• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

LJ11 said:
Stacked pass rushing class next year, stacked DL talent across the board.
Reese and Ross during the 2013 draft:

tumblr_ktc4ap4VLT1qas51uo1_400.png

I will trust your opinion and buy the seazin pass.

I didnt buy the season pass either for the same reason. Didnt know what to expect and I was pissed Jurassic Park turned out so badly.

I'd buy it individually or try the demo first just in case, but it's definitely no Jurassic Park. I think it'll just cost an extra 5 if you buy them separately, right?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I go to every Steelers home game. I'm Born, raised, still living in the Steel City. Does that qualify me for this picture?
No. Only talking copious amounts of shit in this thread can qualify you for that picture.

Or being an outspoken lifelonger.
Future Roethlisberger backup. I like it.
I'm not even sure that guy is coming to the Steelers. BTSC may have jumped the gun on that one and I fell for it. Sorry.

I think the whole Irvin thing is bullshit and they're just trying to placate enraged fans. Oh, the Packers wanted him? Jets would have taken him right after our pick? He must be good after all! Great job FO!

bionic77

Huh, Peter King picked Trent Baalke and Buddy Nix as the two best GMs during the week? Fancy that. I hope he's right.
How much draft analysis ends up being correct?

Like 25%?

It is a crapshoot most of the time. The scouts and the "analysts" use the same language and often seem to be reading from the same script. The people who actually know anything are paid to find those players for the NFL and they don't usually blog about it on ESPN.

Gigglepoo

It is a crapshoot most of the time. The scouts and the "analysts" use the same language and often seem to be reading from the same script. The people who actually know anything are paid to find those players for the NFL and they don't usually blog about it on ESPN.

Peter King's "award" was based on filling needs and using picks smartly. The Niners did both of those, by drafting players in positions that were weaknesses last year and trading picks to get more picks, without sacrificing the present. Everyone knows (and King admits) that grading drafts is a crapshoot, but you can still have a "good" draft even before there are on-field results.

LJ11

Huh, Peter King picked Trent Baalke and Buddy Nix as the two best GMs during the week? Fancy that. I hope he's right.

Buddy Nix had the best quotes, I'm sure that much is true. Some hardcore fan needs to create a page with his one liners, dude is pretty funny.

Edit: Why did you pick Bradham? "This guys looks like Tarzan, he's all cut up."

Fox318

Sanchize is gonna take Tebow's virginity and he will never be the same again!

BTW, kinda odd that you're a Jets fan living in NC and I'm a Panthers fan living in NYC. It's like Freaky Friday or something!

I was visiting NC. I don't live there.

Bowser

Didnt everyone have Barron higher? I dont see them getting to pissed about that.

Well at the presser Thursday night Hurney was saying that Keek was #1 on their board (I know, every GM says that, but it certainly seemed true as the Panthers turned the pick in in about 20 seconds). This would kind of fly in the face of that. Also, Hurney is one of those paranoid freaks who hates leaks from unnamed sources. Now he's got a guy who's publicly saying something that directly contradicts what he said at the presser.

edit: not to mention it's basically telling Keek he wasn't the guy the team really wanted

Why is the media so hung up on this Cousins pick? Was it probably a dumb decision? Yeah. But people act like it's creating a "QB controversy"? LOL RG3 is the future. Cousins is just a potential back up who they are hoping to parlay into future value.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why is the media so hung up on this Cousins pick? Was it probably a dumb decision? Yeah. But people act like it's creating a "QB controversy"? LOL RG3 is the future. Cousins is just a potential back up who they are hoping to parlay into future value.

It was definitely a horrendous pick. Teams that take QBs in the mid rounds hoping to parlay them for value are the good teams, the ones who can afford to take on a new project like that. Not bad teams that need all the help they can get. But yeah you can't expect that much from certain members of the media.

Fox318

But what if Cousins is insanely good in pre-season and RG3 sucks?

They should have drafted a WR or OLineman.

This could happen again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJiokzt9Dco

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

I feel it's 2 things:
1. It's a high enough of a pick, that the Redskins could have gotten any other player to fill a need, besides QB, which was already filled @ #2.
2. Kirk Cousin's is screwed by being on a team he has no chance to compete for. Instead of being on a different roster, working his way to Backup or even potential starter, he's stuck behind another 1st year QB, a high draft pick at that. It will never get better for him, barring a massive injury to RG3.

Bowser

Not only is it stupid, it's a wasted pick. Let's not forget the Skins don't have #1 picks for the next two years and it's not like they're stocked to the brim with talent. They should've taken someone that could have potentially helped them THIS year.

Not only is it stupid, it's a wasted pick. Let's not forget the Skins don't have #1 picks for the next two years and it's not like they're stocked to the brim with talent. They should've taken someone that could have potentially helped them THIS year.

I don't disagree, I didn't like the pick. I just hate the idea that it creates a "controversy". RGIII is the man in DC. It will be his job to lose and I doubt the Cousins pick will mess with his head or hurt his development.

Bowser

I don't disagree, I didn't like the pick. I just hate the idea that it creates a "controversy". RGIII is the man in DC. It will be his job to lose and I doubt the Cousins pick will mess with his head or hurt his development.

Oh yeah, I agree with that. I forget who it was on ESPN that said "you've effectively created a QB controversy!" (Dilfer?) That's idiotic. RGIII will be given every chance to succeed - only way Cousins sees the field is if RGIII gets injured.

SonnyBoy

Here's what I posted a couple of pages back....

But those wholes were addressed. And only one of those deficiences could be addressed with that pick. The following positions were addressed during the draft and even more with UDFA.

OL - draft, UDFA and returning rookies from 2011 that got extensive playing time due to injury.
Safety - 2 safeties during FA, one during the draft and more via UDFA.
DB - 1 during FA, 1 during the draft.
ILB - 1 during FA, 1 during the draft.

So, it's simply not true that positions of need weren't addressed.

We have a vet, and that's Rex. Rex is the backup, end of story. Cousins will learn behind RGIII, he'll prolly be on the scout team. But for 2013+, he'll back the 2nd string guy. Rex could still be onboard but as the third string guy.

My boys take a lot of flak and deservingly so. They've been raked over the coals for a lack of continuity, preparation, depth, etc. etc. So, they make a great value pick, get the BPA and SOLIDY a position and they're still wrong?

And since when did the backup QB not become a position of need?

In this QB starved league, someone like the Browns could bite on something like this. If RGIII missed a game or two and Cousins looks good. Why not move him for a 2nd or 3rd, recoup some of what was lost during the RGIII trade...

And even if that doesn't happen, at the end of the day, we have a long-term viable option at the backup position.

Cousins is a viable backup first and foremost. If he garners value later on, so be it. Anyone who is saying that we didn't address positions of needed don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Just like I said above, when has a backup QB not been a position of need? Ask the Colts. Ask the Texans. Ask Philly. Ask the Lions.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Of course RG3 is the man in this situation. The only way he isn't the starter is upon a gruesome injury (or worse) or he kills someone. There is nothing on the field, that will cause a demotion. Even 0-16.

Bowser

Cousins is a viable backup first and foremost. If he garners value later on, so be it. Anyone who is saying that we didn't address positions of needed don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Just like I said above, when has a backup QB not been a position of need? Ask the Colts. Ask the Texans. Ask Philly. Ask the Lions.

I find it hard to believe that a rookie Kirk Cousins is a more viable backup than a veteran Rex Grossman. I know that Grossman isn't the greatest QB out there, but at this point in time he is better than Cousins.

SonnyBoy

I guess having more picks than 21 other teams is really limitting yourself! Only the Brown stains (11), Bungles (10), Indy (10), Yikes (10), Lams (10) and CHawks (10) had more than the Skins NINE picks. Four other teams had nine picks, but the 21 other NFL teams had less.

Next year we have 7, that is until Shanny and Bruce turn those 7 into 9 or 10!

People act like we gave up 3 or 4 picks each year for the next few years, when in reality we gave up one pick this year (the 2nd - we swapped 1st), one pick in 2013 and one in 2014.

Shanny and BA have drafted 27 players over the past three drafted with SEVEN of those players being OL and three first rounders,

The FOUR drafts prior to those three had 27 players drafted with only TWO OL and two first rounders.

Shanallenhan have drafted seven OL in three drafts... You have to go back ten drafts prior to MS and BA arriving to get to eight OL drafted. In fact it was only five in nine drafts between 2001 through 2009.

SonnyBoy

I find it hard to believe that a rookie Kirk Cousins is a more viable backup than a veteran Rex Grossman. I know that Grossman isn't the greatest QB out there, but at this point in time he is better than Cousins.

At this time? Yes. But this is the thing called "the future" and they are preparing for it. Is that such a bad thing?

Look at the FA, draft and UDFA's, all positions of "need" have been addressed thoroughly.

At this time? Yes. But this is the thing called "the future" and they are preparing for it. Is that such a bad thing?

Look at the FA, draft and UDFA's, all positions of "need" have been addressed thoroughly.

You cant seriously believe this. Every team still has needs, hell I bet the Giants are still trying to add players. No way have the Redskins thoroughly addressed all of their needs after this 1 off-season.

Bowser

I think picking another QB up would have been more defensible if it was someone who could emulate RGIII's talents. But you pick that kind of guy up in the 6th or 7th round, not at the top of the 4th. The pick just smells like the Skins saw Cousins there at the top of the 4th and were like "hey, we MIGHT be able to peddle this guy off in the future for something better than a 4th round pick!" which probably shouldn't be the way a team drafts.

Here's the fat man interview with Reese:

Francessa interview with Reese

Mentions a few interesting things despite the softy interview. He didn't feel there were any "elite" pass rushers in this draft but there were guys bunched together that he feels will be very good. Goes over the Martin over Wilson speculation, etc. Don't buy the Wilson pick not being a need. I don't doubt he was the second ranked back but there was definitely some need in there.

SonnyBoy

You cant seriously believe this. Every team still has needs, hell I bet the Giants are still trying to add players. No way have the Redskins thoroughly addressed all of their needs after this 1 off-season.

In one off-season? No. They drafted 12 people last year. 11 got playing time. 3 were offensive linemen.

QB - overhauledHB
FB - solidified last year
HB - solidified last year, another back brought in this year. Hightower may be resigned.
WR - addressed this year with Garcon, and Morgan. Hankerson was a steal in the draft last year. UDFA's brought on board this year.
TE - cooley + davis
OL - heavily addressed the past 3 drafts. 7 altogether + FA signings.

DL - heavily addressed in last years FA market, plus a great player that was lost during preseason.
LB - ILB was the glaring need. It was addressed with a good draft pick this year. We JUST signed the Giants previous MLB via FA today.
CB - addressed in this draft
Safety - addressed in the draft and FA (3 signings I think)
K - addressed via FA

So yes, this FO has touched glaring needs for this year and have been slowly building up a respectable team. They were one of the oldest teams in the NFL 2 years ago, now they're one of the youngest.

I'm not saying they're done and finished with fullfilling needs but that the idea that they FAILED to address needs by drafting Cousins is fucking retarded. They have/had many needs and that one damn pick wasn't going to fill all of them. They got a value pick AND still addressed needs.

Top Bottom