• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

eznark

Banned
...Seattle drafted him 15th overall.

The Seahawks reahed and took him in the 1st round.

Edit: Beaten

So remains one more date: April 27, 2012. This is the second day of the NFL draft – when Rounds 2 and 3 will be held. While the first round was always too long a shot for the player who never should have been here, the second and third are not.

Ha, I didn't even realize it was the guy Seattle took. Misread the article thinking it was published today

eznark said:
lol @ giving a shit about rushing yards

Not to start a shit storm of Lions vs Steelers fans but I had a funny conversation about stats last night at a buddies house during the draft. He argued that if he was building a team today he would take Stafford over Big Ben based on him passing for 5k yards last season.

So a proven 2 time world championship QB who'll play even if his head fell off against a one year 5k yard passer who's managed 1 healthy season in 3 years. I just had to stop arguing after awhile...

Kastrioti said:
What time does round 2 start?
7pm.

eznark said:
Stafford is six years younger. I'd take him over Ben in half a heartbeat.
Make it more interesting: the "what if" scenario that progressed was knowing what we know now about each QB (with the benefit of hindsight), throw out the Super Bowls and injuries and if both were coming into the league without any wear and tear TODAY....

(we're cheating because we know what kind of players they are but that's the scenario)

If I was building a team I would take stafford also. He has already shown that at his best he is a better QB then Ben, he doesnt have the baggage either. The only concern about him is the injuries, but that wasnt much of a problem last year, plus Ben has also gotten hurt and missed time, plus Ben is so much older. Ben has had the better career but I think Staford has more upside at this point.

LJ11

Bruce Irvin quote

"I got 23 sacks in 2 yrs & I've never been coached."

This dude went from HS WR, to safety, to end.

mike-tolbert.jpg

What's that picture of Hendricks doing in there?

eznark

Banned
Make it more interesting: the "what if" scenario that progressed was knowing what we know now about each QB, throw out the Super Bowls and injuries and if both were coming into the league without any wear and tear TODAY....

I don't know. What I will say is if we are simply looking at skill set, I would take Stafford all else being equal.

Bruce Irvin quote

"I got 23 sacks in 2 yrs & I've never been coached."

This dude went from HS WR, to safety, to end.

Man, seems like a giant asshole.

Slo

Make it more interesting: the "what if" scenario that progressed was knowing what we know now about each QB, throw out the Super Bowls and injuries and if both were coming into the league without any wear and tear TODAY....

If you take away the rings what does Ben have going for him?

squicken

They also were extremely inept at stopping opposing running games. Could just as easily state the Rams suck for not addressing that in the 1st round, if they'd gone another route.

No reason to freak out. 3 picks in the next 13 belong to the Rams. Plenty of chances to do something about the offensive problems. Expect WR, OG, OLB in these three picks. That's four gaping holes addressed in the first 2 rounds.

League doesn't work that way anymore. Horrible defenses in playoffs last year. As I said earlier, Rams D being terrible was in large part due to always being on the field.

People said I was nuts for over-reacting to shittiness last pre-season, but they showed what they really were. That said, while any hope of getting impact in passing game is gone, there is still enough to grab 1970s ground and pound types

Slo said:
If you take away the rings what does Ben have going for him?
Going at it from the perspective that we know what both bring to the table.

Pros: Strong arm and has proven he can make every throw an NFL QB is asked to make. Good deep ball. Strong ability to extend plays and make "something out of nothing". You could call that good pocket presence/scrambling ability. Can make plays with his legs when asked to. Durable as hell and has the will and tenacity to play through injuries for the sake of his team.

Cons: Holds onto the ball for too long. Needs to be more decisive in his reads. The durability comes with a price as he sometimes he plays to the detriment of his team. Character issues are a major concern knowing what we know about Ben today.

Some of that could be born out of the situation he finds himself in. It would be interesting to posit what Ben would be if he had a quality offensive line in front of him. I don't know that much would change as propensity to hold onto the ball is just the type of player he is.

I would ask if the Vikings were in a position to draft Ben in 2012 (knowing what you know) - you would be against it?

eznark said:
What I will say is if we are simply looking at skill set, I would take Stafford all else being equal.
Fair enough.

RBH

Yeah, because Julio Jones wouldve raised this team from mediocrity. I mean, just look what he did for Atlanta. One and done to....one and done. Good shit.

Julio had a great rookie year and will only improve. He wasn't the reason for the Falcons' failure in the playoffs (if anything, Julio helped get us there in the first place), and I don't know why people look to him first when there were other people
MATT RYAN
that deserved the blame.

Slo

Going at it from the perspective that we know what both bring to the table.

Pros: Strong arm and has proven he can make every throw an NFL QB is asked to make. Good deep ball. Strong ability to extend plays and make "something out of nothing". You could call that good pocket presence/scrambling ability. Can make plays with his legs when asked to. Durable as hell and has the will and tenacity to play through injuries for the sake of his team.

Cons: Holds onto the ball for too long. Needs to be more decisive in his reads. The durability comes with a price as he sometimes he plays to the detriment of his team. Character issues are a major concern knowing what we know about Ben today.

Fair enough.

Ben: Good size, big arm, good leadership, hard to bring down, fat ass, character issues.
Matt: Good size, big arm, fat ass, durability issues.

Guess I'd give Ben the edge if they were both 22.

eznark

Banned
Sorry Future, I honestly do not remember a single thing about Stafford at Georgia. I was pretty high on the rapist when he came out though, so if we compare that I guess I would have taken Ben?

His accomplishments aren't things that you can really predict or scout. He was carried to a couple Super Bowls but he has also been downright amazing in playoff games as well.

squicken

You guys are nuts about Fatford. He has the strongest arm since Jeff George, but aside from that, I'd say his greatest attribute is Calvin Johnson. If serial rape doesn't bother you, Big Ben is clearly the choice

eznark said:
Sorry Future, I honestly do not remember a single thing about Stafford at Georgia. I was pretty high on the rapist when he came out though, so if we compare that I guess I would have taken Ben?
Eh, it was just an interesting conversation we had last night. I was personally on the Big Ben bandwagon during the thing but I can see why some would fall in love with Stafford.

The friend in question is a big Eagles fan and we had some other heated debates about whether Shady Mccoy was the best RB in the league or not.;)

dschalter

His accomplishments aren't things that you can really predict or scout. He was carried to a couple Super Bowls but he has also been downright amazing in playoff games as well.

he hasn't been that great in the playoffs tbh.

Excellent!

Ralph Vacchiano ‏ @TheBlueScreen

DE Mathias Kiwanuka has apparently signed a three-year contract extension with the Giants, keeping him signed through the 2015 season. #NYG

Osi's head must have exploded by now.

EDIT: Numbers on Kiwi's new deal:

Mike Garafolo ‏ @MikeGarafolo Close

Three added years for Kiwanuka at $2.95m, $4.375m and $4.775m. Base this year lowered from $4m to $950k. #nyg

The Shaun Rogers signing was, as expected for vet minimum of 925k. One year deal.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You guys are nuts about Fatford. He has the strongest arm since Jeff George, but aside from that, I'd say his greatest attribute is Calvin Johnson. If serial rape doesn't bother you, Big Ben is clearly the choice

Not this crap again. CJ had under 23% of the entire team's catches. Anybody who keeps using this argument is insane. Stafford puts the ball where it needs to go and has been doing it without a decent running game.

He's a great QB. I wouldn't put him in the top 3 but he's in that next level of guys.

dschalter

Not this crap again. CJ had under 23% of the entire team's catches. Anybody who keeps using this argument is insane. Stafford puts the ball where it needs to go and has been doing it without a decent running game.

He's a great QB. I wouldn't put him in the top 3 but he's in that next level of guys.

he 'only' has 23% of the catch, but he also makes other receivers much more open. truly elite WRs can lift the level of their entire offense massively, just look at how many mediocre QBs moss made look great (not that johnson is as good as moss was, but the principle still applies).

hiryu

Pretty happy about the Browns draft so far. Richardson should be a stud and it will be so nice now that defenses can't stack the box because we have an actually QB with an arm. I was so sick of McCoy throwing the 6 yard crossing route on third and eleven and his constant roll out to the right side when he felt pressure. Anybody who watches the Browns knows that McCoy sucks and lacks accuracy, velocity, and anticipation.

Really like the talent still available at 37 and would like Hill or Randle, Martin or Glenn, or even Upshaw or Brown.

Julio had a great rookie year and will only improve. He wasn't the reason for the Falcons' failure in the playoffs (if anything, Julio helped get us there in the first place), and I don't know why people look to him first when there were other people
MATT RYAN
that deserved the blame.

By extension of that....Mike Mularkey. Maybe we'll see some screen passes this year....revolutionary!

eznark

Banned

I like that you always say such stupid things. It's adorable.

Not this crap again. CJ had under 23% of the entire team's catches.
This is also stupid, unless you don't think that teams covering CJ with deep safeties and brackets affects the ability of other guys to get open.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
he 'only' has 23% of the catch, but he also makes other receivers much more open. truly elite WRs can lift the level of their entire offense massively, just look at how many mediocre QBs moss made look great (not that johnson is as good as moss was, but the principle still applies).

I love how he's one of only 3 guys to ever throw for over 5000 yards and people think he's mediocre. That's ludicrous. Most defenses he was playing against knew Detroit's running game was hot garbage and so they played against the pass. He still managed to get the ball where it needed to be. Detroit has CJ and that helps a lot but Stafford still has to get the ball there, not throw picks, etc. He's accurate.

Look--I'm a Detroit fan but I'm being objective here. If there's one thing I've been open about on this board it is the areas in which Detroit sucks. Even ignoring the stats, Stafford has fantastic talent and, again, is one of the top QBs in the league.

Megatron clearly makes Stafford look better than he is, but he's still a damn good QB who could be on the verge of being an elite QB. In terms of Big Ben v Stafford, I don't see how anyone would not take Stafford over him today. He's younger, has a better arm, and would be potent behind that o line.

Canuck76

Banned
As a jilted WVU student I have to back up my man Bruce Irvin(maybe a little late)

At least seven teams had Bruce Irvin in top 15

And if anyone thinks his past is a problem:
West Virginia prospect Bruce Irvin ditches burglary, drug game for shot at NFL

Keep in mind we ran a 3-3-5 while he was here(finally going 4-3 this year!) So every play was 3 D-Lineman against 5 O-Lineman. He still managed 14.5 sacks in 2010, and 8.5 in 2011, impressive given that everyone started doubling him in 2011.

I actually think his "red flags" are waaaay overrated. Yes he did drop out of high school yes he's had problems. Dude also went back, got his GED and did the college thing. He knows he's being given a huge opportunity and i doubt this kid screws it up.

If anything I'm more worried about him not being able to play every down like Ingram or Couples could. He's fast and will get sacks but Frank Gore could probably steam roll him

hiryu

MATT RYAN
that deserved the blame.

Julio is a great player but when you suck you will take a potential franchise QB over a wide receiver any day. The Browns got multiple starters for one player. Good deal for both teams.

Plinko

This is also stupid, unless you don't think that teams covering CJ with deep safeties and brackets affects the ability of other guys to get open.

The fact that opposing defenses know that Detroit can't run at all cancels out this advantage.

Plinko

Megatron clearly makes Stafford look better than he is, but he's still a damn good QB who could be on the verge of being an elite QB. In terms of Big Ben v Stafford, I don't see how anyone would not take Stafford over him today. He's younger, has a better arm, and would be potent behind that o line.

If I knew Big Ben was going to get Detroit a Super Bowl I'd take Roethlisberger in a heartbeat.

eznark

Banned
I actually think his "red flags" are waaaay overrated. Yes he did drop out of high school yes he's had problems. Dude also went back, got his GED and did the college thing. He knows he's being given a huge opportunity and i doubt this kid screws it up

He JUST vandalized a car a month ago.

Maybe he does get it together and that's neat in a vacuum. However this draft is garbage with very few standouts. From 15-50 there is little difference. Being a jack-ass thug with a history of atrocious decision making is going to be a negative no matter how precious you pretend to be in the weeks leading up to the draft.

Julio is a great player but when you suck you will take a potential franchise QB over a wide receiver any day. The Browns got multiple starters for one player. Good deal for both teams.

The only reason I even made the joke was because they took Weeden. Maybe he works out for them, but at 28, he won't have much time. Love the Richardson pick however, though whether they actually needed to trade up, we may never know.

hiryu

What's the point? Yes we've had shit management who've decided to blow it up every 2-3 years. The only person on that list who got a raw deal is Couch. McCoy is a third round pick who just isn't very good. Dedication only takes you so far.

Top Bottom