• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Wild Card |OT| - A Fraud Goes Wild

gutshot

I think Chip was is really good coach that needed the offseason to look at what he doing and adjust things. He probably lacked the temperament to coach in Philly, though. I was listening to a podcast and they said one of the things Reid loves about KC is that there aren't 50 media guys following the team.

It seems like Howie is the GM, and that can't be considered a good thing. If it's a rebuild, then maybe it isn't the time to have an expensive QB. But all that doesn't sound like an attractive job for a coach with several offers

e: Philly fans would know better, but I was under the impression that Banner, Howie and Reid were all constantly fighting for power in the second half of Reid's tenure

Howie as GM was instrumental in bringing in a lot of the talent that Chip either cut, traded or let walk. I'm not sure why Howie replacing Chip is a bad thing. The Eagles also consistently managed their money very smartly under Howie. Howie would have never signed off on the DeMarco Murray deal, for example.

I think the in-fighting was more between Banner and Roseman. Once Banner left, things were OK for the most part.

SonnyBoy

I hateeeee to disagree with you but they haven't. They haven't even averaged 30 :). I'm not saying they can't beat the Packers but they've beaten up on really shitty teams. They didn't beat a team with a winning record all year as far as I know.
You're right, it was 30 over the last 4 games specifically. I'm not arguing that they've beat anyone meaningful. But I'm not going to knock them for beating who's no their schedule. They've won what they've won, which is more than anyone expected and they've done so not by simply scraping by. They've often jumped out to 21 unanswered points in a few of these games.

The only reason I believe their scoring matters is because the Packers are missing a key defensive contributor in Shield and potentially another CB who didn't practice today.

All of this is cool but Browns need the right coach like say Lovie or Hue. Swing for the fences and try to lure John Fox.

VikingsGAF, I love you and hope your team takes care of business this weekend.

How do the Texans plan to beat their opponent? Hoyer needs to pull of one of those gut wrenching vintage Brett Favre games where he just slings the ball around the field with reckless abandon.

When John Fox is considered swinging for the fences.

Jesus Christ, Cleveland, I'm sorry.

Hindl

I think Chip was is really good coach that needed the offseason to look at what he doing and adjust things. He probably lacked the temperament to coach in Philly, though. I was listening to a podcast and they said one of the things Reid loves about KC is that there aren't 50 media guys following the team.

It seems like Howie is the GM, and that can't be considered a good thing. If it's a rebuild, then maybe it isn't the time to have an expensive QB. But all that doesn't sound like an attractive job for a coach with several offers

e: Philly fans would know better, but I was under the impression that Banner, Howie and Reid were all constantly fighting for power in the second half of Reid's tenure

This is my big problem. I'm not even sure if this is a full rebuild. That's part of the reason I want this HC search over with, so we can figure out what the hell we're doing. If the Eagles are going full rebuild, fine, burn this motherfucker down, ditch Bradford, and start the Sanchize to tank and build a team around him so we can slot in a good prospect QB in a few years. If the coach wants to try to work with what we got, I think we have a few pieces too. It's just so hard to tell where things will go

Neonsands

Neo Member
They are playing the Bungles.

I believe The Bungles have never won a playoff game under Marvin.

Ohio teams shrink under the big lights the way your penis does when you get into a cold pool.

It's cool and all, but there's no time like the present =D

I mean, if the Steelers looked dominant, I'd probably worry. But really not too worried even with McCarron out there.

They've faced what, 1 starting QB in over 2 months? And somehow the Steelers were still the 3rd worst defense against the pass? Like how do you even manage to do that?

Dragon

Banned
You're right, it was 30 over the last 4 games specifically. I'm not arguing that they've beat anyone meaningful. But I'm not going to knock them for beating who's no their schedule. They've won what they've won, which is more than anyone expected and they've done so not by simply scraping by. They've often jumped out to 21 unanswered points in a few of these games.

Hey I'm not shitting on them for a surprising season, and they are at home. My boss is a Skins fan and he still isn't sold on Cousins.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Ez told me that McCarthy was a great coach.

One of the best offensive minds in football. I don't think we have a coaching problem so much as a talent problem. The offense isn't working because they're literally throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks using what they have to work with. So if I had to point a finger, it's mostly at Ted Thompson and everyone evaluating talent. I think there was just a lot of hope that our receivers would pick up the slack after Jordy went down but the day of reckoning came and it turns out that we're actually not that great at evaluating the position!

So until that's all sorted, every team in the NFL has the blueprint for beating the Packers.

What's hilarious to me is you giving someone grief for not having their own opinion. Near 100% of your posts in the NFL threads involve you shitting on someone else's opinion, or posting random stats to say "look! my opinion is right!"

Your opinion on the Texans being better than the Chiefs was posting point differentials. Thanks for the insight! Any given Sunday any team can win.

And unless you live with Tabris, who gives a fuck what his furniture is? Jesus fucking Christ.

A Tabris defender! There really is a defense force for everything!

You're also describing 95% of the posts made here. Not sure what the problem is?

KaYotiX

Banned
One of the best offensive minds in football. I don't think we have a coaching problem so much as a talent problem. The offense isn't working because they're literally throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks using what they have to work with. So if I had to point a finger, it's mostly at Ted Thompson and everyone evaluating talent. I think there was just a lot of hope that our receivers would pick up the slack after Jordy went down but the day of reckoning came and it turns out that we're actually not that great at evaluating the position!

So until that's all sorted, every team in the NFL has the blueprint for beating the Packers.

I was really wanted to see what Ty Montgomery could do but he got hurt :( I have a feeling he could of made a small difference.

gutshot

This is my big problem. I'm not even sure if this is a full rebuild. That's part of the reason I want this HC search over with, so we can figure out what the hell we're doing. If the Eagles are going full rebuild, fine, burn this motherfucker down, ditch Bradford, and start the Sanchize to tank and build a team around him so we can slot in a good prospect QB in a few years. If the coach wants to try to work with what we got, I think we have a few pieces too. It's just so hard to tell where things will go

It doesn't need to be a full rebuild. Offensively, we need to rebuild the O-line but everywhere else we are set. Maybe draft a RB to replace Sproles. Defensively, we need to figure out if we will be 4-3 or stay 3-4. If the former, resign Curry, resign Thurmond and get some better depth at corner.

QB is the only position that is a huge question mark, obviously. I'd prefer not to sign Bradford just because it restricts what you can do financially with the rest of the roster. Draft someone, start Sanchez next year and hope the young guy pans out. That's pretty much the rebuild process right there.

Godslay

Banned
My opinion is I don't know how the game will turn out.

I think KC and Texans are more evenly matched then most people assume, based on what I've seen. I wouldn't be surprised if either team won to be honest.

Uncertainty is a perfectly valid opinion, but I'm not afraid to be wrong either.

If I was to pick a team either way, I'm not going to sit here and break my arm trying to pat my own back if the team I picked won or disappear if the team I picked got slaughtered.

Point is, who gives a shit?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I was really wanted to see what Ty Montgomery could do but he got hurt :( I have a feeling he could of made a small difference.

Probably.

I'm cynical in that right now James Jones is one of our best receivers --a guy that was released by two teams. I don't tend to think other teams are stupid so I'm guessing that that shows how bad we are at the position.

bionic77

It's cool and all, but there's no time like the present =D

I mean, if the Steelers looked dominant, I'd probably worry. But really not too worried even with McCarron out there.

They've faced what, 1 starting QB in over 2 months? And somehow the Steelers were still the 3rd worst defense against the pass? Like how do you even manage to do that?
We don't have Williams and that is a little worrying.

If Bryant comes to play I think we score 30+ and win this game.

If Bryant chokes and the entire offense is Brown I think it is 50/50.

This all assumes that your dirty ass team doesn't take out any more of our players.

squicken

I guess in football stuff

KC-HOU: Really just think this comes down to a big play or turnover. I trust Alex to avoid those more than Hoyer. But by no means would a Houston win surprise me. Reid is a really good coach, but game management can cost him in close games. Thing to watch for is HOU has terrible special teams, as usual. Field position battle could constantly have the field tilted in KC's favor b/c of that

PIT-CIN: AJ vs Ben? c'mon. The only thing in CIN favor is all the pressure in on PIT. I'm sure Steelers fans will dispute that, but they know they should win that game

GB-WAS: Good defenses stop GB's offense. WAS does not have a good defense. Kirk Cousins hits all his layups vs bad pass defenses and misses his 3s against good pass defenses. GB has a good pass defense

SEA-MIN: Decent weather and SEA romps. They probably will still. But the cold changes things. Love it. Easily the most anticipated game, just b/c the conditions are so unlike anything I have seen

eznark

Banned

I think he would have made a pretty significant difference. At the very least I think the way his injury lingered and was on again/off again precluded TT from making a move. I don't think it would have been a huge move, but I think he would have traded like a 6th for Myles White.

SonnyBoy

Hey I'm not shitting on them for a surprising season, and they are at home. My boss is a Skins fan and he still isn't sold on Cousins.
Oh no, I didn't take it that way at all. I just like explaining my rationale. I don't think anyone should be 100% sold on Cousins. What I am sold on is the philosophy and efforts of our new GM.

In regards to Cousins though... What he has accomplished was done without an offseason dedicated to him. I'd like to imagine that some degree of what's transpired is sustainable. Time will tell.

eznark

Banned
I guess in football stuff

KC-HOU: Really just think this comes down to a big play or turnover. I trust Alex to avoid those more than Hoyer. But by no means would a Houston win surprise me. Reid is a really good coach, but game management can cost him in close games. Thing to watch for is HOU has terrible special teams, as usual. Field position battle could constantly have the field tilted in KC's favor b/c of that

PIT-CIN: AJ vs Ben? c'mon. The only thing in CIN favor is all the pressure in on PIT. I'm sure Steelers fans will dispute that, but they know they should win that game

GB-WAS: Good defenses stop GB's offense. WAS does not have a good defense. Kirk Cousins hits all his layups vs bad pass defenses and misses his 3s against good pass defenses. GB has a good pass defense

SEA-MIN: Decent weather and SEA romps. They probably will still. But the cold changes things. Love it. Easily the most anticipated game, just b/c the conditions are so unlike anything I have seen

I pretty much agree with all of these verbatim. The Packers are dog shit, but Washington is the best possible match up for this team. They will lose by 200 in week 2.

I think the Texans probably win 4-0 on two Watt safeties.

Line_HTX

I pretty much agree with all of these verbatim. The Packers are dog shit, but Washington is the best possible match up for this team. They will lose by 200 in week 2.

I told you the Packers won by losing.

Greg

uuuughhhh, he was the one bright spot for me... feel like he would've made a big impact to be honest

looked like he gave a damn, more of a physical presence

It doesn't need to be a full rebuild. Offensively, we need to rebuild the O-line but everywhere else we are set. Maybe draft a RB to replace Sproles. Defensively, we need to figure out if we will be 4-3 or stay 3-4. If the former, resign Curry, resign Thurmond and get some better depth at corner.

QB is the only position that is a huge question mark, obviously. I'd prefer not to sign Bradford just because it restricts what you can do financially with the rest of the roster. Draft someone, start Sanchez next year and hope the young guy pans out. That's pretty much the rebuild process right there.

How is it not a full rebuild if you let Bradford walk? Buttfumble was terrible this year. I wouldnt be shocked at all to see them get rid of him. Bring back Bradford, get an experienced vet off the scrap heap and cross your fingers.

Hindl

Oh yeah I see that, I guess my big question of rebuild comes down to whether we resign Bradford. If we don't, we'd be able to retain a lot of talent with ease, which you mentioned. We could probably keep Curry, Thornton, and Thurmond, and extend Cox, as well as bring in some Gs through FA and use the draft for depth. The only problem is then we have a good team that's playing the QB carousel. The alternative is signing Bradford for a few years. That gives us stability at the QB position, and hopefully we can use FA and the draft to get him a decent O Line, which would also open up the rushing, which would help him as well. The flip side of this is that there's no way we'd be able to keep all of our potential FAs, with Thurmond and Curry being the most likely to walk. That'd be a real shame since Curry will do amazing in a 4-3, and Jenkins-Thurmond gave us our best tandem since the JJ days. I'd personally prefer keeping Bradford, because even if he is just average, it's much harder to hit on a QB than anywhere else. But either way has value, and that's why I just want to figure out what we're doing soon

jakncoke

Banned
Steelers going to win 31-17

AB will have 14 catches, ben 390 yards and 4 tds

Todman and the other guy will have 14 rushes for about 31 yards

SonnyBoy

The Packers are dog shit, but Washington is the best possible match up for this team.
The same has been said for both teams.

How has the Packers pass defense been without Sam Shields? I ask because he's still in concussion protocol.

random: he was injured vs Dallas, who also took out two of our defensive players with head/neck injuries.

eznark

Banned
The same has been said for both teams.

How has the Packers pass defense been without Sam Shields? I ask because he's still in concussion protocol.

random: he was injured vs Dallas, who also took out two of our defensive players with head/neck injuries.

They have given up an average of 175 yards passing the last four games.

squicken

Yeah I have no faith in GB vs any of the other teams. I thought GB would eventually flip a switch, and the offense would be its old self. Never happened. I guess I sorta see AZ as possibly being vulnerable on defense, so maybe on that one if it happens

cdyhybrid

32EkryV.jpg

ampere

The gloom and doom comes from them wanting a coach that will be buddy buddy with the players, and them insisting that the new coach be willing to work with Howie. What ever you think of Howie he has chased off every other person that he has worked with in the FO. The Eagles had a guy that was a great offensive mind. They game him one year to fix everything, which is ridiculous.

Let's be honest, it sounded like Chip didn't want to stay. Sure there's too sides to every story, but it sounds like he didn't fight for his job at all and was basically like, w/e fire me then

Howie as GM was instrumental in bringing in a lot of the talent that Chip either cut, traded or let walk. I'm not sure why Howie replacing Chip is a bad thing. The Eagles also consistently managed their money very smartly under Howie. Howie would have never signed off on the DeMarco Murray deal, for example.

I think the in-fighting was more between Banner and Roseman. Once Banner left, things were OK for the most part.
Wasn't Joe Banner the Eagles salary cap guru? Howie took over the salary cap function after Banner moved on if memory serves. The Eagles were still rolling over 9-10 million every year so the cap management didn't fall off of a cliff once Banner moved on but I have to imagine that Roseman didn't exactly reinvent the salary cap wheel when Banner moved on.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
My Steelers/Bengals wild card game preview:

Firstly, the Bengals are a very good team. They may have the most talented roster of players in the league. With the very notable exception of qb, there are no exploitable weaknesses on that team. The Steelers are extremely strong in some areas, but have very serious personnel issues in others.

Steelers O vs Bengals D

The Bengals like to play two high safeties. This is particularly important to ward against the deep shots Roethlisberger likes to take downfield. With the Steelers down to a scrub, third string, running back, it will be difficult for them to force the Bengals to break that tendency. In order for Pittsburgh to be successful, Ben will need to be patient, make good decisions and throws. Basically dink and dunk it down the field. The Bengals need to play their base defense and wait for the mistakes. They have intercepted Ben 4 times this year, including 3 by Reggie Nelson who loves to bait Roethlisberger into throwing ill advised deep shots.

Bengals O vs Steelers D

Since Andy Dalton broke his hand tackling Stephon Tuitt after a bad interception in week 14, AJ McCarron has been the Bengals starting qb. OC Hue Jackson has been calling more running plays and pap's to ease the pressure on his young qb. Fortunately for the Steelers, they are good against the run, particularly out of their base defense. Not so good out of the nickel, but decent. The Steelers are not good against the pass, particularly out of their base defense, where qb's generally just look for Antwon Blake and then throw it in his direction. The Bengals will be fine if they can make the running game work and not get McCarron into a bevy of 3rd and longs.

Overall

As a Steeler fan, I don't feel good about this game. At all. The offense has been sputtering for several weeks. Ben throwing lots of interceptions, Martavis Bryant regressing and DeAngelo Williams being out are all bad signs. It's really all about Roethlisberger coming out and playing well. Getting a lead will allow the defense to get after McCarron and force him into mistakes. If Ben plays poorly, all bets are off.

Neonsands

Neo Member
We don't have Williams and that is a little worrying.

If Bryant comes to play I think we score 30+ and win this game.

If Bryant chokes and the entire offense is Brown I think it is 50/50.

This all assumes that your dirty ass team doesn't take out any more of our players.

30+? Really? The only reason you got that the second game was because of costly turnovers by a QB who got thrown out there without practice and preparation. The guy won't turn the football over this time, that's his thing. Your pass rush will get sacks, but he won't turn the ball over.

Antonio Brown isn't going to do much. He has average 60 yards a game against us and had the only 1 TD Ben threw against us. That's 1 TD against 4 INTs. Without a solid runningback to score for you guys, Boswell is going to have put in a lot of work. Plus Ben hasn't exactly cleaned up his turnovers like McCarron. 6 over 3 games? He has 4 in two against us. That's not going to change now that we're facing him with a healthy defense again.

And dirty team? I'm offended. Burfict just learned to play from Harrison, that's why we signed him for Burfict's rookie year. At least our offense plays clean, can't say the same for you guys. I mean, Antonio Brown is a phenomenal talent, but man is he a diva. Punching and starting fights with our corners. Diving at our players low after a play. That's just wuss stuff. Plus your offensive line keeps finding new ways to reinvent dirty play. Eye gouging, head hunting, shoving hands where the sun don't shine. How do you even support that?

Top Bottom