• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 4 |OT| Taking a stand by taking a knee

Hindl

Oh btw YH I saw this last night:
Let me know when Dougie and wentz put together an offense as good as chips. Oh right it will never ever fucking happen.
And meant to look into it but got sidetracked. But I was bored at work and decided to compare Pederson's 2017 so far:
Alex Smith‏
@Alex_SmithPHI

#Eagles team rankings:
Total Offense 9th
Points/Game 10th
1st Downs/Game 3rd
3rd Down Eff. T-3rd
Rushing Yards/Game 9th
TOP 1st
11:59 AM - 25 Sep 2017

Compared to Chip's 2015:
Total Offense 12th
Points/Game 13th
1st Downs/Game 7th
3rd Down Eff. 15th
Rushing Yards/Game 15th
TOP 32nd

By every metric, the Eagles offense so far in 2017 is better than Chip's last year in 2015. So it happened

Jarnet87

Walking out the Target with my SNES

200.gif

I hope all you JCBs get serviced today

LionPride

Banned
I believe what Danny said after the game, he doesn't have a rep of being a dirty player. Now it was a dirty hit, but I don't think he was tryna kill Davantae

A suspension for a game and a fine is probably what could happen

brentech

Waking up and thinking about the Adams hit still pisses me off. Dudes helmet looked like it wanted to shatter when you watch it in slow mo

Sephzilla

If there's any silver lining I can take from all of the Packer injuries, it's that maybe it means the team will be fairly healthy come late in the season for a playoff push.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It is truly baffling that the largest sport in the country is completely incapable of fixing its officiating issues.

To be fair, the sport is a lot harder to officiate than Baseball or many other sports. Also they turned some of the Ref's into full time employees now, which should help. But seriously, I would not want that job, hardest game ever to ref

Sephzilla

It doesn't help that NFL refs seem like some of the most protected people in football. Never have to face the press and very rarely get called out publicly when they fuck up. Case in point, nothing is probably going to happen from that terrible tipped punt call

CCS

Banned
It is truly baffling that the largest sport in the country is completely incapable of fixing its officiating issues.

It is weird, I've refereed before (not football) so I know being a ref is hard but the number of shockingly wrong decisions seems way too high.

KaYotiX

Banned
It doesn't help that NFL refs seem like some of the most protected people in football. Never have to face the press and very rarely get called out publicly when they fuck up. Case in point, nothing is probably going to happen from that terrible tipped punt call

What I don't get is alot of these refs have been doing it for over a decade and still have issues....

Sephzilla

Name a sport where fans are happy with the referees.

Boxing? UFC? I usually don't hear too much complaining about hockey refs at least in comparison to other sports.

What I don't get is alot of these refs have been doing it for over a decade and still have issues....

I hate to sound ageist but I wonder how much age factors into some of these missed/bad calls. Isn't the average age of an NFL referee somewhere in the 50s?

Baseball still has the worst officials in sports when you have certain umpires who still think the game is about them (Joe West)

CCS

Banned
Boxing? UFC? I usually don't hear too much complaining about hockey refs at least in comparison to other sports.

I hate to sound ageist but I wonder how much age factors into some of these missed/bad calls. Isn't the average age of an NFL referee somewhere in the 50s?

Baseball still has the worst officials in sports when you have certain umpires who still think the game is about them (Joe West)

Rugby fans aren't generally too angry about the refereeing either. Obviously you get the occasional exception, but I feel like it's less often.

Fox318

Plenty of complaining in Boxing and MMA most of it is due to Stoppages.

gutshot

A little nugget for Yankee this morning....

Howie discovered Jason Peters:

Banner: What actually happened was he was on the practice squad of the Bills, and Howie [Roseman] was actually watching tape. He came to me and to Andy, and he said, ‘This guy's on a practice squad. He looks to me like he has some real potential. And I think if we put him on a roster, we could get him to move.' At the time, I forget what was going on with minor injuries and things, but the decision was made that it just wasn't the right time to try to move somebody off the roster for a projection. And we decided to just leave it alone.

So we put it aside, and then I had remembered this conversation. And when Howie brought it up, we all watched the tape and we all agreed that he found somebody that looked like he had a chance to develop even though he'd never played offensive line. I had kept that in my mind from this original thing that Howie had brought up and encouraged us to do. When I saw he was having a contract dispute with the Bills, I went back to Howie and Andy and said, ‘You know, remember the story, blah, blah, blah, and maybe there's a chance to get this guy.'

Now obviously he was an established player and had proven that he was not only going to develop but be a top-tier guy. And Howie was immediately excited by the thought of feeling that out. Andy was a little reluctant from some things he had heard about intangible stuff. But he made a few calls, did some research and was like, ‘You know what? Absolutely. Let's go see if we can make this happen.

And no doubt, one of the best, some could argue the best acquisition we made or the franchise has made in a very, very long time. But it started with Howie actually noticing him when he was on the practice squad. And then this follow-up from my remembering that when he started getting in this dispute over his contract with the Bills.

Camwi

UFC refs get shit all the time, whether it be for early stoppages, or especially for late stoppages. Usually it's the newer guys you've never heard of before.

Then again, there are some veteran refs that are pretty much flawless every fight.

effzee

EAGLES: Cox, Destiny, Watkins, and Graham are out.

I guess this means McLeod is going to play. Sucks that Cox is out but at least a starting safety is back. The major breakdowns in the pass D were by his backups.

Hindl

EAGLES: Cox, Destiny, Watkins, and Graham are out.

I guess this means McLeod is going to play. Sucks that Cox is out but at least a starting safety is back. The major breakdowns in the pass D were by his backups.
Fuck for a second I thought you meant BG and I was gonna immediately chalk this up at as a loss. I forgot Corey Graham is the backup safety

effzee

Fuck for a second I thought you meant BG and I was gonna immediately chalk this up at as a loss. I forgot Corey Graham is the backup safety

Ha should have specified.

Graham, Barnett, and Long were neutralized last week cause of the quick release pass attack by Eli. Interested to see how the Dline gets back on track. They need to pressure Rivers into throwing INTs, which he is prone to do.

Chargers run D is pretty bad so hopefully, Doug keeps calling plenty of run plays.

Hindl

Ha should have specified.

Graham, Barnett, and Long were neutralized last week cause of the quick release pass attack by Eli. Interested to see how the Dline gets back on track. They need to pressure Rivers into throwing INTs, which he is prone to do.

Chargers run D is pretty bad so hopefully, Doug keeps calling plenty of run plays.
Yeah, the ball was getting out of Eli's hand incredibly quickly. Almost half a second faster than the rest of the league. It was a conservative game plan letting them rack up the short yards, but it was working till half the starters were out. Against Rivers I think he'll hold it longer and they'll get some sacks. And yeah, hopefully Doug continues to pound the ball, or at least Carson audible into them. Ingram and Bosa worry me, but the Eagles did well against JPP and Vernon. Hopefully with Wis being the starter the OL will start to settle. I don't think Seumalo was completely to blame, I just think he's a little small for a guard and Kelce is small for a center. Having them next to each other was a bad idea, but now Wis is next to Kelce.

Oh btw YH I saw this last night:

And meant to look into it but got sidetracked. But I was bored at work and decided to compare Pederson's 2017 so far:

Compared to Chip's 2015:

By every metric, the Eagles offense so far in 2017 is better than Chip's last year in 2015. So it happened

Still a lot of fottball left to be played this year but fine maybe dougies best offense will be slightly better then Chip's worst. yay

Even a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut. I also like in that story how Howie went to Banner and Ried with this idea about a player that they could just pick up and both guys were like nah were good.

Man, looking at the stats for last nights game is odd. Chicago had more yards,more first downs, higher time of possession, and few punts. Still got fucking crushed.

Turnovers are a bitch.

Sephzilla

During a conversation about the Danny Trevathan hit someone brought up the dirty hit Warren Sapp put on Chad Clifton way back in the day. Even though I never thought Mike Sherman was a fantastic NFL coach, I'll always respect him for going out on the field and getting right in Sapp's face about it. Wish McCarthy would show some fire on that level once.

Best part of the whole Sapp/Sherman thing was how shook Sapp was that Sherman called him out over it.

Hindl

Still a lot of fottball left to be played this year but fine maybe dougies best offense will be slightly better then Chip's worst. yay

Even a blind squirrel will occasionally find a nut. I also like in that story how Howie went to Banner and Ried with this idea about a player that they could just pick up and both guys were like nah were good.

Alright then let's look a Chip's best year - 2013:
Total Offense 2nd
Points/Game 6th
1st Downs/Game 5th
3rd Down Eff. 19th
Rushing Yards/Game 1st
TOP 32nd
And again, Doug's numbers:
Alex Smith‏
@Alex_SmithPHI

#Eagles team rankings:
Total Offense 9th
Points/Game 10th
1st Downs/Game 3rd
3rd Down Eff. T-3rd
Rushing Yards/Game 9th
TOP 1st
11:59 AM - 25 Sep 2017
Better in Points/Game, Rushing Yards, and Total Offense. still worse in 1st Downs/Game, 3rd Down Eff., and TOP. So a better offense than Doug, but not insanely better.

Doug is a fine offensive mind and you wildly underrate him because you have the same irrational dislike for him that half of Philly seems to have. I'm not saying this offensive genius or one of the greatest coaches ever, but he's done alright for a second year coach. The offense is inconsistent but most of that is down to the execution since when you look at the film, there are players open, it's just either Wentz missing the throw or someone not hitting a running lane hard enough. He's shown adaptability and changing his scheme to get the best matchups. Yet all of that goes overlooked, and when he makes any mistake he gets torn to bits. All I'm saying is give him a chance. The players love playing for him, he can be creative, and I'd also note the team is very disciplined, especially compared to the Chip or later Andy years. A lot less flags nowadays. He could flame out, but right now the Eagles are in the driver's seat, 2-0 in the division and conference, and they've done it with various injuries to the defense, the strength of this team, the first two weeks. It's his second year and things are looking pretty good

Sulik2

Name a sport where fans are happy with the referees.

A fair point, but the NFL and the NBA are the two leagues who are criticized the most and in both cases refs directly determine the outcome of games leading to increased criticism. Its especially egregious in the NFL where the game design has regular stoppages that allow for replay to get every single call correct easily if replay was used properly.

Afrikan

Not gonna lie, yeeeears ago I was disappointed when he changed positions from TightEnd. Coming out of the draft, after watching all those college highlights, I couldn't wait to see a 6' 340 TE running routes and running defenders over in the NFL.

He looked like a created character, to cheat a football game.

JABEE

By "nut" you mean Hall of Fame LT. :)

I do not think my dislike for Doug is irrational at all. He got a job that he absolutely did not deserve and he has already bungled away multiple wins due to dumb decisions. I do agree that a lot of the hate directed towards him is due to how he speaks. It is awful listening to his press conferences. It is not Doug's fault that the eagles offered him the job, but until he is gone he is going to be the one who gets the majority or the anger. People didn't yell about Brahman all the time when he hired kotite, they directed their anger at Ritchie. That is just the way it goes.

By "nut" you mean Hall of Fame LT. :)
Would we even be hearing this story if Peter's hadn't turned out to be good? Andy and Joe believed in Howie's opinion so little that they wouldn't even use a roster spot on a guy he said would be good. So congrats Howie you were right about Peters should we list all the players like Marcus Smith that he was totally wrong about?

Top Bottom