• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Talon

Divisions are largely regional and most rivalries stem from those divisional matchups. One of the things I love about the NFL as its one of the few pro sports where there are still pretty fierce rivalries. I will always root for the Falcons and Bucs to lose, am less hard on the Panthers because I think its good for NC to have a football team
Miss the old NFC West days.

Arnie

I think I understand now. So 6 teams from each conference face each other in the playoffs, the winners of which meet in the Superbowl. When was the last time the Superbowl was two teams picked in the wildcard?

Oh, Warren....at least pay the electricity bill for the kids!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/06/sapp-files-bankruptcy/

Well, if former Saints tight end Jeremy Shockey is going to sue Warren Sapp, he’d better get in line with the rest of Sapp’s creditors.

Sapp, a likely future Hall of Famer, has declared bankruptcy in Florida, according to TMZ.com.

He has filed under Chapter 7, which will result in full liquidation of his $6.45 million in assets (including a “Large Nude women painting” . . . it’s unclear whether the painting or the women are large) to pay his $6.7 million in debts.

According to the filing, Sapp owes the IRS more than $900,000, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in child support.

He lists his current income as $45,000 per month from NFL Network, on a contract that expires in August 2012. (He also has worked for Showtime’s Inside the NFL. It’s unknown whether he’ll continue that assignment in 2012.)

Sapp, who spent 12 years in the NFL with the Buccaneers and Raiders, also claims that he has lost his Super Bowl ring.

Arnie said:
When was the last time the Superbowl was two teams picked in the wildcard?
Never. The Giants won in 2007 as a 5th seed. I believe the only 6th seed to ever win the SB was the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers.

EDIT: Correction, the 2010 Packers won it as the 6th seed as well.

. One of the things I love about the NFL as its one of the few pro sports where there are still pretty fierce rivalries.
Coming from a soccer background i always thought the rivalries weren't as intense in the NFL. Maybe its because players move teams so often and its not frowned upon to change teams for more money (like it is in the EPL or AFL).

I think I understand now. So 6 teams from each conference face each other in the playoffs, the winners of which meet in the Superbowl. When was the last time the Superbowl was two teams picked in the wildcard?

I don't remember if two wild card teams ever met in the Superbowl but recently there have been plenty of wild card winners. Packes in 2010, Giants in 2007 and Steelers in 2005.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Coming from a soccer background i always thought the rivalries weren't as intense in the NFL. Maybe its because players move teams so often and its not frowned upon to change teams for more money (like it is in the EPL or AFL).

I think team loyalty takes precedent over player loyalty, there aren't as many teams that fan support iscrucial to just one player. Most Falcon fans stayed loyal when Vick left (granted the circumstances were nto great) but he had become the face of the franchise for a time. They stuck with the team, not the player.

Arnie

That was my initial thought when I found out that the two New York teams are happy to just play each other four years. For example, in soccer Liverpool and Everton meet twice in the league, and we're about to play them in the Cup. Those games are the highlight of the season.
I don't remember if two wild card teams ever met in the Superbowl but recently there have been plenty of wild card winners. Packes in 2010, Giants in 2007 and Steelers in 2005.

Cool. Must be amazing for the fans of a team to win the Superbowl when they didn't even come that high in their conference.

Arnie said:
Must be amazing for the fans of a team to win the Superbowl when they didn't even come that high in their conference.
Best thing about the NFL ...parity. Any team can get hot and win it. Hence the saying "Any given Sunday." You can go into it thinking a team is superior, but a win is never a guarantee.

Greg

Then your purposefully being cognitively dissonant because in the last couple months there's been enough former players and several anonymous players, still playing, that have let it be known this stuff isn't uncommon.
I'm not denying its existence outside of the Saints' franchise, but there's no way that mentality is the majority.

A few players and anonymous sources aren't enough to convince me programs to that extent (injury = bounty, coach-enforced) was a league-wide issue, especially after the NFL issued the initial warnings.

Arnie

Best thing about the NFL ...parity. Any team can get hot and win it. Hence the saying "Any given Sunday." You can go into it thinking a team is superior, but a win is never a guarantee.

That was the first thing I thought when I read about the draft earlier. Seems a great way to make each season exciting. For example, in soccer, a team like Wigan will always be shit. In the Draft system they could pick up the hottest property in College football and improve dramatically in the next few years.

Saying that, is there a history of really promising college stars rejecting a team in the draft because they're holding out for another team? Like, if I was a a young player and the Patriots came to me and said they want me in their draft pick, then wouldn't you just hold out for the Patriots? Or is that a naive view of the situation.

Like if you're a quarterback would you really go to a team with a fairly weak offensive line? Even if they had first draft pick.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That was the first thing I thought when I read about the draft earlier. Seems a great way to make each season exciting. For example, in soccer, a team like Wigan will always be shit. In the Draft system they could pick up the hottest property in College football and improve dramatically in the next few years.

Saying that, is there a history of really promising college stars rejecting a team in the draft because they're holding out for another team? Like, if I was a a young player and the Patriots came to me and said they want me in their draft pick, then wouldn't you just hold out for the Patriots? Or is that a naive view of the situation.

Like if you're a quarterback would you really go to a team with a fairly weak offensive line? Even if they had first draft pick.

That's how Eli ended up with the Giants.

It doesn't happen often, because it causes a shitstorm. You pretty much have to well, win Super Bowl MVP to quiet that down.

Arnie

That's how Eli ended up with the Giants.

It doesn't happen often, because it causes a shitstorm. You pretty much have to well, win Super Bowl MVP to quiet that down.

I can imagine that. Makes a bit of a mockery of the draft system if some jumped up kid refuses the first team to choose him. Can't teams just tap up the college kids though? I'm pretty sure that's in breach of the sports rules, but seems a pretty simple thing to do.

mr2xxx

Banned
I can imagine that. Makes a bit of a mockery of the draft system if some jumped up kid refuses the first team to choose him. Can't teams just tap up the college kids though? I'm pretty sure that's in breach of the sports rules, but seems a pretty simple thing to do.

That would be hard to do rookies have even less reasons to hold out now. The new CBA increased the punishment for players that hold out, not sure if that applies to some kid drafted and doesn't want to sign though. The CBA also added a rookie cap so players have no incentive to hold out for another team in hopes of getting paid more.

Arnie

That would be hard to do rookies have even less reasons to hold out now. The new CBA increased the punishment for players that hold out, not sure if that applies to some kid drafted and doesn't want to sign though. The CBA also added a rookie cap so players have no incentive to hold out for another team in hopes of getting paid more.

Pretty good. Logistically this sport seems pretty well figured out. Could teach Soccer a lot in that respect. Just something as basic as making sure those who don't make it have a college education is a huge thing.

I personally know a player who was the captain of the Manchester United youth team, who's now struggling in York City's (shit, lower league team) reserves and he's thick as pig shit. He's probably doing alright now, but in a few years he'll likely be fucked.

Milchjon

Shit is fascinating. I understand all this shit because I've been a fan since birth, but I just realized I can't explain it.

Christ, I better have a daughter or I'm screwed.

That's what makes it so fascinating. I grew up with soccer and it's just on a whole different level of comlexity. It's been 4 seasons now for me, and I still don't feel like I know anything. Only when I talk to people who have never watched it, I realize how much there is to explain and how much I apparently know already. It's all relative.

Also, Arnie, Packers and Giants are off limits if you don't want to hop on a bandwagon. Saints would be if they weren't absolutely screwed right now.

When I was in your position 4 years ago, I didn't really have a choice to make as I've always loved the New England region. If I'd have to make a choice now, I'd take a look at the Bengals, they're pretty exciting and have some potential (If only their owner wasn't so cheap.)

Arnie

When I was in your position 4 years ago, I didn't really have a choice to make as I've always loved the New England region. If I'd have to make a choice now, I'd take a look at the Bengals, they're pretty exciting and have some potential (If only their owner wasn't so cheap.)

Thanks, I'll give the Bengals a look in. I've definitely ruled out the Packers, Giants and Saints. Don't the Saints have Drew Brees? He's pretty good right.

Milchjon

Thanks, I'll give the Bengals a look in. I've definitely ruled out the Packers, Giants and Saints. Don't the Saints have Drew Brees? He's pretty good right.

He's pretty good, if a bit douchey. Did you hear about their bounty scandal? If the NFL extended the punishment to the players, they shouldn't be too much of a factor, even with Brees&Co. on the offensive side.

Arnie

He's pretty good, if a bit douchey. Did you hear about their bounty scandal? If the NFL extended the punishment to the players, they shouldn't be too much of a factor, even with Brees&Co. on the offensive side.

Nope, what happened, in brief summary?

JABEE

I think team loyalty takes precedent over player loyalty, there aren't as many teams that fan support iscrucial to just one player. Most Falcon fans stayed loyal when Vick left (granted the circumstances were nto great) but he had become the face of the franchise for a time. They stuck with the team, not the player.

In the NHL, there are real rivalries.

Slo

Now's the time to jump on the Vikings bandwagon! Buy low, sell high!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
n the docs, Sapp also lists his current salary as an analyst for the NFL Network as $45k per month ... $540k per year. Sapp says his deal with the NFL Network expires in August and he's not sure if the network will extend his deal.

GOD I HOPE NOT

Milchjon

Nope, what happened, in brief summary?

Well, they offered monetary bounties to their defensive players for injuries/big plays and were brazen enough not to stop when the NFL told them to. Their Head Coach is banned for the season, their Defensive Coordinator (Main defensive coach) is banned indefinitely, probably for life (Some soundbites from his speeches emerged a few days ago, shit was kinda frightening). They also lost a few draft picks.

Milchjon

Our QB isn't Satan.

tom_brady_player.jpg

If Satan looked like this, I'd rethink my atheist tendencies.

Ænima

You should join me in Panthers-GAF. We're a team on the rise with no prior winning history, so you wouldn't be looked on as a glory-hunter or a bandwagoner, but a trendsetter and a trailblazer. Also we have no players with criminal convictions like some of the other teams have...
Even though the Panthers are not my team (you don't want to pick my team Arnie), I'll second this recommendation. The Panthers have a young rising star QB and will be exciting to watch for years to come. As Grover said they also don't have a legion of bandwagon fans.

Arnie

Well, they offered monetary bounties to their defensive players for injuries/big plays and were brazen enough not to stop when the NFL told them to. Their Head Coach is banned for the season, their Defensive Coordinator (Main defensive coach) is banned indefinitely, probably for life (Some soundbites from his speeches emerged a few days ago, shit was kinda frightening). They also lost a few draft picks.

Holy shit.

So their defensive co-ordinator effectively told their heavy hitters to target specific parts of the opposing team to cause injuries? That's unbelievable.

Top Bottom