• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Interesting conversation with the schedule makers on SiriusXM.

Talking about what they're going to do about the unveiling of draft picks based on cell phone calls "announcing" draft picks rather than the announcement at the podium. Didn't give a firm answer on what they're going to this year though.

I believe both networks already confirmed that they were not showing the cell phone/green room guys until after the pick was announced.

I still worry that douchebags like Mortensen, Schefter, et al will think that they need to beat everyone to the punch buy a 15 seconds and ruin the pick.

Most people I've talked to who love the draft absolutely HATE the way they spoil the picks ahead of time.

I just wish ESPN reporters would actually understand that people don't credit them for breaking the pick 15 seconds beforehand. Nobody is saying, "Hey! Forget about that surprise pick of Jake Locker--it was SCHEFTER who broke the news! What a hero!"

Slo

Yeah, stadiums have to be upgraded/replaced from time to time. I still don't think it should ever be put onto tax payers though.

It's a private business, making billions of dollars. They can move teams where-ever they like, and leave locations high and dry. They should be paying for their stadiums. Would force them to make sure they develop a stadium in a proper location with enough people around to fill it.

There just isn't great incentive to ever expect a government to chip in.

Please answer me this: why would an owner ever NOT try to demand a couple hundred million dollars for a new stadium when they have every reason to think that they'll get it from somewhere? Out of kindness?

eznark

Banned
Please answer me this: why would an owner ever NOT try to demand a couple hundred million dollars for a new stadium when they have every reason to think that they'll get it from somewhere? Out of kindness?

Right now? They wouldn't. Soon hopefully they realize they are barking up the wrong tree and finance their business without Roethlisbergering tax payers.

Slo

Right now? They wouldn't. Soon hopefully they realize they are barking up the wrong tree and finance their business without Roethlisbergering tax payers.

That's all well and good, but I hope the next guy gets to be the martyr. It's really easy to hope somebody else makes a stand.

I believe both networks already confirmed that they were not showing the cell phone/green room guys until after the pick was announced.

I still worry that douchebags like Mortensen, Schefter, et al will think that they need to beat everyone to the punch buy a 15 seconds and ruin the pick.

Most people I've talked to who love the draft absolutely HATE the way they spoil the picks ahead of time.

I just wish ESPN reporters would actually understand that people don't credit them for breaking the pick 15 seconds beforehand. Nobody is saying, "Hey! Forget about that surprise pick of Jake Locker--it was SCHEFTER who broke the news! What a hero!"

Agreed. I think it ruins it completely. I hope they do decide to keep it until it's announced at the podium. Do you have a link where they confirmed it?

I'll be watching NFLN anyway, I hope they'll stick to the script if that's the plan even if ESPN does try to douche it up like they usually do.

brentech

That's not my point. My point is that cities should have a absolute no tolerance stance on the issue. They shouldn't be held hostage by a private business. Every city that accepts this type of system just forces the hand of others since the owner/league can just leverage a move against them.

It's not likely that any change will be ever be made, but it'd sure be nice if it was.

Wes

venison crêpe
Plays a role as in Montario's hot garbage and we need to upgrade?

Could be. Could be his other comments hint towards Claiborne. He also mentioned this is a bad year for DBs, you need 3 good CBs on a team and that he doubts the first three picks are all spent on offense.

exarkun

bahahahahaha, they are at $15/month now? Insanity. I'm almost positive that when I had XM it was like $3-5 a month. Why would anyone ever pay for that? Get Spotify/rdio and listen to whatever you want.

To me it isn't really politics, it's economics. Yes I would oppose this spending even if it made infinite monies, but in this case stadiums are generally a municipal black hole, so everyone should be opposed regardless of ideology.

what does a municipal black hole even mean? The city is investing in the potential for growth and income injection from having the team there. Its give and take. Why would an owner WANT to put a team in an area that isn't technically a "large market" if they had to fund every stadium themselves? why take on the risk?

I get for the large part what you're saying, but its similar to what old people do when complaining about taxes. Its pointless until cities gain some kind of leverage on owners or the nfl commishes fat ass.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Agreed. I think it ruins it completely. I hope they do decide to keep it until it's announced at the podium. Do you have a link where they confirmed it?

Richard Deitsch of SI.com reports that the NFL, ESPN, and NFL Network are discussing ways to avoid this. The league says that it won’t show players on the phone from the green room on draft night.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...for-ways-to-put-suspense-back-into-the-draft/

That's the league, though, which to me means NFL Network won't be doing it. Still, if their reporters are tipping it off, there's no point. At least the league brought all of them in and told them to bring the suspense back. That gives me hope.

I'd love for the league to announce ahead of time that one network will be tipping it off and the other will not. My guess is we'd see a shift in higher ratings for the network not tipping it off. Just reading through the PFT comments under that article, it seems that the majority of fans want it that way.

Edit: Just read on another site that it's in effect for ESPN as well.

Bowser

Could be. Could be his other comments hint towards Claiborne. He also mentioned this is a bad year for DBs, you need 3 good CBs on a team and that he doubts the first three picks are all spent on offense.

I think Claiborne wouldn't be a very smart pick money-wise. The Browns already had a pretty good defense, and if they take Caliborne and he pans out, they'd owe top CB money to two guys within the next 4 years. I don't buy this nonsense of a top 5 RB not having "value." The Browns should take Richardson.

jakncoke

Banned
Couldnt the Browns just get someone like Doug Martin in the 2nd?

Edit: Isn't there a bunch of cities with money owed towads stadiums like 30 years later?

Striker

They could get Martin, or Lamar Miller. They definitely need a back because he'll be the starter. Their back situation is as poor as their QB; McCoy's going to need a back to succeed.

With that pass game, he can't be that delirious.

Giants GM Jerry Reese talking now on Giants.com - talking Draft.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
wonder if my verizon phone still has that NFL Channel app, where I can watch their coverage for free.

jakncoke said:
No. The Giants will already have taken him at 32. :D

Striker said:
Giants GM Jerry Reese talking now on Giants.com - talking Draft.
Telling statement: He considers the 32nd pick and the players there as "second round" players. Says he looks for players to fall to get value.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Dont you need VCast or whatever overpriced thing Verizon tries to sell?

You work for Verizon, dont you?

Nah, I don't work for Verizon. Have this old Droid phone, where I used to be able to watch the NFL network. But I think the whole VCast thing is why I don't watch it anymore, because I can't. :/

My Cable doesn't offer that channel :/

Reese on Keith Rivers: "Well if you look at him as a rookie, he had his jaw broken and had a wrist injury last year but if you look at all of the combined tape we think he can play. This is a fresh start here and now he needs to prove it"

Mentioned some of the young linebackers as stepping up and that Rivers and Boley could both play MLB. It sounds as though he's settled at LB...

You specifically said you work for Sirius, dude.

Now you get to be customer support! What the fuck happened to the MLB Channel??

I dunno, what happened to it? I see it listed in my online player. I'm afraid to click on the channel though, lest my brain melt from boredom.

Striker

No. The Giants will already have taken him at 32. :D

Telling statement: He considers the 32nd pick and the players there as "second round" players. Says he looks for players to fall to get value.
Was just telling BigAT.

From what he said about the LB's, he likes Boley-Rivers-Williams and thinks both Boley and Rivers can play any spots. Williams is a WILL in Giants scheme. Did not mention Kiwanuka in the LB group. I wonder if he goes back to the DL.

Striker said:
Did not mention Kiwanuka in the LB group. I wonder if he goes back to the DL.
They may put him on the field at LB for run support in certain packages, but I think Kiwi on the line again this year is a definite. That's going to be one hell of a rotation, too. Osi, Tuck, Kiwi, JPP, Canty, Linval Joseph, Marvin Austin.....

Expanding on that statement from Reese: 15-32 all very similar players. There are not 32 first rounders in this draft.

It sounds like he may be willing to trade back which is a bit uncharacteristic for Reese but it would make sense.

Nah, I don't work for Verizon. Have this old Droid phone, where I used to be able to watch the NFL network. But I think the whole VCast thing is why I don't watch it anymore, because I can't. :/

My Cable doesn't offer that channel :/

I was so excited when I first got my droid on Verizon when I saw that they were advertising that app. Then I found out you needed to pay some crazy additional fees just to use it for anything really. I think I deleted it, I should check again and see if they changed their tune or if VCAST even exists anymore

Striker

It sounds like he may be willing to trade back which is a bit uncharacteristic for Reese but it would make sense.
They have five picks in the first four rounds. I think that's pretty good for all things considering. I look for him to target BPA, but the key positions to look at are: RB, DL, WR/TE, OG/OT, and probably a Safety.

Wes

venison crêpe

Wilson, Martin, Miller. One of those sure. I doubt they take a RB in the second round as it recall too many memories of the Hardesty pick.

Then again we could trade up to #31 to get a RB before the Giants.

Maybe it just isn't on the app? Lame.

I do know that the MLB has some crazy ass contract which nobody is happy about except the MLB(that's public information, I work nowhere near the radio side of the business). Maybe there's some restrictions on how it can be used.

eznark

Banned
I do know that the MLB has some crazy ass contract which nobody is happy about (that's public information, I work nowhere near the radio side of the business) except the MLB. Maybe there's some restrictions on how it can be used.

Looks like NHL and PGA is similar.

hiryu

Some tweets from Heckert's press conference today.

All this crap is a smokescreen. It's either Richardson, Blackmon, or Claiborne.

I'd love a Blackmon-Weeden combo with either Doub Martin or David Wilson thrown in. The only thing this press conference made clear for me was that I doubt they draft a RT in the first 3-4 picks and I look for them to use a lot of the extra lower picks to move up a little.

Shea McMlellin vs Winston Mercilus? Who's a better fit for the Packers, Draft-Gaf?

I prefer Winston, just for that totally badass last name. Edit: I'm totally clueless about college players up until a month before the draft. Then I'm just somewhat clueless.

yacobod

Banned
Shea McMlellin vs Winston Mercilus? Who's a better fit for the Packers, Draft-Gaf?

I prefer Winston, just for that totally badass last name. Edit: I'm totally clueless about college players up until a month before the draft. Then I'm just somewhat clueless.

not a packer fan but i've never seen the other guy projected in the first round.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, that one.

See my edit above, written before I read this. lol.

I think Mercilus is a terrible first round pick. I despise one year wonders at shitty ass schools. I was on record against drafting, but Buckethead took him anyway. I'm hoping the Lions take him (apparently he went to visit them last week).

brentech

my iPhone is through Verizon. I can verify you're required to pay for VCAST for video/radio content. I basically just use the app for easy game tracking away from home.

TheLegendary said:
Shea McMlellin vs Whitney Mercilus?

eznark said:
I think Mercilus is a terrible first round pick.
McClellan is the more versatile of the two, IMO. He can fit into a 3-4 scheme as a linebacker/end or put his hand on the ground and play a defensive end in a 4-3 or even play the middle. He's been shooting up draft boards. He's not the quickest guy on the field but I personally like his upside for than Mercilus.

eznark

Banned
not a packer fan but i've never seen the other guy projected in the first round.

Walterfootball has the Patriots taking him in their latest mock (released yesterday)

Personally, I really would like to see the Packers get him. It'd be nice to have a smart player on defense when Woodson is done.

yacobod

Banned
Walterfootball has the Patriots taking him in their latest mock (released yesterday)

Personally, I really would like to see the Packers get him. It'd be nice to have a smart player on defense when Woodson is done.

they need some serious help with web design.

eznark

Banned
McClellan is also one of the players who has accepted an invite to be at the draft, so I would assume he is confident in his going in the first.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
All this crap is a smokescreen. It's either Richardson, Blackmon, or Claiborne.

I'd love a Blackmon-Weeden combo with either Doub Martin or David Wilson thrown in. The only thing this press conference made clear for me was that I doubt they draft a RT in the first 3-4 picks and I look for them to use a lot of the extra lower picks to move up a little.

Bang on, but at this point I'm really not even sure if they will go for Blackmon. So puts me at them taking Richardson or Claiborne. I'd be happy with either of those two.

Top Bottom