• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

brentech

Oh Ted. Playing coy with the media as usual. Was asked about drafting for impact defensive players after a year of potent offense.

"we don't draft for need. Maybe subconsciously, but not consciously. We don't draft based on need or perceived needs."

All along with a shit eating grin on his face.

eznark

Banned
Oh Ted. Playing coy with the media as usual. Was asked about drafting for impact defensive players after a year of potent offense.

"we don't draft for need. Maybe subconsciously, but not consciously. We don't draft based on need or perceived needs."

That isn't being coy. TT always drafts for need. Personally I still hope he drafts Konz is he is there.

ted-thompson-pissed-face.jpg

Draxal

What's ur opinions about Konz and Zeitler?

I'm thinking the gmen are going after one of the non DeCastro guards (gut feeling that they're pretty high on Zeitler), or go for a DE like Chandler Jones.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Most teams draft on need but it varies on how much they reach to fulfill a need.

TT I think generally picks players who are BPA if there is some sort of need for that position.

Derek Sherrod definitely felt like drafting for a need though. (in retrospect especially, it felt like an okay pick at the time)

eznark

Banned
Most teams draft on need but it varies on how much they reach to fulfill a need.

TT I think generally picks players who are BPA if there is some sort of need for that position.

Derek Sherrod definitely felt like drafting for a need though. (in retrospect especially, it felt like an okay pick at the time)

Nah, Sherrod was the same thing as he always does in the first, looks for value. He was projected by many to go in the early to mid 20's. If Thompson had him that high and he was still available, it's his pick.

brentech

A lot of teams truly draft on a need basis.

Ted seems to use the player rank system every player gets a certain grade type. All players of specific grade are considered equals, so you draft what you most need.

But if a higher graded player is available, he's likely to draft them because it's a long term proposition.

Very different from the al Davis run raiders.

Draxal said:
What's ur opinions about Konz and Zeitler?
I've mentioned it several times - I have a bit of a man crush on Zeitler. I love him as a player and he would have an immediate impact on the left side of the Giants line.

I would love Konz as well but with Baas being signed long term, it's never entered my mind.

SonnyBoy

Fellas, can you all provide me with some insight into some of the Skins FA aquisitions outside of what they were paid? Things like how much do they have left in the tank, what type of player are they, any room to improve?

Cedric Griffin

Josh Morgan

Tanard Jackson

And to a lesser extent.

Pierre Garcon

Slo

Cedric Griffin

Has the same number of ACLs as Super Bowl rings. Prior to injuries, he was a good run stuffing corner with less than ideal speed and/or covering ability, perfect for playing a short zone in a Tampa 2 offense like the Vikings ran. However, he absolutely hated playing in the Tampa 2, wanted to be a man-to-man glory boy.

I predict great things.

Draxal

I've mentioned it several times - I have a bit of a man crush on Zeitler. I love him as a player and he would have an immediate impact on the left side of the Giants line.

I would love Konz as well but with Baas being signed long term, it's never entered my mind.

I was high on Glenn, but since the Giants went to Wisconsin's pro day and it couldn't have been for Konz, it must of been for him.

I really like Larry Zierlien (Pitt's former ol coach) review of him.

cdyhybrid

Jacksonville radio guy just said on the air here in Seattle that he's hearing rumors that the Seahawks might trade up for the Jags' #7 pick to take Tannehill. I hope this is just a typical draft smoke screen.... Otherwise shoot me now.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Jacksonville radio guy just said on the air here in Seattle that he's hearing rumors that the Seahawks might trade up for the Jags' #7 pick to take Tannehill. I hope this is just a typical draft smoke screen.... Otherwise shoot me now.

Seattle is one of those teams that is one the verge of breaking through with one or two smaller pieces. Tannehill isn't one of those pieces.

eznark

Banned

Usually I would say you are an idiot for believing such rumors, then I think back to the draft were Carroll traded for LenDale White.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

They just went out and got Matt Flynn....

LJ11

Do you, or did you, feel that Locker would be a good pro QB?

cdyhybrid

Do you, or did you, feel that Locker would be a good pro QB?
Yes and yes. He needed time coming out of college because he had only been in a pro style offense for two years, but I think he has all the tools to be very good.

Also there's the possibility that the Hawks trade up to 7 to take someone else... Blackmon or Floyd maybe? Who knows...

LJ11

Yes and yes. He needed time coming out of college because he had only been in a pro style offense for two years, but I think he has all the tools to be very good.

Also there's the possibility that the Hawks trade up to 7 to take someone else... Blackmon or Floyd maybe? Who knows...

So then you shouldn't be worried about Tannehill, unless you're just sold on Flynn.

Curtis Painter has a new home. Next to the best QB in the league...*snicker* (Poor Flacco)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/ravens-sign-curtis-painter/

The Ravens held a backup quarterback derby on Thursday and the winner was Curtis Painter.

Painter, Kyle Boller and Dennis Dixon all worked out for the team and the Ravens announced Thursday afternoon that they have signed Painter to a one-year deal. When it was announced Boller would be working out for the team that made him a 2003 first round pick, many wondered if history would stop him from getting the job. As it turns out, they were looking at the wrong history.

Seahawks are not a qb or a player away from competing. I hope they take tannehill.... They are a clueless organization! Feels good to be in the NFC west with 3 stupid fucking teams for us to feast on!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And after a few days of OTAs they suddenly want Tannehill. Go figure.

I love the week before the draft when everybody believes everything they hear and, when the draft eventually comes, none of it actually happens.

cdyhybrid

So then you shouldn't be worried about Tannehill, unless you're just sold on Flynn.
Tannehill is nowhere near where Jake was coming out of college. Jake also played against teams that fielded scholarship players on defense.

Also what Eznark said... Misuse of resources could get so much more than Tannehill. Actual needs and shit.

Vontaze Burfict has fallen about as far as he could at this point but Mayock continues to the assault and calls him an outright "undraftable kid". Not because of the off the field issues, either:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/mayock-calls-vontaze-burfict-a-non-draftable-kid/

“I put his tape on with absolutely zero preconceived notions,” Mayock explained in a Thursday conference call with media. “I watched three tapes and really didn’t like him as a football player.

“I think he’s a non-draftable kid. For me, he’s a free agent.”

The common misconception with Burfict is that his problems occurred during the pre-draft process, when Burfict bombed at the Combine and again at his Pro Day. As Mayock has explained, however, Burfict’s fall occurred during games. He’s just not a good player.

Curious if he does end up undrafted and if so, what team takes a chance on him.

Plinko

Vontaze Burfict has fallen about as far as he could at this point but Mayock continues to the assault and calls him an outright "undraftable kid". Not because of the off the field issues, either:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/mayock-calls-vontaze-burfict-a-non-draftable-kid/

Curious if he does end up undrafted and if so, what team takes a chance on him.

Mike Mayock, ladies and gentlemen--the man who insisted the Lions draft Aaron Curry instead of Matt Stafford.

LJ11

I'd be pretty annoyed at the misuse of resources more than anything.

Yeah, I thought about that but it's mostly money in Flynn's case and they have plenty of it. Contract isn't that prohibitive and you can groom Tannehill for a year or two.

Tannehill is nowhere near where Jake was coming out of college. Jake also played against teams that fielded scholarship players on defense.

Also what Eznark said... Misuse of resources could get so much more than Tannehill. Actually needs and shit.

Completely disagree. You line up the two and all Locker has is + arm strength and + speed, though Tannehill is no slouch as an athlete. Locker isn't even in the same stratosphere pocket awareness/presence, dude is junk inside the pocket, roll him the fuck out or hes toast.

I think you're praise of Locker leads to believe you're a homer. Also have to laugh at the defense comment, Locker looked lost against any defense. Guy couldn't read coverage to save his life. I'm actually rooting against him at this point, hope he's a huge failure.

eznark

Banned
^ The team is good enough to win now in that awful division. Doesn't make sense to waste a top 15 pick on a guy who has no realistic chance of starting.

Mike Mayock, ladies and gentlemen--the man who insisted the Lions draft Aaron Curry instead of Matt Stafford.

Maybe if they had Aaron Curry they wouldn't have been clowned by the Packups.

LJ11

^ The team is good enough to win now in that awful division. Doesn't make sense to waste a top 15 pick on a guy who has no realistic chance of starting.

Yeah, they have a chance of winning that division, though I'm not sure it's a good chance, but winning a division doesn't mean much. Can they win a Superbowl with Flynn at the helm? I think that's the question they're asking themselves, but their guess is as good as ours at this point.

Plinko said:
So he's not perfect in predicting the outcome of the draft or the success of a player in the NFL? *note sarcasm*

Is it your view that Burfict is a draftable prospect and should be taken even in the later rounds?

eznark

Banned
Yeah, they have a chance of winning that division, though I'm not sure it's a good chance, but winning a division doesn't mean much. Can they win a Superbowl with Flynn at the helm? I think that's the question they're asking themselves, but their guess is as good as ours at this point.

Just get in, and anything can happen. I don't see anything special about Tannehill. Can he be a pretty good quarterback for awhile? Sure. Is he a once in a lifetime pick? Nah, I don't see it. He'll be available next year. Barkley, Bray hell, even Landry Jones. I don't see a massive talent gulf between them and Tannehill.

LJ11

Just get in, and anything can happen. I don't see anything special about Tannehill. Can he be a pretty good quarterback for awhile? Sure. Is he a once in a lifetime pick? Nah, I don't see it. He'll be available next year. Barkley, Bray hell, even Landry Jones. I don't see a massive talent gulf between them and Tannehill.

I definitely see a gap between Jones and Tannehill. Tannehill sticks the outside throw with ease, Jones predominately works between the the hashes, rarely is asked to throw a ten to fifteen yard comeback or out. Different offenses, which makes the comparison harder, but I think Ryan has better arm, pocket presence, accuracy outside the the numbers and mobility.

We'll see, he's definitely not a once in a lifetime pick but few players are.

yacobod

Banned
Mike Adams, OT out of Ohio State, and potential first round draft pick in the 2012 NFL draft, tested positive for weed at the Scouting Combine.

What a dope.

story here.

cdyhybrid

Mike Adams, OT out of Ohio State, and potential first round draft pick in the 2012 NFL draft, tested positive for weed at the Scouting Combine.

What a dope.

story here.
According to the story on Oregon that just came out, most teams don't care as long as you don't lie about it and you seem sincere about staying in line once you're in the league.

eznark

Banned
I definitely see a gap between Jones and Tannehill. Tannehill sticks the outside throw with ease, Jones predominately works between the the hashes, rarely is asked to throw a ten to fifteen yard comeback or out. Different offenses, which makes the comparison harder, but I think Ryan has better arm, pocket presence, accuracy outside the the numbers and mobility.

We'll see, he's definitely not a once in a lifetime pick but few players are.

Yeah, he was kind of a reach but I'm guessing someone jump up kind of out of nowhere anyway.

LiveWire

Feels good to be in the NFC west with 3 stupid fucking teams for us to feast on!

Seattle Seahawks in 2005 said:
Feels good to be in the NFC west with 3 stupid fucking teams for us to feast on!

Arizona Cardinals in 2008 said:

St. Louis Rams in Week 16 of 2010 said:

Don't worry, your team will be back in the gutter soon enough!

Top Bottom