• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

TheNatural

My Member!
Probably posted, but wow, this is fucking cold blooded:

Rutgers wide receiver Mohamed Sanu was the victim of a draft-night prank which led him to believe he was being taken in the first round by the Cincinnati Bengals.

Sanu received a phone call prior to Cincinnati making the 27th overall pick from someone identifying himself as a member of the Bengals, according to Sanu's agent, Mike McCartney.

Sanu and his draft party celebrated until everyone saw the name of guard Kevin Zeitler flash across the TV screen as the Bengals' selection.

"Everybody's going nuts in his home. He's like, 'I can't hear you, Mike, I'll call you soon," McCartney told The Star-Ledger on Friday. "His brother calls me and he's euphoric and going nuts. We're all kind of high-fiving over the phone. And I said, 'They're about to show it on ESPN. I'll call you later.'

"And then they show (Kevin) Zeitler," McCartney told the paper.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncf/sto...amed-sanu-rutgers-scarlet-knights-target-hoax

Oh Gawd, Phil Simms.....
My favorite Phil Simms moment

3pCfzl.jpg

Its a sad face

Sappy113

League doesn't work that way anymore. Horrible defenses in playoffs last year. As I said earlier, Rams D being terrible was in large part due to always being on the field.

People said I was nuts for over-reacting to shittiness last pre-season, but they showed what they really were. That said, while any hope of getting impact in passing game is gone, there is still enough to grab 1970s ground and pound types

You need an explosive offense to make up for a leaky run defense. No matter how R1 would've turned out for the Rams, they wouldn't have achieved upgrading the offense to that status in just one year, let alone one round. So, once Blackmon went off the board, it was pretty smart to look at big picture and at least TRY to ensure opposing teams won't get an automatic W by just running it down the middle all day long.

Besides which, as you yourself said, part of why that D was shitty was due to spending far too much time on the field. Won't remedy that unless you fix the run defense.

And I still believe, this early in the draft, it's a fairly large overstatement to say, that the Rams can't obtain a WR who will have an impact. I like Randle's combination of size, speed and hands. Again, unless using the first 3 picks on WRs is considered smart drafting on a team with multiple holes, I don't see how the Rams could totally overhaul the WR corps this off-season.

Bring in one of the top 5 ranked WRs, fix the run D (DT+OLB), plug in a starting LG and you at least have to believe the Rams are a hell of a lot better off than they were before. Not playoff bound, but with a foundation in place, that the Redskins trade will just build upon in the coming two years.

After that, with smart drafting, who knows.

Also :jnc at Rodgers "hyping up the guys" on the sideline.

The only thing Aaron Rodgers does on the sidelines is think about the next woman he's going to conquer.

Brinbe

After all this time, the crowds still look like shit. Its almost been ten years since 2K5 and they still can't beat them in that dept.

And of all the NFL commentators in the world at their disposal, they go with them? wtf...

Total control passing? Are they really trying to pass that off as new? FFS.

Really? You're going to try to use this as a metric when the Steelers' defense allowed the least yards AND points in the entire NFL?

They did a bang up job on stopping Tebow. IMO, the Steeler D has been relatively overrated ever since Fitz discovered you could torch them in the 4th of SB43. Ben pulled that game and the W out of his ass and he kept Arians on the payroll 3 years past his prime. Look how sloppy and awful the D was in 09, which, not so coincidentally was Ben's greatest in terms of passing yardage. In '10 they wallpapered over their deficiencies only to get exposed again in the SB. Last year they benefited from a weak schedule which is how they were able to put up good numbers despite their high amount of injuries.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Doomsayer

....AJ Jenkins?

I wasn't very excited at the time, I thought we should've went with Hill. Though looking at his combine results he and Hill are cut in a similar mold.

I trust Baalke but I feel like we could've traded down to the teens of the second round and still picked him.

Doomsayer said:
I trust Baalke but I feel like we could've traded down to the teens of the second round and still picked him.
Apparently not since the Rams were looking to pick him high in the second. If you trust your front office, then they made the right choice and got their guy.

All the GM speak is smoke right now, the draft is only one rd deep.

If a team gets their guy, who cares what they had to give. Nobody will know which teams wanted to trade up for a certain guy.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
Lulz of course they were. Of course!
That's kind of the point. It doesn't matter what you do or don't believe. If your GM got the guy he wanted, it's irrelevant where you or I deem his value. Whether that pick works out or not is what separates a good decision from a bad one.

Supposed "value" in this draft was so clustered together with very little consensus anyway.

Speaking of value, I have a feeling the Kiwi extension will mark the end of the Osi era in NY.

Nakazato

That's kind of the point. It doesn't matter what you do or don't believe. If your GM got the guy he wanted, it's irrelevant where you or I deem his value. Whether that pick works out or not is what separates a good decision from a bad one.

Supposed "value" in this draft was so clustered together with very little consensus anyway.

Speaking of value, I have a feeling the Kiwi extension will mark the end of the Osi era in NY.

yep

Doomsayer

I agree with you, which is one the reasons I'm just an armchair GM.

Jenkins was never heralded as a prospect though, which kind of makes me skeptical. Although he does have experience of catching over/under thrown balls so he will fit right in!

What I really like about him is that he ran a legit 4.4 (4.39) 40 and has natural hands. Something no one on this team has.

Man, Pittsburgh got a fucking steal picking DeCastro where they did. I was excited when he was falling but I knew Pitt was taking him.

Another head scratcher is Coples to the Jets? I don't know how I feel about that.

Bucs reached hard for Barron and Panthers taking Kuechly, does that mean that Beasons injury may not have healed correctly?

Nakazato

I agree with you, which is one the reasons I'm just an armchair GM.

Jenkins was never heralded as a prospect though, which kind of makes me skeptical. Although he does have experience of catching over/under thrown balls so he will fit right in!

What I really like about him is that he ran a legit 4.4 (4.39) 40 and has natural hands. Something no one on this team has.

Like I told FMT you got a 1# WR be happy. Trust me he will make you guys think twice about why you didnt trust the pick

vvvvvvvvvv

:JNC

Milchjon

Vince Wilfork can't be serious, right?

"He said, ‘How do you feel about being a New England Patriot?’ I said, ‘I don’t know where you’re at, but I’m ready,’ ” said Wilfork, finally taken at No. 21. “Then I got off the phone, and I asked my wife, ‘Where’s New England? Is that like, New London?’ We didn’t know.

“When we figured out it was Boston, that was great. I’m a Celtics fan. That was going to be huge. I grew up a Celtics fan."

mr2xxx

Banned
So whats worse having a learning disorder and doing horrible on the wonderlic or the attitude of not giving a fuck about it?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...giants-selection-of-running-back-david-wilson

Wilson will compete to be Bradshaw's backup. BACKUP! The Giants have huge holes at tight end and tackle and could have drafted a game-day ready player. Instead they drafted a running back, a position no one values in the NFL.

The Giants have always used two running backs equally throughout the game. Wilson is the second back, plus Wilson will be the 2nd back job over Ware any day of the week. Plus Bradshaw is very injury prone, whoever wrote that has no idea about the giants system.

yankeeforever2 said:
whoever wrote that has no idea about the giants system.
It's bleacherreport. You might as well listen to Skip Bayless for accurate information.

Instead they drafted a running back, a position no one values in the NFL.
:jnc Whether you agree with it or not, it's a funny statement considering three were taken in the first round this season.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ben. Stafford is a huge benefactor of Megatron's ability to get a ball.

And Ben is a huge benefactor of Date Rape and Mike Wallace.

Please stop with that bullshit. Staff threw for 1600 yards to Megatron, but what about the other 3400 yards?

Rapistberger threw for 4000 yards total and has some solid recievers and TE's himself and still only managed to throw 600 yards more.

Not to mention Stafford doubled Ben's TD total and threw almost the same amount of INTs.

Bucs fans! A nice little highlight reel for Doug Martin I got from Pewter Report. Sorry about the music, I didn't make the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_xBFrK9RRw

Usually when you watch a vid like this from a RB you get the benefit of the Madden view and see a bunch of times where a RB should have taken a play inside instead of out or vice versa. Very little of that from him. Great vision and instincts.

When does the next round start?

7 eastern

Striker

Love the Kiwanuka extension. Hopefully he is at DE full time now with the addition of Rivers at OLB, and he becomes the primary third DE. Also hints strongly at Osi departing. Reese, get a 2nd!

bionic77

They did a bang up job on stopping Tebow. IMO, the Steeler D has been relatively overrated ever since Fitz discovered you could torch them in the 4th of SB43. Ben pulled that game and the W out of his ass and he kept Arians on the payroll 3 years past his prime. Look how sloppy and awful the D was in 09, which, not so coincidentally was Ben's greatest in terms of passing yardage. In '10 they wallpapered over their deficiencies only to get exposed again in the SB. Last year they benefited from a weak schedule which is how they were able to put up good numbers despite their high amount of injuries.
I think injuries and old age were our downfall last year.

After the Texans manhandled us we were one of the best teams until Woodley, Ben and all the old mofos got hurt.

For whatever reason though LeBeau has always had problems with spread offenses. Not sure why. I think we don't have the personnel to cover multiple sets in open space. I was a little disappointed we didn't get a DB in the first. Hopefully we can find a gem in the later rounds because our D needs a lot of help.

Still optimistic about next year. Excited to see what we can do with a real OC and what Tomlin and LeBeau can do with what I assume will be a young D.

Top Bottom