in player evaluation. Tracking the decline of players as they age, as the season progresses. I hope we get some of that as fans, though I am sure we won't, besides useless crap about how fast a guy ran on a kick return

That is the worst job of convincing I have ever read.

Now isn't the time, really. I hope to see the Texans make an improbable playoff run and Brandon Weeden start and finish the Super Bowl as MVP. End the tyranny of the franchise QBs or nothing mindset of fans and media

bionic77

I agree. I think TEs should also be graded on a combination of run blocking and pass receiving. Gronk deserves to make it but someone like Graham? Stick him with the WRs.

The Packers haven't be good this season.

This too. Though Seattle might be decent. Their A game is leagues beyond the other five teams, that's for sure.

You can take solace if the Bengals win. We'll have an entire week devoted to people arguing AJ vs Dalton. A week!
Yeah Seattle can be good but I am always skeptical of them on the road. Not to mention their qb is a bitch ass fraud.

You are not cheering me up with your hypo about the Bungles winning...

MechDX

Now isn't the time, really. I hope to see the Texans make an improbable playoff run and Brandon Weeden start and finish the Super Bowl as MVP. End the tyranny of the franchise QBs or nothing mindset of fans and media

Then he Flaccos the Texans for years, browns fans here never post because they are constantly masterbating and Cowboys fans still say he sucks

Maybe because Washington has been averaging 35 points a game for the last 4-5 weeks.

I am just surprised since the Packers tend to be pre-season SB favorites most years, and they have all the playoff experience in this matchup. Obviously Kirk can keep playing well and they can win, but it seems like a tall order to expect him to beat fraudgers in his first playoff game. I would think that the talking heads would be flocking to GB in this game.

squicken

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...b-draft-prospects-kirk-cousins-value-and-more

Breer's notes. Too much to quote as far as the QBs in the draft. Early thought is there isn't a top 10, but maybe someone will reach

Thoughts on the Titans and what they want from the next coach

Shortly after the change, a high-ranking Titans source put it this way to me: "The quarterbacks are getting hit a lot, and it's exactly what happened last year. We had [Jake] Locker on IR, [Zach] Mettenberger on IR. The quarterbacks were getting crushed. And now, Mariota's gotten hit a lot. Mettenberger got killed against Houston, he was sacked seven times and there wasn't any help in protection. ... We just got done with Locker, and now we have another, and you have to protect the quarterback. Some of it is the offensive line. Some of it is not." The breaking point, for Titans' upper management, was the coaching staff's decision to leave rookie Jeremiah Poutasi singled on Cameron Wake and J.J. Watt in a 15-day span. The two star defenders combined for 6.5 sacks in those contests. Mariota was injured for the third time in 2015 against Miami. After the Houston game, Watt openly questioned the Titans' decision to leave him alone on a rookie.
And so, there's skepticism in Tennessee's building over the idea that the decision makers there would be willing to bring in Chip Kelly to work with his college quarterback, because the ex-Eagles coach presided over a significant number of QB injuries (Mike Vick, Nick Foles, Sam Branford) in Philly.

They even gave your sub-60% completion QB a nod. How generous of them to spare this thread from the whining.

I mean, I wouldn't have given him the All-Pro nod. To me, the notion of value goes out with the AP team and it's should purely just be judged by relative performance at the position.

Without a doubt, the best quarterback over the 16 games was...Carson Palmer.

But I'm not going to complain about Cam getting recognition.

SonnyBoy

I am just surprised since the Packers tend to be pre-season SB favorites most years, and they have all the playoff experience in this matchup. Obviously Kirk can keep playing well and they can win, but it seems like a tall order to expect him to beat fraudgers in his first playoff game. I would think that the talking heads would be flocking to GB in this game.
I mean... I'm not saying that they should be picking Washington. Just that I understand the divide. Greenbay might be without their best LT, best cover corner, another CB didn't practice today and obviously Jordy... Meanwhile, Washington's current roster is relatively healthy. GB could very well beat Washington, just as easily as they could lose.

As far as playoff experience. Kirk did play mop up duty after Seattle broke RGIII for the final time in 2012... While not ideal or meaningful, he has played in a playoff matchup.

Line_HTX

I mean, I wouldn't have given him the All-Pro nod. To me, the notion of value goes out with the AP team and it's should purely just be judged by relative performance at the position.

Without a doubt, the best quarterback over the 16 games was...Carson Palmer.

But I'm not going to complain about Cam getting recognition.

Cam did spectacular. He willed the team to win.

eznark

Banned
Odd how he has yet to mention a certain teams win vs. a previously unbeaten Bengals team in Cincinnati on MNF either....

Sorry, but you don't get to say "lololol primetime Dalton lololol" and then count a win over Dalton in prime time as impressive. We have rules here.

gutshot

Any one else glad to have old yankee back? The eternal optimist YH that loved Bradford and everything Chip was doing was weird.

Neonsands

Neo Member
Mike Tomlin is 0-3 in Wild Card games.

Mike Tomlin hasn't won a road playoff game ever.

The last time the Steelers played a backup in the playoffs, they lost. This was against Tim Tebow.

These are some fun facts =D

Dragon

Banned
Maybe because Washington has been averaging 35 points a game for the last 4-5 weeks.

I hateeeee to disagree with you but they haven't. They haven't even averaged 30 :). I'm not saying they can't beat the Packers but they've beaten up on really shitty teams. They didn't beat a team with a winning record all year as far as I know.

KaYotiX

Banned
Packers have been garbage on Offense since the bye week.

I have zero faith in them, if they manage to win it will be because of the defense and thats something id never thought id say.

squicken

Any one else glad to have old yankee back? The eternal optimist YH that loved Bradford and everything Chip was doing was weird.

It's kind of the same guy. He knew he had as good a coach/GM/QB that they could get given the circumstances. What is the QB situation with Bradford gone? Howie is now GM again. Who replaces Chip? Chip did go 26-21

I am not. :(

It's kind of the same guy. He knew he had as good a coach/GM/QB that they could get given the circumstances. What is the QB situation with Bradford gone? Howie is now GM again. Who replaces Chip? Chip did go 26-21

Fun fact only one coach in NFL history won 26 games in his first 3 seasons with no prior NFL experience. Thank god we ran him off for a glorified accountant.

gutshot

I was a huge fan of Chip when he started but it was clear his offense was regressing year-to-year. I was willing to give him one more year, but I'm also OK with them moving on from him now. Is he like the only good football coach out there or something? Whoever they hire could be just as good or better than Chip. Seems silly to be all gloom-and-doom before they've even made a decision.

ESPN post on how DePodesta will help Cleveland, but this is the part I found most interesting

That's going to be a huge deal in player evaluation. Tracking the decline of players as they age, as the season progresses. I hope we get some of that as fans, though I am sure we won't, besides useless crap about how fast a guy ran on a kick return

A lot of NHL teams have been using similar data for a couple of years now. I know the LA Kings were one of the first teams to hop on it (and they've won 2 Stanley Cups this decade).

The SportsVU stuff has been pretty revolutionary for NBA analysis.

ShaneB

Ever since your ban, which must have been incredibly traumatic, you take a whole ton of words to say literally nothing.

Are you running for office? You're like that consultant from the latest season of Veep who is terrified of having their own opinion.

What's hilarious to me is you giving someone grief for not having their own opinion. Near 100% of your posts in the NFL threads involve you shitting on someone else's opinion, or posting random stats to say "look! my opinion is right!"

Your opinion on the Texans being better than the Chiefs was posting point differentials. Thanks for the insight! Any given Sunday any team can win.

And unless you live with Tabris, who gives a fuck what his furniture is? Jesus fucking Christ.

I was a huge fan of Chip when he started but it was clear his offense was regressing year-to-year. I was willing to give him one more year, but I'm also OK with them moving on from him now. Is he like the only good football coach out there or something? Whoever they hire could be just as good or better than Chip. Seems silly to be all gloom-and-doom before they've even made a decision.

The gloom and doom comes from them wanting a coach that will be buddy buddy with the players, and them insisting that the new coach be willing to work with Howie. What ever you think of Howie he has chased off every other person that he has worked with in the FO. The Eagles had a guy that was a great offensive mind. They game him one year to fix everything, which is ridiculous.

Furyous

All of this is cool but Browns need the right coach like say Lovie or Hue.

VikingsGAF, I love you and hope your team takes care of business this weekend.

How do the Texans plan to beat their opponent? Hoyer needs to pull of one of those gut wrenching vintage Brett Favre games where he just slings the ball around the field with reckless abandon.

bionic77

Mike Tomlin is 0-3 in Wild Card games.

Mike Tomlin hasn't won a road playoff game ever.

The last time the Steelers played a backup in the playoffs, they lost. This was against Tim Tebow.

These are some fun facts =D
They are playing the Bungles.

I believe The Bungles have never won a playoff game under Marvin.

Ohio teams shrink under the big lights the way your penis does when you get into a cold pool.

gutshot

The gloom and doom comes from them wanting a coach that will be buddy buddy with the players, and them insisting that the new coach be willing to work with Howie. What ever you think of Howie he has chased off every other person that he has worked with in the FO. The Eagles had a guy that was a great offensive mind. They game him one year to fix everything, which is ridiculous.

We know Howie and Chip didn't get along but Chip didn't get along with anybody. As far as we know, Reid didn't have any problem with him. I'm sure whatever coach comes in will be able to work with Howie just fine.

And they are looking for a coach who is both a good football mind AND can also connect with people. Given what just happened with Chip, that seems like two criteria that make sense for a coach.

squicken

I think Chip was is really good coach that needed the offseason to look at what he doing and adjust things. He probably lacked the temperament to coach in Philly, though. I was listening to a podcast and they said one of the things Reid loves about KC is that there aren't 50 media guys following the team.

It seems like Howie is the GM, and that can't be considered a good thing. If it's a rebuild, then maybe it isn't the time to have an expensive QB. But all that doesn't sound like an attractive job for a coach with several offers

e: Philly fans would know better, but I was under the impression that Banner, Howie and Reid were all constantly fighting for power in the second half of Reid's tenure

eznark

Banned
What's hilarious to me is you giving someone grief for not having their own opinion. Near 100% of your posts in the NFL threads involve you shitting on someone else's opinion, or posting random stats to say "look! my opinion is right!"

Your opinion on the Texans being better than the Chiefs was posting point differentials. Thanks for the insight! Any given Sunday any team can win.

And unless you live with Tabris, who gives a fuck what his furniture is? Jesus fucking Christ.

Exactly, if he doesn't post his opinion how can I discuss it, which is the point of a message board!

I've had quite a few posts comparing the Texans and Chiefs, you should read them, they are great!

bionic, bionic cares deeply. And I care about bionic.

Are you a Chiefs fan this week friend? I seem to recall one of the past few years you glommed onto them after a couple early wins.

Top Bottom