• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

yacobod

Banned
At this point bears fans can only trust emery until he shows us why he can't. I hope he just wasn't trying to be cute on his first draft here.

Ya I'm going to give him a benefit of the doubt. Mayock had McCellin as the 14th rated prospect on the draft, my only concern is does he fit the scheme?

I think we can get good value in the 2nd round with the way the first round played out.

Some good DTs out there: Jerel Worthy, Devon Still
Plent of OT choices: Jonathan Martin, Mike Adams, Cordy Glenn
CB: Janoris Jenkins (I'd love the Bears to take a chance on the best cover corner in the draft)
WR: Ruben Randle, Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffery, Tommy Streeter
LB: Lavonte David, Zach Brown, Courtney Upshaw
TE: Coby Fleener
DE: Vinny Curry, Andre Branch

We should get somebody who can help out day 1.

Fox318

But we gotta destroy Brady too. And we really have to stop getting destroyed by TEs. And we have to get 1 or 2 WR prospects. And we have to protect the Sanchize.

Coples was a pretty good pick - especially if he can be developed into that Rex Ryan type of universal lineman/end - but we have so many holes to fill.

You are gonna see the Jets either pick a Saftey or WR next (unless the ravens pass on Upshaw).

Fins are probably gonna try and get the TE from Stanford. Defense against TE with the 2 in England and Scott Chandler in Buffalo so the Jets may get a few safeties ( Especially with Smiths contract)

Fox318

Bollocks. I don't see him start this year anyway, he will be learning for two years then pull a Rogers 2.0. By that time, Rex is fired and hired by Fins as D coordinator, the only job he does well (unless you're counting talking our of your arse a job, then it's two jobs he does well).
x5Vr1.gif

Though true, that's a low blow, man...

I like the Browns. No matter what team you root for you can always say:"Well at least they are better than the Browns"

Eagles GM Roseman said that they had 27 players with 1st round grades and not all of those players were drafted last night. I wonder if they are planning to trade up and get one of the guys that fell.

Sokantish

The Raiders first round pick this year was better than 3 of our 4 last actual first round picks so this draft is off to a good start already!

effzee

Eagles GM Roseman said that they had 27 players with 1st round grades and not all of those players were drafted last night. I wonder if they are planning to trade up and get one of the guys that fell.

I hope one of those guys is an OLB.

Is Upshaw the best LB left on the board? I would love it for the Eagles to move up or do whatever they can to get him. Or hopefully he falls to them.

I love COX!

I hope one of those guys is an OLB.

Is Upshaw the best LB left on the board? I would love it for the Eagles to move up or do whatever they can to get him. Or hopefully he falls to them.

I love COX!

Upshaw or Brown, I have seen a few sites rate Brown higher. I would be very happy with either guy.

Bowser

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--r...ter-their-first-two-choices-were-drafted.html

Mike Silver was inside Rams draft room. Got prison raped. Twice. New regime same as old regime

Had Brockers come off the board next, the Rams would have tried to trade down further in the first round or, failing that, chosen between Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff or Stanford guard David DeCastro.

LOLOLOL...if that had happened...man. To go into this draft with the second overall pick and to come out with one of those guys, that would have been crushing.

jakncoke

Banned
top 10 left on yahoo ranking

10) Devon Still DT Penn St
11) Orson Charles TE Georgia
12) Cordy Glenn G Georgia
13) Alameda Ta'amu DT Washington
18) Peter Konz C Wisconsin
20) Mike Adams T Ohio St
22) Janoris Jenkins CB N. Alabama
23) Coby Fleener TE Stanford
25) Brandom Thomson DT Clemson
26) Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama

man steelers should trade up and get Cordy Glenn.

Garryk

I wonder how mad the Dolphins are that they passed on The Legend 3x last year only to have to waste a top 10 pick on Tannehill this year?

Bowser

After seing how the draft has played out I am not quite as mad as I was when Kuechly was first announced as our pick. I would have preferred we draft Poe or Gilmore, because NG and CB are both positions of need; but with the way things have played out we are in a good position to draft either Worthy or Still at 40. I liked Cox a lot, but he's not much of an upgrade over either of those guys (especially Worthy). If we take Worthy I will be happy with our first two picks.

I'm not as downtrodden as I was earlier either. He was clearly BPA at #9, and given that our two All-Pro caliber LBs are both coming of serious injuries (I still have trouble envisioning Davis as a full-time starter after 3 ACL tears), it's probably the right pick too. I want Vinny Curry (DE) or Janoris Jenkins (CB) in the 2nd. We have Ron Edwards coming back to hold down one DT spot and I'm sure one of McClain or Fua will be better with a full off-season (they better, or they might as well be cut after the season if they're not). We need pass rush now - CJ can't do it alone - or coverage if we don't get pass rush.

Jon Beason @jonbeason
If @melkiperespn knew anything about football he'd get fired! I wonder how it feels to be known for being inaccurate. #Analyst? Riiiiiight.

Jon Beason @jonbeason
Tired of these so called experts taking shots at athletes on nat'l tv with no repercussions. #melkiperespn.

lololol

squicken

LOLOLOL...if that had happened...man. To go into this draft with the second overall pick and to come out with one of those guys, that would have been crushing.

Actually I wouldn't have minded Decastro pre-draft, but following Twitter last night, apparently he isn't regarded as next Steve Hutchinson that he was generally made out to be in early mocks.

I still think it's crushing. That's a puff piece and is 90% garbage. You have to read between the lines, and the reality is that the two players the Rams really coveted were on offense. They know they are historically bad offensively, knew they needed to fix it, and didn't

Just as dumb as last front office

Wes

venison crêpe
Take heart Browns fans, instead of having Julio Jones, you have a 28 year old rookie QB.

Actually for Julio Jones we got Brandon Weeden as well as Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Marecic, and were able to use their 4th rounder this year to secure Trent Richardson (who the Bucs and the Rams were trying to trade up for also if you believe the news this morning).

I'm ok with the trade from last year. What I'm disappointed with is taking Weeden at 22 when he likely was there at 37. Luckily the picks after us have been somewhat kind and we should still be able to get a good OT or WR at 37.

Kosmo

Banned
LOL, I found this post on ESPN about the Bears pick to be hilarious:

Can we please clear one thing here... His name is Shea McClellin and not Clay Matthews.

Actually for Julio Jones we got Brandon Weeden as well as Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Owen Marecic, and were able to use their 4th rounder this year to secure Trent Richardson (who the Bucs and the Rams were trying to trade up for also if you believe the news this morning).

I'm ok with the trade from last year. What I'm disappointed with is taking Weeden at 22 when he likely was there at 37. Luckily the picks after us have been somewhat kind and we should still be able to get a good OT or WR at 37.

Weeden was a joke pick, but I forgot Cleveland got all those picks last year from Atlanta for the Jones trade, which makes the price they paid to move up 1 spot only slightly less ridiculous.

krzy123

Brinbe

Upshaw or Brown, I have seen a few sites rate Brown higher. I would be very happy with either guy.

Mychal Kendricks or Lavonte David could be possibilities too, any of them I'd be fine with.

And as you said, we worked out Jenkins/brought him into town, and Howie's recently talked about how they're now taking a different view in-terms of "character" (article on that here), so I think the interest in Janoris is real and I wouldn't be surprised if we did take him. And fuck if he has twenty kids and smokes weed all day, based purely on film, Greg Cossell of NFL Films picked him fifth f'n overall. So the talent's there and the risk may be worth it.

But if not, there's always Trumaine Johnson/Brandon Boykin/Josh Robinson. Lots of options out there to improve at secondary/linebacker with three picks today.

squicken

The Rams wanted Richardson, but were not going to trade up for anyone in the first round. Their plan was to stockpile picks and hope things worked out for them.

Illinois is an interesting school to draft players from. Great recruting but terrible coaching. Guys have lots of ceiling out of there. Like the inverse of why I knew Tommie Harris and Gerald McCoy would disappoint, and why I would never take an Bama DB.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
1st Round hs recruit rankings
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1359762

For some reason this made me laugh, should I feel bad for laughing? cuz i dont.

Was in high school before Rivals.com recruiting rankings existed

Mwhaha..damn. Rivals has been around for awhile too...

Dude is as old as Aaron Rodgers. Who has been in the NFL for how long?

John Lynch's comments on Mark Barron

"What do I like so much? Everything. He sees things well. He recognizes and reacts quickly. He has very good athletic ability. He tackles well in space. He demonstrates great ball skills.

"In addition, he's nasty. He finishes, and he finishes violently."

Also can't believe that Baylor and Illinois get 2 1st round picks, Boise and Memphis get 1 each, all while Georgia, Florida, FSU, Arkansas, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan and others, had ZERO.

I believe only 2 players that were raised in Florida and played in Florida High Schools, were drafted. Also a shock. Richardson and the WR from Illinois.

Wes

venison crêpe
After Cleveland took Richardson off the board, the Vikings followed by selecting Kalil, and there were fist pumps in the war room. The Rams had no interest in Kalil and were now one pick away from landing Blackmon, who'd immediately have become the most potent weapon for third-year quarterback Sam Bradford.

The Bucs, Fisher and Snead believed, weren't likely to select Blackmon. When the Rams' IT director, Bill Consoli, announced that the Jags had traded up for the fifth pick (information that was revealed in the war room minutes before television viewers received the news, as Consoli was communicating with counterparts from the league's 31 other franchises), Fisher slammed his eyeglasses onto the table and uttered a one-syllable expletive.

ESPN

eznark

Banned
LOL, I found this post on ESPN about the Bears pick to be hilarious:

He is a better all around player than Matthews but his biggest qualities (intelligence, adaptability and athleticism) will be underutilized as a defensive end. Matthew is a pass rusher. McClellan is a line backer. The Bears are going to use him as a DE.

Mychal Kendricks or Lavonte David could be possibilities too, any of them I'd be fine with.

And as you said, we worked out Jenkins/brought him into town, and Howie's recently talked about how they're now taking a different view in-terms of "character" (article on that here), so I think the interest in Janoris is real and I wouldn't be surprised if we did take him. And fuck if he has twenty kids and smokes weed all day, based purely on film, Greg Cossell of NFL Films picked him fifth f'n overall. So the talent's there and the risk may be worth it.

But if not, there's always Trumaine Johnson/Brandon Boykin/Josh Robinson. Lots of options out there to improve at secondary/linebacker with three picks today.

Great points, it is crazy to me just how much talent is still left going into the 2nd round. If the Eagles are smart and get lucky I can see them getting a good DB and LB tonight. I would also love to see them get a WR who can challenge at the slot and help out on KRs. I think that wont happen until the 3rd day though.

Bowser

Football wouldn’t be football if people involved in running football teams weren’t telling something other than the truth.

It happened in Cleveland on Thursday, when according to Adam Schefter of ESPN the Browns told quarterback Colt McCoy they wouldn’t draft a quarterback in round one.

The Browns picked Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden with the 22nd overall selection.

Though the Browns had to do whatever they thought they should do to make the team better, why say anything to McCoy about their plans? Even if he was demanding an answer, there had to be a way to defuse the situation without lying to the guy.

While they may not care about what McCoy thinks if he’s now going to be displaced (and possibly traded or cut), there are other guys in the locker room who may now be less inclined to trust the coaching staff and/or the front office.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-they-wouldnt-take-quarterback-in-round-one/

Mike Holmgren ladies and gentlemen!

brentech

heh, for all that, the Browns better not start the year with McCoy at quarterback. It's just going to be ugly.

Start the new guy and get it over with.

krzy123

Also can't believe that Baylor and Illinois get 2 1st round picks, Boise and Memphis get 1 each, all while Georgia, Florida, FSU, Arkansas, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan and others, had ZERO.

I believe only 2 players that were raised in Florida and played in Florida High Schools, were drafted. Also a shock. Richardson and the WR from Illinois.

Boise had 2 picks (Martin and the DE/LB), FSU/Fla/Miami 0 (first time since 1980 i believe reading somewhere)

Top Bottom