• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Bowser

Just fucking blow up the Saints. Crooked team in a crooked town. Wipe it from the league.

drew-brees_1571855c.jpg

"Oh yeah? Show me the evidence. Where is the EVIDENCE?!"

h3ro

Holy shit at this listening device story...

asterisks. asterisks everywhere.

QUICK, SOMEONE SHOW BREES THE RECEIPTS!

Fucking amazing. You have to work hard to make the Pats scandal from a few years ago look downright reserved. Between Bounty Gate, Gregg Williams talking targeting ACL's and this...the Saints have somehow accomplished it. With flourish to boot....

BREES WANTS EVIDENCE THOUGH!

I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Kraft and Belichick were behind this total destruction of the Saints. Why the Saints and not the Jets or Giants? Because nobody would suspect it!

eznark

Banned
Institutionalized felonious activity...there is literally no punishment the NFL could hand down that would match the crime short of a forced ownership change.

I'm going to miss Dawkins' presence on the defense and it's sad to see him retire but he had a great career. He was the driving force behind it and it's one hell of a loss for us.

Also wow at that Saints news. Things just keep getting worse for them.

Bowser

Apparently this happened from 2002 - 2004, when the Saints went 9-7, 8-8, 8-8 and were 12-12 at home during that span. While those may not seem like great records when you know what plays are coming, consider the fact that in 2005, when the Saints couldn't play in the Superdome (and thus Loomis couldn't spy on opposing team's plays), they went 3-13!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
WOW--that Saints news is huge--much bigger than the bounty stuff.

What else do they take away?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
came here when I saw eznark on twitter say "Death Penalty for the Aints"

Had to see what's going on.... OH LAWD AINTS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED

eznark

Banned
Apparently this happened from 2002 - 2004, when the Saints went 9-7, 8-8, 8-8 and were 12-12 at home during that span. While those may not seem like great records when you know what plays are coming, consider the fact that in 2005, when the Saints couldn't play in the Superdome (and thus Loomis couldn't spy on opposing team's plays), they went 3-13!

Dude, this is so much larger than football. This is quite literally a federal offense.

Look at their points scored differential, home vs. away, particularly against division opponents. hmmm

I'm sure he stopped after that. That's probably just the years the sources are aware of it happening.

Bowser

Dude, this is so much larger than football. This is quite literally a federal offense.

Article says the statute of limitations for such an offense is 5 years, so if the spying was indeed stopped after the 2004 season, Loomis will get off scot-free (from a criminal charge perspective).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ESPN said:
Greg Bensel, Saints vice president of communications, said Monday afternoon on behalf of the Saints and Loomis: "This is 1,000 percent false. This is 1,000 percent inaccurate."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league was unaware of the allegations.

Interesting. So the league hadn't even heard about it?

eznark

Banned
Article says the statute of limitations for such an offense is 5 years, so if the spying was indeed stopped after the 2004 season, Loomis will get off scot-free (from a criminal charge perspective).

Goodell cares not for your statute of limitations

Plinko

Apparently the Saints requested evidence from ESPN that this eavesdropping actually happened and weren't given any.

Lonestar

Loomis is screaming "1,000 % false, 1,000% inaccurate"

But since anything over 100% is incorrect:

Boom, Aints Done.

eznark

Banned
While I want it to be true, I'm going to call mostly bullshit on this one. OtL is historically fast and loose with facts and they seem to have run this story with a single anonymous source.

Bowser

Their point differential was +186 at home and +22 away last year. From an eye test perspective, the defense played a lot better at home.

Remember this is only supposed to cover the '02-'04 seasons, so you should probably looking at the point differential from those seasons.

Lonestar

While I want it to be true, I'm going to call mostly bullshit on this one. OtL is historically fast and loose with facts and they seem to have run this story with a single anonymous source.

Weren't they involved on the Scam Newton Auburn story?

Still waiting :/

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

It practically was when people were being paid to hurt others.

This just turns it from "practically" to "officially".

What next, people have to debug locker rooms before every game?

It'll be interesting to see if the "good ol' boys" club of owners will actually turn against one of their own through all this. I don't think Goddell has a lot of power to affect the Saints ownership except maybe a fine.

So dirty ass team in dirty ass town gets caught doing dirty (and now literally illegal) ass things again?

Goodell about to bring some SMU-level pain on the Taints.

Loomis can kiss his professional football career goodbye.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So dirty ass team in dirty ass town gets caught doing dirty (and now literally illegal) ass things again?

Goodell about to bring some SMU-level pain on the Taints.

Loomis can kiss his professional football career goodbye.

Again, would love to see this but I think there's a point where owners can nearly get away with murder. More than likely everyone below ownership is going to get slapped hard if this is held up.

Remember this is only supposed to cover the '02-'04 seasons, so you should probably looking at the point differential from those seasons.

That's the assumption yes but if this were to turn out true, then I think every season up to this point would also be called in to question.

Yeah, that plus this part

But the statute of limitations, the window federal prosecutors have to pursue any criminal charges against Loomis or the Saints, would only extend for five years after the date of such an offense, Emmick said.

If Loomis no longer had the ability to eavesdrop on opposing coaches after the 2004 season, he would be free from any potential criminal prosecution for a violation of the ECPA, Emmick said.

Loomis' alleged activity also would be a violation of Louisiana state law, according to Danny Onorato, a former assistant U.S. attorney now in private practice in Washington, D.C., where he specializes in white-collar crime. The statute of limitations for the law governing electronic eavesdropping in Louisiana is six years, Onorato said.

makes me think nothing will come of this. And Goodell will probably just tell em to stop it and keep their nose clean from here on out.

Top Bottom