• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

Slo

vikings_stadium_ap120510124049_620x350.jpg

VIKEBIKE! VIKEBIKE! VIKEBIKE!

And yet it was easily outsold by the Wii which died like 2 years ago:

People keep thinking it is the 90s and Apple is the underdog and MS is the Goliath when in reality it is the opposite of that. I have no faith in MS trying to compete in a market that is not controlled by virtue of their monopoly. The 360 is the only example in their favor and it cost thm billions to buy their way in and the guy responsible is now gone. MS can't compete with Apple when to comes to cash (as crazy as it sounds) and they are late as fuck to the market. What is MS offering to very every 3rd person I see that has an iPad?

I could be wrong but I have no faith in Balmer and the current regime.

ok? the wii was a shitty game console. it sold because of a gimmick. take a look at the wii's sales and how quickly they fell off a cliff. now take a look at 360 and how it has consistently got better. it's games have consistently gotten better and there has been a strong release schedule yearly. what has come out for the wii in the past 3 years? xenoblade and zelda? anything else?

i have no doubt to take on apple in the tablet market will take time but sony had the same type of strangle hold on the console market when MS entered and look where we are

squicken

If you've ever wondered what it's like to get burned in pass coverage by a 300 lb fullback, watch the second one.

Preaching to the choir. You'll notice they took him off the field in the passing drill, and SJax has lost about 3 steps. Cupboard was pretty much bare. Couldn't fix everything in one offeason

Colasante

Has anyone here bought one of the new Nike jerseys? I'd heard they were a much better fit than the Reebok ones. Can anyone attest to that? I always felt like a tiny child wearing my old one.

Loser's sister gets locked in a bathroom with the opposing teams qb for a solid hour.

If you don't have a sister though we can do the avatar thing.

That's wouldn't be fair! Being locked in a room with Tom isn't a punishment.

So the avatar thing it is.

Drew Brees compares evidence for bounties to evidence for WMDs

Saints quarterback Drew Brees has offered up an interesting analogy for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s case that some of Brees’s coaches and teammates on the Saints were involved in a bounty program: Brees says it’s reminiscent of President George W. Bush’s case for the Iraq War.

On Monday, as reporters were scrutinizing about 200 pages of what the NFL says is a 50,000-page file of evidence in the Saints’ bounty program, Brees wrote on Twitter that he isn’t buying it.

“If NFL fans were told there were ‘weapons of mass destruction’ enough times, they’d believe it,” Brees wrote. “But what happens when you don’t find any????”

In the run-up to the Iraq War, the Bush Administration repeatedly said Saddam Hussein had stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction, a claim that most Americans believed and that turned out to be false. Bush later called his biggest regret as president.

If I were Brees, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for Goodell to call suspending the Saints his biggest regret as commissioner.

Are you kidding me ?

And yet it was easily outsold by the Wii which died like 2 years ago:

People keep thinking it is the 90s and Apple is the underdog and MS is the Goliath when in reality it is the opposite of that. I have no faith in MS trying to compete in a market that is not controlled by virtue of their monopoly. The 360 is the only example in their favor and it cost thm billions to buy their way in and the guy responsible is now gone. MS can't compete with Apple when to comes to cash (as crazy as it sounds) and they are late as fuck to the market. What is MS offering to very every 3rd person I see that has an iPad?

I could be wrong but I have no faith in Balmer and the current regime.

I would love to hear who the one guy responsible for the success of the 360 is? The 360 is closing in like crazy on the Wii in the US. Even with the RRoD disaster they have a chance to be #1 in the worlds biggest market in only their 2nd generation. I still remember when the OG XBOX was announced nd guys like Blackley and Allard were saying they would lose money for 2 gens before being able to compete with Sony. MS has the money and the marketing to really push a product if they decide to. It might take them a while but I definitely see them taking some of Apples market share if the surface isnt priced to crazy. I dont know if they will ever pass the ipad but they dont have to, the tablet market is crazy big.

Milchjon

Brees is quickly becoming the biggest loser in this whole ordeal. He went from pretty likable, the short underdog who won it all, to a sore asshole. Who'd want a guy like that in his advertising campaign?

I would love to hear who the one guy responsible for the success of the 360 is? The 360 is closing in like crazy on the Wii in the US. Even with the RRoD disaster they have a chance to be #1 in the worlds biggest market in only their 2nd generation. I still remember when the OG XBOX was announced nd guys like Blackley and Allard were saying they would lose money for 2 gens before being able to compete with Sony. MS has the money and the marketing to really push a product if they decide to. It might take them a while but I definitely see them taking some of Apples market share if the surface isnt priced to crazy. I dont know if they will ever pass the ipad but they dont have to, the tablet market is crazy big.

Microsoft has to outsell the Wii by 8 million units to take NA. Not gonna happen.

Microsoft has to outsell the Wii by 8 million units to take NA. Not gonna happen.

That is crazy in this months NPD thread several people were saying the 360 was in position to pass the Wii in the US now, but no way is it making up 8m. The gap will definitely close a lot, the Wii-U will end the Wiis sales, and the 360 will have a price cut before the next XBOX comes out, but 8m is to much to make up.

bionic77

J Allard was the guy in charge of the Xbox and 360 (along with a lot of other things, most of which bombed hard). Obviously there is more to it than Allard, but Allard was one of the few guys that was creative and forward thinking @ MS.

And of course I am can't see the future but people assuming that MS just has to enter the tablet market and provide a good price point and gain market share are crazy. MS is not a forward thinking company anymore. Just because you like your Xbox or some MS products does not excuse their shitty innovation in the last decade and their literal giving away the smartphone and tablet markets to Apple (who previously had zero share in both while MS controlled the tablet market and had a very big share in smartphones). Balmer literally laughed at the iPhone and iPad and predicted both to fail and then reacted too slowly to both of them. Do you think it was MS's plan to just let Apple walk away with all of those billions of dollars along with the mind and marketshare they have accumulated in the last decade?

You can't count MS out, but I just have zero faith in Balmer to do anything right. Truthfully we will also see how Apple fares now that Jobs is not longer running the show and if anything that might be MS's best bet to wrest some marketshare from Apple in phones and tablets.

bionic77

It's about that time to rewatch last year's games. First up, week 1 vs Saints. I remember bionic saying that the defense was crap based on this game and I thought it was just early season jitters. :(
Lesson here?

Always listen to bionic77.

That's wouldn't be fair! Being locked in a room with Tom isn't a punishment.

So the avatar thing it is.
It isn't? You Pat fans are weird. I would be scared to be locked in a small room with a transsexual spawn of Satan.

squicken

Good to see the Saints imploding. Brees is a douche. Unfortunately their front office seems to understand it's best to year to year with him. Best thing for the rest of that division is to hope he gets a giant contract.

He's definitely elite, but he has far less margin for error with his arm. As he gets older and loses arm strength, it's going to affect his play more than someone like Brady

J Allard was the guy in charge of the Xbox and 360 (along with a lot of other things, most of which bombed hard). Obviously there is more to it than Allard, but Allard was one of the few guys that was creative and forward thinking @ MS.

And of course I am can't see the future but people assuming that MS just has to enter the tablet market and provide a good price point and gain market share are crazy. MS is not a forward thinking company anymore. Just because you like your Xbox or some MS products does not excuse their shitty innovation in the last decade and their literal giving away the smartphone and tablet markets to Apple (who previously had zero share in both while MS controlled the tablet market and had a very big share in smartphones). Balmer literally laughed at the iPhone and iPad and predicted both to fail and then reacted too slowly to both of them. Do you think it was MS's plan to just let Apple walk away with all of those billions of dollars along with the mind and marketshare they have accumulated in the last decade?

You can't count MS out, but I just have zero faith in Balmer to do anything right. Truthfully we will also see how Apple fares now that Jobs is not longer running the show and if anything that might be MS's best bet to wrest some marketshare from Apple in phones and tablets.

I dont believe Allard was ever really in charge on anything XBOX related, Blackley was the first head and then Peter Moore was the head. Either way there are hundreds of people involved in making the decisions, and the XBOX brand is much stronger now then it ever was when Allard was involved. I dont see how you can say that MS used to control the tablet market and had a big share of the smartphone market pre-apple, neither market was anything before the iphone/ipad. No one knew either market would be anywhere near as big as they are. You are right about Ballmer laughing both device off though, in hindsight he looks foolish now. None of that matters now though. 10 years from now both markets will still be huge and MS absolutely has a chance to grab market share in both. Hell google carved out a niche in both and MS will throw way more money at this then google has. I hate the word innovation, it seems like a way to complain about something without having any real complaints. You say MS hasnt innovated in 10 years but I am sure they have come up with all kinds of things in that time, OS/browser/gaming/office software and so on. The tablet and smartphone markets are so big now they can easily support multiple compaines just like Sony, MS and Nintendo are all doing well in gaming.

bionic77

Yes. Congratulations on finally getting Google rolled out in your coal mine town.
Did not Google that. That dude was pretty famous during the Iraq war. I believe he was used in many in a GIF on gaming side, though I don't remember the context for it (I want to say it was Nintendo related).

Though now I do want to google him and find out what he is up to these days. Probably in jail.

Also, I am not going to say I am in a high tech area until we get FIOS. I am stuck with shitty comcast and consider myself to live in the internet dark ages. Someone needs to save me from this shitty 15 Mbit (some of the time) connection.

bionic77

I dont believe Allard was ever really in charge on anything XBOX related, Blackley was the first head and then Peter Moore was the head. Either way there are hundreds of people involved in making the decisions, and the XBOX brand is much stronger now then it ever was when Allard was involved. I dont see how you can say that MS used to control the tablet market and had a big share of the smartphone market pre-apple, neither market was anything before the iphone/ipad. No one knew either market would be anywhere near as big as they are. You are right about Ballmer laughing both device off though, in hindsight he looks foolish now. None of that matters now though. 10 years from now both markets will still be huge and MS absolutely has a chance to grab market share in both. Hell google carved out a niche in both and MS will throw way more money at this then google has. I hate the word innovation, it seems like a way to complain about something without having any real complaints. You say MS hasnt innovated in 10 years but I am sure they have come up with all kinds of things in that time, OS/browser/gaming/office software and so on. The tablet and smartphone markets are so big now they can easily support multiple compaines just like Sony, MS and Nintendo are all doing well in gaming.
You don't think that is a problem? You don't think that watching Apple come in and take over markets that they either owned or had a majority marketshare in and do nothing about it for 3-4 years is not something to be concerned about? To me that sounds like the company doesn't know what it is doing. When you fuck up repeatedly like that why should I believe you are going to get it right now?

I don't want to go into this too much because the tech industry moves way too quickly. Making tech predictions is a quick way to make yourself look foolish, but don't take this to mean that I hate MS (I could care less, whoever makes the shit I like will get my money), more of me not being a fan of Ballmer and thinking that MS should have fired his ass years ago.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I dont see how you can say that MS used to control the tablet market and had a big share of the smartphone market pre-apple, neither market was anything before the iphone/ipad.

I'm not going to say they controlled either but you can't just disregard the smart phone market pre-iphone.

You don't think that is a problem? You don't think that watching Apple come in and take over markets that they either owned or had a majority marketshare in and do nothing about it for 3-4 years is not something to be concerned about? To me that sounds like the company doesn't know what it is doing. When you fuck up repeatedly like that why should I believe you are going to get it right now?

I don't want to go into this too much because the tech industry moves way too quickly. Making tech predictions is a quick way to make yourself look foolish, but don't take this to mean that I hate MS (I could care less, whoever makes the shit I like will get my money), more of me not being a fan of Ballmer and thinking that MS should have fired his ass years ago.

You COULD care less Alex smith!

bionic77

Lol. The Surface is a massively disruptive and forward thinking device. Windows 8 is the same.
Both are in response to iOS and the iPad. iOS came out 5 years ago...

Personally I prefer a laptop to a tablet but I seem to be part of the minority. Most people are happy with tablets I guess and MS has to try to get into the market. I just wish they would done it earlier.

eznark

Banned
Both are in response to iOS and the iPad. iOS came out 5 years ago...

Personally I prefer a laptop to a tablet but I seem to be part of the minority. Most people are happy with tablets I guess and MS has to try to get into the market. I just wish they would done it earlier.

It's a tablet that runs a fully featured operating system. That operating system just happens to be the standard on millions of PC's in millions of offices around the world. Comparing this to the iPad is hilariously lazy.

Saying Windows 8 is inspired by iOS is simply stupid. The interface? Absolutely. They put a touch wrapper on Windows 7. End of the day, the Surface essentially has the innards of a macbook air, the functionality of a tablet and the best operating system on the market.

Yes please.

I can't think of a reason to prefer a laptop to the Surface Pro.

squicken

Late response, but I have U-Verse for my TV, Internet, and Phone if you wanted to ask something about it.

haha Well it's too late for me to go back. I'm getting TV and internet installed tomorrow. How are internet speeds? Do they plummet at night? Is there a download cap or do they throttle?

I pay for a 20 Mb/s connection w/ Comcast, but at night it will struggle to stream Netflix. Speeds go sub 500 Kb/s. My parents have ATT DSL and their internet simply does not work after 5 pm. UVerse guy said it runs on a different network than DSL so fingers crossed.

Talon

I can't think of a reason to prefer a laptop to the Surface Pro.
10.2 inch screen would be one. The Windows RT version is great.

This half-way form factor of the Windows 8 Pro unit is solving a problem that doesn't exist, though. Tablets are fully functional for their uses. Laptops are fully functional for their uses. You lose benefits of each product by converging the two.

The strengths of a tablet are portability, battery life and the singular interface - this application metaphor we've grown to use over one-size-fits-all websites. The strengths of a laptop are screen size and hardware interface (namely keyboard).

The way I see it, a tablet will solve the needs for most users and increasingly become more functional for productivity. They've come a long way in three years, and it's no longer a simple consumption device.

Autodesk has pretty impressive software on tablets. I do a lot of writing on my iPad, and I imagine the Surface RT will be another great device for that use. Video editing is very functional for a light touch at this point - obviously this is a space where desktops will dominate for the foreseeable future due to memory needs. Diet Coda came out recently.

My biggest issue is on the software side, actually. We're at a stage where designers are focusing more on the human interface and user experience than ever before. Windows 8 is half a step in that direction with the Metro interface and the underbelly. The 360 experience may not be ideal, but the fact that you only experience the top level makes it an even experience for all users. I don't know if that will be true 2, 3, 4 years down the road with Windows 8.

There's a good metaphor for this with Email clients. Your Email client organizes data and presents it to you directly in a consistent interface. You don't need to dive into a file manager to find older messages - the application is all encompassing. That use is more "whole."

At any rate, I'm super excited about Surface. I'm glad to see Microsoft learn the value of vertical integration with the XBox 360 when it comes to the user experience, and this is the most compelling hardware vision we've seen from Microsoft maybe ever. I mean, think about it, Microsoft beat Google to the punch with a halo device. Seriously, we are living in bizzaro world.

Tablets are set to swallow up conventional PC sales by 2015 according to Goldman, and we're well underway.

RBH

haha Well it's too late for me to go back. I'm getting TV and internet installed tomorrow. How are internet speeds? Do they plummet at night? Is there a download cap or do they throttle?

I pay for a 20 Mb/s connection w/ Comcast, but at night it will struggle to stream Netflix. Speeds go sub 500 Kb/s. My parents have ATT DSL and their internet simply does not work after 5 pm. UVerse guy said it runs on a different network than DSL so fingers crossed.

They announced plans back in March 2011 to establish a 250GB monthly cap for U-verse users, but they still haven't implemented the cap 15 months later and it looks like they may not even do it (at least for now):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424287

I currently have the 18 Mb/s plan, and it's worked pretty well. Internet speeds may decrease a bit at night on certain days of the week (ie usually the weekend), but certainly not to 500 Kb/s. Netflix holds up just fine at night even with multiple people having their devices connected to the network (10+ devices).

I'll try speedtest tonight to see how it compares.

Milchjon

Since I'm not a pre-teen girl writing on her livejournal, lap typing doesn't really interest me.

Me neither, but I think my laptop spends only about 50% of the time on a flat surface. University, writing outside/on the go, etc. Remember, one of the selling points is that it's an ultra portable, modular workstation.

But I guess in a lot of those cases, you would just use it a tablet when writing notes and stuff.

Top Bottom