• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

BigAT

This is very accurate. To me she is so beautiful and sexy that it makes me furious. Its her facial expressions.

AND HER TITS!

kate-upton-its-a-wrap.gif

Milchjon

image.php

One of our beloved Bears fans just necrobumped a Bioshock Infinite thread and reminded me of the fact that this is probably the most intriguing game project right now. By far. Dunno if it's going to work like it's supposed to, but I'm looking forward to it.

effzee

What is Mama Robotnik's new alt?

And yeah, Nintendo sold me on buying a WiiU and I will buy every game they showed at the 3DS conference, except for Kingdom's Hearts because lol, fucking Kingdom Heart's.

Actually more than anything Nintendo showed (though I will own Pikmin 3 obviously) Ubisoft convinced me to buy the WiiU.

Assains Creed III would have bought for PS3 but now I might just get with the WiiU, assuming its at least the same game. ZombiU doesn't look graphically amazing but from the first hand impressions it sounds so fun and actually intense for a survival horror game. Fuck whatever RE has become now. And while I like the occasional shooter, the platformers are what I love, and WiiU will have Rayman at launch!

I still haven't played Arkham, though I have it waiting for the PS3, so I might just get the WiiU version if it offers anything unique other than an inventory screen.

Still not clear on what is going on with Madden on WiiU. This year would have been the only time Nintendo could have had possibly the best looking and playing Madden and it might not even get Madden this year. Major disappointment. Because starting next year with the new consoles, WiiU by default will get the shittiest version. I just don't get how they didn't have EA up there since supposedly EA is helping them build the online network and they of all developers could use the controller for Madden.

NintendoLand better be bundled with the system. No way that should cost $50.

Also the Eagles promoted Joe Banner. Meh don't know what it means or how it affects the FA/drafting. At this point I kinda don't care. He helped the Eagles become salary cap champs the past 15 years but like so what? Kinda burned out on the Eagles patting themselves on the back. Initially I thought he was let go and got excited for a second.

Actually more than anything Nintendo showed (though I will own Pikmin 3 obviously) Ubisoft convinced me to buy the WiiU.

Assains Creed III would have bought for PS3 but now I might just get with the WiiU, assuming its at least the same game. ZombiU doesn't look graphically amazing but from the first hand impressions it sounds so fun and actually intense for a survival horror game. Fuck whatever RE has become now. And while I like the occasional shooter, the platformers are what I love, and WiiU will have Rayman at launch!

I still haven't played Arkham, though I have it waiting for the PS3, so I might just get the WiiU version if it offers anything unique other than an inventory screen.

Still not clear on what is going on with Madden on WiiU. This year would have been the only time Nintendo could have had possibly the best looking and playing Madden and it might not even get Madden this year. Major disappointment. Because starting next year with the new consoles, WiiU by default will get the shittiest version. I just don't get how they didn't have EA up there since supposedly EA is helping them build the online network and they of all developers could use the controller for Madden.

NintendoLand better be bundled with the system. No way that should cost $50.

Also the Eagles promoted Joe Banner. Meh don't know what it means or how it affects the FA/drafting. At this point I kinda don't care. He helped the Eagles become salary cap champs the past 15 years but like so what? Kinda burned out on the Eagles patting themselves on the back. Initially I thought he was let go and got excited for a second.

They said during the Nintendo conference that Nintendoland will come with the system. Banner is done with the Eagles, the advisor thing is just Lurie being nice while Banner looks for a new job. He lost the power struggle with Ried/Roseman in the offseason.

snesfreak

Banned
Oh hi guys what's up?
Trying to convince me to stop liking Nintendo?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

bionic77

I think Madden was confirmed for WiiU (I could be wrong about that), but don't expect anything more than a shitty port. I don't think they will do anything more than have the playbook appear on your controller screen. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they were even too lazy to put that on it. It would be cool if you could draw up a play on the fly, but I don't think their shitty engine is up to the task.

I guess most of you guys live alone, but the feature of playing games on the controller while someone else uses the TV was the coolest thing about the system. The games appeal to me too because I love platformers, Pikmin and that P-100 game looks brilliant too. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that I like the WiiU concept so much since I loved the DS (my fav console last gen) and this is basically DS on steroids (think of the Packers SB defense).

I think Madden was confirmed for WiiU (I could be wrong about that), but don't expect anything more than a shitty port. I don't think they will do anything more than have the playbook appear on your controller screen. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they were even too lazy to put that on it. It would be cool if you could draw up a play on the fly, but I don't think their shitty engine is up to the task.

I guess most of you guys live alone, but the feature of playing games on the controller while someone else uses the TV was the coolest thing about the system. The games appeal to me too because I love platformers, Pikmin and that P-100 game looks brilliant too. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that I like the WiiU concept so much since I loved the DS (my fav console last gen) and this is basically DS on steroids (think of the Packers SB defense).

I dont live alone I just have 3 TVs hooked up in my living room so playing on a small screen in my living room does nothing for me. There was a rumor in the Vita thread that Madden Vita is just going to be a port of the ios version, so I wouldnt hold out much hope for Madden WiiU.

Fox318

Wow I could not disagree with this post more. How exactly has Nintendo hurt gaming? Just because they sold more units by doing something different? I mean if you want the same shit over and over again you have 3 options. 360, PS3 or PC (which is the best of the 3). If you want something essentially different the only choice left to us now that Sega and NEC and the other companies have checked out is Nintendo.
If I may retort you have more than 3 options in today's market. Android/iOS gaming is taking off more and more and streaming services like Onlive and pc subscription services have opened up the market for tons of choices. Many of which are very affordable :) .
And you are complaining that Nintendo is not making enough new IPs, unlike say God of War 4 or Gears of War 4 or Madden 2013? That is what the consuming public wants and I always found it really hypocritical of gamers to criticize Nintendo for doing what everyone else does. You just don't like Nintendo games, which is fine, but that is a total bullshit argument.
Sony, Microsoft, and other game makers have produced many new properties this console generation. They even produced new hardware to offer new game possibilities and for the most part have supported and continued to support their add-ons. Nintendo will release one hit plastic add-ons and never support them after the first go. Love or hate the Kinect/Move you can't deny that both companies have supported them and haven't just left it to die. And if you are referring to sequels such as the gears and gow series those games were new this console generation cycle (Gow towards the tail end of the ps2). What does Nintendo have to show for their new system? A tech demo theme park and a current generation Pikmin game?
And Nintendo holding the industry back? I mean Nintendo can't take credit for every advancement, but they can take credit for their share. Analog sticks, z targeting, motion controls (this is probably what you were complaining about, albeit poorly), and other things that I am forgetting that have also been industry firsts.

Most of those advancements were done on hardware that was at least comparable to the compition in some way or at least you could look at from a gaming perspective and see a benefit. While the real reason Nintendo may have stuck with cartrages for the N64 was to lower costs it allowed them to have fast or zero loading times. And motion controls have done little to move gaming forward compared to Analog sticks, I would argue multi-touch screens have done more than motion controls.

I mean what exactly are you trying to open SNES's mind to? He is a Nintendo fanboy. Why does it bother you that he likes their games, which are more often than not genius and amazingly well crafted. As long as Nintendo keeps giving us shit like Mario Galaxy and Kid Icarus then I am going to keep buying their consoles because that is the only place I can get it.

I'm just trying to help the elderly. Can somebody explain what the love and attachment is to Kid Icarus? I missed that out on my NES. I feel like if it wasn't for Brawl he wouldn't be nearly as well loved as he is today.

Your arguments sound liked the same tired shit I heard in the 90s when me and my friends were too poor to own more than one console and had to justify our own purchases. I think it is you that has to open up your mind and get a second job so you can own various consoles and experience what they have to offer.

Where does income factor into anything I said? As far as I'm concerned Nintendo trys to run their company like Apple (the bulk of their profit comes from hardware) with the difference that Apple releases new things every year and depending on you opinion releases some of the best hardware and software in their market.

I have hundreds of console games. With PC I mainly limited it to: Sim city, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Descent, Heretic, Doom 2, Need for Speed 1-6, and Touhou shmup games.
Thats literally it. Oh wait, also Eversion.

Guessing you like gog too :) I just wish they had some good co-op games.

cashman

Banned
Bernie Kosar was 29 when Belichick let him go. Weeden is 28. 'nuff said.

Well, Slick Hick Rick decided to run a budget deficit for the first time in Texas state history, and now the schools are all fucked up because he decided to run into education to tear out some money.

Let us note that there is a clause in the Texas state Constitution that says the budget must be balanced every year.

Words cannot describe how much I fucking hate that guy.

There's nothing wrong with loving Nintendo games, the issue is that it makes no sense to buy a Wii U unless you're willing to spend hundreds on just first party games...AGAIN. The hardware is once again inferior so no one is going to choose to get the Wii U version of a game when they can get a superior version on the next xbox or PS. It's the Wii all over again. Third parties have not show a willingness to make exclusive games for Nintendo systems and that's a huge problem. It's ridiculous to buy a system just for a handful of first party games over the entire lifespan of a system. If Nintendo cannot get third parties on board in making exclusives, they need to recognize they just don't have what it takes to make it as a hardware developer anymore and go the SEGA route. What does everyone think of when they think Nintendo? Fantastic games, right? Why not just focus on what they do best? The could then concentrate on coming up with new IP's or even pump out more iterations of the classics faster. It just doesn't make any sense to create new hardware when you're consistently behind the technology curve.

That said, I can see why they do it as they have some "innovative" ideas they want to implement like the wii mote last time around. The Wii still sold really well so that supports their effort moving forward into this round. They lost many of their core fans, however and many people are weary of the Wii U as a result. The Wii U will be a nice test to see how they will do going forth. If it fails, they'll hopefully finally get that wake up call. It would be amazing if their failure caused them to go the software only route. Then everyone could get their Nintendo game fix without wasting money or shelf space on a system that would be used for nothing else and on a system of superior technology in either the future Xbox's or PS's, whatever they choose. I want to keep playing Mario and Zelda, but the principle of the matter really gets to me. I regret buying the Wii and money has absolutely nothing to do with it.

cashman

Banned
There's nothing wrong with loving Nintendo games, the issue is that it makes no sense to buy a Wii U unless you're willing to spend hundreds on just first party games...AGAIN. The hardware is once again inferior so no one is going to choose to get the Wii U version of a game when they can get a superior version on the next xbox or PS. It's the Wii all over again. Third parties have not show a willingness to make exclusive games for Nintendo systems and that's a huge problem. It's ridiculous to buy a system just for a handful of first party games over the entire lifespan of a system. If Nintendo cannot get third parties on board in making exclusives, they need to recognize they just don't have what it takes to make it as a hardware developer anymore and go the SEGA route. What does everyone think of when they think Nintendo? Fantastic games, right? Why not just focus on what they do best? The could then concentrate on coming up with new IP's or even pump out more iterations of the classics faster. It just doesn't make any sense to create new hardware when you're consistently behind the technology curve.

That said, I can see why they do it as they have some "innovative" ideas they want to implement like the wii mote last time around. The Wii still sold really well so that supports their effort moving forward into this round. They lost many of their core fans, however and many people are weary of the Wii U as a result. The Wii U will be a nice test to see how they will do going forth. If it fails, they'll hopefully finally get that wake up call. It would be amazing if their failure caused them to go the software only route. Then everyone could get their Nintendo game fix without wasting money or shelf space on a system that would be used for nothing else and on a system of superior technology in either the future Xbox's or PS's, whatever they choose. I want to keep playing Mario and Zelda, but the principle of the matter really gets to me. I regret buying the Wii and money has absolutely nothing to do with it.

It's hardware is inferior again? I thought Nintendo promised a high powered system for the next gen.

Also, don't they still make a profit out of the systems. I doubt they will go hardware only.

squicken

Oh Fox you so crazy.
And I don't think N64 had carts to save money, they were a LOT more expensive than CDs.

Do you remember the pre-E3 stuff where you told us that there was no way that the WiiU would be sub-PS3 in terms of horsepower? What happened there?

cajunator

Banned
The wiiU will definitely be more capable than Ps360, but probably not by much at all.
However at this point, Ps360 already looks pretty damned good. Judging by high end PC games, I dont see the gulf in graphical quality like last gen with everything being HD now.
The WiiU will be capable of displaying just about anything the next gen other consoles will, but possibly at lower poly counts, but even then it will obviously be capable of everything this gen, and thats plenty good enough, unless there is new technology that allows for another tier of graphical quality entirely.

snesfreak

Banned
NSMB isn't going to be a graphical showcase.
Batman and ACIII are ports, and unfinished ports at that.
Pikmin was a Wii game, and may look better before it's done.
Ninendoland is like Wii Sports, a showoff for the controller not the system's graphics.

I've heard that maybe devs didn't have enough time with the final dev kits to fully take advantage of the hardware.

Something about the 32MB of EDRam not being used or something.

Wait till we see a real Mario game, like Galaxy.
Or Zelda, or Retro's game.
THAT will show off the system's power.
Why wouldn't porting a PS3 game on to more powerful hardware look better than the PS3 version of the game?
Because they didn't make it look better?

Except it's not Wii all over again.
I was hoping that would be the case when they first announced way back that they were going HD. I thought to myself, third parties will finally feel compelled to make games for them again! It was always sad to see that a game wouldn't be made for the Wii because the developer didn't want to have to make a lower grade version of their game for the Wii to play it. Sadly, this new HD Wii U doesn't look to be much more powerful than the 360 and PS3 which means it will be trounced again tech wise when the other two companies come out with their next product. Their only hope is that the other two systems won't be as powerful as expected and will be in the same ball park and that's very doubtful. Now it will be different from the Wii in that companies will make the game for all three systems this time around which is great, but as I stated in the last post, why would you get the Wii U version if the other two clearly have better graphics and or run better?

Edit: I don't mean to sound like I don't think Wii U games won't look great, I know E3 has no bearing on anything. I'm only speaking relative to how the PS4 and Xbox3 will make games look and comparing their specs to the Wii U's.

snesfreak

Banned
I was hoping that would be the case when they first announced way back that they were going HD. I thought to myself, third parties will finally feel compelled to make games for them again! It was always sad to see that a game wouldn't be made for the Wii because the developer didn't want to have to make a lower grade version of their game for the Wii to play it. Sadly, this new HD Wii U doesn't look to be much more powerful than the 360 and PS3 which means it will be trounced again tech wise when the other two companies come out with their next product. Their only hope is that the other two systems won't be as powerful as expected and will be in the same ball park and that's very doubtful. Now it will be different from the Wii in that companies will make the game for all three systems this time around which is great, but as I stated in the last post, why would you get the Wii U version if the other two clearly have better graphics and or run better?
The biggest difference is that Wii U is using modern hardware, which makes porting games even from more powerful systems a lot easier.
They won't have to completely rewrite their engines for hardware designed in 1999.

Nothing shown so far is really showing that it's more capable.
Supposedly it has some custom features in the GPU or something.

cajunator

Banned
Im playing Xenoblade on the Wii right now, and its blatantly obvious that developers werent even trying because it looks gorgeous and expansive for an SD game. If something doesnt look good on wiiU at this point its because the developers didnt give a shit.

Snesfreak said:
The biggest difference is that Wii U is using modern hardware, which makes porting games even from more powerful systems a lot easier.
That's pure conjecture at this point though. No official specifications have been released for the hardware as far as I can tell and what's out there is a rumored leak (which shows capable but hardly blow your socks off hardware). Also, we have absolutely no idea what the specifications are going to be for Sony or Microsoft's next gen consoles and what those titles are going to bring to the table. I'm not looking to knock Nintendo here but neither you or I know whether the Wii U will be capable of handling next generation ports of not.

snesfreak

Banned
Im playing Xenoblade on the Wii right now, and its blatantly obvious that developers werent even trying because it looks gorgeous and expansive for an SD game. If something doesnt look good on wiiU at this point its because the developers didnt give a shit.
It's probably budget related for most ports.
They just get it running at least as good as the other versions.
That's pure conjecture at this point though. No official specifications have been released for the hardware as far as I can tell and what's out there is a rumored leak (which shows capable but hardly blow your socks off hardware). Also, we have absolutely no idea what the specifications are going to be for Sony or Microsoft's next gen consoles and what those titles are going to bring to the table. I'm not looking to knock Nintendo here but neither you or I know whether the Wii U will be capable of handling next generation ports of not.
Well perhaps, but it still won't be a Wii situation as the biggest problem was the Wii's GPU not being able to run modern engines.
A lot of it depends on the GPU's features, rather than just raw power.

The WiiU is a lot like the Bucs -- sure it's got a fat minority jumping over a bunch of goombas and running to the end zone but good games only happen about 3 times a year so no good players want to go there except some busted up old people.

snesfreak

Banned
The WiiU is a lot like the Bucs -- sure it's got a fat minority jumping over a bunch of goombas and running to the end zone but good games only happen about 3 times a year so no good players want to go there except some busted up old people.
Shouldn't you be listening to a band no one's ever heard of?

Fox318

gol15.jpg

I can't wait to play as Freeman in Mario Party U.

edit:

also "no one's ever heard of" sounds like a hipster band name.

bionic77

If I may retort you have more than 3 options in today's market. Android/iOS gaming is taking off more and more and streaming services like Onlive and pc subscription services have opened up the market for tons of choices. Many of which are very affordable :) .

Sony, Microsoft, and other game makers have produced many new properties this console generation. They even produced new hardware to offer new game possibilities and for the most part have supported and continued to support their add-ons. Nintendo will release one hit plastic add-ons and never support them after the first go. Love or hate the Kinect/Move you can't deny that both companies have supported them and haven't just left it to die. And if you are referring to sequels such as the gears and gow series those games were new this console generation cycle (Gow towards the tail end of the ps2). What does Nintendo have to show for their new system? A tech demo theme park and a current generation Pikmin game?

Most of those advancements were done on hardware that was at least comparable to the compition in some way or at least you could look at from a gaming perspective and see a benefit. While the real reason Nintendo may have stuck with cartrages for the N64 was to lower costs it allowed them to have fast or zero loading times. And motion controls have done little to move gaming forward compared to Analog sticks, I would argue multi-touch screens have done more than motion controls.

I'm just trying to help the elderly. Can somebody explain what the love and attachment is to Kid Icarus? I missed that out on my NES. I feel like if it wasn't for Brawl he wouldn't be nearly as well loved as he is today.

Where does income factor into anything I said? As far as I'm concerned Nintendo trys to run their company like Apple (the bulk of their profit comes from hardware) with the difference that Apple releases new things every year and depending on you opinion releases some of the best hardware and software in their market.

Guessing you like gog too :) I just wish they had some good co-op games.
Too much to respond to.

Technically Nintendo did produce Wii Sports and some other new IPs. I actually liked Wii sports so I am in the minority, but it was something new and something we had never seen before and was entirely copied by both MS and Sony. I didn't try Wii Fit (which was not that new and I thought it was crap, but it was at least different).

And as for Kid Icarus. It was a cool, but honestly not that great, game on the NES that was really wacky and different at the time. It was hard as fuck. My love isn't for the old game but the new 3DS game which is fucking amazing amazing. It is hard to describe what it is, but it is just amazingly fun and everything that I like about videogames.

Btw, I do agree that nothing Nintendo showed was mindblowing on the WiiU. I am not interested in Nintendoland. I do like the concept of the controller and some of the games shown, but I can understand why a lot of people are not into it. But to be perfectly honest gamers are mostly stupid. They will come up with the lamest arguments to justify their tastes and fanboyisms. A lot of the same people who criticized the motion controls on the Wii also lined up and bought a Kinect (which similarly is now probably collecting dust).

I do think you are holding Nintendo to a standard to which other companies are not held and that is because they do things differently. The one other thing I will say is that Nintendo did get a shit load of 3rd party support, but it was on the DS and 3DS and it was mostly japanese. Western devs for whatever reason are probably never going to support Nintendo. For WiiU fans their best hope is that the Japanese companies catch up tech wise and put out some great shit on the Wii because I bet it does well in Japan at the very least. Who the fuck knows though, I haven't played it myself and I might end up hating it.

Milchjon

Ian Rapoport's Twitter said:
Sources: The NFL has been at the #Saints facility poring over film of OTAs & mini-camps following yesterday's fight. Looking into "contact"

Has there ever been a team with such a shitty offseason before? :jnc

Top Bottom