• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

squicken

Thanks RBH. That seems pretty good.

PSA to anyone who is interested. Kate Upton's classy wet Tshirt video is up over at GQ's website

eznark

Banned
10.2 inch screen would be one. The Windows RT version is great.

This half-way form factor of the Windows 8 Pro unit is solving a problem that doesn't exist, though. Tablets are fully functional for their uses. Laptops are fully functional for their uses. You lose benefits of each product by converging the two.

The strengths of a tablet are portability, battery life and the singular interface - this application metaphor we've grown to use over one-size-fits-all websites. The strengths of a laptop are screen size and hardware interface (namely keyboard).

The way I see it, a tablet will solve the needs for most users and increasingly become more functional for productivity. They've come a long way in three years, and it's no longer a simple consumption device.

Autodesk has pretty impressive software on tablets. I do a lot of writing on my iPad, and I imagine the Surface RT will be another great device for that use. Video editing is very functional for a light touch at this point - obviously this is a space where desktops will dominate for the foreseeable future due to memory needs. Diet Coda came out recently.

My biggest issue is on the software side, actually. We're at a stage where designers are focusing more on the human interface and user experience than ever before. Windows 8 is half a step in that direction with the Metro interface and the underbelly. The 360 experience may not be ideal, but the fact that you only experience the top level makes it an even experience for all users. I don't know if that will be true 2, 3, 4 years down the road with Windows 8.

There's a good metaphor for this with Email clients. Your Email client organizes data and presents it to you directly in a consistent interface. You don't need to dive into a file manager to find older messages - the application is all encompassing. That use is more "whole."

At any rate, I'm super excited about Surface. I'm glad to see Microsoft learn the value of vertical integration with the XBox 360 when it comes to the user experience, and this is the most compelling hardware vision we've seen from Microsoft maybe ever. I mean, think about it, Microsoft beat Google to the punch with a halo device. Seriously, we are living in bizzaro world.

Tablets are set to swallow up conventional PC sales by 2015 according to Goldman, and we're well underway.

I think you're discounting the use case for most business professionals (the folks who will be getting the device from their employer). It's a communication and collaboration and documentation tool. A salesmen doesn't need a 15" screen to record his day. An executive doesn't need to pull out a Lenovo just to check his email. Having a tablet sized device that has a full operating system and all the capabilities that entails is going to far outweigh the limited real estate.

This replaces the road warriors laptop completely, and that is awesome.

Godslay

Banned
It's a tablet that runs a fully featured operating system. That operating system just happens to be the standard on millions of PC's in millions of offices around the world. Comparing this to the iPad is hilariously lazy.

Saying Windows 8 is inspired by iOS is simply stupid. The interface? Absolutely. They put a touch wrapper on Windows 7. End of the day, the Surface essentially has the innards of a macbook air, the functionality of a tablet and the best operating system on the market.

Yes please.

I can't think of a reason to prefer a laptop to the Surface Pro.

This post nails it. If the Surface pro can run what I want it to and well, then I will ditch my laptop and tablet in a heartbeat. Both for work and play.

Talon

I think you're discounting the use case for most business professionals (the folks who will be getting the device from their employer). It's a communication and collaboration and documentation tool. A salesmen doesn't need a 15" screen to record his day. An executive doesn't need to pull out a Lenovo just to check his email. Having a tablet sized device that has a full operating system and all the capabilities that entails is going to far outweigh the limited real estate.

This replaces the road warriors laptop completely, and that is awesome.
No, I don't think I'm ignoring that at all. I work for a software company that interfaces directly with large organizations, so we're very...intimate with the type of hardware they're using.

By in large, our clients are behind in IT for security reasons, which is HILARIOUSLY ironic. The standard request when it comes to hardware and browser baselines is still: IE6, Flash 8, 1024x768. The people making purchasing decisions for large organizations buy 400 Dell Latitudes at $400 a pop.

We had one big insurer that just moved up to XP last year. I've seen one client that has Windows 7 across the organization. What I'm saying is that I don't see Windows 8 catching on with big business - even with the legacy interface. Why? They removed the Start button. They put in a hotfix that blocks you from reinserting the Start button. Large organizations are notoriously risk averse with basic computing anyways (just check out the computers that air carriers still use - they're 20-year-old IBMs).

The weird counterpoint to that is that we see a ton of iPad penetration. Granted, I think it's more of a top down thing where executives own an iPad and think it'd be great for the organization, but we've gotten requests from every client about loading out our software for iPads (which is...interesting to say the least. Apple has a goofy business application solution).

eznark

Banned
No, I don't think I'm ignoring that at all. I work for a software company that interfaces directly with large organizations, so we're very...intimate with the type of hardware they're using.

By in large, our clients are behind in IT for security reasons. We had one big insurer that just moved up to XP last year. What I'm saying is that I don't see Windows 8 catching on with big business - even with the legacy interface. Why? They removed the Start button. They put in a hotfix that blocks you from reinserting the Start button. Large organizations are notoriously risk averse with basic computing anyways (just check out the computers that air carriers still use - they're 20-year-old IBMs).

The weird counterpoint to that is that we see a ton of iPad penetration. Granted, I think it's more of a top down thing where executives own an iPad and think it'd be great for the organization, but we've gotten requests from every client about loading out our software for iPads (which is...interesting to say the least. Apple has a goofy business application solution).

They don't need to adopt 8 for their cube drones, IT just needs to know that these devices run on the same architecture as their Windows, will play well and most importantly, will seamlessly work with Outlook. They'll also be able to install their existing licensed software (in most cases) onto the Surface without need to purchase anything new or buy every salesmen an app and set up a special account for their device.

Talon

They don't need to adopt 8 for their cube drones, IT just needs to know that these devices run on the same architecture as their Windows, will play well and most importantly, will seamlessly work with Outlook. They'll also be able to install their existing licensed software (in most cases) onto the Surface without need to purchase anything new or buy every salesmen an app and set up a special account for their device.
Ez, I think you've done management consulting, so I think you know how IT works for a company like Prudential.

They get pissy if we send .docx files.

Talon

Anyways, the only point I'm making is that people always say, "Oh, businesses will love [product]." They don't realize that businesses are about 5 years behind when it comes to hardware and software purchasing.

I think Excel 2003 is still the standard at McKinsey.
Talking to a couple people who travel a lot, they both said it really needs 4G. It's a ways off so maybe some partner deals with carriers will emerge.
Who the hell travels for work and doesn't carry around a MiFi device?

eznark

Banned
Ez, I think you've done management consulting, so I think you know how IT works for a company like Prudential.

They get pissy if we send .docx files.

Yeah, but I think this device offers a compelling reason for even the big players to transition to new devices. It certainly makes sense for small fries.

The killer app for Surface? Fully featured, no compromises QuickBooks Pro.

Talking to a couple people who travel a lot, they both said it really needs 4G. It's a ways off so maybe some partner deals with carriers will emerge.

lol, what? The number of places with consistent 4G that don't have carpeted Wifi are like zero.

Talon

Yeah, but I think this device offers a compelling reason for even the big players to transition to new devices. It certainly makes sense for small fries.

The killer app for Surface? Fully featured, no compromises QuickBooks Pro.
Game over, bro. Game over.

The one thing that makes no damn sense to me is how we see so many iPads in these organizations. Maybe we will see a consumer-led sea change when it comes to business technology. I guess the funny thing would be that organizations may be less reticent to take on, say, a Surface than they would have 2-3 years ago before iPads.

eznark

Banned
Game over, bro. Game over.

I'm assuming you're mocking me, but that is a massive selling point for the privately held 500 and fewer employee businesses that are the backbone of the country.

C level execs and firms that use sales force pro are fine with an ipad. People that have actual work to do need an actual computer.

bionic77

It's a tablet that runs a fully featured operating system. That operating system just happens to be the standard on millions of PC's in millions of offices around the world. Comparing this to the iPad is hilariously lazy.

Saying Windows 8 is inspired by iOS is simply stupid. The interface? Absolutely. They put a touch wrapper on Windows 7. End of the day, the Surface essentially has the innards of a macbook air, the functionality of a tablet and the best operating system on the market.

Yes please.

I can't think of a reason to prefer a laptop to the Surface Pro.
I am getting an Air this week and don't really care for tablets. For me tablets are worthless because I need a good keyboard and a comfortable way to type (I type a lot for work and in general). The Surface does come with an optional full keyboard, but I prefer using a touchpad to using the touch screen on a tablet. Maybe in the future tablets might have some advantages over a laptop, but how I use them I prefer a tiny laptop. Of course I haven't used Win8 (RT or Pro) and I have not used the Curve so I can't really comment on the experience or the keyboard but I will be sure to test one out once they have demo units out there.

If you just consume content I can see the appeal as they are great for that and are really portable.

Talon

There are compromises made with merging a tablet and laptop device. Laptops are still going to be the best solution for work (spreadsheets, creating decks, writing, production, etc.) due to screen size and form factor. Tablets outdo laptops in other functions as well.
C level execs and firms that use sales force pro are fine with an ipad. People that have actual work to do need an actual computer.
Oh, no, of course not. I can't see tablets outright replacing workstations any time soon. The ways we've seen them used are as secondary devices at work for checking email, going through decks (this actually is really goddamn useful as a second or third "monitor"), reading PDFs, etc.

eznark

Banned
^ A lot of people are pointing to the usb port as great for gaming. Whatever.

That's a motherfucking num pad port biooooootch!

I'm not mocking you. I'm agreeing.

WE ARE OLD MEN.

I'm an old man who works with start ups. QuickBooks is my God now :(

I am getting an Air this week and don't really care for tablets. For me tablets are worthless because I need a good keyboard and a comfortable way to type (I type a lot for work and in general). The Surface does come with an optional full keyboard, but I prefer using a touchpad to using the touch screen on a tablet. Maybe in the future tablets might have some advantages over a laptop, but how I use them I prefer a tiny laptop. Of course I haven't used Win8 (RT or Pro) and I have not used the Curve so I can't really comment on the experience or the keyboard but I will be sure to test one out once they have demo units out there.

If you just consume content I can see the appeal as they are great for that and are really portable.

I love my wife's Air, can't recommend it enough. This seems to give me that, plus Windows plus the tablet experience.

Golden fucking triangle!

eznark

Banned
I'm guessing most? I don't travel so can only guess, but maybe people would like their new laptop/tablet to have that integrated so they have one less thing to carry around?

I personally love having a separate hotspot device. I can play all my online Vita games while driving!

Talon

I'd wager more people rely on their 3G/4G networks than mobile hotspots.
Mobile hotspots...use 3G/4G networks...?

Unless you're saying people use phones, which is not the case with friends/professionals that I know. Can't be burning up that phone battery when you can have a separate device - plus work pays for it all.

Mobile hotspots...use 3G/4G networks...?

Unless you're saying people use phones, which is not the case with friends/professionals that I know. Can't be burning up that phone battery when you can have a separate device - plus work pays for it all.

Every place i've ever been 99% of the work is done through the phone. The iPads and laptops are only broken out on trips.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The last company I worked for had executives and product managers cramming the use of a personal ipad into their work life. It didn't make any sense and it just seemed cumbersome and obnoxious compared to a regular laptop. Of course it started with the Vice President using one in the weekly meetings and then everyone seemed to follow suit.

Naturally they all had iPhones as well.

squicken

"Cassel is at his best in a managed offense that features run personnel, run formations, and the play-action pass game," Jaws said. "Play action primarily gives the quarterback either-or defined reads. Cassel is very good in that scenario. ... Cassel throws the ball better to the inside -- digs, hooks, and throws like that -- than he does to the outside. That's the way it is for quarterbacks with limited arm strength. You give Matt Cassel a solid run game, a good offensive line, room in the pocket to deliver the football comfortably, and he can be a very efficient NFL starter. That's what he is. He's a function of the team around him, and he needs those pieces in place working effectively."

Matt Cassel next on Jaws' list of QBs

30 Tebow
29 Gabbert
28 Ponder
27 Flynn
26 Moore
25 Kolb
24 Fitz
23 Sanchez
22 Cassel

bionic77

I personally love having a separate hotspot device. I can play all my online Vita games while driving!
Mifi is the bomb.

Verizon 4G is so awesome for work. The only downside is the cap. At those speeds you can burn through 5Gs really quickly. You don't need it for work but I use it a lot outside of work.

I also see a ton of attorneys on iPads too and I agree that I never understood it. I always prefer a laptop but laptops and desktops seem to be slowly dying off for mainstream computing.

squicken

You don't say....

There's no video to post, and that was the only excerpt I've seen so far. But as opposed to most other guys on the list, he has proven that he can successfully manage a team over the course of a season(s)

Really, you can flip a coin with most of the last few guys. He probably likes Cassel more than Sanchez and Fitz just b/c he's taller

jakncoke

Banned
Wait, I thought you were back with your girlfriend?

I guess there was just a misunderstanding. That day i said i was at her house i was just visiting her place

also, for a site as big as craiglist im surprised there is a section for discussion labeled "queer"

squicken said:
here's no video to post, and that was the only excerpt I've seen so far. But as opposed to most other guys on the list, he has proven that he can successfully manage a team over the course of a season(s)
I don't necessarily dispute that. However, I still felt the need to be glib about the comment because it could be applied to so many average/sub-par QB's in the league. I'm not sure why Cassel is anymore special outside of being successful in Belichik's system for one year (I suppose you could count the year Weiss was OC in KC). It's such a generality though.

If you give x a great offensive line, quality running game and room in the pocket to deliver the football comfortably, x can be an efficient NFL starter.

Well no shit.

Talon

I also see a ton of attorneys on iPads too and I agree that I never understood it. I always prefer a laptop but laptops and desktops seem to be slowly dying off for mainstream computing.
The iPads unequivocally better for reading PDFs and docs, IMO. I find myself doing that on planes rather than pulling out my work laptop.

brentech

After reading through some of the posts, I'll have to agree it seems great for start ups and smaller companies.
Last major company I worked for was a regional bank with about 12000 employees and 52 billion in assets.

For the life of them, they wouldn't budge off of Windows 2000/XP systems as of 2009. They're so afraid to break something, that they forgo all the added security of the newer OS's. Most banks/large companies are the same way. It's a shame really.

They wouldn't even get off of Lotus Notes and move to Outlook due to old system databases being stored in LN (even having acquired thousands of licenses after buying other banks that used it).
Hate Lotus. Crashed all the time, the local data always got corrupted and at least one of the servers seemed to go down daily (not sure if that was banks shitty hardware or also a Lotus issue). I think the transfer would have saved a shit load of man hours due to added stability, the bank I worked for before was merged to them and we had almost zero issues with it.

Anyyyways, most new companies would be grateful to start off with such a business versatile piece of hardware.

eznark

Banned
The iPads unequivocally better for reading PDFs and docs, IMO. I find myself doing that on planes rather than pulling out my work laptop.

Yeah, I use both and transfer docs using dropbox. I do all of my reading, note taking, and editing on the ipad then all the intense work on the laptop.

I also use it as my sole note-taking medium when in meetings. The Surface is going to be fucking booooossssssssssss for hand writing!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
You know what time it is!

“Mr. [Gregg] Williams and Mr. [Mike] Ornstein and another member of the Saints defensive coaching staff, all of whom were present at the meeting, all stated to NFL investigators that Mr. Vilma pledged $10,000 to any player who knocked Brett Favre out of the next week’s NFC championship game against the Minnesota Vikings,” White said according to the official transcript, a copy of which PFT has obtained. “All three witnesses stated that the amount of this bounty was $10,000.”

Also, Florio is the very definition of scumbag lawyer. When I think of scumbag lawyers, I think of Florio.

Talon

I would love to see Vilma sue Saints coaches. Make it happen.

Also, this has to be the first Lotus Notes reference in NFL-gaf history. Good job, everyone. We're old.

Wife will be using her iPad during her clinicals to make notes and look stuff up quickly without having to lug around a laptop.

Milchjon

Thanks RBH. That seems pretty good.

PSA to anyone who is interested. Kate Upton's classy wet Tshirt video is up over at GQ's website

Sweet baby Jesus. The fact that this gets completely swallowed by Surface talk should be testament to how exciting these tablets are ;-)

squicken

Lawyer = scumbag in general.

Law schools are profit centers for universities. Those scumbags are subsidizing undergraduate educations. So maybe next time you see an ambulance chaser ad on TV, say a prayer of thanks for him, instead of hurling insults. bro

Sweet baby Jesus. The fact that this gets completely swallowed by Surface talk should be testament to how exciting these tablets are ;-)

I need a 4G phone but am waiting on what Apple does. All my NSFW daytime surfing is done on my phone, and the slow ass loading is intolerable sometimes

bionic77

Don't see the point of 4g on current phones. That speed makes a big difference on laptops though.

Remember that with great speed comes great responsibility and that shit will rape your cap really quickly.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
i don't think I'm capped.

I find the difference between 3 and 4g pretty big when I'm using the browser.

squicken

Don't see the point of 4g on current phones. That speed makes a big difference on laptops though.

Remember that with great speed comes great responsibility and that shit will rape your cap really quickly.

I rarely use my phone for data. Never go over 1GB a month. I was supposedly grandfathered on ATT's unlimited plan, but I think they changed that

Don't knock it till you try it. Kate Upton wet t shirt video on my phone in 5 seconds is absolutely glorious. I have unlimited data though.

Sanjuro

:jnc

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deranged-911-caller-demands-speak-tim-tebow-fans-161000921--nfl.html

According to a Yahoo! Sports report, a Hopatcong man told police he was the president looking to speak to Tim Tebow, and officers found him hiding under pillows and clothes in his mom's closet.

"Jason Slater, 28, called 911 three times late June 10, refusing to give the dispatcher information each time," the report states. "Then he called the Hopatcong police department's main line, saying he was the president and that he wanted to talk with Tebow, the New York Jets' backup quarterback, police said."

The M.O.B

Avxv44PCMAAE4bk.jpg

5 more years of Griffin, better than 5 years of Innegan.

Top Bottom