• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Dat dog!

exarkun

is squicken on the Texans image as a joke? Is he not still party of TEAM RAMS! ?

I got to catch up on the thread, I didn't think the Irvin thing was that weird. He set all the benchmarks at the combine in all the speed drills and cone drills. Had a decent bench and great lateral/jumo movement. When I saw that I was like "ruh-roh, someone is gonna reach for this kid" but I didnt think it would be top 20 kind of reach.

When he was drafted, none of the commentators talked about his workouts. They were like "word? dat shit cray".

SonnyBoy

If he is a competitor he must care. [hyperbole]He is in the worst situation any rookie QB could be in.[/hyperbole]

Fixed that for you. He's in the same situation that many rookie QB's are in, every year. He has the same options as those QB's, improve where you can, make the most of your opportunities and help your team win. When your time for FA comes up, you'll be rewarded for your hard work.

If he was that damn good, he wouldn't have fell to the 4th round. He was projected to go earlier.

As a competitor, he should care. The 7th round QB that the Colts picked, as a competitor he SHOULD care. You're not saying anything special and/or unique to this situation. If you draft any player in any round that doesn't care that he isn't starting and isn't striving to beat the next man out, you've failed.

Colasante

I don't know how the Redskins think they're going to be able to flip Cousins for a 2 in a couple years. He's the 3rd stringer. RG3 needs to learn the offense so he'll be getting nearly all of the practice reps and play time and if he struggles, RG1 will come in. And it's not a Flynn under Rodgers or Cassel under Brady situation where he can learn from a vet since RG3 knows the offense just as well as he does. The whole Cousins choice just doesn't make any sense.

Man you are really fired up about this. I dont ever remember a team taking 2 highly touted QBs in the same draft before. Kirk could play great in preseason do everything right on and off the field and it wont matter one bit. RGIII is the QB no doubt. His only hope for playing is hoping the other guy gets hurt, that has to suck for him.

SonnyBoy

I don't know how the Redskins think they're going to be able to flip Cousins for a 2 in a couple years. He's the 3rd stringer. RG3 needs to learn the offense so he'll be getting nearly all of the practice reps and play time and if he struggles, RG1 will come in. And it's not a Flynn under Rodgers or Cassel under Brady situation where he can learn from a vet since RG3 knows the offense just as well as he does. The whole Cousins choice just doesn't make any sense.

If you're looking at it from the perspective of them choosing him solely to flip him, then yeah it doesn't make sense. But that assumption is not rooted in any sort of concrete evidence. Is it a possibility, of course it is. Any/every player could be used as traid bait.

If you look at it from the standpoint of drafting the BPA and solidifying the backup QB position for years to come, then it isn't that abstract.

So we have two trains of thought, the HC who said we drafted for depth. And Mort who is speculating. One is factual, one is not. Very simple.

SonnyBoy

Man you are really fired up about this.

There's tons of factual reasons to dump on my team. LMAO Those don't bother me. Spu

I dont ever remember a team taking 2 highly touted QBs in the same draft before.

I think you're right. So the Redskins happen to have two capable rookies, I can't be upset at that as a fan. It's funny how Cousins is "highly-touted" when discussing how dumb this acquisition is. But he's "medicore" when discussing the possibility of what he'll be worth down the line. LOL

Kirk could play great in preseason do everything right on and off the field and it wont matter one bit.

Immediately? No. But if he is consistent, someone will lineup and snatch him up via FA or trade. If he was THAT great, he would have been picked up by a QB needy team... No?

RGIII is the QB no doubt. His only hope for playing is hoping the other guy gets hurt, that has to suck for him.

And for any/every other backup QB out there. His situation is not unique.

Why are you still talking about mort?

Out of everything I've stated, that's your main issue? Substitute "PersonX" for Mort if it'll make it better for you.

Colasante

I guess if Shanahan is telling the truth and it really was for the depth, it's not the worst idea. It's not terrible if the line of thinking is "RG3 is a running QB- he'll definitely miss time and maybe a game at some point. We don't want a Vince Young or Kafka filling in for him- we want a young, good, cheap option when the backup is forced to play. And if we are able to get trade value for him later, even better."

If that's the case, it's a bit of forward thinking that's rather smart. My only question is whether it was worth it to take Cousins quite that high, but I don't know enough about whether the Redskins roster still has gaping holes it needs to fill, so I can't say anything on that.

SonnyBoy

I am not dumping on the Skins. If they really feel they are set at every position then good for them. I was only replying to Buckethead saying Kirk wont mind rotting behind RGIII.

I wouldn't that say that anyone feels that they're set. But considering the circumstances, they've made an effort to address every position of need. To what degree and to what level of effectiveness is entirely debatable and yet to be seen. LOL But they have addressed them.

I guess as a Redskin fan, who saw them NOT DRAFT AN OFFENSIVE LINEMEN FOR 6+ YEARS, having them draft 6 in the past 2 drafts skews my objectivity. They're trying, which is a far cry from what they've done pre-Shanahan.

Cousins most likely isn't the happiest person in the world. That I agree with. I also realize that, it may hamper him but at the end of the day, he's only screwing himself. If he thinks that highly of himself, then he needs to question why he fell down the board. If he's hungry and competitive, then I hope he tries to best RGIII because it'll make him a better player. It'll make him better for when he may have to stand in for RGIII and it'll benefit him when it's time for him to get paid by whomever.

SonnyBoy

My only question is whether it was worth it to take Cousins quite that high

The thing is, he was projected to go higher, so they got him at value. They didn't reach for him, he fell to them.

but I don't know enough about whether the Redskins roster still has gaping holes it needs to fill, so I can't say anything on that.

Gaping? I wouldn't say gaping. But they also aren't a superbowl contender. It's a process, they are rebuilding. So they've worked to plug a few holes, that'll properly addressed this year via FA or next off-season. There was no way, regardless of this pick that every single deficiency on this team could be addressed adequately. That goes for any team.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I think you're right. So the Redskins happen to have two capable rookies, I can't be upset at that as a fan. It's funny how Cousins is "highly-touted" when discussing how dumb this acquisition is. But he's "medicore" when discussing the possibility of what he'll be worth down the line. LOL
Exactly lol. Since when is a 4th round anything "highly-touted"? With him still being on the board at the point he was taken, he wasnt being penciled in as the starter for any of the other 31 teams anytime soon either.

People seriously need to get off of this.

Exactly lol. Since when is a 4th round anything "highly-touted"? With him still being on the board at the point he was taken, he wasnt being penciled in as the starter for any of the other 31 teams anytime soon either.

People seriously need to get off of this.

He ws highly touted in that he started for a major college, he had a great senior bowl and there were people saying he might be the 4th best QB in the draft. Once you get past the 1st or 2nd round everyone has some issues, but for a later round QB it seemed like a lot of people felt Kirk had a shot to develop into an NFL QB in the right situation.

SonnyBoy

He ws highly touted in that he started for a major college, he had a great senior bowl and there were people saying he might be the 4th best QB in the draft. Once you get past the 1st or 2nd round everyone has some issues, but for a later round QB it seemed like a lot of people felt Kirk had a shot to develop into an NFL QB in the right situation.

So I ask you, why did he fall to the 4th round?

This is a QB starved league. A league that overpays for Kolbs and Flynns... If he was that damn good, why didn't anyone snatch him up to coach up for a possible mid-season insertion?

I think it just unfathomable for the Redskins to do anything that's remotely considered to be "forward thinking". It's screwing with peoples minds, and with this being the Redskins, it has to be wrong.

Truth be told, I can understand. LMAO

So I ask you, why did he fall to the 4th round?

This is a QB starved league. A league that overpays for Kolbs and Flynns... If he was that damn good, why didn't anyone snatch him up to coach up for a possible mid-season insertion?

I have no idea why some guys fall and others dont. Maybe he scored to low on the wonderlick, or he was a inch to short, or teams are worried about his arm strength. Maybe he had some character issue we never heard about.

eznark

Banned
I'm confused. yankeehater is arguing it's a stupid pick because they got a ton of value for "possibly the 4th best QB in the draft" while SonnyBoy is arguing the pick is fantastic because Cousins is crap.

This is the most Redskins pick of all.

I'm confused. yankeehater is arguing it's a stupid pick because they got a ton of value for "possibly the 4th best QB in the draft" while SonnyBoy is arguing the pick is fantastic because Cousins is crap.

This is the most Redskins pick of all.

No I am not saying it was a stupid pick, I think they might have been able to address a big need there but in the 4th most of those guys are ot going to play anyways. I was just saying it sucks for the player drafted to be stuck behind a guy that you cant beat out no matter what you do.

SonnyBoy

I'm confused.

This is where you should have stopped because clearly you are very confused. I'll make it easy for you.

I'm not arguing that Cousins is crap...

- I'm asking why did he fall, if he's as good as everyone makes him out to be?
- I'm asking if the Redskins got this QB that everyone thinks is great at a good value, what's the problem with that?
- I'm asking why posters on here consider him to be "highly touted QB" when arguing that he was a bad selection for the Skins, but when discussing his potential trade value, they then say he's mediocre and won't garner any value?
- I'm asking, when did a 4th round draft pick become more than a backup 9/10 times, especially at the QB position?

PhatSaqs

Banned
And he still does have a shot to develop. The situtation shouldnt and most likely wont change Kirks approach to developing. Especially having the shot to do so under a coach like Shanny.

He might be dissapointed that he didnt go in the 2nd or 3rd as some thought but that should be more motivating than anything else.
The situation isnt ideal but it hardly ever is for any player being drafted where he was. Especially a QB.

eznark

Banned
- I'm asking if the Redskins got this QB that everyone thinks is great at a good value, what's the problem with that?

Cousins is a pocket passer with erratic numbers that made poor decisions throughout his career. Mechanics can be fixed, idiocy is tougher. He is a project. He needs to learn how to read defenses, how to make pre-snap adjustments and just generally how to play the position at a faster/higher level. That takes time. He's at least two years away from even being given a shot.

I think it's a dumb pick only because I think spending any resources on a backup QB is idiotic. For instance, the Packers got Coleman in the 7th. I personally was higher on him than Cousins going into the draft. Probably just because that fucker threw a hail mary to kill the Badgers season but still. He isn't significantly closer to being an NFL QB than 7th rounders and FA signings.

No I am not saying it was a stupid pick, I think they might have been able to address a big need there but in the 4th most of those guys are ot going to play anyways. I was just saying it sucks for the player drafted to be stuck behind a guy that you cant beat out no matter what you do.

1. Bullshit. It is an absolutely fantastic situation for Cousins. He is a marginal talent that needs a ton of work on his mechanics and his decision making. He is nowhere near ready to play at an NFL level. Getting paid to develop with absolutely no pressure is a fantastic scenario for Cousins.

2. Why does he need to beat anyone out? Countless FA backups have gotten paid in free agency precisely because they generally only play under no pressure circumstances where they can excel. Flynn's signing is nothing new and not at all out of the ordinary. All Cousins has to do is play well in the preseason and have a couple decent games when mopping up.

3. RGIII plays the type of game that will surely get him some minor injuries that will keep him out plays or quarters. (Not talking scrambling, he just holds the ball forever). Cousins will get opportunities to play meaningful snaps throughout his tenure with the Redskins.

If I'm Cousins, I fucking love this situation.

SonnyBoy

1. Bullshit. It is an absolutely fantastic situation for Cousins. He is a marginal talent that needs a ton of work on his mechanics and his decision making. He is nowhere near ready to play at an NFL level. Getting paid to develop with absolutely no pressure is a fantastic scenario for Cousins.

2. Why does he need to beat anyone out? Countless FA backups have gotten paid in free agency precisely because they generally only play under no pressure circumstances where they can excel. Flynn's signing is nothing new and not at all out of the ordinary. All Cousins has to do is play well in the preseason and have a couple decent games when mopping up.

3. RGIII plays the type of game that will surely get him some minor injuries that will keep him out plays or quarters. (Not talking scrambling, he just holds the ball forever). Cousins will get opportunities to play meaningful snaps throughout his tenure with the Redskins.

I agree with this. If he plays his cards right and approaches the situation the right way he'll benefit from this situation.

I agree totally with the bolded part, but how is he going to develop when the Skins are going to be putting most of the time into developing RGIII. In practice RGIII will get 100% of the 1st team reps I bet, so that leaves Kirk and Rex to fight it out for what is left. Maybe you are right and this turns out great for him but I can imagine a team like the Broncos would have been a better spot for him, and he seemed to think that to since he mentioned that he was expecting the Broncos to draft him.

SonnyBoy

I think it's a dumb pick only because I think spending any resources on a backup QB is idiotic. For instance, the Packers got Coleman in the 7th. I personally was higher on him than Cousins going into the draft. Probably just because that fucker threw a hail mary to kill the Badgers season but still. He isn't significantly closer to being an NFL QB than 7th rounders and FA signings.

And I totally respect your opinion because it is your own and not just mindless regurgiation from ESPN like most people. If you feel like he may have fallen even further and that we could have got him later, I can't argue that. It's totally possible.

But I will say that, Mike worked with during the senior bowl. He had hands-on experience with kid and a better grasp of who the kid, than if he hadn't worked the senior bowl. So I'm sure that had a lot to do with the pick. I'm fine with it because thought and preparation went into, it was a situation where they just jumped at a random guy that Kiper ranked high.

Some say he was a value, some like you think he was taken too high. It's entirely debatable. I agree that they could have gotten a QB in the 7th, but this was a personal selection by Mike due to having worked with him. To me, that's the difference.

SonnyBoy

In practice RGIII will get 100% of the 1st team reps I bet, so that leaves Kirk and Rex to fight it out for what is left.

Correct me if I'm wrong but during the season, the starter ALWAYS gets 100% of the reps. So aside from the off-season, that was going to be his fate regardless of the team he went to.

If we're discussing the off-season, then yes, he'll get reduced snaps. That's fine, he's a backup. If he supplants Rex next year, his reps will increase. Nothing is stopping Cousins from working with WR's low on the depth chart after practice. He can get the practice if he wants it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm actually shocked this has garnered more discussion than the Jags drafting a punter in the third round.

The third round!

Is RG3 going to follow every other black QB ever and be a scramble QB or will they mold him into more of a pocket passer? The fact they drafted a backup QB may answer the question.

eznark

Banned
I agree totally with the bolded part, but how is he going to develop when the Skins are going to be putting most of the time into developing RGIII. In practice RGIII will get 100% of the 1st team reps I bet, so that leaves Kirk and Rex to fight it out for what is left. Maybe you are right and this turns out great for him but I can imagine a team like the Broncos would have been a better spot for him, and he seemed to think that to since he mentioned that he was expecting the Broncos to draft him.

Like I said, his isn't necessarily a physical problem. He needs to learn how to quarterback a team; proper reads, pre-snap adjustments, audibiles, etc.

Also, you're a bit wrong on the way these units work. QB's work as a unit. LaFleur isn't going to have secret one on one workout sessions with Griffin just to fuck the other guys. That's nonsensical. Yes, Griffin will work with the first team, but Cousins will do all the drills and all the mechanical work. He'll also be running the scout team, going against the first team defense every single day.

And I totally respect your opinion because it is your own and not just mindless regurgiation from ESPN like most people. If you feel like he may have fallen even further and that we could have got him later, I can't argue that. It's totally possible.

No, I think Cousins would have gone in the 4th. I just think there isn't a huge gulf between him and later round guys.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Is RG3 going to follow every other black QB ever and be a scramble QB or will they mold him into more of a pocket passer? The fact they drafted a backup QB may answer the question.
Seriously.....
Also, I am working under the assumption that Grossman will be cut. It makes no sense to keep him around.
We can only hope but I wouldnt be surprised if he stays on as a player/coach for this season.

SonnyBoy

Also, I am working under the assumption that Grossman will be cut. It makes no sense to keep him around.

Grossman won't be cut. He's been in the system for 3+ years now, he's going to be the liason between the coaches and rookies. However, the Redskins did cut John Beck mere moments after obtaining Cousins. They saved 1.3M by doing that.

IMO, I think they'll keep Grossman onboard for the 2013, 2014 seasons. However, he and cousins will swap positions on the depth chart for the 2014 seasons.

eznark

Banned
What is Grossman being paid? He is only 31, why would he be ok with essentially retiring from active football?

Also, if Cousins is going to be the third string QB then wow, this is a fucking dumb ass use of a pick.

SonnyBoy

No, I think Cousins would have gone in the 4th. I just think there isn't a huge gulf between him and later round guys.

Understood. Then, it must have been Mikes hands-on experience with him that in his mind made him worth a 4th round pick. I think for such an important decision, knowing a kids intangibles is worth that pick, IMO. He got to witness his worth ethic, pratice habits, demeanor, etc etc moreso than a random in the 7th round. If he feels like they've addressed their holes to a good degree and could use that 4th for this selection, I understand.

Colasante

What is Grossman being paid? He is only 31, why would he be ok with essentially retiring from active football?

Also, if Cousins is going to be the third string QB then wow, this is a fucking dumb ass use of a pick.

Because otherwise, Grossman would have to actually retire from active football. At this point I think Shanahan's the only guy who'd want him around. But I can see Grossman getting cut next year and Cousins becoming #2.

eznark

Banned
Because otherwise, Grossman would have to actually retire from active football. At this point I think Shanahan's the only guy who'd want him around. But I can see Grossman getting cut next year and Cousins becoming #2.

There are a number of teams with no backups to speak of. He'd be a great fit as Poutface's backup.

SonnyBoy

Since when have fans/NFL management given a f*** about a player being okay with being surpassed? That's the nature of the draft. Did your coach ask his players if they were ok with rookies being drafted at their position? If he didn't f***ing suck, he wouldn't have to worry about it.

He signed a 1 year contract, vet min I think.

So forward thinking is frowned upon by you?

Have you seen him play?

He couldn't have...

There was a point during the last day of the draft when they were talking about RGIII and they were comparing him to Vick, and Cam, and early Mcnabb and they cut to a studio and someone asked why dont they compare him to Steve Young, I think it was on ESPN. Did anyone else see that? The coverage of him is so ridiculous, we dont even know what kind of QB he will be, maybe he will be like Moon or Doug Williams, maybe he will be just like Joe Montana. I hate that black QBs can only be compared to other black QBs.

eznark

Banned
Have you seen him play?

Have you seen Calen Hanie play? How about Tyler Palko? Curtis Painter?

Yeah, there is room for him on various NFL rosters.

Since when have fans/NFL management given a f*** about a player being okay with being surpassed? That's the nature of the draft. Did your coach ask his players if they were ok with rookies being drafted at their position? If he didn't f***ing suck, he wouldn't have to worry about it.

So forward thinking is frowned upon by you?

No, I'm not concerned about him. Why would I give a shit. Just wondering why he would stay. I think it would be a better situation for Washington if he left, personally.

Forward thinking on the third string quarterback? Yes, absolutely. I frown upon that when it means using actual valuable resources for a guy who you don't think will even ascend to backup QB for two years.

Colasante

There was a point during the last day of the draft when they were talking about RGIII and they were comparing him to Vick, and Cam, and early Mcnabb and they cut to a studio and someone asked why dont they compare him to Steve Young, I think it was on ESPN. Did anyone else see that? The coverage of him is so ridiculous, we dont even know what kind of QB he will be, maybe he will be like Moon or Doug Williams, maybe he will be just like Joe Montana. I hate that black QBs can only be compared to other black QBs.

I don't think it's a matter of racism or anything, just an example of the lack of articulateness from many sportscasters. It's the same thing with white receivers- they're all like Wes Welker.

SonnyBoy

I don't think it's a matter of racism or anything, just an example of the lack of articulateness from many sportscasters. It's the same thing with white receivers- they're all like Wes Welker.

Fair point.

Just wondering why he would stay. I think it would be a better situation for Washington if he left, personally.

He's under contract for one more year. Regardless of where he goes, he's gonna ride the pine. Prolly decided it'll be better for him to be somewhere familiar and comfortable.

Forward thinking on the third string quarterback? Yes, absolutely. I frown upon that when it means using actual valuable resources for a guy who you don't think will even ascend to backup QB for two years.

You're describing the 4th round pick as if it's not used for depth purposes. Very few teams are scoring starter material out of a 4th round pick. Cousins is #3 by nature of him not knowing the offense, in addition to RGIII not knowing it. He's #3 for one year, as Rex's contract will expire.

Exactly. It is like they just cant think of a valid comparison and just go with what is the easiest. It used to drive me nuts to see some many people compare Mcnabb to Vick before, their style of play was not even close to being the same.

Top Bottom