• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

Talon

I find the Giant Bomb guys embarrassing.

Almost as embarrassing on a video game forum.
I am, if anything, self-aware.

@Eznark
*shrug* I get it. I said close from the perspective of social views. Obviously the cut cut cut man doesn't jive with the modern perspective of moderate republicans. Rockefeller Republicans don't exist anymore.

eznark

Banned
@Eznark
*shrug* I get it. I said close from the perspective of social views. Obviously the cut cut cut man doesn't jive with the modern perspective of moderate republicans. Rockefeller Republicans don't exist anymore.

You say "he's no Rand Paul" but really, he is. Aside from the fact that Rand Paul is a cowardly bitch who endorsed Romney.

LJ11

This is actually my real concern with America. I hate to over compliment our Hitler loving German GAFfers, but their CEOs would never think of trying to get a $30m salary from their company. Or go state to state pitting them against each other over tax breaks for new production facilities. They would consider it immoral and obscene.

Same with their rank and file workforce. They may be heavily unionized, but their primary function isn't to minimize actual work time, maximize every possible benefit and salary, and shield all workers from the consequence of basic incompetence.

For whatever reason, Americans view their government and employers as piggy banks and shun all personal responsibility. I've always understood the ez idea of just making the piggy bank smaller to solve the problem of people reaching in it, but it seems like we should be better than that

Germany broke the backs of unions, not entirely mind you, in order to get that country moving forward. Now they have less full time workers than they did two decades ago and more than double the part time workers over the same period. Throw in allegations of bribes to union bosses to get them to fold up, and they're not exactly the model.

I bet if we look up work hours for a high quality union job in Germany, they're not pulling more than 35 hours. They're being more efficient on the backs of part time workers/contractors.

You combine the decreased labor costs with a lower effective exchange rate and you get the growth they've had. They didn't start the last decade off on the right foot, quite a turnaround, but lets see how they do when their currency is no longer undervalued.

effzee

Yeah he was definitely forced out. Everything I have heard is that he wanted Ried gone, supposedly even a lot of what he said before last year about the Eagles having the most talent was to put pressure on Ried. This offseason Lurie decided to put Roseman in charge of players signing and the draft and that left Banner with nothing to do. Banner even talked about how he no long had any responsibilities with the team starting this offseason. I can see how having less cooks involved could be a good thing, but Banner is by far the best guy at managing the cap in the NFL. I think this will be a big loss.

Best guy managing the cap but does that really matter nowadays? We have won salary cap champions numerous times but still come up short. We claim to have to the ability to sign anyone and everyone but only once aggressively approached FA. And the Eagles are not the only team that manages the cap well. A lot of team do. And even team that don't, like the Skins, still wheel and deal and sign who they want. Yes its better to be run like the Eagles than the Skins, but what Banner has done is not some miraculous achievement not mirrored by other managers.

In fact some other teams both manage the cap, draft better, and win championships!

There have also been numerous reports over the years that he is incredibly difficult to deal with when it comes to negotiations and that he has too much power for a number cruncher with no real football knowledge. Now like I said before I don't know how much of the blame for past failures falls on his shoulders. I blame Reid a lot more than you do for the mistakes that been made. But some people speculate Banner has had a bigger hand.

I don't know. At this point I don't even know if I care. I know Reid is back so the offense will still be zany as hell. Castillo, unfortunately, is still masquerading around a s D-Coordinator. And despite the owner publicly calling the last four wins useless, both Reid and Eagles PR has been selling those wins as a sign of what is to come.

I guess to me some change, any at this point, is welcomed. They tweak and change the roster every year but largely the FO and power structure has remained untouched. Reid better be next if he doesn't win a SB this season.

Of course it could also mean that since Banner is gone now, Reid has another 5 years before he is even considered for termination.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Germany broke the backs of unions, not entirely mind you, in order to get that country moving forward. Now they have less full time workers than they did two decades ago and more than double the part time workers over the same period. Throw in allegations of bribes to union bosses to get them to fold up, and they're not exactly the model.

I bet if we look up work hours for a high quality union job in Germany, they're not pulling more than 35 hours. They're being more efficient on the backs of part time workers/contractors.

You combine the decreased labor costs with a lower effective exchange rate and you get the growth they've had. They didn't start the last decade off on the right foot, quite a turnaround, but lets see how they do when their currency is no longer undervalued.

Isn't the Euro sinking like a rock?

Or are you talking about after Southern Europe gets lopped off and the Eurozone is effectively all of Northern Europe?

Fox318

They are still growing but okay.
I'll buy that they are growing when they actually hire new writers. Or hell when was the last time Ryan, Brad, or Jeff wrote something that wasn't a short review.
They just moved to a new company like a month ago and they had to rebuy all of their equipment and stuff right?

Not that that justifies it if you feel you're not getting your money's worth (I paid too), but I'd imagine they're just getting their bearings back. If there wasnt Giant Bomb, I wouldnt view any video game websites at all besides neogaf anyway. The general content that they provide justifies the subscription for me anyway since Im on that site all the time. Maybe you dont get as much stuff as you used to, but oh well.

They didn't move to a new company they fled to a new company. There were rumors of almost all of the Staff taking pay cuts and I belive they mentioned that the only thing that keept them afloat If they were really bought out don't you think they would at least have some equipment on hand? I find it hard to believe that CBS has to wait almost half a year to get a tricaster and other equipment.

I honestly feel that's why they have become so dev friendly of recent. I just like to look at the first thing Patrick said about Need for Speed at this press conference. He wasn't talking about this game his first comment was about how he believe EA milked the franchise and how Criterion was being mean saying they brought the series back. I think sometimes they forget that their target audience isn't just video game community managers.

also

PlwaE.jpg

Lvqn0.jpg

LJ11

Isn't the Euro sinking like a rock?

Or are you talking about after Southern Europe gets lopped off and the Eurozone is effectively all of Northern Europe?

Even within the EMU Germany has a "cheaper currency" than most if not all of its neighbors/members because they're labor costs are lower relative to their EMU competitors, so they have a real exchange rate that puts them in a favorable situation, hence the large growth in exports

But yeah, I'm expecting the Euro to go away.

squicken

I thought the trade off on the reduced hours was basically the government paying their companies to pay unemployment benefits directly to reduced hours workers? I had not heard the bribe stuff so I'm clearly out of my league on the more intricate details of German politics.

I'll buy that they are growing when they actually hire new writers. Or hell when was the last time Ryan, Brad, or Jeff wrote something that wasn't a short review.

They didn't move to a new company they fled to a new company. There were rumors of almost all of the Staff taking pay cuts and I belive they mentioned that the only thing that keept them afloat If they were really bought out don't you think they would at least have some equipment on hand? I find it hard to believe that CBS has to wait almost half a year to get a tricaster and other equipment.

I honestly feel that's why they have become so dev friendly of recent. I just like to look at the first thing Patrick said about Need for Speed at this press conference. He wasn't talking about this game his first comment was about how he believe EA milked the franchise and how Criterion was being mean saying they brought the series back. I think sometimes they forget that their target audience isn't just video game community managers.

also

http://i.imgur.com/PlwaE.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Lvqn0.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

I meant they are still getting a growing number of visitors. They were actually saying how with whiskey they could just go on amazon and order something but now they have to go through a bunch of people. They just got their tricaster right before e3 and are now building their own set at the new offices since they had to move people around.

squicken

I honestly feel that's why they have become so dev friendly of recent. I just like to look at the first thing Patrick said about Need for Speed at this press conference. He wasn't talking about this game his first comment was about how he believe EA milked the franchise and how Criterion was being mean saying they brought the series back. I think sometimes they forget that their target audience isn't just video game community managers.]

There are so few games that drive traffic. It was always that way but it's even worse now b/c there are even fewer games. If you want access, you have to play ball. It's not even like a moneyhat joke. It's just the accepted reality.

LJ11

I thought the trade off on the reduced hours was basically the government paying their companies to pay unemployment benefits directly to reduced hours workers? I had not heard the bribe stuff so I'm clearly out of my league on the more intricate details of German politics.

Part-time/temp workers get assistance but they're having trouble getting full-time employment which may eventually lead to a promotion and a higher paying job. I've also read stories about part timers who entered the full time market and ended up earning less after tax income than they did as a part timer with assistance. I'm not an expert on the Hartz reforms, it does seems that there's a growing inequality in Germany however.

Seimens, Volkwagen immediately come to mind when it comes to bribes.

Zee-Row

Banned
NFL Live on ESPN should be renamed "the same 4 teams" because the only thing they seem to talk about is the Patriots , Jets , Giants and 49ers.

TheFatOne

I know this is late, but it's nice to see Gronk got the extension. Do any of you guys think Ocho is going to make it past training camp? Because I think he is going to be one of the first guys to be cut.

Edit: Am I late did Ocho already get cut?

Double Edit: Ohh damn he was cut. Not surprised there. Cincy definitely fleeced the Pats on that deal.

I know this is late, but it's nice to see Gronk got the extension. Do any of you guys think Ocho is going to make it past training camp? Because I think he is going to be one of the first guys to be cut.

Edit: Am I late did Ocho already get cut?

Ocho got cut yesterday.

TheFatOne

Ocho got cut yesterday.

Man I'm so behind on Pats news. Haven't really kept up with the Pats since the draft. Not surprised he was cut. Early on there were reports/rumors that he still didn't know the offense. That is just mind blowing. Had a full year, and he still didn't get it.

I hear the Saints gave Brees a new contract offer yesterday.

I for one, fully support Drew holding out for as long as he needs to to get his money.
If the cheapskate Saints aren't willing to pay you Drew, then say fuck them.

Don't give in to the Man, Drew! Fight the Power!

snesfreak

Banned
I hear the Saints gave Brees a new contract offer yesterday.

I for one, fully support Drew holding out for as long as he needs to to get his money.
If the cheapskate Saints aren't willing to pay you Drew, then say fuck them.

Don't give in to the Man, Drew! Fight the Power!
I'm agreeing with a Kitties fan, 2012 end of days!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm agreeing with a Kitties fan, 2012 end of days!

That's like Packers and Vikings fans hating on Cutler or Vikings/Bears/Packers fans pointing out that it might make the off-season less complicated for the Lions if they just held practice at the state penitentiary.

Top Bottom