• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

You know what? Ive been a lurker for forever but NOT ANYMORE
yahoo.com
Atlanta, Seattle top list of America’s most miserable sports cities
The “top” five:

1. Atlanta – championship round record: 1-5
2. Seattle – championship round record: 1-3
3. Phoenix – championship round record: 1-3
4. Buffalo – championship round record: 2-6
5. San Diego – championship round record: 1-7
• See more cities

We're not #1!!!!! EAT IT FALCONS FAN
LA needs a team :(
and NO THANKS to 49rs and raiders, i dont want to get disappointed and or shanked[/s]
maybe with MVFLYNN we will get somewhere like
2nd
place!
out
The Seahawks suck dick and you're a fool for liking them,

I mean, um,

Welcome to NFL-GAF, my friend!

And kudos for establishing your team allegiance early and not lifelonging on the Giants or Packers or someone like that.

P.S. :jakncoke/:jnc is basically this community's way of saying :lol, if you didn't know that. It's based off of the World's No.1 Seahawks' fan, jakncoke himself.

yacobod

Banned
Is this season the second book?

yes. at this rate they are going to pass that fatass GURM, unless they start splitting up books. and even then they are going to have to do some major reworking of books 4 and 5 to make them remotely interesting on TV.

Milchjon

How do they handle old Week XY OTs in Community? Do they just float peacefully and the current one stays on top, kinda like College threads in OT?

eznark

Banned
I'm curious to hear your opinion of Xenoblade. I don't have the patience for just any RPG now and I can't take Nintendo zealots' opinions of games seriously anymore.

I'm only a couple of hours in but so far the pacing is really good. Some slight lulls for combat tutorials and things, but it doesn't start like most JRPG's; a 20 minute cut scene that forces you to constantly hit A, then move around for two minutes triggering the next 20 minute cut scene.

The voice work is good, the story is engaging, characters are so far avoiding some of the more rote tropes (no amnesia yet!) and it's moving along at a nice clip. I spent an hour exploring the first town and picking up a bunch of side quests, but the game also wisely lets you know that should you chose to, you can skip all the side stuff and just do the story quests without much problem.

I love that you don't have to turn in side quests, you're just rewarded for completing them. Dialog boxes go at a great pace so you aren't hammering A, it just moves along.

On the negative side, combat is super simple right now. I can see it will get awesome eventually, but it isn't yet. Some more hyper-critical and nuanced JRPG critic will probably correct me, but the combat is like a combination of Chrono Trigger and Tales. Once some option open up it is going to be rad.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How do they handle old Week XY OTs in Community? Do they just float peacefully and the current one stays on top, kinda like College threads in OT?

Weekly threads will be in OT. Don't think they will be stickied but really it doesn't matter, as it'll stay on the top of the page all the time anyway.

Milchjon

No more weekly threads.

Really? So in 12 months, we'll just have NFL |OT35| ?

Weekly threads will be in OT. Don't think they will be stickied but really it doesn't matter, as it'll stay on the top of the page all the time anyway.

Well, what's the point of Community, then? One weekly thread in OT, a community thread in here, what do we talk about in which one?

I'd hate both of these possibilities. The first one would be completely insular. For instance I'd look into a Soccer World Championship thread, but not into their Megathread on 578 different leagues, and I guess Football would be the same. The other option just completely defeats the idea of Community...

Has there been anything official from Evilore & Co.?

filler

Banned
I like the Wheeler signing. Should be an improvement over Wimbley.

Raiders trade Campbell for veteran running back
By Steve Corkran
Friday, March 30th, 2012 at 12:41 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Former Carolina Panthers running back Mike Goodson just Tweeted that he has been traded to the Raiders. One report said the Raiders traded offensive lineman Bruce Campbell in exchange for Goodson.
The Panthers just confirmed the deal. A Raiders official said via text that the deal is official.
“We wanted to acquire another player to compete at the running back position,” Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said in a press release. “He can do a lot of things in our scheme on offense. He’s very versatile, he has natural running skills, he’s a great receiver out of the backfield, and he has kick-return ability. I’m anxious to see if he can put all that together here as a Raider.”
Goodson, 6-feet and 212 pounds, entered the NFL as a fourth-round draft pick of the Panthers out of Texas A&M. He rushed for 501 yards on 125 carries the past three seasons as a seldom-used backup. He also caught 43 passes for 329 yards and averaged 21.7 yards on kick returns.
He is in the final season of his original contract, which calls for him to earn $615,000 this season. If the deal occurred, as Goodson said, Goodson is expected to compete with Taiwan Jones, Lonyae Miller and Rashawn Jackson for the backup spot to starter Darren McFadden.
That spot came open when Michael Bush bolted in free agency for a contract with the Chicago Bears.
Goodson started only three of the 28 games he played in the past three seasons. He played in only four games last season and finished the year on injured-reserve.
Campbell was a fourth-round pick of the Raiders in the 2010 NFL draft. They had high hopes for him as a potential fixture on their offensive line.
However, Campbell failed to materialize into a dependable player and played only sparingly both seasons. He appeared in 14 of 32 games the past two seasons, with no starts.
In other news, Adam Caplan reported that East Carolina offensive tackle Stephen Baker is scheduled for a pre-draft visit with the Raiders in April.

Wheeler comes aboard
By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, March 30th, 2012 at 7:24 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Update: Raiders officially announce Wheeler’s signing at 8 p.m.

Linebacker Philip Wheeler, wowed by the support of Raider fans on his Twitter account, was also suitably impressed by the organization.

The Raiders announced Friday night that they’ve signed Wheeler. NFL Network reported earlier that it’s a one-year deal.

Wheeler’s signing marked their second move of the day after acquiring running back Mike Goodson in exchange for third-year offensive tackle Bruce Campbell.

Wheeler visited the Raiders facility Thursday, a bit of news he reported himself on his Twitter account. He was immediately inundated with tweets of encouragement.

“Raider Nation showed love. Preciate that. Legendary place,” Wheeler tweeted.

With Wheeler filling the role of strong side linebacker, the Raiders starting defense under coordinator Jason Tarver and coach Dennis Allen shapes up like this:

RDE Matt Shaughnessy
DT Tommy Kelly
DT Richard Seymour
LDE Lamarr Houston
SLB Philip Wheeler
MLB Rolando McClain
WLB Aaron Curry
CB Ron Bartell
CB Shawntae Spencer
SS Tyvon Branch
FS Michael Huff

That’s assuming the Raiders run a 4-3 defense, of course. If Oakland finds a true nose tackle and switches to the 3-4, it will make for interesting deployment of the defensive line. Seymour has been a 3-4 end with New England Kelly has played end in a 4-3 but never played in a 3-4.

Shaughnessy seems ideally suited for a 4-3 end. Houston is a tweener in terms of being a three-technique in 4-3 or an end.

bionic77

I'm only a couple of hours in but so far the pacing is really good. Some slight lulls for combat tutorials and things, but it doesn't start like most JRPG's; a 20 minute cut scene that forces you to constantly hit A, then move around for two minutes triggering the next 20 minute cut scene.

The voice work is good, the story is engaging, characters are so far avoiding some of the more rote tropes (no amnesia yet!) and it's moving along at a nice clip. I spent an hour exploring the first town and picking up a bunch of side quests, but the game also wisely lets you know that should you chose to, you can skip all the side stuff and just do the story quests without much problem.

I love that you don't have to turn in side quests, you're just rewarded for completing them. Dialog boxes go at a great pace so you aren't hammering A, it just moves along.

On the negative side, combat is super simple right now. I can see it will get awesome eventually, but it isn't yet. Some more hyper-critical and nuanced JRPG critic will probably correct me, but the combat is like a combination of Chrono Trigger and Tales. Once some option open up it is going to be rad.

That sounds good.

You should get KI too. That game is a blast. So fun. It hurts so good.

eznark

Banned
That sounds good.

You should get KI too. That game is a blast. So fun. It hurts so good.

I will eventually. But I'm sitting on two hundred hour RPGs right now, not to mention Dota and MLB and the never ending Madden league. Just no time for it.

There will be weekly threads. If nothing else we will make them in Community OT.

Yeah heres the quote:

For example, PoliGAF has its official thread in Community, but when the State of the Union address hits, which many people beyond the couple dozen regulars will want to discuss, they make a thread in Off-Topic. People shoot the shit and talk about minor news items in the MMA official thread, and when there's a UFC PPV card they create a separate thread. Many more people care about the bottom line, the big fight, than the day to day regional events or news about someone's elbow being strained.

When the State of the Union address is *only* talked about in the 15,000 reply PoliGAF megathread, who knows about it? Who is going to enter into the discussion in progress? Mostly only the PoliGAF regulars. So there is a cutoff, and it's approached on a case by case basis, but the gist is that when there is something to engage the general forum populace with, not just the community crowd, and it's noteworthy and temporary (not "POLIGAF Week 13 Discussion...then POLIGAF Week 14 Discussion" following that; that's effectively no different than a megathread, just messier), then you'll know it's appropriate to create a new thread in the Off-Topic.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He said we can only make threads there for really important topics, pretty sure regular season week X doesn't count.

I don't see how they're not important. MMA event threads are okay but NFL weekly threads aren't? NFL threads get a ton more posts than the MMA ones. They should be okay but it'd be nice to have confirmation from Hito or whoever.

The split was so people could talk about transactions and the NFL during the week in here and the games in the OT thread over there. At least I'm pretty sure thats what evilore was talking about.

Milchjon

Yeah heres the quote:

"it's approached on a case by case basis, but the gist is that when there is something to engage the general forum populace with, not just the community crowd"

Isn't that completely wishy-washy? I'd bet that a weekend of NFL games appeals to a larger group of Gaffers than 90% of all other threads. How are we supposed to know where the cutoff is? Is Bountygate interesting enough? Tim Tebow being a saint with limited football skills? The Lockout? And it also leads to a problem of "discussion fragmentation", where a single topic is discussed in several threads...

I guess I just assumed we'd keep the old model of weekly threads in Community. I hate continuous Megathreads and never really enter them, even if I'm interested in the topic. With weekly OTs, there was at least a clear point of reference every week that can help new visitors gain track and isn't half as imposing as for instance PoliGAF or SoccerGAF. The way the US sports threads were handled made it much easier for someone like me to start and participate...

I think the PoliGAF example doesn't really apply here. The PoliGAF mega-thread continues to exist outside of the SotU thread. The SotU thread is temporary and fades into obscurity after a week or two, while PoliGAF continues strong.

On our side, we don't have an NFL mega-thread and then weekly games threads. We all gravitate from an offseason thread to the games week by week. This community thread will drift into obscurity once the season starts, because we'll all be posting in the weekly threads, wherever they are.

Sounds to me like during the regular season we'll be in OT but during the offseason when we have one huge thread we'll be in community.

Milchjon

I think the PoliGAF example doesn't really apply here. The PoliGAF mega-thread continues to exist outside of the SotU thread. The SotU thread is temporary and fades into obscurity after a week or two, while PoliGAF continues strong.

On our side, we don't have an NFL mega-thread and then weekly games threads. We all gravitate from an offseason thread to the games week by week. This community thread will drift into obscurity once the season starts, because we'll all be posting in the weekly threads, wherever they are.

Sounds to me like during the regular season we'll be in OT but during the offseason when we have one huge thread we'll be in community.

What about the other sports then? Isn't the NBA in the middle of the season right now? What about the NHL? Yet they're in Community.

What about the other sports then? Isn't the NBA in the middle of the season right now? What about the NHL? Yet they're in Community.

NHL has one huge thread for every month of the season. They basically just keep a mega-thread going year round. I don't know what NBA does; I don't wander into that rat's nest.

With NFL having clearly defined breaking points -- there are 17 weeks of the season -- I would think we'd have the weekly season threads in the OT, the playoffs in the OT, the SB in the OT, then the offseason stuff would all just stay right in Community as it's not really geared around specific topics but is more general. And really, only the die hards stay in here during the offseason. We'll get a few people roaming in during the draft to say "We picked xxxx ? Fuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!" and that sort of thing.

eznark

Banned
Oh shit, I am cancelling DirecTV. Cutting the cord! On the phone right now, this is literally the first time in 30 years I'll be without cable.

NHL has one huge thread for every month of the season. They basically just keep a mega-thread going year round. I don't know what NBA does; I don't wander into that rat's nest.

With NFL having clearly defined breaking points -- there are 17 weeks of the season -- I would think we'd have the weekly season threads in the OT, the playoffs in the OT, the SB in the OT, then the offseason stuff would all just stay right in Community as it's not really geared around specific topics but is more general. And really, only the die hards stay in here during the offseason. We'll get a few people roaming in during the draft to say "We picked xxxx ? Fuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!" and that sort of thing.

What makes you think the nfl thread will get special treatment?

What makes you think the nfl thread will get special treatment?

Well, I certainly hope we can continue to create weekly threads like we have in the past. I guess if those are in Community vs. OT it doesn't really matter to me, provided I can find the damn thing. Is the SB "special" enough to be in OT vs. Community? That's the thing. Where is the line drawn on what is considered a special event? I consider every week of football special. It's possible that the mods don't agree with that.

eznark

Banned
These discussions are counterproductive. We'll start threads in normal OT and if they get moved so be it. At least for the short amount of time they are on OT they will draw attention and hopefully show people the threads exist.

I know it's counter to the hyper-insularity Evilore is so desperate to cultivate, but some of us would prefer to have fresh meat.

DirectTV isn't cable. Have your learned nothing from your 24/7 directtv media blitz
My fist isn't a brick, but were you near me right now you semantics playing mofo, you would hardly be able to tell the difference!

I actually pussied out and just suspended it for 3 months to see how it goes. I never really watch TV but having it on in the background is nice.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
No because only we care about it.

This is what I think he meant anyway. Every time someone asked him to clarify he said to read that post.

NFL Draft is a big event. Big events get their own thread.

Community threads are where people shoot the breeze and talk about random things while keeping a loose focus on the sport itself. The OT threads would seemingly be dedicated to events in the sport of football itself. At least that is how I understand it.

And yeah it would be nice if somebody actually clarified the stance instead of "read the post" which doesn't really help a whole lot.

eznark

Banned
NFL Draft is a big event. Big events get their own thread.

Community threads are where people shoot the breeze and talk about random things while keeping a loose focus on the sport itself. The OT threads would seemingly be dedicated to events in the sport of football itself. At least that is how I understand it.

And yeah it would be nice if somebody actually clarified the stance instead of "read the post" which doesn't really help a whole lot.

It can't be clarified because they are making it up as they go along. They'll know a community thread when they see it (basically, if it's a megathread a mod is interested in it stays in OT, if not, it goes to community). We just have to new thread first and have it moved later until the Great and Powerful Oz creates a more clear distinction.

Milchjon

Well, I dunno. I've always used GAF as a kind of news aggregator, where I could stumble about new stuff I never would've known about otherwise. In the last few years, huge megathreads that became subcommunities made that a lot harder, and the recent changes only made it worse.
GAF loses a lot of its appeal when serendipity and small discussions are forced out. I'd rather have days where every thread title in OT contains the word 'Apple' than 15 huge threads where we discuss a big complex of topics that I won't ever enter. This way I often learn about hugely interesting stuff a lot later than I would've several years ago...
Edit: Holy shit, South Dakota looks awesome.

Oh shit, I am cancelling DirecTV. Cutting the cord! On the phone right now, this is literally the first time in 30 years I'll be without cable.

I just this morning signed up for Sunday Ticket. Funny.

Well, I dunno. I've always used GAF as a kind of news aggregator, where I could stumble about new stuff I never would've known about otherwise. In the last few years, huge megathreads that became subcommunities made that a lot harder, and the recent changes only made it worse.
GAF loses a lot of its appeal when serendipity and small discussions are forced out. I'd rather have days where every thread title in OT contains the word 'Apple' than 15 huge threads where we discuss a big complex of topics that I won't ever enter. This way I often learn about hugely interesting stuff a lot later than I would've several years ago...
Edit: Holy shit, South Dakota looks awesome.

Yeah. Time was something would happen and GAF would have it instantly. Now whenever new news is posted some smartass just says "we knew about this in the x thread 2 days ago hurrrr.". You mean the thread that only 6 guys are reading?

JABEE

"it's approached on a case by case basis, but the gist is that when there is something to engage the general forum populace with, not just the community crowd"

Isn't that completely wishy-washy? I'd bet that a weekend of NFL games appeals to a larger group of Gaffers than 90% of all other threads. How are we supposed to know where the cutoff is? Is Bountygate interesting enough? Tim Tebow being a saint with limited football skills? The Lockout? And it also leads to a problem of "discussion fragmentation", where a single topic is discussed in several threads...

I guess I just assumed we'd keep the old model of weekly threads in Community. I hate continuous Megathreads and never really enter them, even if I'm interested in the topic. With weekly OTs, there was at least a clear point of reference every week that can help new visitors gain track and isn't half as imposing as for instance PoliGAF or SoccerGAF. The way the US sports threads were handled made it much easier for someone like me to start and participate...
Each NFL Week is a huge event. Look at the ratings it gets every Sunday. Also Big NFL Stories and Signings should get threads. Sports shouldn't take a back seat to everything else.

JABEE

No because only we care about it.

This is what I think he meant anyway. Every time someone asked him to clarify he said to read that post.

Sports in general are popular. They are big events that most are interested. That is why these threads being in OT Community with Pony and Furry Gaf only makes sense to people that see sports as "objectively meaningless." The NHL Draft, NBA Draft, NFL Draft, NHL Playoffs, NBA Playoffs, NFL Weeks/Playoffs/SuperBowl are like huge elections or E3 events on NeoGaf. The only reason they are off OT is because Sports threads are being deemed as lesser topics because NBA Gaf ruffled the feathers of the GAF Elite. I think threads should be made for sports news that rises above the level of importance of "dog pisses on steak" topics. Based on the existence of the industries created by sports and the universal appeal in most of popular culture of sports, there is no reason Sports threads should be relegated to the slums of these great discussion boards.

jakncoke

Banned
Man if we gotta go with mega OT's from now on that's going to blow dick. Ok lets figure out how many we'll need for regular season. Like 10-12k posts for week 2 and 6k or so for each week after = around 10 OT's but that's counting possible increase in postage or possible decrease which I foresee because of us not getting as many drive by posters.

Miguel

A weekly NFL GAF thread sees more posts in it than a large number of threads, there NEEDS to be one every week usually, or it'll become so massive that we'd start breaking the board (wasn't there some sort of limit where the threads get retarded in the database or something?)

As far as I'm concerned, we should continue as normal unless told otherwise. We're already relegated to the GAF ghetto 2.0, wasn't that the whole point of the move?

Also, I think the current situation since the move is all pretty stupid, and hopefully someone will have enough sense to either change it back, or think up something that doesn't suck.

Top Bottom