• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

If you're going to limp into the playoffs every year, do it like we did: with style. When was the last time your team made NFL history?
JkwO5.jpg

120205_Eli_Manning.jpg

Watching that reminds me: Why would anyone ever want to play OL? Seems like the only position where you can never win but have so much to lose. Add to that how limited you are with what you can do. I mean, of course the Bears' OL sucks, but watching them just hopping around helplessly trying to push Allen away, while he's running circles around them...

I think playing OL would be pretty cool, but I'm not tall (and not fat) enough to play there. I also really like watching a OL, too see them all work together and pick up a blitz perfectly is always cool. And yes they can't rack up official stats, but when they dominate the world knows they dominate. The real O-linemen have a kick-ass attitude, I played TE a bit and pancake blocking the shit out of somebody is one of the most fun things to do.

I think playing OL would be pretty cool, but I'm not tall (and not fat) enough to play there. I also really like watching a OL, too see them all work together and pick up a blitz perfectly is always cool. And yes they can't rack up official stats, but when they dominate the world knows they dominate.

It's really the only way that little fat kid you picked on in grade school can get chicks.

Wrayfield

Watching that reminds me: Why would anyone ever want to play OL? Seems like the only position where you can never win but have so much to lose. Add to that how limited you are with what you can do. I mean, of course the Bears' OL sucks, but watching them just hop around helplessly trying to push Allen away, while he's running circles around them...

Pulling on a running play, pure joy. You get to destroy a usually smaller defender 90% of the time. Then they lie there like roadkill.</gregg_williams>

cajunator

Banned
Damn its hard to find this thread sometimes.

Also, long live fiber. My city has a Utility owned fiber optics network and the whole city has access to it. I have the 100 mbps connection and thats real tested speed not just claimed.

I think it's amusing how much outrage there is over the GW speech. Gimme a break. I'm sure we all wish our teams played fair and square, but the name of this game is winning, and getting a competitive advantage by "testing" a guy's injury is something that's been in this game forever. You got a hurt knee? Expect us to tackle you low and twist that knee up every time we tackle you. Your shoulder hurt? We're going high and expect us to land on you a little harder.

Hell, hockey tries to mask exactly what the player injury is by saying "lower body injury" or "upper body injury" instead of specifically calling out "right knee" or "left shoulder" or whatever. They know opponents are going to target the injured area to see if you're coming back too soon.

Is Williams an idiot for letting this speech get recorded when he knew that the league was investigating his team for a bounty system. Fuck yes. The hubris of these guys is what killed them here. The whole "I'm Sean Payton/Gregg Williams and I don't give a single fuuuuuuuuuuck" is what killed them.

But make no mistake that targeting an opponent's injury is in every team's playbook.

cajunator

Banned
I think it's amusing how much outrage there is over the GW speech. Gimme a break. I'm sure we all wish our teams played fair and square, but the name of this game is winning, and getting a competitive advantage by "testing" a guy's injury is something that's been in this game forever. You got a hurt knee? Expect us to tackle you low and twist that knee up every time we tackle you. Your shoulder hurt? We're going high and expect us to land on you a little harder.

Hell, hockey tries to mask exactly what the player injury is by saying "lower body injury" or "upper body injury" instead of specifically calling out "right knee" or "left shoulder" or whatever. They know opponents are going to target the injured area to see if you're coming back too soon.

Is Williams an idiot for letting this speech get recorded when he knew that the league was investigating his team for a bounty system. Fuck yes. The hubris of these guys is what killed them here. The whole "I'm Sean Payton/Gregg Williams and I don't give a single fuuuuuuuuuuck" is what killed them.

But make no mistake that targeting an opponent's injury is in every team's playbook.

the wholer thing doesn't really bother me. I just want the season to start and put all this shit behind my team. Its not like the fans made the team do this. we are the ones suffering for it though.

the wholer thing doesn't really bother me. I just want the season to start and put all this shit behind my team. Its not like the fans made the team do this. we are the ones suffering for it though.

I thought bounties were one of the key tenets of the unique cajun culture?

Fox318

Damn its hard to find this thread sometimes.

Also, long live fiber. My city has a Utility owned fiber optics network and the whole city has access to it. I have the 100 mbps connection and thats real tested speed not just claimed.

We are like right next to Anime-GAF. How could you miss us?

I'm excited as fuck for Nazo no Kanojo X.

We are like right next to Anime-GAF. How could you miss us?

I'm excited as fuck for Nazo no Kanojo X.

Don't forget we're at the corner of K-Pop-GAF and My Little Pony-GAF.
Otherwise known as the people who have a creepy obsession with little girls and the people who act like little girls, respectively.

And we're right across the street from the drunk thread. Whenever you see a stream of drunkards stumbling around (and probably a stream of piss as well), you know you're close to NFL-GAF.

bionic77

Come and hangout with me in NYC, get in on my speed goodness

Downloaded a 6GB file in 13 minutes... Fucking Amazing!
Used to live in NYC. Greatest city in the universe. Can't go back. I have gotten used to the idea of a house, a yard and a savings account.

Also fuck your advanced fiber optic internet speed with no caps and also your couch!

I said it before but seeings those horrible Fiber net speeds makes me feel like I live in a 3rd world country. Now I know what those sconis feel like when they see me driving a horseless carriage. :(

brentech

I don't know man, I don't really see the place for going out of your way to hit someone in a specific spot in football. If it happens, it happens, but literally targeting a body part seems off - as the object of the game is to put points up on the board.

It's way different in the fight game such as MMA when a guy has a known injury and decides to still take the fight. It's one on one and the end game is to end the fight....going after an injury would possibly be the quickest avenue. Even then, most fighters tend to want to stick to their game plan so they're not pressing.

Stopping a player from playing football is not the goal. I'd rather beat a team at full strength than let them have excuses of, "well, one of our best players wasn't available". Whether he knew it was recorded or not, a coach or player shouldn't be giving a speech like that.

SonnyBoy

I'm afraid that the release of this audio snippet is further pushing the NFL down a slippery slope. It's going to get to a point where this stuff is going to impact the product on the field, and it actually already has but it's going to be worse than they invisioned. How many coaches are going to be overly cautious about what they say because a player might be recording them? How many disgruntled players are going to blow the whistle over sour grapes?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

UberTag

Thursday games every week of the season are going to make fantasy football so much fun!

That would be an amazing opening schedule for the Bills and their newly stacked defense, too.
Grudge match against a returning Marshawn Lynch in the home opener.

And a slate of feeble quarterbacks to decimate until a 2-week rest for the Pats in the Monday nighter.
FLYNN - KOLB - SANCHEZ/TEBOW - CASSEL

Actually, the whole season looks fun. After Brady, there's LUCK - GABBERT/HENNE - MOORE/GARRARD ... and then the fearsome Alex Smith in the Thursday nighter on Week 10. Then, McCOY - BRADFORD - SCHAUB (who will hopefully be injured by then) - LOCKER/HASSELBECK and then the return matchups against the AFC East.

Even if the rumored sched is complete bunk, I don't think you can make a bad sched from those matchups.

Fighting it out for that 3rd place in the division, huh? :D

This game could result in the Jets finishing 3rd or 4th in the division. It's gonna be hard to out suck the Dolphins next year, but I believe the Jets are capable of doing just that. Pats and Bills will have their playoff berths by then.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think every team gets a Thursday and Monday night game.

I thought the league said that every team gets at least one primetime game, period.

That schedule has to be fake. Steelers on the road 5 out of the first 6 weeks? That would be super BS.

Plus no division games between weeks 12 (Browns) and 17 (Bengals).

I thought packing most of the division stuff in at the end of the season last year made good sense.

bionic77

How tall are you? I wanna dunk too, how hard can it be.
Depends on how well you can palm a basketball. I am 6'2" and I can't really palm it well enough to dunk so I have to do it 2 handed.

It was hard for me to get that high, but probably one of the best feelings in the world. For example these days I am out of shape and I can barely grab the rim with even one hand....

One more thing to consider, fuck da Pats! We owned your ass last year and that was enough to make the year a success!

Greg

Top Bottom