• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 1 |OT| - Look, Are You Ready for Some Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tall4Life

LOL, lets see dougie even make the playoffs before we proclaim that he will go farther then Chip did.

304-coop-thumbs-up-sonny-jim.gif

JABEE

Well, we went from going undefeated in the regular season to not making the playoffs after Brady got hurt, and we got blown out by the Bills of all teams last season.
There was obviously a drop off, but that’s a special circumstance. They were still a good team after losing their starting QB.

This is the first NFL season that I haven't had a major cable/dish provider. I switched over to YouTube TV last month, and so I'm anxious to see how this holds up with the NFL.

There's already a few oddities, like how you can stream just about anything on any device you own, but if you try to stream NFL football on your phone or tablet, Verizon blocks it out because they have exclusive phone streaming rights (which is insane), yet you can broadcast that same stream to your TV, or watch it on your computer....

It's so asinine.

Only thing I'll miss is Red Zone really, and we'll see about everything else. I won't have NFL network either but NFL network seemingly puts almost all of their stuff on YouTube, and highlights of games are on YOuTube within minutes of the finish... so I'll probably be alright.

There was obviously a drop off, but that's a special circumstance. They were still a good team after losing their starting QB.

They won 5 fewer games

Yeah, this is something I like to reiterate when the Brady -> Cassel season comes up as a reason for why Brady isn't great, or something. The argument goes, "New England was still good and Cassel obviously sucks so BRady isn't that big of a difference," but the difference is 5 wins between Brady and Cassell, which is pretty damn significant.

For instance, Miami went 10-6 last year with Ryan Tannehill (for almost all of the season), going to the playoffs. Tannehill is out this whole year. If Miami goes 5-11 this year, then that's going to seem like a massive drop off and people would think "Wow, Tannehill is really value to the Dolphins... they're a playoff team with him and they're a terrible team without him." But it's still 5 games. Likewise, the Patriots in 2007 were 16-0 with Brady, and then with almost the same team a year later, they were 11-5, a difference of 5 games, and one team that went to the Super Bowl and another team that didn't make the playoffs.

LAst year the Colts were what, 8-8 with Andrew Luck (or 8-7, he didn't start the one game), and let's say Andrew Luck is somehow out for the season or misses most of the games this year, and they go 3-13, people would consider that a huge drop off.

Another example is the 2015 Denver Broncos, who went 12-4 with Peyton Manning and Bork as QB, first in the AFC. And then the next year, they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs with Trevor Simian. A lot of people would consider the 2015->2016 Broncos a huge step back, from being a dominant AFC team and eventual Super Bowl winner, and then finishing 3rd in their division and missing the playoffs. But that's just a difference of 3 games, it's about ~40% less of a dropoff than 2007 New England (with Brady) to 2008 New England (without Brady), and of course the Patriots were the dominant AFC team in 2007, famously lost that Super Bowl, and then finished 3rd in their division the next year.

Tall4Life

There was obviously a drop off, but that’s a special circumstance. They were still a good team after losing their starting QB.

Again, they went from being undefeated in the regular season, to keeping a majority of that lineup, to not making the playoffs that year. That's a pretty big drop off. Wonder what could explain it.

JABEE

Again, they went from being undefeated in the regular season, to keeping a majority of that lineup, to not making the playoffs that year. That's a pretty big drop off. Wonder what could explain it.
The QB being gone and the historic 18-1 season before.

I’m not saying Tom Brady isn’t a great QB. I’m saying most teams can’t survive a 3-5 game drop-off. It’s why Kelly’s first two seasons in the NFL are impressive.

The QB being gone and the historic 18-1 season before.

I’m not saying Tom Brady isn’t a great QB. I’m saying most teams can’t survive a 3-5 game drop-off. It’s why Kelly’s first two seasons in the NFL are impressive.

Yeah, absolutely. Denver's fall off the map last season is evidence of that. Manning wasn't even very good for most of the 2015 season, but those 3 losses took them from clear #1 in the AFC and eventual Super Bowl winners (though not favorites going into the game) to an also-ran in the AFC West.

The whole "5 game drop off" suggests the pats were going undefeated again with Brady.

Might I remind everyone that only one team has gone undefeated all the way in the Superbowl Era...

dolphins721.jpg

(and only 3 teams during the season)

The Pats were so much worse after Brady went down that they couldn't even beat the wildcat Dolphins

smh Bill is a fraud

Tall4Life

The whole "5 game drop off" suggests the pats were going undefeated again with Brady.

Might I remind everyone that only one team has gone undefeated all the way in the Superbowl Era...

dolphins721.jpg

(and only 3 teams during the season)

smh Bill is a fraud

They would've been closer to 16-0 if not 16-0 again considering they'd be working with prime Tom Brady coming off of an MVP year, retaining their lineup, and having the easiest schedule in the league.

They would've been closer to 16-0 if not 16-0 again considering they'd be working with prime Tom Brady coming off of an MVP year, retaining their lineup, and having the easiest schedule in the league.

These are win totals after 2007

They are a lot closer to 11 than to 16.

16 wins was an anomaly and nothing more. The pats aren't "5 wins" better with Brady.

JABEE

These are win totals after 2007

They are a lot closer to 11 than to 16.

16 wins was an anomaly and nothing more. The pats aren't "5 wins" better with Brady.

They are a better team with Tom Brady, but look at the beginning of last season during Brady’s suspension for cheating. Belicheat makes things work.

Bread

Banned
Wish I could have seen the Pats go 16-0. Oh well, having them win the super bowl against CDY's Seattle team was a hell of an introduction to the sport!

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
All I can say is go 9ers and try not to drink the hand sanitizer on my desk. I think it'll be a better year coming from last year...

Bread

Banned
I have heard from sources close to BG that he is resorting to blood magic to make Myles "His" Garrett healthy again.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When you BeCleve again, and you go 8-8. Then he will return, and not before."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom