• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

bionic77

is that tom brady or ben roethlisberger?
What a dumb question.

That is Ben Ben flopping from what looks to be a straight right hand. If Seymour had punched Tom it would have ended Tammy's career instantly and they would have executed Seymour on the field.

By the way it is going to be nice seeing it all fall apart for the Niners next year!

Draxal

So apparently Ted McGinn is the one person who is down on this draft class (I'm leaning to his boat but I hate everything). In his write up he says that the defensive players "aren't sure things like Clay Matthews."

Forgive me if I am misremembering, but was there anyone on the planet who called Matthews a sure fire star? That is not at all how I remember it. He was a high motor guy who potentially lacked the polish to contribute. That's the scouting report I seem to recall.

I don't think Clay started at USC at all until his senior year. I think thes starting three most of the time were Cushing, Rivers, and Maualuga. So it was kinda hard to determine, his true value during that era.

Wes

venison crêpe
How did all of you guys become fans of your team? Location? Certain Player on the team? Enjoy scatism? Follow Satanism?

Being from another country, I had a pretty free choice who to pick. However due to the links with Aston Villa/Lerner I chose the Browns.

I know a lot of people find it amusing, I could have chosen any team, perhaps one that was much more successful, and I would have a better experience following the NFL. I have to say I entirely disagree.

In soccer, the reason why league and cup progressions are so great is because there is the constant threat of relegation - something that doesn't exist in North American sports as far as I'm aware. If you're one of the worst teams, you'll get dropped down to play in a worse league. Simple.

I know a majority of Browns fans from other forums complain they haven't had success for years and years, and they are perfectly entitled to that. But they don't have to worry about their club disappearing in to oblivion - something I'm all too familiar with as an Aston Villa fan.

I guess I'm trying to say, I enjoy the bad times as much as the good because it makes those good times, should they ever come to fruition, all that more enjoyable.

The reason we were in so much base 3-4 last year is because we were thin at DB...which we still are.

It'll be interesting to see if either MD Jennings or Davon House make the team and if so their contribution level.

Also if Sam Shields learned how to fucking tackle in the off-season.

bionic77

The whole team forgot how to tackle last year unfortunately.
Maybe they just got old.

The current Steelers D has been together for awhile and missed tackles were a rarity until last year. I chalked it up to getting old as fuck. Same reason they all got injured in December.

I think the Packers will actually go to a base psycho, basically.
The Packers hired Greg Williams?

I thought he was suspended or something?

Sanjuro

Maybe they just got old.

The current Steelers D has been together for awhile and missed tackles were a rarity until last year. I chalked it up to getting old as fuck. Same reason they all got injured in December.

The Packers hired Greg Williams?

I thought he was suspended or something?

Greg Williams is basically banished from the NFL, for good. UFL or bust.

Milchjon

So, what's the next thing to look forward to after the draft? OTAs? Training Camp? When does it all start?
Still such a long wait, dammit!

I think the Packers will actually go to a base psycho, basically.
No matter how unrealistic, this would be fun to watch. (the blitzes!)

McCarthy's smoke and mirrors "we're going to play more base!" comments from before the draft aside, I interpret the first couple picks as basically a formal admission that we're "base" 2-4-5. Perry seems to be a great fit for the 2-4 OLB spot, and Worthy is a solid 3 technique for one of the two d-line spots. I'm not sure what we'll do in run-stopping situations, apart from hopefully take out Raji because he sucks, but our base run defense last year was somehow even worse than our nickel. Some of that is because AJ Hawk is pretty bad pass coverage ILB and playing with only 2 down linemen lets him play to his strength(s?), e.g. run support.

Maybe we'll do something new and different like a 2-5-4 with Woodson in the box as a safety. Do it, Dom!

Even with the dudes we drafted I'm not sure about our DBs, not that that's different from every other year. Based on the current pattern ('09 = terrible. '10 = good. '11 = terrible), I can only hope and assume that the Packers secondary in '12 will be the GOAT.

Fox318

He will go to college, the NCAA doesnt give a fuck about what happens in the NFL. Saban and Petrino were welcomed back with open arms.

No athletic director aside from some crazy southern school would take Williams. No parent is gonna want to let their kid go to some bounty school.

eznark

Banned
No matter how unrealistic, this would be fun to watch. (the blitzes!)

McCarthy's smoke and mirrors "we're going to play more base!" comments from before the draft aside, I interpret the first couple picks as basically a formal admission that we're "base" 2-4-5. Perry seems to be a great fit for the 2-4 OLB spot, and Worthy is a solid 3 technique for one of the two d-line spots. I'm not sure what we'll do in run-stopping situations, apart from hopefully take out Raji because he sucks, but our base run defense last year was somehow even worse than our nickel. Some of that is because AJ Hawk is pretty bad pass coverage ILB and playing with only 2 down linemen lets him play to his strength(s?), e.g. run support.

Maybe we'll do something new and different like a 2-5-4 with Woodson in the box as a safety. Do it, Dom!

Even with the dudes we drafted I'm not sure about our DBs, not that that's different from every other year. Based on the current pattern ('09 = terrible. '10 = good. '11 = terrible), I can only hope and assume that the Packers secondary in '12 will be the GOAT.

Yeah, we drafted (and signed Walden) a lot of LB depth which makes me think they want to do more of the 2-5-4/1-5-5 stuff but we just don't have the d-backs to pull it off right now. McMillan will never see the field on a defensive play. Manning is going to be a great LB/SS option in those packages though.

Should be interesting. The Packers focused on speed and tackling in this draft (every guy they picked they rated as excellent tacklers for their position) so Capers will be able to run wild.

verbum

So, what's the next thing to look forward to after the draft? OTAs? Training Camp? When does it all start?
Still such a long wait, dammit!

OTA's are mainly evaluation and development for players. Not all the players have to be there.
Minicamp in May for 3 days. Mainly new players.
New players to the NFL attend seminars and lectures organized by the NFL from mid-June to mid-July.
Then training camp in middle July with lots of info from various sources.
First preseason game August 5.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The good news Packer fans is that if we can become an elite pass rushing team, our secondary can be mediocre for all I care because that won't matter nearly as much.

I'd like to see Woodson on a safety blitz occasionally! (if they move him)

The good news Packer fans is that if we can become an elite pass rushing team, our secondary can be mediocre for all I care because that won't matter nearly as much.

I'd like to see Woodson on a safety blitz occasionally! (if they move him)

Secondary is the tops in the league, sir. Can't cover forever.

Hopefully they remember how to tackle this season though and Tramon doesn't dislocate his shoulder again.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Secondary is the tops in the league, sir. Can't cover forever.

Hopefully they remember how to tackle this season though and Tramon doesn't dislocate his shoulder again.

Yeah I'm remembering all those times their QB either had or felt like he had 10+ seconds to make a throw.

Now I'm sad

:larry

Top Bottom