• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

PhatSaqs

Banned
Have you seen Calen Hanie play? How about Tyler Palko? Curtis Painter?

Yeah, there is room for him on various NFL rosters.
I cant speak to those players but I can speak to Rex having watched him play for my favorite team the last two years. Rex has proven that he cannot be relied on in any capacity as an NFL QB. Everyone knows what he is. I'll be really surprised if he's not out of the league by next year.

eznark

Banned
You're describing the 4th round pick as if it's not used for depth purposes. Very few teams are scoring starter material out of a 4th round pick. Cousins is #3 by nature of him not knowing the offense, in addition to RGIII not knowing it. He's #3 for one year, as Rex's contract will expire.

Depth at a position where it matters, and usually a guy who will backup but still contribute on special teams and certain packages. Not a guy who has no shot of ever seeing the field barring catastrophe.

Next years quarterback class is a lot deeper. It doesn't have the two super stars, but it is like 8 deep. You'd have been better off drafting an actual backup in the 4th round instead of a project who won't be the least bit valuable for three seasons.

Of course, if he wins the number two job and actually gets showcased then I don't hate the move. If he is buried at the least valuable spot in a football organization and you spent a 4th on him? Not smart.

I cant speak to those players
What? Did you not watch football last year?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I cant speak to those players but I can speak to Rex having watched him play for my favorite team the last two years. Rex has proven that he cannot be relied on in any capacity as an NFL QB. Everyone knows what he is. I'll be really surprised if he's not out of the league by next year.

He's much better than any of those guys mentioned. He's not a starter, but I'd rather have him as my backup than any of those hacks. Hell, in limited play Grossman has done pretty well. He's practically the epitome of a backup.

On the subject of draft grades we were talking about earlier, a poster at BBI posted Kiper's draft grades and comments for the Giants drafts since 2004 (the Eli trade). Aside from cementing why I don't find Kiper worth listening to during the draft anyway I found his comments entertaining.

Forgive the length of the post (credit to DelBlue91 from BBI):

2004:

1- Manning
2- Snee
4- Torbor
5- Gibril Wilson
6- Jamaar Taylor
7- Strojny

New York Giants: C+
It all hinges on Eli Manning and how he pans out. The Giants obviously felt he was significantly better than the other top quarterbacks or they would not have given up so much to get him. There will be tremendous pressure on him to make it all worth it, but Ernie Accorsi has a history of being a good judge of young quarterbacks, so it could all work out. Chris Snee was a solid pickup at guard but they did pass on Nat Dorsey, failing to upgrade the left tackle spot. Gibril Wilson was arguably the defensive MVP for Tennessee last season.

2005:

2- Webster
3- Tuck
4- Jacobs
6- Eric Moore

New York Giants: C
Cornerback Corey Webster was slowed by nagging injuries last season but is a tremendous cover man when healthy and had a top-10 grade after his junior season. Justin Tuck is an okay end in the third round but should have gone back to Notre Dame, Brandon Jacobs should carve a niche as a power back and end Eric Moore is also an okay pick. The Giants just did not have enough selections to make a big impact on their football team.

(arguably the most impactful draft the Giants had in this time span outside of the Eli pick with our defensive captain, our best corner and our power back of the future taken)

2006:

1- Kiwanuka
2- Moss
3- Wilkinson
4- Cofield
4- Whimper
5- Peprah
7- Gerrick McPhearson

New York Giants: GRADE: C+
DE Mathias Kiwanuka was a reach late in the first round, but he will get a chance to learn from Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora. Getting WR Sinorice Moss in the second round was one of the best picks in the draft; he could be the deep threat the Giants' offense needs. Guy Whimper is a versatile offensive lineman and could have gone higher than the fourth round.

2007:

1- Ross
2- Steve Smith
3- Alford
4- DeOssie
5- Boss
6- Koets
7- Michael Johnson
7- Bradshaw

New York Giants: GRADE: C-
I would have gone differently with the Giants’ draft. Cornerback Aaron Ross has very good ball skills but not great catchup speed. I was surprised they didn’t take left tackle Joe Staley because they need someone who can protect Eli Manning’s blind side. The Giants took offensive tackle Adam Koets in the sixth round and even passed on left tackle Jermon Bushrod. If they had taken Staley, they could have drafted Eric Wright from UNLV instead of WR Steve Smith. I would rather have had Staley and Wright, but Smith is a good receiver and will be someone who holds onto the ball. Zak DeOssie was a really good long snapper in college and, at worst, will be a backup linebacker in the NFL. Kevin Boss (fifth round) is a natural pass-catching tight end with speed and has a chance to make an impact in the passing game. Safety Michael Johnson was a good pick in the seventh round but needs to be more physical.

2008:

1- Phillips
2- T. Thomas
3- Manningham
4- Kehl
5- Goff
6- Woodson
6- Robert Henderson

New York Giants: GRADE: C+
I understand taking safety Kenny Phillips with the last pick in the first round. He had a great sophomore season in 2006. Terrell Thomas could be a No. 2 cornerback, but I thought that pick was just OK. Wide receiver Mario Manningham is worth a role of the dice in the third round because he has talent, but his stock dropped in the months leading up to the draft, with some teams viewing him as a late-round pick. Jonathan Goff was a good find in the fifth round, and the same can be said about Andre’ Woodson in Round 6. Defensive end Robert Henderson is just a marginal prospect.

2009:

1- Nicks
2- Stintim
2- Beatty
3- Barden
3- Beckum
4- Andre Brown
5- Bomar
6- Wright
7- Woodson

New York Giants: GRADE: B
The selection of first-round wide receiver Hakeem Nicks could be a good one, but he really needs to keep his weight up to make an impact in the NFL. I like the selection of offensive tackle William Beatty in the second round and wide receiver Ramses Barden in the third round. They made some good selections late in the draft with running back Andre Brown in the fourth and the two defensive backs in the sixth and seventh rounds: DeAndre Wright and Stoney Woodson.
(Wrigth and Woodson didn't even make it to the practice squad)

SonnyBoy

Depth at a position where it matters, and usually a guy who will backup but still contribute on special teams and certain packages. Not a guy who has no shot of ever seeing the field barring catastrophe.

Prove it. Otherwise, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I can prove you wrong, easily. However, I doubt you can prove this... Prove me wrong. Otherwise, you're talking out of ur a** which I'm sure is the case.

Next years quarterback class is a lot deeper.

You're ignoring the FACT that Mike had hands-on time with guy and liked what he saw. I dont give a f*** who comes out next year and you can't guarantee that whomever we like would fall to us in next years draft.

You'd have been better off drafting an actual backup in the 4th round instead of a project who won't be the least bit valuable for three seasons.

Opinion, not fact. Time will tell.

If he is buried at the least valuable spot in a football organization and you spent a 4th on him? Not smart.

Imma say this really slow for you. Rex has a 1 year contract, he's not buried... He'll be the #2 guy next year.

jakncoke

Banned
I had a dream week 1 had just finished, then I woke up and realized week 1 is months away :(

I guess we can classify this as a nightmare

jakncoke said:
I had a dream week 1 had just finished, then I woke up and realized week 1 is months away :(
This is the worst part of the offseason. Post-draft when there is very little to look forward to until the pre-season starts.:(

Future it is funny you posted that because Brian Baldinger was on ESPN radio the day before the draft talking about the myth of the Giants being a good drafting team. He went through every pick they have made since like 05 and said that they didnt have a better success rate and most teams. I really think if you looked at any teams of a long stretch like that the tams that make the playoffs would have more misses then hits, but the bad teams just miss so much more. I cant imagine what the Raiders or Browns drafts from the last 7 years looks like.

eznark

Banned
Prove it. Otherwise, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I can prove you wrong, easily. However, I doubt you can prove this... Prove me wrong. Otherwise, you're talking out of ur a** which I'm sure is the case.

Prove what? That most fourth rounders aren't drafted to be third string? Look at this years fourth round picks and see what they are projected to contribute. I doubt there is a third stringer in there and if there are, they're at position like LB and S who will contribute heavily on ST.

I don't get why you are so riled up. It's a 4th round pick. The Packers wasted one of a retarded safety who played at Maine. It's ok to criticize your team sometimes. Especially when you root for one as historically idiotic as yours.

He is buried this year. Next year you find the same thing and you don't waste this pick on an unnecessary practice squad guy who won't even get scout team reps.

SonnyBoy

Prove what? That most fourth rounders aren't drafted to be third string? Look at this years fourth round picks and see what they are projected to contribute.

I'm asking you to prove what you're insinuating, that the Redskins failed to address depth/special teams because of this one pick. That is what you said, isn't it?

Riled up? Not really. I don't consider asking someone to prove a baseless argument as being riled up.

In 2011, Hightower’s special teams unit ranked first in the NFC in kick return average allowed (20.8 yards) for the second consecutive season. Additionally, the unit ranked fifth in the NFC in opponents’ average starting position (21.8-yard line on kickoffs).

For an already decent teams unit, these players acquired this year will be added to the mix.

2012 draft acquisitions that could contribute on teams and were brought in to compete to start.

4 Keenan Robinson 119 - LB
6 Alfred Morris 173 - DB
7 Jordan Bernstine 217 - DB/S

2012 FA acquistions that could contribute on teams and were brought in to compete to start.

S Madieu Williams
CB Cedric Griffin
CB Leigh Torrence
LB Chris Wilson
LB Bryan Kehl
LB Jonathan Goff

OL, LB & secondary being the areas that needed depth this off-season, all were addressed. 3 OL were taken in the draft.

krzy123

Prove what? That most fourth rounders aren't drafted to be third string? Look at this years fourth round picks and see what they are projected to contribute. I doubt there is a third stringer in there and if there are, they're at position like LB and S who will contribute heavily on ST.

I don't get why you are so riled up. It's a 4th round pick. The Packers wasted one of a retarded safety who played at Maine. It's ok to criticize your team sometimes. Especially when you root for one as historically idiotic as yours.

He is buried this year. Next year you find the same thing and you don't waste this pick on an unnecessary practice squad guy who won't even get scout team reps.

Basically, last year the skins drafted a starter in the 4th, this year a 3rd stringer + a depth LB pick (had 2 fourth rounders), evens out anyways.

Bowser

Odd, Rivera was on local radio this morning and said that if Kuechly hadn't been available, we would have picked Coples and moved him to DT full-time as a 3-technique...

yankeehater said:
I really think if you looked at any teams of a long stretch like that the tams that make the playoffs would have more misses then hits, but the bad teams just miss so much more.
The draft is an imperfect science. Law of averages. I would say that comment is misguided though (as is Baldinger's method of disproving the supposed myth). The question is how well did the hits work out and did they hit in the top rounds because that's what counts? Who gives a shit if you miss on a 5th, 6th or 7th round prospect? You use those picks on hit or miss players anyway. So of course missing on those will pull down your averages but again - so what?

The Giants are a consistently good drafting team in the first round. That's not a myth. Nor it is a myth that they do a good job of stacking depth in the later rounds and getting contributions from those smaller depth players. The 2007 draft was a monster for instance. Every player contributed to that Super Bowl run and later round players like Bradshaw and Boss were starters (and still are in the case of Bradshaw). That's why they are considered a good drafting team. Rightfully so. Look at the first round players on that list:

Eli Manning - Franchise QB, 2 x Super Bowl MVP
Corey Webster - Starting corner for years now
Mathias Kiwanuka - Versatile DE/LB just signed a contract extension and could start (and has started in the past) on the defensive line
Aaron Ross - Slowed by injury but contributed heavily to the two Super Bowl wins. Starter last season with the injury riddled CB corp. Starter in 2008 as well prior to injury.
Kenny Phillips - Our best safety. Starter for years now. Came back from a nasty knee injury and played very well last season.
Hakeem Nicks - Do I even need to qualify this pick?

2010: Jason Pierre Paul
2011: Prince Amukamara (injury made his rookie season a wash so the jury is still out)

There's a reason many of us don't get concerned about what the Giants do in the first round because they come out of it with high quality players. Their average in the first three rounds is pretty damned good, too.

jakncoke

Banned
This is kinda fucked. So i bought my gf a wii for her graduation because she wanted to play mario kart. They didn't have a single copy but they had at least 20 copies of the first wii sports and other shitty games. I asked a worker and she said if it wasn't on the shelf it may be in the throw away bin which is a complete clusterfuck, worse than the 5 dollar movie bin seriously.

PhatSaqs

Banned
For an already decent teams unit, these players acquired this year will be added to the mix.

2012 draft acquisitions that could contribute on teams and were brought in to compete to start.

4 Keenan Robinson 119 - LB
6 Alfred Morris 173 - DB
7 Jordan Bernstine 217 - DB/S

2012 FA acquistions that could contribute on teams and were brought in to compete to start.

S Madieu Williams
CB Cedric Griffin
CB Leigh Torrence
LB Chris Wilson
LB Bryan Kehl
LB Jonathan Goff

OL, LB & secondary being the areas that needed depth this off-season, all were addressed. 3 OL were taken in the draft.
+1. Not to mention some of no risk/high reward players they picked up such as UFA like Chase Minnifield. I'm pulling for this kid to heal up as he was a potential 2nd rounder before he got hurt.

Slo

S Madieu Williams
CB Cedric Griffin

20050411-napoleonbro.jpg

Draxal said:
Funny thing is that the worst Giants draft (2009) was the only one that got a B from Kiper.
Right. We still go two starters out of it in the first three rounds to boot (Nicks and Beatty). This is Barden's prove it season. Beckum was finally starting to flash only to have the knee injury, too.

Draxal

Right. We still go two starters out of it in the first three rounds to boot (Nicks and Beatty). This is Barden's prove it season. Beckum was finally starting to flash only to have the knee injury, too.

2010 is insanely top heavy, but with the loss of Chad Jones, it's not as strong as earlier ones. The recurring theme on failed picks seems to be injuries, hell even Sinorice Moss was injury prone, the last real bust I think has to be William Joseph.

Anyway, I liked how of all people Matt Millen was the voice of reason on NFL access grading everybody's draft (inc), because let's face it all the analysts know jack shit.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
There was a point during the last day of the draft when they were talking about RGIII and they were comparing him to Vick, and Cam, and early Mcnabb and they cut to a studio and someone asked why dont they compare him to Steve Young, I think it was on ESPN. Did anyone else see that? The coverage of him is so ridiculous, we dont even know what kind of QB he will be, maybe he will be like Moon or Doug Williams, maybe he will be just like Joe Montana. I hate that black QBs can only be compared to other black QBs.

It's possible!

I was more making the point that there really hasn't been a black pocket passer since Moon. Almost like coaches just can't help themselves and mold them all into scramble type QBs.

Honestly he'll probably be a lot more like Young (or Rodgers) if he's as accurate as they say. Vick generally has awful accuracy.

eznark

Banned
I'm asking you to prove what you're insinuating, that the Redskins failed to address depth/special teams because of this one pick. That is what you said, isn't it?

Riled up? Not really. I don't consider asking someone to prove a baseless argument as being riled up.

This is bizarre to me. I know this isn't the first time you have followed a draft. I'm not "insinuating" anything. I'm flat out telling you that teams do not generally draft guys in the 4th round who will not contribute at all. To find someone who fits that bill, you would have to find the last guy a team drafted to be the practice squad quarterback in the 4th round. I can't think of any. Plenty of guys fit that bill in the 6th and 7th, it just doesn't happen in the fourth.

Do some guys not pan out and end up having zero impact? Of course, however in this case he's been specifically drafted to serve no purpose. Great, the coach likes him. Who cares? The point of taking him is to groom him and trade him, not make him the starter.

This is bizarre to me. I know this isn't the first time you have followed a draft. I'm not "insinuating" anything. I'm flat out telling you that teams do not generally draft guys in the 4th round who will not contribute at all. To find someone who fits that bill, you would have to find the last guy a team drafted to be the practice squad quarterback in the 4th round. I can't think of any. Plenty of guys fit that bill in the 6th and 7th, it just doesn't happen in the fourth.

Do some guys not pan out and end up having zero impact? Of course, however in this case he's been specifically drafted to serve no purpose. Great, the coach likes him. Who cares? The point of taking him is to groom him and trade him, not make him the starter.

Ryan Mallett was 74th overall.

Bowser

ofc it didn't

It's not like it's that farfetched that the Skins might have gotten a late round pick for him. The dude nearly had 1,000 yards receiving (68 rec, 947 yds, 5 TDs) with Rex Grossman and John Beck as his QBs. That's pretty damn impressive IMO.

Bowser

I think its funny he's been in the league 10 years, and those were all his career highs.

And he did it with Rex "Fuck it, I'm Going Deep" Grossman and John "lol I have a job" Beck!

Grossman and Beck!

How in the hell he managed that, I will never know.

Talon

And he did it with Rex "Fuck it, I'm Going Deep" Grossman and John "lol I have a job" Beck!

Grossman and Beck!

They were out of games by the second half and chucking the ball like madmen.

krzy123

Grossman and Beck!

him and rex were teammates at fla. i suppose, his stats are crazy consistent for the year.

John Harbaugh posts on GAF?

http://thejoint.98online.com/_Coach-Harbaugh/audio/935921/13306.html

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...h-patriots-titles-have-asterisks-are-stained/

Harbaugh was asked about the Saints bounty scandal. But instead of talking about the Saints, Harbaugh focused his answer on the Patriots.

“In the end, everything is brought before the light of day,” Harbaugh said. “Even the thing in New England, no matter whether those things had any impact on whether they won their championships or not, they got asterisks now, it’s been stained. So to me, it’s never worth it. You’ve got to figure out ways to use the rules to your advantage.”

Harbaugh added that he believes the Ravens have been victimized by other teams cheating in the past, although he doesn’t want to say which teams because he believes such an accusation would become a headline at a certain pro football website.

“Yeah, I have, but if I say when, it’s gonna be like Pro Football Talk is gonna blow up like crazy,” Harbaugh said when asked if he thinks he has ever been victimized by another team breaking the rules. “I’m going to get accused of accusing somebody of something.”

Top Bottom