• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL '23/'24 |OT| Bradyless Edition

Who will win Super Bowl LVIII

• Kansas City Chiefs

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Buffalo Bills

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • San Francisco 49ers

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Cincinnati Bengals

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Baltimore Ravens

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• New York Jets

• Detroit Lions

• Los Angeles Chargers

• Seattle Seahawks

• Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Minnesota Vikings

• New Orleans Saints

• Atlanta Falcons

• Cleveland Browns

• New York Giants

• Denver Broncos

• Green Bay Packers

• Tennessee Titans

• New England Patriots

• Carolina Panthers

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This feels like it's over already. Even more of a mismatch than expected. I might second screen the 2nd half and play some bloodborne or something on the big screen.

Sensational game by Allen so far.
Always doubted him but this season he's been great.

Still don't see them getting their first title.
Ravens/Niners are just too much even though the Bills have been on a roll recently.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Bills got borked by the injury fairy AGAIN tonight.

Christian Benford, Taron Johnson, and Terrel Bernard are 3 (plus) defenders that won't be playing next week. Babylon Spector (backup) is done too, wtf?!

Buffalo defense playing on fumes at this point. Damn you Kansas City and Taylor Swift!

SpiceRacz

Will it get any better with Dak at qb? Do people honestly think that once McCarthy disappears this team starts winning playoff games? People are begging for Belichick but what has he done since Brady left?

Any of the young OC's will want young teams to build around.

If (when) Quinn leaves they will be looking for a d coordinator too.

Good luck finding a coach that will tolerate Jerry for 2-4 years.

McCarthy is easier to replace than Dak. If you get rid of Dak, who do you replace him with? What are the other options out there? I'd rather have Belichick (he didn't have a roster anywhere as good as this Dallas team) or Vrabel over McCarthy. Not to mention, Mike Tomlin could potentially be available.

bender

What time is it?
At least the Eagles lost. Fuck the Eagles.

If you get rid of Dak, who do you replace him with?

This is faulty logic. He's an average QB that shrinks against quality opponents. He still has problems reading defenses which leads to bad decisions and he's also incredibly inaccurate. He's certainly nowhere near the contract he is currently on and because his CAP hit is so massive next season, his deal will probably get reworked and he'll end up being the highest paid player of all time (Dak has all the leverage because of the no trade clause, his massive CAP hit next season, and the FO needing to work out deals with so many other players). That's just nuts. With Ceedee and Micah due for extension, those three players alone will account for $125M+ which means they'll have to let a lot of expiring contracts walk so they'll be a worse team next year from a personnel standpoint. Sometimes you need to go backwards to move forwards to get off the treadmill of mediocrity. They should just bite the bullet and play out the final season of Dak's contract with that massive CAP hit. I'd also think long and hard about Ceedee's future. He's played a lot better than I thought he ever would, but while he's not outwardly emotional, he can get lost in his own head which is what we saw on Sunday. Can't really blame him when his QB is sucking so badly but is that who you want to pay $30M a year to when the future of the QB position is so murky? Jerry will never do this as he doesn't like using high draft picks on QBs for reasons and he's running out of years on this earth. I say there is a 90% chance Dak gets extended. I also wouldn't rule out McCarthy being back though I would put those odds much lower (Jerry doesn't like firing coaches under contract and having to pay them and rumors are that's why McCarthy was back this season). Hopefully the coach that is brought in can put Dak's worth in proper perspective. The dude just isn't good enough to carry a team and that's not someone you pay max money to.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

At least the Eagles lost. Fuck the Eagles.

This is faulty logic. He's an average QB that shrinks against quality opponents. He still has problems reading defenses which leads to bad decisions and he's also incredibly inaccurate. He's certainly nowhere near the contract he is currently on and because his CAP hit is so massive next season, his deal will probably get reworked and he'll end up being the highest paid player of all time (Dak has all the leverage because of the no trade clause, his massive CAP hit next season, and the FO needing to work out deals with so many other players). That's just nuts. With Ceedee and Micah due for extension, those three players alone will account for $125M+ which means they'll have to let a lot of expiring contracts walk so they'll be a worse team next year from a personnel standpoint. Sometimes you need to go backwards to move forwards to get off the treadmill of mediocrity. They should just bite the bullet and play out the final season of Dak's contract with that massive CAP hit. I'd also think long and hard about Ceedee's future. He's played a lot better than I thought he ever would, but while he's not outwardly emotional, he can get lost in his own head which is what we saw on Sunday. Can't really blame him when his QB is sucking so badly but is that who you want to pay $30M a year to when the future of the QB position is so murky? Jerry will never do this as he doesn't like using high draft picks on QBs for reasons and he's running out of years on this earth. I say there is a 90% chance Dak gets extended. I also wouldn't rule out McCarthy being back though I would put those odds much lower (Jerry doesn't like firing coaches under contract and having to pay them and rumors are that's why McCarthy was back this season). Hopefully the coach that is brought in can put Dak's worth in proper perspective. The dude just isn't good enough to carry a team and that's not someone you pay max money to.

I'm not defending Dak or trying to justify his contract. I'm saying it's easier to replace the coach than to replace the QB at this point.

bender

What time is it?
I'm not defending Dak or trying to justify his contract. I'm saying it's easier to replace the coach than to replace the QB at this point.

Gotcha. I just want off the treadmill of mediocrity. Dak often has me pining for Romo. But really I'm pining for those post-Aikman years full of has-been, never-was, and baseball hopefuls so we can finally get a high draft pick with real arm talent.

Moneal

Dak has shown his ceiling. He is essentially the NFL version of James Harden. Except Harden can win a couple games. The Cowboys shouldn't keep doing this dance of stats galore in the regular season and bomb in the playoffs.

bender

What time is it?

Dak has shown his ceiling. He is essentially the NFL version of James Harden. Except Harden can win a couple games. The Cowboys shouldn't keep doing this dance of stats galore in the regular season and bomb in the playoffs.

Harden has way more talent. Dak is a way better person a leader. A better comp, oddly enough is in Dallas. Dwight Powell.

SpiceRacz

Who can they realistically go out and get that's an upgrade over Dak?

Mortisfacio

NFL really needs to re-adjust their rules to running QBs. That 52 yard TD run from Allen, Allen slows down and causes the defense to stop so they don't get penalized, then he breaks for the TD

NFL needs to treat running QBs like any other person with the ball. Allow them to get blown up without getting penalized for it.

XXL

Happy You Good GIF

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
NFL really needs to re-adjust their rules to running QBs. That 52 yard TD run from Allen, Allen slows down and causes the defense to stop so they don't get penalized, then he breaks for the TD

NFL needs to treat running QBs like any other person with the ball. Allow them to get blown up without getting penalized for it.

Yeah they shouldn't penalize defenders for even remotely marginal hits. QBs should have to go down early or risk getting blasted. I mean, on like the next (?) possession the defender launches himself as Allen starts to slide because if he doesn't launch and Allen keeps running he can't make the tackle. So what happens? Allen commits to the slide as the defender is leaving his feet and gets hit. 15 yard penalty.

That is pretty bullshit (and I'm not a Steelers fan...this should go for all quarterbacks).

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
There aren't a lot of great QBs and losing one destroys the product so the competition committee will continue to treat them with kid gloves.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
There aren't a lot of great QBs and losing one destroys the product so the competition committee will continue to treat them with kid gloves.
I agree but they also have to let defenders actually play defense. He absolutely would not have scored on that play if the defenders didn't let up because they were afraid of getting a penalty. You can visibly see the guy who would have made the tackle almost come to a stop in his tracks and get back on his heels. Dumb.

Mortisfacio

I agree but they also have to let defenders actually play defense. He absolutely would not have scored on that play if the defenders didn't let up because they were afraid of getting a penalty. You can visibly see the guy who would have made the tackle almost come to a stop in his tracks and get back on his heels. Dumb.

Exactly. Mahomes does this a lot too riding the edge of the field. If you don't hit him, he'll keep riding the white line to get the 1st, but if you hit him, he'll cry for a flag and the refs often give him it. WR, TE or RB does this they're getting leveled. Not the QB, though. The game isn't as fun to watch when the defense has to play soft vs one player. I understand the pocket, but once outside of the pocket, should be fair game.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Maybe they should take QB protections farther and allow defenders to touch a QB down past certain yards beyond the line of scrimmage or first down marker.

Yeah they shouldn't penalize defenders for even remotely marginal hits. QBs should have to go down early or risk getting blasted. I mean, on like the next (?) possession the defender launches himself as Allen starts to slide because if he doesn't launch and Allen keeps running he can't make the tackle. So what happens? Allen commits to the slide as the defender is leaving his feet and gets hit. 15 yard penalty.

That is pretty bullshit (and I'm not a Steelers fan...this should go for all quarterbacks).

It looks SO OBVIOUS when you isolate the video of it.

edit i guess to be fair it would require a camera view from behind/in front to give a better indication if this is a fake slide or him pivoting while running

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

It looks SO OBVIOUS when you isolate the video of it.

edit i guess to be fair it would require a camera view from behind/in front to give a better indication if this is a fake slide or him pivoting while running

Quarterbacks and hockey goalies. You get out of your zone, I'm all for them getting hit. Hockey is even sillier they arent allowed to get hit as they wear triple the pads and sometimes even use their blocker. At least hockey doesn't have them running and sliding for yards.

demigod

Wow that’s bs. He was faking a slide and ran.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Hey Buffalo leading Pittsburgh 21-10 in the 3rd!

I check in here always late because I DVR all my games.
I don't have the patience for commercials.
Piss off Budweiser and the Ford F-150 😁

I'll keep you guys updated as the game progresses!

demigod

Confirmed, the Cowboys will suck again next year. Mike McCarthy will be back. They better pray they get a good Defensive Coach. Maybe get Derrick Henry to help out Tony Pollard.

Weekend predictions?

Ravens
49ers
Lions
Bills

Going with

Texans (can’t really see past the ravens, but the Texans really are having a ‘moment’ this season)
49ers
Lions (it’s the lions !!! Their entire stadium has a nose bleed, as they have went that high up the rankings this season)
Bills, cause Josh in the playoffs reasons and the chiefs still can’t hold onto the football

What the fuck is happening with the Packers? How are they the better team?

Edit: Jinxed it - right after this post Love throws an interception.

Last edited:
Top Bottom