• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Fox318

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/25/trent-richardson-is-no-1-player-on-jets-draft-board/
The Jets are moving back toward a “ground-and-pound” offensive approach, but lack a difference-making running back. Coming out of Alabama, Trent Richardson is expected to be a game changer at the next level. The Jets certainly think so.

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio is reporting that Richardson is the No. 1-rated player on the Jets’ draft board. Sal Pal was invited to sit in Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum’s office along with coach Rex Ryan on Wednesday, so he obviously has trustworthy insight here.

Would the Jets consider trading up from the No. 16 pick into the top five, in order to land Richardson? Richardson thinks they might after Jets officials contacted him on Sunday night.
“They wanted to know my information as far as whether it’s the right number to reach me in case something does happen, with them trading up,” Richardson revealed.
Paolantonio’s story does acknowledge that a Jets trade up is a “long shot” because such a deal would require a hefty dose of compensation. Tannenbaum has a history of moving up the draft board, however. He did it in the 2007, 2008, and 2009 first rounds.

Those trades netted the Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, tight end Dustin Keller, and quarterback Mark Sanchez.
I want pass rush damn it.

Bowser

Player most likely to suck/bust.

Quinton Coples

Coples told me Panthers general manager Marty Hurney and coach Ron Rivera visited with him and members of his family for “a couple of hours” Monday in Chapel Hill.

“They came down to visit with me and my parents and got a chance to see my family and get familiar with where I came from,” Coples said. He added that it “would be great” to be drafted by Carolina and that in his mind the talk of his taking plays off is unwarranted.

http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2012/04/mayock-really-does-not-like-coples-and.html

I'm a UNC fan but...urgh...he's either gonna be a terror or a supreme bust, I can't see an in-between. I think this is significant because the Panthers met with Cam Newton's family for a few hours a couple of days before the draft before taking him as well...

How has Jimmy Smith turned out with the Ravens? I remember him having off the field issues prior to the draft and the Ravens took a chance on him at 27. Some said that from a talent level he should have been a Top 10 pick.

I get character concerns and teams have to make sure to do their homework but to completely pull a guy with his talent level off of your board?

darkside31337 said:
Jenkins to the Bengals at 21 is so happening now.
Watch him be damned good, too. They'll have to pay his paternity bills but he'll be locking shit down for them for years to come.;)

I want Jenkins on the Lions but I'm just not sure I'd roll the dice on. I think he'd work out on a team with a vet locker room/strong coaching staff, but that's not the Lions. He'd go wild here I bet.

squicken

http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2012/04/mayock-really-does-not-like-coples-and.html

I'm a UNC fan but...urgh...he's either gonna be a terror or a supreme bust, I can't see an in-between. I think this is significant because the Panthers met with Cam Newton's family for a few hours a couple of days before the draft before taking him as well...

Rams met with Quinn's family and it was all God and happy happy and the dude doesn't give a shit. Some weird thing about defensive linemen and effort wrt North Carolina

edit: PD it's not so much that they care about the guy being a problem, but it has to do with money. Jets had to advance Cromarte money to keep him out of jail. And a guy getting his check docked every month for a bunch of kids starts to live in a little less luxury than he used to, and his hangers on start feeling the pinch, and tell him he needs a new contract. So a guy with 6 kids paying 80k/month in support and alimony decides he thinks the team should be respinsible for that

How has Jimmy Smith turned out with the Ravens? I remember him having off the field issues prior to the draft and the Ravens took a chance on him at 27. Some said that from a talent level he should have been a Top 10 pick.

I get character concerns and teams have to make sure to do their homework but to completely pull a guy with his talent level off of your board?

Watch him be damned good, too. They'll have to pay his paternity bills but he'll be locking shit down for them for years to come.;)

Watching from afar he hasn't gotten into much trouble. He's got skill, but he's green and he got picked on a lot last year, most notably in the game against the Chargers. Pats went after him too.

LJ11

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
God I hope they don't pull that bullshit where the camera pans to the pick before it's announced this year. Hopefully there was enough public complaints for it to reach their ears.

Not only has that been canned, but the NFL has warned the networks AND the teams not to blow the picks beforehand.

I'm REALLY hoping this means guys like Schefter aren't blowing the pick. I'll be watching NFL Network, anyway, and I'm pretty sure they won't be doing it.

ActStriker said:
Looks like the undisclosed pick the Eagles got for Asante was a 7th rounder for this year
That's an excellent pickup for the Falcons. Tons of value for a 7th round pick. Add in the contract restructure and they came away with a smile. It's obvious the Eagles wanted him off their books quickly.

effzee

Looks like the undisclosed pick the Eagles got for Asante was a 7th rounder for this year

http://twitter.com/davespadaro/status/195251934150672385

What a joke. They had a deal with the Lions for a 2nd round pick last year but passed because apparently the key to any great D is over loading the CB position while ignoring LB. So they tried again to fit 3 pro bowl CBs after it failed the last time with Sheldon Brown, Lito Sheppard, and Asante himself and it failed again! Who would have thought?!?!

Now just a 7th round pick for a player that they broke the bank for? Idiots :(

Wes

venison crêpe
I like SportsNation.

There. I said it.

ghKS2.gif

Brinbe

Eh, I'm not too broken up about this Asante trade. He's 31-years-old now, wanted to get paid more than he's worth and didn't fit what we're doing anymore. Simple. And with McRib/Westy (okay, not Dawk) and numerous other vets, we usually can tell when players are a bit past it. I trust their judgment on this, at least.

Yes, I'm sure the FO regrets not dealing Samuel last season, but I suppose it was worth a shot to see if it'd work out. It didn't, and now we moved on.

Of course, the compensation sucks, but that was clearly the market for him at this point. We'll use that money to extend Shady, draft someone more suited to defend in the slot, and hopefully some of the Eagle-mopers climb off the ledge.

And I look forward to Falcons-Age's reaction when Asante gets badly burned in coverage or just generally fails to tackle altogether.

Now, goddamn I wish it were Thursday night. I need this draft already!
LLShC.gif

Picking this late in the draft is like having Matt Millen drafting again. I truly have no idea what Detroit is going to do. So many options and we'll probably end up with another D-line guy. Bring it on!

Wes

venison crêpe
Rotoworld speculating that Mayock sending Blackmon to the Browns in his mock is more likely to do with a tip rather than his own opinion as he's been saying the Browns should pick Richardson for a few months.

Wes

venison crêpe
@SI_PeterKing

This Richardson stuff is so silly--a great example of the circle-jerking of a jillion of us covering the draft for far, far too long.

Bowser

lol I would've supported Cam getting the Madden cover. I think this curse bs is all coincidence. I'm sure Megatron will still tear it up this year.

UberTag

I voted for Megatron in every round. And yet I own him in a couple keeper leagues.
Clearly I like to tempt fate.

I won't be drafting him in any $$ leagues this year. The curse is real! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

Picking this late in the draft is like having Matt Millen drafting again. I truly have no idea what Detroit is going to do. So many options and we'll probably end up with another D-line guy. Bring it on!

I'm not too worried. Mayhew seems pretty competent at drafting good players (Suh, Stafford, Pettigrew, etc.). Can't wait for the future All-Pro that the Lions draft tomorrow.

Megatron on the Madden cover...Cam is pretty upset...

Bullshit. I demand a recount!

Top Bottom