• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

Fox318

Looking at Cities XL because it's $10 on steam. I really like the description.

As a SimCity fan, should I pick it up, or will I hate it?

I have XL 2011.

If you are looking for a city building fix now go for it. But people have told me in the steam thread to stay away.

But there are some flaws and the game really takes its time to get going.

You won't be upset for $10 but I can't say you will be happy either.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Thanks. I'll skip it and get the Civ expansion pack.

Everyone make sure to watch the guy high wire over Niagara Falls!

Fuck. Now that's an SUV.

lamborghini-urus-rear-view.jpg

Slo

2000 is really good, 3000 is really good, 4 is complicated but fun and you need a super computer to run it.
2000 was the first PC version I had (got it when I got my old shitty 486.)

I don't know.

Isn't there a Simcity 5 out there? Two much for her? I will probably grab one of the ones you recommend.

bionic77

I haven't played Sim City in forever.

Never got back into the game once I got hooked on Civ 2. Damn Civ was such a a great game. I was so addicted to it in college I would choose Civ over women, bball and going out in general for a very pathetic 2 weeks of my life.

Jimmy Fallon just did a demo of Madden, playing as Tebow :jnc

I havent bought Madden in so long. I just dont understand how they manage to put out such a shitty stale product every year when NCAA football is consistently a good or solid game with new additions every year...

My biggest gripe with madden is its complete lack of a passable Franchise mode. If NCAA can get Dynasty mode done so well why cant they put something into Madden like it?

Makes no got damn sense.

eznark

Banned
I can't post and exercise at the same time (or else it ends up being a shitty workout), but I post and read GAF all the time thanks to the iPhone.

It sucks posting on the iPhone though. Reading is just fine thanks to the mobile app, which is amazing.

The best part about a gym in the house is that no one bitches when I take too long on the bench because I am checking my phone.

Talon

Bionic, were you at Camden Yards last night?

Orioles fans started a "Pittsburgh sucks" chant. Then a guy in a Pirates uniform stood up in the front and started flipping off the crowd yelling "SIX RINGS. SIX RINGS. SIX RINGS. HOW MANY YOU GOT?" Then he started gyrating towards the crowd.

He looked too happy to be resident grumpelstiltskin Deac.

bionic77

The best part about a gym in the house is that no one bitches when I take too long on the bench because I am checking my phone.
I can't argue with that. I hate going to the gym but I love working out.

Bionic, were you at Camden Yards last night?

Orioles fans started a "Pittsburgh sucks" chant. Then a guy in a Pirates uniform stood up in the front and started flipping off the crowd yelling "SIX RINGS. SIX RINGS. SIX RINGS. HOW MANY YOU GOT?" Then he started gyrating towards the crowd.

He looked too happy to be resident grumpelstiltskin Deac.
I don't believe in baseball.

It is common knowledge that Jordan was a role player to Scottie Pippen and Steve Kerr. Both whom got further in the playoffs (Kerr even won some more rings) than Jordan (when not playing with each other).

Jets looking to shift to a four man front moving forward to help generate more pressure:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/je...-of-the-defense-and-play-more-four-man-fronts

Although the Jets will retain some of those 3-4 roots, Pettine admitted that “we’re going to be more 4-3” to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks in 2012. The Jets have finished 18th, 7th and 17th in the league in sacks under Ryan.

Pettine went so far as to predict that the Jets may not play any 3-4 base defense in their six AFC East games that feature three teams with spread offenses. “We might not play a snap of base defense in a division game this year,” Pettine told me. “If it’s five snaps a game, that’s probably a lot.”

So many teams use hybrid fronts or switch off between the two that it's not too surprising but it'll be interesting to see what they do with Coples.

MechDX

Pete Prisco at CBS Sports does his own top 100 players list and rips on NFLN at the same time:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...yers-no-influence-here-other-than-scouts-film

This list of the top 100 players in the NFL isn't the same as some of the others you will see.

You won't see a fullback.

You won't see a kneel-down-and-pray quarterback who plays like a fullback on this list in an attempt to draw in eyeballs.

You won't see some pet-project guard who, through television broadcast reviews and number crunching, some say had his best season.

Nope, this is my list. It's based on eyes (mine), ears (listening to scouts) and hours of watching tape.

If you're looking for conventional lists, look elsewhere. You won't find Tim Tebow, nor would you find him in my list of the top 300 players in the NFL. You also won't like where some of the perceived stars are placed and, yes, I still think Troy Polamalu is overrated.

This is a list based on actual football evaluation heading into the 2012 season. Injured stars who are out for the season -- or likely out for the season -- won't be on this list. That means Eagles tackle Jason Peters and Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs, two sure top-20 players, aren't included.

So dig in and enjoy. And compare it to those other lists out there and get as fired up as you want.

It's just an opinion. So don't beat me up too badly.

bionic77

Jets looking to shift to a four man front moving forward to help generate more pressure:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/je...-of-the-defense-and-play-more-four-man-fronts

So many teams use hybrid fronts or switch off between the two that it's not too surprising but it'll be interesting to see what they do with Coples.
That is weird.

I thought Ryan's whole thing was coming up with formations and different lineups to create pressure on the qb? Now he is simplifying it to just put 4 guys on the LOS?

Talon

That is weird.

I thought Ryan's whole thing was coming up with formations and different lineups to create pressure on the qb? Now he is simplifying it to just put 4 guys on the LOS?
I guess he got tired of proving his brilliance with 0 down or 1 down linemen formations.

I guess Rob Ryan is going to be all alone blowing leads to the Giants when his own players get confused.

The NFLN list also features Vonta Leach.

I could see putting Leach on a top 100 list (though nowhere near as high as he was put) but John Kuhn being on there is mindblowing. It screams "The Packers won the Super Bowl so let's cram as many guys as we can on there"

Surprisingly though, one hit wonder BJ Raji is nowhere on the list.

Draxal

I could see putting Leach on a top 100 list (though nowhere near as high as he was put) but John Kuhn being on there is mindblowing. It screams "The Packers won the Super Bowl so let's cram as many guys as we can on there"

Surprisingly though, one hit wonder BJ Raji is nowhere on the list.

Agreed, in order for a fullback to be placed so high on the list your team has to be a powerhouse running team, and the Packers were definetely not one.

He's got the Giants placings about right (I think Manning should be higher than Paul just based on position, but that's nickpicking). Nicks is definetely the better receiver than Cruz.

He's not slamming Tebow twice. He's slamming John Kuhn.

Squicken isn't wrong, he slammed Tebow twice after slamming Kuhn.

The Top 100 thing is confusing as hell to me. It's supposed to be a "if you were making a team in 2012...who are the top 100 players you would take". The problem is that the first 10-15 players taken in that type of situation are going to be QB's so the list is sort of stupid from the get-go. If it was a Top 100 players based on the previous years performance - I would sort of understand that more and you could argue that certain players at certain positions should be higher based on the previous years play.

The other part of it is they make a point on NFLN of saying that the list isn't representative of the players entire career achievements and yet you have the talking heads going on about the cumulative careers of the player in question being a reason why they should be listed higher etc. It's really just a stupid concept...

Fox318

The Top 100 thing is confusing as hell to me. It's supposed to be a "if you were making a team in 2012...who are the top 100 players you would take". The problem is that the first 10-15 players taken in that type of situation are going to be QB's so the list is sort of stupid from the get-go. If it was a Top 100 players based on the previous years performance - I would sort of understand that more.

The other part of it is they make a point on NFLN of saying that the list isn't representative of the players entire career and yet you have the talking heads going on about the cumulative careers of the player in question being a reason why they should be listed higher etc. It's really just a stupid concept...

I'd take Revis over most QBs.

Fox318 said:
I'd take Revis over most QBs.
If you ran a team starting from scratch and were drafting from a pool of NFL players (for the sake of the topic, the supposed top 100 players) and you had a top 10 pick - you're pick would be a CB over a QB?

The Top 100 thing is confusing as hell to me. It's supposed to be a "if you were making a team in 2012...who are the top 100 players you would take". The problem is that the first 10-15 players taken in that type of situation are going to be QB's so the list is sort of stupid from the get-go. If it was a Top 100 players based on the previous years performance - I would sort of understand that more.

The other part of it is they make a point on NFLN of saying that the list isn't representative of the players entire career and yet you have the talking heads going on about the cumulative careers of the player in question being a reason why they should be listed higher etc. It's really just a stupid concept...

This is why I think the list is shit, McNabb was voted in last year yet he was benched for Rex Grossman, it's just another power rankings to get people talking, JPP made the list at 24 and I don't give a fuck....

The Top 100 thing is confusing as hell to me. It's supposed to be a "if you were making a team in 2012...who are the top 100 players you would take". The problem is that the first 10-15 players taken in that type of situation are going to be QB's so the list is sort of stupid from the get-go. If it was a Top 100 players based on the previous years performance - I would sort of understand that more and you could argue that certain players at certain positions should be higher based on the previous years play.

The other part of it is they make a point on NFLN of saying that the list isn't representative of the players entire career achievements and yet you have the talking heads going on about the cumulative careers of the player in question being a reason why they should be listed higher etc. It's really just a stupid concept...

It's a time filler. I mean, they seriously put Tebow on the thing for chrissakes.

In some things they seem to get things right (like players positions over last year's list) but then get other completely, horribly wrong (The aforementioned fullbacks, washed up players like Tony Gonzalez high on the list, allegiance to name players)

I mean, I love James Harrison, when healthy I think he should be a top 10 player, but he wasn't healthy last year. Put him lower. Mike Wallace sputtered at the end of the season; Antonio Brown was better overall. What did Clay Matthews do to last year to be rated so high? Woodson?

NFL needs to decide what this is. Is it a list of the best players for the previous calendar year, or our favorite players over a career?

Thank for forcibly dragging everyone into list warzzz Deacon. Ass hole.

you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people

Better?

Fox318

If you ran a team starting from scratch and were drafting from a pool of NFL players (for the sake of the topic, the supposed top 100 players) and you had a top 10 pick - you're pick would be a CB over a QB?

That's not what I said.

I'd take Revis and JPP over most QBs.

Despite belief there are a ton of QBs out there and solid defense will win out.
you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people you people

Better?

gol15.jpg

My People

squicken

The best list idea is Bill Simmons' and his trade value column for the NBA. The metric should be "would team A with player #27 trade with team B for player #26?" It would skew towards QBs obviously, but it's still the best way I've seen to do it

Talon

I have a better idea: listicles and power rankings are lazy clickbait.

Take it from someone that has heard this directly from an editor at SI.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
That's not what I said.

I'd take Revis and JPP over most QBs.

Despite belief there are a ton of QBs out there and solid defense will win out.

Solid defense begins with a pass rush.

I'm not going to argue that Revis isn't the best or top 3 in his position but your ability to get to the quarterback is what wins games.

So basically I would take Clay Matthews and Demarcus Ware over Revis and any other defensive player.

squicken

I have a better idea: listicles and power rankings are lazy clickbait.

Take it from someone that has heard this directly from an editor at SI.

Of course. Prisco's is just something he crapped out with little blocks of text.

Simmons' are like 3000k monsters. Back when he wasn't mailing it in those things were a fun read b/c they were obviously written by someone who was interested in more than just clicks

Fox318

Solid defense begins with a pass rush.

I'm not going to argue that Revis isn't the best or top 3 in his position but your ability to get to the quarterback is what wins games.

So basically I would take Clay Matthews and Demarcus Ware over Revis and any other defensive player.

A shut down corner frees up an extra safety or LB to cover the pass happy, flag throwing NFL we have today.

Top Bottom