• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

RBH

Bucs coming up for Trent Richardson? Matt Kalil could fall

The draft starts with the third pick, and the Minnesota Vikings remain very much open for business. Several GMs I spoke to believe their best (only?) option might be getting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to move up a few spots to make sure they land Trent Richardson. The Alabama running back loves Tampa's staff and the Bucs love him as well. But Cleveland, picking fourth, could easily take him. So will the Bucs come and get Richardson?

If not, the Vikings are picking between Justin Blackmon, Matt Kalil or Morris Claiborne. And, again, a few GMs picking in the top 10 believe that in the end they go with Blackmon over the left tackle. Either way, the uncertainty at this point in the draft is making things interesting. And Minnesota is most definitely open to entertaining offers.

Let's say they don't take Kalil. Then where does he go? There aren't many teams in the top 10 who are crying out for a left tackle and they have bigger holes to fill. Could he fall all the way to Buffalo at No. 10 or would the Bills move up a bit to break his fall? People I've talked to who have worked with Buddy Nix don't get the sense he's inclined to move up to grab someone. And, needing to fill multiple holes, Gailey is exploring trade-down options himself.

It's going to be very interesting around 8:30 p.m. ET, with the calls and decisions being made in real time.

Browns could end up with three first-round picks

Teams and agents are trying to figure out where QB Brandon Weeden will go. Specifically, what do the Browns do at No. 22? Cleveland really likes Weeden, according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, but ideally, they'd love him at No. 37, in the second round.

I suspect if the Browns don't take him 22nd, and at this point I don't think they will, then a trade up into the late first round isn't out of the question.
If the Browns want to get a jump on anyone thinking about leaping to the top of the second round Friday, they could go ahead and do business with Bill Belichick, who is always looking to deal, at No. 31 and get their quarterback. The Browns' dream scenario would allow them to take a WR, RB and QB with their top three picks. A year ago GM Tom Heckert did some excellent wheeling and dealing. Maybe he can do it again.

First trade will involve Mark Barron

I will make a prediction that the first trade of the draft will come with Alabama safety Mark Barron the target. Teams love him. Teams feel he is most definitely a value pick outside of the top 10 and if he gets past Buffalo, look out. Calls will be coming in to get ahead of teams like Dallas to nab Barron.

Three receivers in first half of the draft?

Very quietly, the Kansas City Chiefs have done a lot of work on receivers, and I hear they love Michael Floyd. I don't see Floyd getting beyond the 11th or 12th spot in this draft. Watch for Arizona to make a move. The Cards believe he is special and could form a ridiculous tandem with Larry Fitzgerald. If he's there around 10, Arizona is primed to move up.

Blackmon, at worst, ends up at No. 7. People I talk to are convinced the Jags are sold on him (of course, if he's gone, and given Floyd's off-field issues -- character matters infinitely in Jacksonville -- then the Jags could have a quandary). And Kendall Wright is very hot as well. Again, Kansas City at 11 is in consideration. Everyone is putting the Jets with a pass rusher, and it makes sense, but Wright is someone the Jets have paid a lot of attention to as well. Regardless, I see three receivers in the top half of the first round.

More bad boys for Detroit?

The Lions are not afraid to take a perceived "bad boy," or someone with a few run-ins off the field. And there are two prospects who have had off-field issues who would fill a need at No. 23 -- corner Janoris Jenkins and tackle Mike Adams. The Lions could take either one. Alabama corner Dre Kirkpatrick would be the pick if he's there, I believe, but he might be gone. If the Lions were to go with Adams, then I'd be quite surprised if they didn't come back with a corner in the second round.

Surprise corner for Patriots?

Like others, I expect New England to trade one of its two first-round picks. If they stay at No. 31, though, they have done a lot of work on corners. It would be a surprise, but I continue to hear strong reports on Vandy corner Casey Hayward. New England did a lot of work on him. If New England does deal with Cleveland, and move back atop the second round, then Howard may be in play there as well.

Eagles a wild card in back half of draft

With seemingly so little separating many of the pass rushers in this draft, and that being something the Eagles are looking at, Philly is perched in the middle of the first round with the ability to go in any direction. They really covet Fletcher Cox, from what I hear, though moving up to get him would be steep (the Eagles do have an arsenal of picks, however). They could drop back to the 20s and still land someone to give them a push off the edge.

Philadelphia is an aggressive front office and it is not afraid to be bold. Can't help but wonder if the Eagles do something that alters the course of the back half of Thursday's festivities.

Chandler Jones, Vinny Curry are hot

Some have suggested to me that if Jags GM Gene Smith is left without Blackmon at seventh overall, then Chandler Jones could wind up there. Smith is not afraid to take someone higher than many draft experts would project him. To me, No. 7 is the highest Jones could go, and I don't think he makes it past the middle of the first round.

Vinny Curry made something like 13 visits. He isn't the total package right now, but the raw athleticism could be enough to get him into the 20s. There's been a lot of talk about Courtney Upshaw sliding, but I don't think the Alabama product slides past fellow Crimson Tide product Ozzie Newsome, Ravens GM, at pick 29. Quinton Coples has heard the slide talk as well, but I think he still ends up in the top third of this draft, if not the top 10.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...draft-latest-rumblings-from-around-the-league

jbug617

Banned
If Clairborne goes top 3 what does Tampa do if Browns go with Richardson. I think they should trade back with Buffalo (Bills take Kalil).

eznark

Banned
Way too much football talk on this page.

Why the hell am I getting a Torchlight 2 preorder offer email when the game doesn't even have a release date?

Such a cock tease.

LJ11

He's being drastically overrated value wise, IMO and he's who I felt the Giants were targeting. I've watched Syracuse games and while the team was shit and he didn't have a lot around him, the pedigree of his name is seemingly pushing him up the boards more than the production on the field. His measurables are good but teams may be suffering from "maybe he's JPP 2.0" syndrome.

Mayock was on NFLN saying "I think he'll be the best defensive player to come out of this draft".....really? I just don't know where the fire has suddenly been lit for the guy. A ridiculous statement for a DE that Mayock didn't even have in his Top 5 two weeks ago!

Robert Ayers never forget.

I'm sure teams, some of them anyway, were high on Jones and as the draft approached the draft gurus got wind of it and jumped on it. So all this shit they spew about film is horseshit, they'll change their minds based on what they hear not what they see.

More bad boys for Detroit?

The Lions are not afraid to take a perceived "bad boy," or someone with a few run-ins off the field. And there are two prospects who have had off-field issues who would fill a need at No. 23 -- corner Janoris Jenkins and tackle Mike Adams. The Lions could take either one. Alabama corner Dre Kirkpatrick would be the pick if he's there, I believe, but he might be gone. If the Lions were to go with Adams, then I'd be quite surprised if they didn't come back with a corner in the second round.

THIS IS NOT THE NBA AND YOU ARE NOT THE PISTONS. STOP IT.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
God I hope the Vikings pick Clairborne over Kalil. It's so stupid to use a pick that high on a DB anytime.

Whether it's Ed Reed, Revis or Polamalu the elite DB's are usually picked in the late first round.

If the Vikes want a DB they might as well trade down because there are plenty of solid DB's in this draft. Claireborne hasn't showed his head and shoulders above the rest of this draft nor worthy to be a #3 pick.

LJ11

God I hope the Vikings pick Clairborne over Kalil. It's so stupid to use a pick that high on a DB anytime.

Whether it's Ed Reed, Revis or Polamalu the elite DB's are usually picked in the late first round.

If the Vikes want a DB they might as well trade down because there are plenty of solid DB's in this draft. Claireborne hasn't showed his head and shoulders above the rest of this draft nor worthy to be a #3 pick.

Charles Woodson, Deion Sanders, Ronnie Lott, all top ten selections. Not saying Claiborne is that good, but right off the top of my head I named three that were taken high and were the best. Just never know.

WedgeX

Banned
Going to be working during the draft tonight. Man I miss working with a dad who would have espn on during some of our home visits.

yacobad said:
first torchlight was a competent dungeon crawl but totally generic.
I wasn't a big fan of the art and general look of the game but I thought it was stronger than just "competent". I'll be getting both though my anticipation level for Diablo is much higher.

eznark

Banned
Charles Woodson, Deion Sanders, Ronnie Lott, all top ten selections. Not saying Claiborne is that good, but right off the top of my head I named three that were taken high and were the best. Just never know.

It's such an arbitrary and foolish way to think of talent anyway. Especially if you are talking about safeties (as he was). Just based on position they are going to go late first even if they are the best safety in years (generally). There is no inherent reason that x position is going to be a bust at y pick. It's usually more to do with the later pick going to a better team and better situation.

No matter who the Vikings take at 3 the player is likely to have a terrible career because they will be going to an atrocious organization in the middle of a move to LA. That same guy could get selected 28 by the greatest sports organization in human history and likely end up in the Hall of Fame. Good teams draft late and are better at developing talent.

BigAT

Robert Ayers never forget.

I'm sure teams, some of them anyway, were high on Jones and as the draft approached the draft gurus got wind of it and jumped on it. So all this shit they spew about film is horseshit, they'll change their minds based on what they hear not what they see.

I read something similar yesterday saying that most players aren't actually "droppers", it's just media guys getting wind of what teams' draft boards actually look like and correcting their previously inaccurate perceptions on a player. The leagues value on the player hasn't really changed, it's just that the media swung and missed in the first place.

eznark

Banned
I read something similar yesterday saying that most players aren't actually "droppers", it's just media guys getting wind of what teams' draft boards actually look like and correcting their previously inaccurate perceptions on a player. The leagues value on the player hasn't really changed, it's just that the media swung and missed in the first place.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday too. I think it was Brandt. That guy is seriously fantastic. If this were a just world he would be doing Florio's job. Although, I doubt NBC could afford him.

LJ11

It's such an arbitrary and foolish way to think of talent anyway. Especially if you are talking about safeties (as he was). Just based on position they are going to go late first even if they are the best safety in years (generally). There is no inherent reason that x position is going to be a bust at y pick. It's usually more to do with the later pick going to a better team and better situation.

No matter who the Vikings take at 3 the player is likely to have a terrible career because they will be going to an atrocious organization in the middle of a move to LA. That same guy could get selected 28 by the greatest sports organization in human history and likely end up in the Hall of Fame. Good teams draft late and are better at developing talent.

Right, you never know, safer talent goes later as teams try to make a splash at the top, teams at the top are shitty etc. Lots of variables. You can find talent anywhere.

Agreed, only rational conclusion.

brentech

Florio's problem is getting away from what he was doing even 7 years ago. Now he just panders to the league and it's audience. Rumors are hardly the site's bread&butter anymore. It's basically just a bunch of shitty espn articles now.

edit: had to add a few years, shit time goes by fast.

eznark

Banned
Florio's problem is getting away from what he was doing even 7 years ago. Now he just panders to the league and it's audience. Rumors are hardly the site's bread&butter anymore. It's basically just a bunch of shitty espn articles now.

edit: had to add a few years, shit time goes by fast.

What? Rumor mongering, made up bullshit and speculative border-line slander is and always will be his bread and butter.

Fox318

If the Cards get Floyd holy shit. They have have a really good offense if they just had another WR to pair with Fitz.
Who is throwing to them?

Way too much football talk on this page.

Why the hell am I getting a Torchlight 2 preorder offer email when the game doesn't even have a release date?

Such a cock tease.
Torchlight 2 may have the most incompetent dev team ever.

When you set a deadline you should meet it.

Kosmo

Banned
Yeah, I saw that yesterday too. I think it was Brandt. That guy is seriously fantastic. If this were a just world he would be doing Florio's job. Although, I doubt NBC could afford him.

This is why I'm saddened that there is no Rick Gosselin moct this year. He would always do a few mocks heading up to the draft, something like first drafting on need, then drafting on value, and he would always end with what he thought would happen and was usually damn close because he went by his sources, not whatever cockamamie system Kiper and Mayock come up with.

brentech

Let no Patriot fan ever claim their city isn't the most racist in the sporting world again

http://chirpstory.com/li/6781
OMG, the comments on that page take it so much further. Damn. They're fucking horrible.

What? Rumor mongering, made up bullshit and speculative border-line slander is and always will be his bread and butter.
Well, I remember going there in 2005, and there didn't seem to be so many basic news stories that you can read at every other outlet (which is what PFT seems like today). Yeah, rumors missed (they're rumors after all), but back then he seemed to care a little bit about getting that shit right and out prior to anything ESPN had available.

Now it's all the same shit from everyone.

Wes

venison crêpe
Schefter:

Teams open to trading up if right player is there include Jacksonville, Buffalo, Philadelphia, San Diego, New England, Green Bay.

Teams open to trading back for the right offer include Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Miami, Seattle, Dallas, NY Jets, Detroit.

Fox318

If that's the barometer for the quality of a development team, then there are no good ones out there.

They have missed almost every deadline on what was supposed to be small incremental improvements to eventually build an MMO and they have refused to increase the size of their team and spent way to much time on porting Torchlight 1 on the Xbox 360.

Top Bottom