• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
All of you are proving the Pats fans right. "Everybody does it" has never been an adequate defense. Children could tell you this.

Arnie

So I'm thinking about seriously getting into NFL for next season. I've not picked a team or anything and probably won't for at least a season, so I can get a feel for the different teams, fans and their general style of play etc.

Really new to the sport, just learnt a bit about what the draft is, for example. Seems like a great way to keep the sport competitive by giving the worst teams the choice of the best college players, or an option to get a good deal in a trade. My favourite sport football (soccer to you guys) doesn't have such balance, and the best teams continue to buy the best teams because they have the most money. It's a depressing cycle really.

When does the season start? If anyone from Futbol GAF posts in here you could help me out in figuring the sport.

WanderingWind

So I'm thinking about seriously getting into NFL for next season. I've not picked a team or anything and probably won't for at least a season, so I can get a feel for the different teams, fans and their general style of play etc.

Really new to the sport, just learnt a bit about what the draft is, for example. Seems like a great way to keep the sport competitive by giving the worst teams the choice of the best college players, or an option to get a good deal in a trade. My favourite sport football (soccer to you guys) doesn't have such balance, and the best teams continue to buy the best teams because they have the most money. It's a depressing cycle really.

When does the season start? If anyone from Futbol GAF posts in here you could help me out in figuring the sport.

Well, basically, who do you like right now? Player wise. Any roots in America?

Arnie

Well, basically, who do you like right now? Player wise. Any roots in America?

Nobody, the only players I know are Eli Manning and Mark Sanchez, but I don't particularly like them, I'm just aware of them. I've got no roots in America whatsoever, just enjoy watching the sport, it's a good use of my Sunday evenings and Friday Night Lights is a fairly good show.

BigAT

The regular season starts in early September, the preseason starts a month earlier in August. It's pretty cool to see someone completely new to the sport try to get into it.

WanderingWind

Nobody, the only players I know are Eli Manning and Mark Sanchez, but I don't particularly like them, I'm just aware of them. I've got no roots in America whatsoever, just enjoy watching the sport, it's a good use of my Sunday evenings and Friday Night Lights is a fairly good show.

Well, then pick a color! I don't know.

Whats your favorite club? What do you like about them?

Greg

You're well-spoken and like SOCOM. You should root for the Green Bay Packers.

Arnie

The regular season starts in early September, the preseason starts a month earlier in August. It's pretty cool to see someone completely new to the sport try to get into it.

It's always entertaining when it happens in the Soccer thread, and it feels strange to be that guy.

Is the pre-season just friendly games so teams get used to their new plays/players before the real season kicks off? And can any team play any other team?

In the real season are all the teams split into divisions? What are the divisions? Location based?

Well, then pick a color! I don't know.

Whats your favorite club? What do you like about them?
My football club is Liverpool, who play in Red. Although I don't just want to pick a team based on colour. For example, if I picked a soccer team based on colour I could support Stoke, or Manchester United, both of which would make me want to jump out of the window.

I expect it will take me a good few months or maybe even a year until I decide on a team I feel I wish to support.
You're well-spoken and like SOCOM. You should root for the Green Bay Packers.
Very true. All I know about the Packers is they once had Bret Favre? Is that correct?

Welcome aboard!!! I was in the same position as you 5-6 years back. I am a massive Arsenal fan but in the last 5-6 years or so i have gotten more and more into the NFL. It's alot harder when you dont live in the US as you dont get the understanding of the game when you are younger but ive taught myself with Madden and even joined a local league and played Safety for 2 seasons which all helped me understand and love the game.

Since im guessing you are a Liverpool fan who are owned by that Boston Sports Group now, you could take the easy road out and become a Pats fan but then everyone will assume you are a bandwagoner just like every other Pats fan in existence.

Well if you want to cheer a good team who plays hard and keeps their noses clean, I suggest the Detroit Lions

Arnie

Welcome aboard!!! I was in the same position as you 5-6 years back. I am a massive Arsenal fan but in the last 5-6 years or so i have gotten more and more into the NFL. It's alot harder when you dont live in the US as you dont get the understanding of the game when you are younger but ive taught myself with Madden and even joined a local league and played Safety for 2 seasons which all helped me understand and love the game.

Since im guessing you are a Liverpool fan who are owned by that Boston Sports Group now, you could take the easy road out and become a Pats fan but then everyone will assume you are a bandwagoner just like every other Pats fan in existence.

Didn't know the Pats were from Boston. I said to myself immediately that I wouldn't become a Pats fan because, as far as I know, that's the equivalent to becoming a United fan, and it's basically just a place for all the glory supporters to come together and support a team because they can't handle losing every once in a while. Fuck that.

For example, Lunchbox.

Well if you want to cheer a good team who plays hard and keeps their noses clean, I suggest the Detroit Lions
I'll give them a watch when the season begins, sounds like a respectable team. I'll also give the Baltimore Ravens a watch because I liked The Wire. God typing that makes me laugh.

Which teams do George Gillet or Tom Hicks own? They can fuck off out of existence.

I

My football club is Liverpool, who play in Red. Although I don't just want to pick a team based on colour. For example, if I picked a soccer team based on colour I could support Stoke, or Manchester United, both of which would make me want to jump out of the window.

I expect it will take me a good few months or maybe even a year until I decide on a team I feel I wish to support.

Liverpool huh? Then you should support a team with a great history but is decidedly average right now. I welcome you to America's Team, the Dallas Cowboys!

Slo

Nothing like taking a PTO day, sleeping to 10 am, then drinking beer and watching baseball all afternoon.

Didn't know the Pats were from Boston. I said to myself immediately that I wouldn't become a Pats fan because, as far as I know, that's the equivalent to becoming a United fan, and it's basically just a place for all the glory supporters to come together and support a team because they can't handle losing every once in a while. Fuck that.

For example, Lunchbox.

I'll give them a watch when the season begins, sounds like a respectable team. I'll also give the Baltimore Ravens a watch because I liked The Wire. God typing that makes me laugh.

Which teams do George Gillet or Tom Hicks own? They can fuck off out of existence.

I can tell you are a good man already (for a Reds fan anyway). I dont think Hicks or Gillett own any team in the NFL, they are more in the NHL and MLB. Ravens are a good choice, with BaltimoreLarry gone we need a resident crazy fan.

Dallas are quite similar to Liverpool i guess, both used to be good, both very wealthy clubs and both aboslutely pathetic recently.

cajunator said:
Again, in just the last two months we have Favre, Antonio Pierce, NYGiants special teams players and numerous other players and reporters all saying this sort of talk and bounty programs go on and it's more common then uncommon.
Most of what's mentioned is pay from the players and it amounts to money for big hits, interceptions, fumbles etc. Whenever any of these players are asked (including Pierce) whether they payed out for injuries - you'll get a pretty direct no out of them.

Now, do I believe that? I'm not that naive and that's why I've maintained the players should be punished even more severely than these coaches for being the hypocrites they are (I WANT LIFETIME HEALTH CARE FROM OWNERSHIP! *goes and tears a dudes ACL for $2000*).

That having been said, it is apparent that the Saints coaching staff was involved at the highest levels of the program and even worse kicked in money. Jacquian Williams and Devin Thomas were pretty adamant in their assertion that Kyle Williams was concussion prone so they were looking to put a big hit on him. That didn't just come from them watching game film. It's likely that the defensive coaches pointed it out and made it clear that it was something they could take advantage of. Not necessarily injure but put enough of a hit and you dislodge the ball. Now, did those coaches rub their fingers together and guarantee paychecks for a guy to be re-concussed? Or for tearing a guys ACL?

The Saints weren't just stupid in getting caught but were so brazen the coaching staff felt the need to pay the players to do things other teams get for free with mere suggestion. If the players want to give each other a grand for a big play, that's one thing. When it's administered by the coaches - I think it does change the dynamic a bit and that's why this is getting more play and "outrage" if you will. The fact they were told to stop and kept going - well that lovely bit of hubris is what earned them the punishment they got. In the case of Williams, that recording of his defensive meeting likely cost him his NFL career.

gif_adam_whatever.gif

You should join me in Panthers-GAF. We're a team on the rise with no prior winning history, so you wouldn't be looked on as a glory-hunter or a bandwagoner, but a trendsetter and a trailblazer. Also we have no players with criminal convictions like some of the other teams have...

If you really wanted to stick it to United, you should root for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers owned by the Glazers. Every dollar they spend on feeding their quarterback, comes straight out of United's war chest for midfielders.

Nightz

It's always entertaining when it happens in the Soccer thread, and it feels strange to be that guy.

Is the pre-season just friendly games so teams get used to their new plays/players before the real season kicks off? And can any team play any other team?

In the real season are all the teams split into divisions? What are the divisions? Location based?
Welcome aboard! To answer your questions:

Yes, pre-season is pretty much a showcase for new players and and audition for players on the bubble of being cut. The regular starters don't get much playing time the first couple of games, but gradually increase to get them conditioned for the regular season. There are 4 pre-season games.

The NFL is split into two conferences, the AFC and the NFC. Each conference is split into four divisions: North, South, East and West. It's pretty much location based, though you have a couple of teams that don't geographically make sense.

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC East
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New York Jets

AFC South
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

AFC West
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Oakland Raiders
San Diego Chargers

NFC North
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings

NFC East
Dallas Cowboys
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins

NFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
St. Louis Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

Root for the Chargers. We're a lonely bunch on GAF. :(

Arnie

You should join me in Panthers-GAF. We're a team on the rise with no prior winning history, so you wouldn't be looked on as a glory-hunter or a bandwagoner, but a trendsetter and a trailblazer. Also we have no players with criminal convictions like some of the other teams have...

If you really wanted to stick it to United, you should root for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers owned by the Glazers. Every dollar they spend on feeding their quarterback, comes straight out of United's war chest for midfielders.

I don't think I could support a team with any relationship with United, even by proxy.

WanderingWind

Arnold, I think the Ravens are for you. New enough where everybody who supports them is a lifelong anyway, they're not a terrible team, they have some character and they fucking hate the Pats.

Match made in Hamsterdam.

BigAT

Pre-season is four weeks long and is mostly used for talent evaluation and to warm up for the regular season. I wouldn't call them friendly games, but they are less competitive in that teams don't play their starters the entire game.

The league is split into two conferences, each with four divisions that have four teams each. Divisions are loosely location based, but there is the occasional team that is out of place (Dallas in the NFC East).

Arnold, I think the Ravens are for you. New enough where everybody who supports them is a lifelong anyway, they're not a terrible team, they have some character and they fucking hate the Pats.

They also have the
self-appointed
best quarterback in the league!

snesfreak

Banned
You should support a team that's won a Super Bowl without cheating, or having bounties.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers!
And not the dirty Aints, Falcons, and scumbag Panthers with their thief of a QB.

Arnie

Welcome aboard! To answer your questions:

Yes, pre-season is pretty much a showcase for new players and and audition for players on the bubble of being cut. The regular starters don't get much playing time the first couple of games, but gradually increase to get them conditioned for the regular season. There are 4 pre-season games.

The NFL is split into two conferences, the AFC and the NFC. Each conference is split into four divisions: North, South, East and West. It's pretty much location based, though you have a couple of teams that don't geographically make sense.

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC East
Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New York Jets

AFC South
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

AFC West
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Oakland Raiders
San Diego Chargers

NFC North
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings

NFC East
Dallas Cowboys
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins

NFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
St. Louis Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

Root for the Chargers. We're a lonely bunch on GAF. :(

Pre-season is four weeks long and is mostly used for talent evaluation and to warm up for the regular season. I wouldn't call them friendly games, but they are less competitive in that teams don't play their starters the entire game.

The league is split into two conferences, each with four divisions that have four teams each. Divisions are loosely location based, but there is the occasional team that is out of place (Dallas in the NFC East).

Two really helpful posts, thanks guys. Dallas being in the same division as the Giants seemed odd to me too.

A couple of questions, in a season, does every team play every other team in their conference, or their division? And if so, what's the point in the divisions. Also, does that mean the only way the New York Jets and Giants can meet is in the Superbowl? If so, isn't that a wee bit shit. Derby matches are the best parts of soccer.

I'll get them on my watch list alongside the Cowboys and Packers.

WanderingWind

Arnie, any team can play any other team during the regular season.

Also, the Cowboys were the 90s Pats. So, if you pick them I hate you. Sorry.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Maybe Gregg Williams can be the spokesperson the remake of that Pigskin game, like Glanville back in the day.

I'm guessing there are only going to be two or three Saints fans left on NFL-gaf next season. Fine by me.

Arnie said:
A couple of questions, in a season, does every team play every other team in their conference, or their division? And if so, what's the point in the divisions. Also, does that mean the only way the New York Jets and Giants can meet is in the Superbowl? If so, isn't that a wee bit shit. Derby matches are the best parts of football.
This will help on that question:

• Each team plays home and away against its three division opponents, which accounts for six games on the schedule.

• Each team plays four teams from another division within its conference on a rotating three-year cycle, which accounts for four more games.

• Each team plays four teams from a division in the other conference on a rotating four-year cycle, which accounts for another four games.

• Each team plays two intraconference games based on the prior year's standings. For example, the first-place team in a division will play against the first-place team from another division within the same conference. The second place team in a division will play against the second-place team from another division within the same conference, etc...
So in your example, the Giants and Jets meet every four years in the regular season based on the rotation. They just played the AFC East this past season so they faced the Jets as part of that rotation.

Arnie

Arnie, any team can play any other team during the regular season.

Also, the Cowboys were the 90s Pats. So, if you pick them I hate you. Sorry.

So can someone outline the point of the divisions and conferences? /\ sweet, thanks.

So in your example, the Giants and Jets meet every four years in the regular season based on the rotation. They just played the AFC East this past season so they faced the Jets as part of that rotation.
I get it. So outside of a Superbowl meet, or if they place in the same divisional position, they won't meet in a league match for another 4 years.

Got it. I'd imagine that makes the derby matches pretty special.

snesfreak

Banned
You hate United so no Bucs, just don't root for any other team in the NFC South.
And stay away from the 49ers, their fans are weirdos that love scat.

Talon

So can someone outline the point of the divisions and conferences?
Division Champions are guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. Two wildcard team are chosen from the top 2 remaining team.

The playoffs are divided by conference. So 6 teams in the NFC (Division Champs + 2 Wildcards) face off in the NFC. Same in the AFC.

The champions of the NFC face the AFC.

So there's a regular season that leads into a cup competition, if you will.

Yep.

Got Sky Sports so watching the games shouldn't be an issue.

You have to be a Giants fan then, their kicker is straight outta Scotland and one of their decent defensive players was born in London (Osi Umenyiora). Doesn't hurt they won the Superbowl last year as well....

Although the Eli virgin factor could hurt that decision.

WanderingWind

You have to be a Giants fan then, their kicker is straight outta Scotland and one of their decent defensive players was born in London (Osi Umenyiora). Doesn't hurt they won the Superbowl last year as well....

Bandwagon. Stay away!

Jumping on the bandwagon would be disgusting. Almost as bad as two-teaming.

Arnie said:
So can someone outline the point of the divisions and conferences?
- The 4 division champions from each conference (the team in each division with the best record), which are seeded 1 through 4 based on their overall won-lost-tied record.
Two wild card qualifiers from each conference (the non division-champions with the conference's best winning percentages), which are seeded 5 and 6.

The playoffs then proceed with the Wildcard round, divisional, and the championship game. The winner of the championship game wins the conference. The two conference champions meet in the Super Bowl to determine the World Champion.

WanderWind said:
Bandwagon. Stay away!
Giants-Gaf is welcoming of all who maintain one team loyalty!

eli-manning-superbowl.gi.top.jpg

WanderingWind

Shit is fascinating. I understand all this shit because I've been a fan since birth, but I just realized I can't explain it.

Christ, I better have a daughter or I'm screwed.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Division Champions are guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. Two wildcard team are chosen from the top 2 remaining team.

The playoffs are divided by conference. So 6 teams in the NFC (Division Champs + 2 Wildcards) face off in the NFC. Same in the AFC.

The champions of the NFC face the AFC.

So there's a regular season that leads into a cup competition, if you will.

Divisions are largely regional and most rivalries stem from those divisional matchups. One of the things I love about the NFL as its one of the few pro sports where there are still pretty fierce rivalries. I will always root for the Falcons and Bucs to lose, am less hard on the Panthers because I think its good for NC to have a football team

snesfreak

Banned
Divisions are largely regional and most rivalries stem from those divisional matchups. One of the things I love about the NFL as its one of the few pro sports where there are still pretty fierce rivalries. I will always root for the Falcons and Bucs to lose, am less hard on the Panthers because I think its good for NC to have a football team
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Jonm1010

Banned
Sorry, I don't believe that bounty programs and coaches like Williams are the majority.

Then your purposefully being cognitively dissonant because in the last couple months there's been enough former players and several anonymous players, still playing, that have let it be known this stuff isn't uncommon.

Edit: Is it every organization? Probably not. Do at least some players and coaches on most teams make comments about taking people out of games? I can't imagine they don't. Especially given the recent news from the payers.

Top Bottom