• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 4 |OT| Taking a stand by taking a knee

MechDX

DK3E1-eU8AEVNR2.jpg:large

lol. Fahey is such a thin skinned tool.

LionPride

Banned
Nah 4 is perfectly fine for a hit that could have crippled a man
For a man who ain't have a history of that shit and seemed legitimately remorseful and like he didn't realize just how fast he was going or that Adams was stopped dead in his tracks? A man who deadass did not think he caught him in the helmet?

Chip Kelly sucks

Speaking of which, Eagle bros, remember how when Chip Kelly was coach during the Eagles v Chargers game and lost the game in his first season? It was like 24-27 with like 3 minutes left on the clock and instead of taking his time and running clock out Chip kept up with the hurry up offense, scored with plenty of time left on the clock, then the Chargers scored with the leftover time and won the game?

Chip lost that game because he didn't know how to manage clock and his offense was one dimensional.

juicyb

For a man who ain't have a history of that shit and seemed legitimately remorseful and like he didn't realize just how fast he was going or that Adams was stopped dead in his tracks? A man who deadass did not think he caught him in the helmet?

You don't lead with your helmet, regardless of if hes a runner. He was stood up and not going anywhere. The play was for all intents and purposes dead. Speculation regarding his level of remorse is just that, speculation. This isn't about his history, it's about the present and setting a precedent for shit like this to stop.

LionPride

Banned
You don't lead with your helmet, regardless of if hes a runner. He was stood up and not going anywhere. The play was for all intents and purposes dead. Speculation regarding his level of remorse is just that, speculation. This isn't about his history, it's about the present and setting a precedent for shit like this to stop.
It ain't speculation when it's coming from a post game interview

Pepiope

Alright then let's look a Chip's best year - 2013:

And again, Doug's numbers:

Better in Points/Game, Rushing Yards, and Total Offense. still worse in 1st Downs/Game, 3rd Down Eff., and TOP. So a better offense than Doug, but not insanely better.

Doug is a fine offensive mind and you wildly underrate him because you have the same irrational dislike for him that half of Philly seems to have. I'm not saying this offensive genius or one of the greatest coaches ever, but he's done alright for a second year coach. The offense is inconsistent but most of that is down to the execution since when you look at the film, there are players open, it's just either Wentz missing the throw or someone not hitting a running lane hard enough. He's shown adaptability and changing his scheme to get the best matchups. Yet all of that goes overlooked, and when he makes any mistake he gets torn to bits. All I'm saying is give him a chance. The players love playing for him, he can be creative, and I'd also note the team is very disciplined, especially compared to the Chip or later Andy years. A lot less flags nowadays. He could flame out, but right now the Eagles are in the driver's seat, 2-0 in the division and conference, and they've done it with various injuries to the defense, the strength of this team, the first two weeks. It's his second year and things are looking pretty good
I don't think you can compare just offenses. Chip is a special case. The speed he ran the offense hurt the defense. Overall we're easily a better team than any year of chip Kelly if the offense keeps up at this pace.

Sephzilla

Yes, because it was a dirty hit that was easily preventable

juicyb

I'm willing to believe 3-5 minutes of someone talking about what they did and how it all happened over people on the internet who believe the worst in someone. I'm sorry.

Alright. Just letting you know, regardless of the emotion AFTER the fact, his action in that moment was malicious and it should be judged as such

effzee

I don't think you can compare just offenses. Chip is a special case. The speed he ran the offense hurt the defense. Overall we're easily a better team than any year of chip Kelly if the offense keeps up at this pace.

LOL 3 games in we are better than Chip's first 2 years when the team won 10 games.

Let's finish the season at least.

BTW while Doug might turn out to be the greatest coach ever and win multiple SB for the Eagles, the hate against him or the choice of him is not irrational.

We all know why he was brought in. If it works it works, but if he doesn't, then we know exactly why this team wasted Went's prime years.

lol this isn't serious is it
Did you not see the xxxtension thread that got hurt him banned. He seems to stan only for people who injure others apparently . Dude should get a minimum 4 game suspension. He was stood up with progress stopped and he tee’d him up for an extremely dirty hit that could have seriously injured someone. Has no place in the game.

So Eagles are guaranteed to win at least 11 games and a playoff game this year, right?

Hindl

Yeah I know just pointing out Doug's offense isn't crazy behind Chip. The defense is the strength of this team but it's not carrying them
So Eagles are guaranteed to win at least 11 games and a playoff game this year, right?
If the team doesn't get battered by injuries I don't actually think that's an unrealistic expectation

Yeah I know just pointing out Doug's offense isn't crazy behind Chip. The defense is the strength of this team but it's not carrying them

If the team doesn't get battered by injuries I don't actually think that's an unrealistic expectation

Didn't the D shut out the Giants for 3 quarters on Sunday? It definitely seems like it is keeping the team in games while the gets things figured out.

Hindl

Didn't the D shut out the Giants for 3 quarters on Sunday? It definitely seems like it is keeping the team in games while the gets things figured out.
Yeah that's why I said it's the strength, but the offense still put up 27 points against a great Giants defense. It's not like this is a 2015 Broncos situation where an elite D is carrying a terrible O. By the end of the season it'll probably average out to an above average offense putting up enough points and an elite D shutting down opponents

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm not sure Trevathan gets a suspension, frankly. He'll definitely be fined. But the guy has no history of being a dirty player, so I'm going to take him at his word. If that was Burfict or Pacman or any other guy with a suspect track record, it'd be a completely different story.

LionPride

Banned
Did you not see the xxxtension thread that got hurt him banned. He seems to stan only for people who injure others apparently . Dude should get a minimum 4 game suspension. He was stood up with progress stopped and he tee’d him up for an extremely dirty hit that could have seriously injured someone. Has no place in the game.
Nigga if you gon bring up old shit at least do so correctly lmao. Even when I say I hate that nigga people still wanna call me a stan lol

Doomsayer

That was absolutely a dirty hit yesterday and I do believe he should be suspended for 1 game.

If he was ejected yesterday, I'd say no suspension. Since he stayed though.

Gigglepoo

My buddy didn't even think the Trevathan hit should have been penalized. I think the league has to come down hard on him if they actually care about player safety. It doesn't matter if he has a history or not, that kind of violence cannot be condoned.

Karish

How are you people advocating for a short suspension? If we want football to stay around we need to come down hard on this shit.

Won't be much longer before more Chicago fans than the ones with intelligence start missing Cutler too

(Before anyone complains: yes, he's a bad QB. Yes, he's also the best QB the Bears have had in decades. Yes, it's going to be a long next decade-plus for the team trying to find the next merely-bad QB)

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Takkarist McKinley‏Verified account @Takk 26m26 minutes ago

I'm dead 💀💀💀💀💀 I gotta buy my dread back 😂
DK6JXQsW0AEZEQH.jpg

In 3 games he already has 1/3 of his sack total for last year?!?!? I thought that Howie fixed the ol this offseason. weird.

Unfortunately Seumalo and Warmack don't cut it this year. I really hope one of them comes around by next year. Wentz is holding on to the ball too long though. It's really annoying.

Doomsayer

Won't be much longer before more Chicago fans than the ones with intelligence start missing Cutler too

(Before anyone complains: yes, he's a bad QB. Yes, he's also the best QB the Bears have had in decades. Yes, it's going to be a long next decade-plus for the team trying to find the next merely-bad QB)

They should honestly just send Trubisky out there. Let the kid play.

Hindl

Unfortunately Seumalo and Warmack don't cut it this year. I really hope one of them comes around by next year. Wentz is holding on to the ball too long though. It's really annoying.
Warmack's just bad, but we knew that going in. With Seumalo, LG is pretty much the only position he's never played, and also when he's in you have a small LG playing next to a small C. Not a great recipe for success If next year they cut Kelce for Seumalo, he'll be at his natural position, surrounded by two huge guys in Wis (hopefully) and Brooks.

Warmack's just bad, but we knew that going in. With Seumalo, LG is pretty much the only position he's never played, and also when he's in you have a small LG playing next to a small C. Not a great recipe for success If next year they cut Kelce for Seumalo, he'll be at his natural position, surrounded by two huge guys in Wis (hopefully) and Brooks.

I see no reason to cut Kelce because he's played lights out this year so far. He's been great. Rather have him if he keeps this up than an unknown.

If you want these crazy hits to stop, you've gotta take away helmets.

Your knee-jerk reaction will say it's crazy, but if you stop and actually think about it, it's not an illogical action.

Players rely on the helmet not as protection now, but as a weapon. The majority of defenders eschew a proper wrap-up tackle and instead just try to blow the ballcarrier up with a skull bash.

If you remove the helmet, defenders will have to actually learn to tackle again and worry about putting their own body at risk. Until that happens, we're never going to see defenders worry about leading with their helmet. It's just like how amateur boxing took away the headgear because it actually contributed to more head injuries due to the boxers' thinking the headgear meant they'd be okay with less defense.

Top Bottom