• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Curious to see what they paid him coming off of the ACL. Goff was solid in run support. Smart guy but never had a very high ceiling. The best you could ask from him was "solid" and he was a bit of a liability in coverage.

Too bad we couldn't retain him. Good depth at least, but I doubt he would have come back to a starting job.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
1-2 2 8-8 4 H-O-F

Already in.

OgJVH.jpg

I feel a lot better about the niners' draft now...13 picks next year.

The 49ers had the 29th pick in the round, the 92nd pick overall. They liked a guard from Wake Forest named Joe Looney. Baalke knew the Niners liked Looney better than a lot of teams. He knew he might be able to get Looney in the fourth round. Might. No guarantees. And if he lost him, Baalke felt fine going with the next man on the board. So when the Colts called looking for a late-third-round pick, Baalke traded 92 to the Colts for the 97th pick and Indy's fifth-round pick in 2013.
On Saturday, at the start of round four, Baalke still thought he could wait for Looney. He dealt 97 to Miami for the Dolphins' fourth-round pick, 103 overall, plus the 196th pick and a sixth-round pick in 2013. At 103, Looney was still there. San Francisco was picking 125th. Dare Baalke wait? Carolina came calling for the 103rd pick, and Baalke dealt that pick for the 180th in this draft and a third-round pick in 2013.
Tick. Tick. Tick. No guards went from 103 to 111, and Chicago was a candidate, but the Bears passed on the line, as did Arizona at 112, and now Baalke was pressing the outer limits, and he picked up the phone and made a deal with Detroit, trading up eight spots from 125 to 117 and throwing in the Miami pick acquired an hour earlier (196) in order to draft Looney ... 25 picks after the Niners were going to take him at 92.
So at the end of the dealing, the Niners got their man. And they got this:
• The 180th pick in 2012 -- Michigan State free safety Trenton Robinson.
• Carolina's third-round pick in 2013.
• Indianapolis' fifth-round pick in 2013.
• Miami's sixth-round pick in 2013.
Along with a seventh-round pick in 2013 from Cincinnati in the Taylor Mays trade, and likely compensatory picks for losing guard Adam Snyder and wide receiver Josh Morgan in free agency, San Francisco now sits with a projected 13 picks in the 2013 draft, the most of any team in the league.
"I'd be lying to suggest building up that many picks was our intention at the start of it,'' Baalke told me Saturday night. "But we were able to turn the pick over three times and get our guy, plus five picks [four, after the deal with Detroit]. So it worked out. We're not trying to win in the court of public opinion, or win in the media. We're trying to win games over the long haul and build a team for sustained success.''

SonnyBoy

Oh, wow. Didn't know Redskins drafted Cousins.

I guess the field office were really interested in Gruden's QB camp analysis on the guy.

I see it like this, everyone is acting like 4 round picks are never-miss, purely gold selections and should never be used on backups.... Why did Cousins last to the 4th round? Because he's a backup.

That's what the Redskins got, a backup QB. They drafted BPA and solidified it's WEAKEST position of the past 20 years with DEPTH (another thing this franchise has been missing).

I'm just glad that Mike doesn't select his players based off of fan/media reaction.

Slo

Fuck yeah, one of my buddies went back home to Madison this weekend and brought me back a 12 pack of New Glarus. Samplin' bitches. Spotted Cow. Fat Squirrel.

I see it like this, everyone is acting like 4 round picks are never-miss, purely gold selections and should never be used on backups.... Why did Cousins last to the 4th round? Because he's a backup.

That's what the Redskins got, a backup QB. They drafted BPA and solidified it's WEAKEST position of the past 20 years with DEPTH (another thing this franchise has been missing).

I'm just glad that Mike doesn't select his players based off of fan/media reaction.

The reason people thought it was a bad pick was because the Skins have so many other holes and they already drafted a QB. Young QBs need a lot of work and it is going to be hard to make sure each guy gets enough reps. Teams that bring in young QBs to start always have a veteran backup partialy for this reason, also to help mentor the young guy.

SonnyBoy

The reason people thought it was a bad pick was because the Skins have so many other holes and they already drafted a QB.

But those wholes were addressed. And only one of those deficiences could be addressed with that pick. The following positions were addressed during the draft and even more with UDFA.

OL - draft, UDFA and returning rookies from 2011 that got extensive playing time due to injury.
Safety - 2 safeties during FA, one during the draft and more via UDFA.
DB - 1 during FA, 1 during the draft.
ILB - 1 during FA, 1 during the draft.

So, it's simply not true that positions of need weren't addressed.

Young QBs need a lot of work and it is going to be hard to make sure each guy gets enough reps. Teams that bring in young QBs to start always have a veteran backup partialy for this reason, also to help mentor the young guy.

We have a vet, and that's Rex. Rex is the backup, end of story. Cousins will learn behind RGIII, he'll prolly be on the scout team. But for 2013+, he'll back the 2nd string guy. Rex could still be onboard but as the third string guy.

My boys take a lot of flak and deservingly so. They've been raked over the coals for a lack of continuity, preparation, depth, etc. etc. So, they make a great value pick, get the BPA and SOLIDY a position and they're still wrong?

And since when did the backup QB not become a position of need?

maybe the redskins can get a 2nd and the cards top corner in 3-4 years after Cousins passes for 300 yards in a game

In this QB starved league, someone like the Browns could bite on something like this. If RGIII missed a game or two and Cousins looks good. Why not move him for a 2nd or 3rd, recoup some of what was lost during the RGIII trade...

And even if that doesn't happen, at the end of the day, we have a long-term viable option at the backup position.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Checking out the tape on Kellen Moore. I really think Buffalo is going to kick themselves for not picking him up.

It wouldn't cost them a single thing, really.

jakncoke

Banned
Yeah he's going to be on a lot of practice squads meanwhile in Idaho atop of their cows the populous will be shouting BUT HE HAS 50 COLLEGE WINS WHY YOU NO GIVE HIM YOU BIG BULLIES!!!!!

Have to say I'm very pleased with the Cardinals draft, especially when we didn't even have a second rounder.

Floyd is going to become a complete beast and how many teams have two CB's with the size to guard both Fitz and Floyd who are the same size (6'3, 220 lbs)? Our WR core is going to be awesome and ultimately the best in the league and that's going to make life a lot easier for our QB's which is important when you don't have an elite prospect. Throw in Housler at TE and we'll be a match up nightmare. If Beanie builds on his best season and Ryan Williams comes back strong from his injury, we're going to have a very prolific offense even if we get mediocre QB play.

Fleming sounds like the perfect CB for Horton's system, very physical and he is great on ST. Bethel sounds like he will convert to safety and is an athletic freak, another great ST player who blocked kicks 9 times in college. CC had 3 FG blocks last season so put these two together and we'll completely shutdown the Niners only means of scoring!

Three rounds spent on OL at long last! Massie in the 4th could end up one of the top 3 steals in the entire draft! He should become the starter at RT for us and hopefully will prove himself by the start of the season. I'm thinking and hoping the reason he fell that far is that he is strictly a RT and came out early. Most teams prefer to go LT in earlier rounds. Kelemete looks like a very solid guard prospect that can backup either side and I expect him to ultimately replace Snyder when we hit the steeper end of his contract in a few seasons or sooner if Snyder doesn't perform. Potter looks like a nice LT project that we can develop over the next few years to eventually replace Brown or provide really solid depth. It will be a true test for Grimm and reveal whether he's a bad coach, or if it was more of a lack of talent. I think this is the most I've been interested in someone drafted in the 7th round.

Lindley was a surprise, didn't expect a QB project. He seems to have similar physical qualities and skill attributes to Skelton which is odd, you'd think they'd want a different skill set. I guess they can groom them both and see who pans out and maybe pull a NE QB farm trade out in the end. Worst case, should make a better QB3 than Bartel. Largely indifferent to this pick but the rest were great.

So, grabbed plenty of youth to plug into the OL with one most likely being an immediate starter addressing our greatest need. Addressed the #2 WR which was our second greatest need and really feel we received a top talent prospect for it. Shored up our CB group so we can weed out the weak links and have some nice depth and competition. This was a smaller need but still a need all the same as we had no legit #2 last year with Toler out to injury and who knows if he'll stay healthy this year or not? Hopefully Bethel pans out at SS as we need to start grooming someone to replace Wilson down the line. Both DB's are also great ST. Our FB Sherman from last year's draft was the top ST prospect in the draft, really feels like we're building a great ST group around PP after the propensity he displayed at punt returns.

Think we did a damn good job at addressing needs with BPA approach.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Might? lol. Kellen Moore will be cut by six teams in the next two years.

Again, I'm not too familiar with a lot of the college guys, but he seems to have a great read ability and a hell of an accurate ball. Coupled with his track record, I think he rates a shot in the NFL.

eznark

Banned
Sushi is in the god tier of food. I bet Eznark hates sushi.

I love sushi. I had a roommate who used to roll his own and we'd have big ass sushi parties. Women love that.

You really think there are six teams that are even going to give him a call?

Absolutely. It costs nothing to bring in an athletic guy and give him a shot. With talk of significantly expanded practice squads I'd want him on there to run offenses. I bet he gives great effort.

Bowser

Have to say I'm very pleased with the Cardinals draft, especially when we didn't even have a second rounder.

Floyd is going to become a complete beast and how many teams have two CB's with the size to guard both Fitz and Floyd who are the same size (6'3, 220 lbs)? Our WR core is going to be awesome and ultimately the best in the league and that's going to make life a lot easier for our QB's which is important when you don't have an elite prospect. Throw in Housler at TE and we'll be a match up nightmare. If Beanie builds on his best season and Ryan Williams comes back strong from his injury, we're going to have a very prolific offense even if we get mediocre QB play.

No. 13 – Arizona Cardinals – Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

Another team blinded by a Shiny Hood Ornament that it failed to see its true problem: a front unit that ranked No. 31 on our Offensive Hog Index and No. 31 at protecting the passer, allowing a Negative Pass Play on 12.75 percent of dropbacks. Floyd owns almost every Notre Dame receiving mark. But who cares? Kevin Kolb is not a legit No. 1 QB and even if he was, you can’t get the ball to your big-name receivers with DEs spitting in your grill all day. Classic wasted pick.

Grade: F-

Sorry bro: http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Ar...l:_Cold,_Hard_grades_from_the_2012_draft.html

jakncoke

Banned
I love sushi. I had a roommate who used to roll his own and we'd have big ass sushi parties. Women love that.

Absolutely. It costs nothing to bring in an athletic guy and give him a shot. With talk of significantly expanded practice squads I'd want him on there to run offenses. I bet he gives great effort.

thats a stretch with him, no. If he was he'd be drafted

eznark

Banned
I don't mean he is fast (he's not terrible slow) just that he can move around in the pocket.

Again, I'm not too familiar with a lot of the college guys, but he seems to have a great read ability and a hell of an accurate ball. Coupled with his track record, I think he rates a shot in the NFL.

He is fragile and has a weaker arm than Chad Pennington. Accuracy in the Mountain West? LOL, who gives a fuck?

No. 23 – Detroit Lions – Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
The Lions have now drafted building-block offensive or defensive lineman No. 1 in four of the past drive drafts. The big problem here? Detroit needs help on its highly overrated defensive line. They were gashed for 5.0 YPA in 2011 and ranked just 23rd in scoring D. A classic case of misplaced priorities.

Grade: C-

Someone should ask Meyhew if a QB was on top of their BPA list at #23, would they have taken him

Top Bottom