• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

tumblr_m4y5k7smO21qjhttjo1_500.jpg

snesfreak

Banned
Oh ok, I saw somewhere that they supposedly were. That's why I held off commenting on online initially, I haven't got around to reading the facts myself yet on that aspect. Don't want to bash without being informed, my bad.
If anything, it would be a parental control thing, where little Jimmy has to use friend codes or something.
Or something with Wii BC.

squicken

Hmm, it's not that difficult. Champions League is an annual thing for the league teams, and every 2 years there's a World Championship/Euro for the national teams. (Well, there's 4 years between every WC/Euro, but they're alternating)

Does Champions League overlap? Like if I was on Manchester and we won the Premiere League and then I switched teams in the offseason, would the Champions League conclude before the next season of Premiere League began?

And it seems to me as a distant observer that these leagues make no sense. There's two giant Spanish teams that always win. There that giant German team that always wins. I never hear anything about French soccer except their national team so idk. And I think there's like 4 dominant English teams.

So what's the point of being a fan of any team in Spain besides the big 2? Why don't they have like an Europe wide league where all the giant teams play each other instead of beating up on all the loser teams for 80% of their games?

Does Champions League overlap? Like if I was on Manchester and we won the Premiere League and then I switched teams in the offseason, would the Champions League conclude before the next season of Premiere League began?

And it seems to me as a distant observer that these leagues make no sense. There's two giant Spanish teams that always win. There that giant German team that always wins. I never hear anything about French soccer except their national team so idk. And I think there's like 4 dominant English teams.

So what's the point of being a fan of any team in Spain besides the big 2? Why don't they have like an Europe wide league where all the giant teams play each other instead of beating up on all the loser teams for 80% of their games?

Every country has a national team and a national competition (Like the MLS).

The National teams play a WC and a EC every alternating 2 years. So there is a EC now and in 2014 there will be another WC.

All the national competitions are from August to May, like the MLS. There, all the teams from different cities (from the same country) play each other twice over the season. If you win you get 3 points, if you tie you both get 1 and if you lose you get 0. And the person with the most points at the end of the season wins the national championship.

And then there are the tournaments on a European scale, like the Champions League. You qualify for the CL by performing well in your own competition. The CL is every year and runs simultaneous with the regular season. So that's something like your Euro wide league.

And then the question of 'So what's the point of being a fan of any team in Spain besides the big 2?'. What's the point of being a Bills fan? Or a Rams fan ?

Milchjon

Most of the CL takes place during the season, so if you win one season, you're playing in it during the next.

And now you've identified one of the reasons why I dislike soccer.

Although to be fair, Bayern hasn't won the Bundesliga in 2 seasons.

As for being a fan of those other teams, I guess that's like being a Browns fan. It's mostly a local thing. Until you say fuck it and become a Bayern fan.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Theres the Europa. It's like the Champions league only its for teams who werent as successful. So for La Liga its the top 3 teams that get into CL, the 4th makes the play-in, and 5th/6th make Europa. And then there are other events that smaller teams are trying to win like the Cup events and what not.

squicken

It's not impossible that the Rams or Browns win a SB in the next 5 years. The league finally corrected the draft so that teams picking early should gain an advantage.

But it seems like it's impossible for anyone besides Barcelona and Madrid to win the Spanish league

But that's what I mean by the champions league. I win the premier league in 2010 with Manchester. In the offseason I switch to Chelsea. So the Champions League in 2011, am I playing with Manchester in the CL, even though I'm no longer on that team?

squicken said:

I think you're misunderstanding what the Champions League is. The Champions League is a tournament that's held every year during the normal European club season(CL runs from October to May) that runs concurrently with the normal "leagues". Think of the Champions League as sort of a "Tournament of Champions", where all of the teams that did well in their regular leagues the previous season get to come and compete for the overall title of Champion of Europe.

As for the competitive balance issue, it's a real problem in European football, and its growing. You have clubs now that are more willing to spend exorbitant amount of money on buying players(more specifically paying the wages for the top players) and this destroys the wage market (a smaller team will now be less willing/likely to buy a good player, because they will demand the type of wages that only the bigger clubs will be willing to provide), which in turn to is knocking competitive balance out of whack. UEFA( Europe's top football body) has tried to counteract this by introducing strict penalties for teams that spend money irresponsibly(called Financial Fair Play), but those rules have yet to gone into full effect so you still teams (Chelsea in England comes to mind) that more liberal in their spending.

As for why people become fans of smaller clubs, a lot of that goes down to where you're from and who your family's rooted for. I see very few Americans jumping to become Malaga or Bayern Leverkussen (badly mispelled, I know, milch and Dutchie) supporters, but those are actually well-known clubs in their respective home cities. It's like why someone would choose to become a Jets fan even though they aren't the most successful club in their city.

squicken said:
But that's what I mean by the champions league. I win the premier league in 2010 with Manchester. In the offseason I switch to Chelsea. So the Champions League in 2011, am I playing with Manchester in the CL, even though I'm no longer on that team?

You'd be playing with Chelsea. Once you switch teams, you're completely on that team. If Chelsea failed to qualify for the Champions League in 2011, then you wouldn't be playing in the Champions League in 2011.

That's actually one of the bigger draws that clubs use when attracting new players. Since the Champions League is such a prestigious event (some would argue it is the most prestigious soccer tournament in the world), a club that will be able to play in it for the next season is much more favorable than one that won't

squicken

Ah, I think I get the CL thing. Chelsea the club won the Premier League. So when CL starts the following year, it's current team is what represents it. That's kind of weird, though. If you have a big player come in or leave. You aren't really the same team that won your home league.

I definitely understand why people would support a team from their town. But I think with TV and FIFA on XBOX, young kids aren't going to want to be Nottingham fans just b/c their dad is. 20 years ago it was okay to be a fan of Nottingham, b/c they had a chance to win if they manged themselves well. But now? Not really. This has been going on in the US with basketball since Michael Jordan. Look how many front running Heat and Lakers fans there are who have never been within a 100 miles of those towns

Do teams have minor leagues? How are rookies selected on to teams, or are they free to sign with whoever they wish?

Do you guys really think a veteran receiver like Chad Johnson simply couldn't "get" the playbook? That's bullshit. People trying to build the legend of Bill Belichik. Chad has just simply lost a step or two. His numbers were crashing well before he ever got to New England.

Talon

Do teams have minor leagues? How are rookies selected on to teams, or are they free to sign with whoever they wish?
The bigger teams have academies that they run. For example, Barcelona has La Masia, which is famous for having produced a good number of current players (Messi, Xavi, Pique, Iniesta, Fabregas, etc.). They'll pick up kids when they're around 14 or so, even younger, and they'll play for their youth team. Liverpool, Manchester United, Everton, etc. and their brother all have youth academies.

So kids don't play for colleges and get drafted. They're picked out at an early age as potential talents, and the youth academies develop talent.

There are minor leagues in a way. Certain teams have reserve squads that play at the second level (so the Coca-Cola Championship in the UK) or other leagues.

It's a truly free market system. Anybody is free to sign with anybody. Messi feels like he owes a debt to Barca, for example, because they took a shot, signed him and paid for his treatment due to a rare genetic disorder that stunted his growth. It wasn't completely altruistic on their end, of course, they considered him a great investment opportunity. It's paid off for both ends.

All the club have their own youth departments, Barcelona has a youth team of like 13 year olds, who play against 13 year olds from Real Madrid. They don't have a contract then so they can change teams all they like until they sign a contract, but of course if Barcelona scouts you to play in their youth team, a lot of young players will go there.

So basically every team can sign every player, no matter what age (unless they have a contract with another team).

MechDX

Do you guys really think a veteran receiver like Chad Johnson simply couldn't "get" the playbook? That's bullshit. People trying to build the legend of Bill Belichik. Chad has just simply lost a step or two. His numbers were crashing well before he ever got to New England.

Its that stupid "The patriot way" bullshit. Chad couldnt be Chad under Tom and the Bradyettes. Id take him as our #2 behind Dre in a heartbeat.

Milchjon

There's a whole league system with maybe 7-9 levels (in Germany). The worst teams in the Bundesliga fall to the 2nd league, the best of the second advance to the Bundesliga. The same goes for all othe levels, so you could theoretically fall from the Bundesliga to the Fifth League in a few years time.

There's no such thing as a "Rookie". There's youth leagues, and players can be signed by professional teams at pretty much any age. The youngest players in the Bundesliga are probably somewhere around 17, but most enter the league much later.

squicken

Thanks for all the info guys. That's crazy that kids can start playing "professionally" at such a young age. Do they still go to school? I also looked at that Financial Fair Play thing. I can't believe one player got sold for 80m Pounds (by snes' team). But it seems like those two Spanish teams are so big they get to negotiate their own TV deals, outside the league. So maybe they can afford it.

Is it worth it for a League B team to run up a lot of debt to try and get elevated? Are revenues a lot higher in League A? Like once you are in League A, do you immediately start getting a cut of the League A TV deal?

#QBQWITHAVAGINA

NFL owners going to make an agreement with bernard Pollard. He will be cut weekly only to sign with the team that plays the Pats the following week. Pats will be non-exisant by week 14

We don't need our starters to beat you guys and your sorry ass team, unless you start TJ.

#HEIFERSINTHEATER

Milchjon

Thanks for all the info guys. That's crazy that kids can start playing "professionally" at such a young age. Do they still go to school? I also looked at that Financial Fair Play thing. I can't believe one player got sold for 80m Pounds (by snes' team). But it seems like those two Spanish teams are so big they get to negotiate their own TV deals, outside the league. So maybe they can afford it.

Is it worth it for a League B team to run up a lot of debt to try and get elevated? Are revenues a lot higher in League A? Like once you are in League A, do you immediately start getting a cut of the League A TV deal?

The Spanish teams actually can't really afford it, they're hundreds of millions in debt. Other teams, often British, are owned by rich assholes that pay billions out of their own pocket, further skewing the leagues.

Lower league teams usually aren't allowed to rack up a lot of debt, at least in Germany. They need rich sponsors if they want to amount to anything.

The most money by far is earned in the Champions League.
Some teams financially depend on reaching it. Although A league TV money earnings have been on the rise, too.

One of the few things I have to give to Bayern, they're actually profitable and don't have to rely on outside money like most other big European clubs.

Man, just typing all that out reminds me how fucked the whole system is. The NFL may be somewhere between communism and a dictatorship, but at least it does its best to retain a good product/improve it.

snesfreak

Banned

You people.

Milchjon

I gotta admit, though, that I like the international competitions (WC/Euro). Those few precious weeks every two years where we can be unabashedly patriotic without feeling like Nazi enablers.

Schaub sexier than Brady.

Now that's just crazy talk.

Godslay

Banned
Applied for a new job last night. It was a VB/C# developer position. I have both the education and qualifications to fill the position. What's interesting is that, I went through the entire application process, and submitted everything required. I head to work this morning and get a rejection email.

I'm curious if anyone has dealt with this? I've tried to contact HR by phone but missed their rep, and sent an email off this evening. If they don't want to interview me, that's perfectly fine. I am just wondering if they have something that scans resumes/applications for keywords and rejects the one's that don't meet their buzzwords. Should I keep bugging their HR until I get a solid answer?

squicken

I gotta admit, though, that I like the international competitions (WC/Euro). Those few precious weeks every two years where we can be unabashedly patriotic without feeling like Nazi enablers.

I love international competitions as well (except the Summer Olympics), but it's weird here. Like people feel like it's lame to root for the the US. When Italy won the WC awhile back, they had this camera setup in NYC where all these people had gathered and were jumping up and down b/c they had a vowel at the end of their name

And lots of people were rooting for Canada vs the US in the Gold Medal hockey game. Or people hoping the basketball team would lose. Baffling

NAZI ENABLER!

I love this time of the year! For 1 month we can all act like we actually like the country we live in, act like drunken baboons dressed in orange and have a real reason to 'hate' you silly Germans.

Also, regarding your last posts, the problem with soccer is that it's a broken system and there is no way of fixing it (And the FIFA doesn't want to fix it).

You can buy succes in soccer, and with that succes you bought, you will make more money. So you will always be richer than everybody else in your division and you will always make more money. Unless some crazy Sheik or Russian billionaire buys your club, you will never be able become relevant. And thus the Ajaxes, The Bayerns and the Barcelonas will always win, and all the other clubs will be fighting for jack shit.

Plus the soccer doesn't evolve, not having goal line video technology is fucking ridiculous.

squicken

. And thus the Ajaxes, The Bayerns and the Barcelonas will always win, and all the other clubs will be fighting for jack shit.

Plus the soccer doesn't evolve, not having goal line video technology is fucking ridiculous.

That's what I was getting at earlier. Why should Barcelona and Madrid play 30 games in their domestic league and then only 10 in the CL? It seems to me they should just embrace the imbalance, and form a cross Europe league of all the big teams. You can still have the domestic leagues. They would just be what they are essentially now: feeder teams

They'd make a lot more money if Madrid played Chelsea 3 times a year instead of Toledo or whatever some other Spanish team is called

Far Cry 3 sounds crazy. I loved 2 but there were a lot of issues with the game. Looks like they're creating a real story out of this one. Could be cool.

Also, bewbs

Santonio so crazy..

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...w-york-jets-ends-practice-early-felt-overused

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that Holmes was “disgusted” and “bothered” today when he felt that the Jets’ coaches were working him too hard, that Holmes “staged a mini-meltdown” and that he “exchanged words with receivers coach Sanjay Lal.”

After the practice session, Holmes confirmed that he thought the coaches were asking too much of him and that he wanted to ease back into things after missing much of the Jets’ voluntary offseason work while visiting an Air Force base in Germany.

“I was talking to the coach, letting him understand it was too many reps today,” Holmes said. “I’ve been gone for a while, so I can’t be at full tempo like the rest of the guys and where they want us to be at.”

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
NAZI ENABLER!

I love this time of the year! For 1 month we can all act like we actually like the country we live in, act like drunken baboons dressed in orange and have a real reason to 'hate' you silly Germans.

Also, regarding your last posts, the problem with soccer is that it's a broken system and there is no way of fixing it (And the FIFA doesn't want to fix it).

You can buy succes in soccer, and with that succes you bought, you will make more money. So you will always be richer than everybody else in your division and you will always make more money. Unless some crazy Sheik or Russian billionaire buys your club, you will never be able become relevant. And thus the Ajaxes, The Bayerns and the Barcelonas will always win, and all the other clubs will be fighting for jack shit.

So, a traditional sport that is overly-reliant on cash flow and a refusal to get with the times?

HEY YOU NAZI BASTARD THAT'S OUR NATIONAL PASTTIME!

Buuuuut cooooach! It's hard making all that money to work out!

squicken

It's strange that all the big Italian teams are in the north. Well I understand that's where the money is, but who do the Romans support?

And it seems England has this whole other thing called the FA Cup. So a guy in England can be competing in the FA Cup, World Cup, UEFA Cup, and Champions League in a four year period? That's a lot of competitions

I'm revising my Avengers review down to meh

I agree that the big issue with the movie is the Hulk.

I'll spoiler tag in case anyone hasn't seen it.

They put him on the floating ship and have all this concern about him, and a special room for him. Loki actually lets himself get captured to get the Hulk to flip out and help destroy the ship. Hulk actually attacks the army on the ship, etc.

And then, miraculously, by the end of the movie he's fighting alongside the Avengers and perfectly calm with them instead of trying to rip everyone's head off.

squicken

"My job is to launch the system and to drive its installed base, and we're going to do that very effectively. And then hopefully that will create the opportunity for third parties to jump on board." -Reggie

That is crazy that he would actually say that in an interview. He's hoping for support?

I agree that the big issue with the movie is the Hulk.

I'll spoiler tag in case anyone hasn't seen it.

They put him on the floating ship and have all this concern about him, and a special room for him. Loki actually lets himself get captured to get the Hulk to flip out and help destroy the ship. Hulk actually attacks the army on the ship, etc.

And then, miraculously, by the end of the movie he's fighting alongside the Avengers and perfectly calm with them instead of trying to rip everyone's head off.

Nerd stuff imcoming:
Hulk can control himself if he initiates the change. Nobody was aware of this except banner, hence his "secret". He was wary to unleash it despite this.

Nerd stuff imcoming:
Hulk can control himself if he initiates the change. Nobody was aware of this except banner, hence his "secret". He was wary to unleash it despite this.

Would have been nice if they'd explained this. Was that in the Norton Hulk movie? I've seen it, but it's been so long that I didn't catch this nuance.

nateeasy

Banned
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Jets sign receiver quartet

The New York Jets today announced the signings of wide receivers Chad Ochocinco, Terrell Owens, Braylon Edwards, and Plaxico Burress to one year contracts. Each will make $2 million for the 2012 season.

According to Head Coach Rex Ryan, the Jets have little to lose in these signings. “We figure we have two quarterbacks that aren’t worth crap, so we might as well provide them with receivers that aren’t worth crap either. I know we have been asked about bringing in such head cases, but we figure our team chemistry probably couldn’t get worse, and if does we know that Plax is probably packing heat.”

In an unrelated move, the Jets have inquired with the Jacksonville Jaguars about trading for wide receiver Justin Blackmon and are considering a futures contract for former quarterback Ryan Leaf, pending his future release from prison. When asked about the signings, Jets’ owner Woody Johnson said, “I didn’t want to talk about Darrelle Revis’ contract anymore, so this seemed to be the easiest way to go.” Tim Tebow responded to our request for comment by simply telling us that he “is excited.”

squicken

Jeez squicken, you trash Nintendo almost as often as you squicken to a different team.

It's been a bad E3. In retrospect it was silly to think to Sony or MS would do anything in the last year of their consoles' lives (though Vita is a problem). But Nintendo really had a chance to plant a flag and let everyone know that next gen was here. And they have done a really bad job all week of selling that thing.

Am I reading that quote wrong, snes? It sure seems like a bad thing to say about a console that's nearing launch

snesfreak

Banned
It's been a bad E3. In retrospect it was silly to think to Sony or MS would do anything in the last year of their consoles' lives (though Vita is a problem). But Nintendo really had a chance to plant a flag and let everyone know that next gen was here. And they have done a really bad job all week of selling that thing.

Am I reading that quote wrong, snes? It sure seems like a bad thing to say about a console that's nearing launch
It is, but what are ya gonna do?
Just gotta hope there are things that haven't been announced yet.

Top Bottom