• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

Ls6Ys.jpg

dat muscle definition.

Wrayfield

If Sapp can get a gig on TV (and lose it), so can TO. Maybe not on NFL Network, but he could do something. Even a radio show, anything. Might not be big bucks but it would be financial stability. He'd need to reduce his spending, but at least he wouldn't have to drag Junior's suicide into this debate.

eznark

Banned
If Sapp can get a gig on TV (and lose it), so can TO. Maybe not on NFL Network, but he could do something. Even a radio show, anything. Might not be big bucks but it would be financial stability. He'd need to reduce his spending, but at least he wouldn't have to drag Junior's suicide into this debate.

Nah Sapp is a generally affable guy and fun to be around (as long as you aren't his kid) TO is a fucking depressing and arrogant douchebag downer. He'd be awful for TV.

Wrayfield

Nah Sapp is a generally affable guy and fun to be around (as long as you aren't his kid) TO is a fucking depressing and arrogant douchebag downer. He'd be awful for TV.

Hence prolly not the big networks. But if you look at some of the other guys that are on tv, I'm sure TO could attract more viewers with his douchebaggery.

I dunno, he's a whiny bitch. He could do so many things because everyone knows him. He is in super shape at 38, heals quickly, he could even do a fitness blog/video/whateverthefuck. But that would require a lot of work and not nearly as much dough as he'd probably like.

Would still be better than Jamie Dukes.

I dont see how TO could work on TV. He is a huge asshole and most everyone hates him, plus he is such a nut I doubt he even knows anything about football. This is a guy that actually believed it would be good for his career to get out of the Eagles offense. TO would have to fill the Micheal Irving role, the loudmouth who doesnt know what he is talking about, but at least Irving is funny, TO isnt funny at all he is just a mean person.

Big-E

A little behind on the thread, but even I can't defend Brady's new hair. It's on the same level as the Wayne Rooney cut.

Wrayfield

I dont see how TO could work on TV. He is a huge asshole and most everyone hates him, plus he is such a nut I doubt he even knows anything about football. This is a guy that actually believed it would be good for his career to get out of the Eagles offense. TO would have to fill the Micheal Irving role, the loudmouth who doesnt know what he is talking about, but at least Irving is funny, TO isnt funny at all he is just a mean person.

He could be the black Skip. Who says you need to know anything about football to "report" on it? Just antagonize the shit out of people and you have a program. Not that I'd watch it, but still.

As for Sapp, never a fan of his. Certainly won't miss him.

eznark

Banned
TO doesn't have a personality though and he is nowhere near intelligent enough to have a debate with someone. Not sure what you've ever seen of him that makes you think he'd be good in that role.

Sapp is back, right?

TO couldn't compare to Sapp in his wildest dreams. I don't understand why you guys hate Sapp, he's great TV. Closest thing the NFL has to Barkley.

I liked Sapp until the bounty gate and child support stuff happened this spring.

brentech

I thought you were being sarcastic. You have to have seen Inside the NFL, it was on HBO from (looked it up) '77-2008.

NFL Films program, recaps each weeks football games with all that NFL Films music and drama.

I thought you were being sarcastic. You have to have seen Inside the NFL, it was on HBO from (looked it up) '77-2008.

NFL Films program, recaps each weeks football games with all that NFL Films music and drama.

I used to watch inside the nfl every week as a kid. Great production value!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm somewhat disappointed that Showtime didn't take the Tudors all the way through Elizabeth.

The wife was really upset about it however. She loved that show!

squicken

I'm somewhat disappointed that Showtime didn't take the Tudors all the way through Elizabeth.

The wife was really upset about it however. She loved that show!

I thought it got really bad in the last year. I always thought they horribly miscast Henry VIII as well.

The Borgias is basically the same stuff. They just don't do it as good as HBO, though Game of Thrones had a pretty poop S2

Lol @ people suggesting TO get a tv role. It would be Emmit Smith all over again. TO is dumb as a rock, has a wooden personality and seems to have trouble expressing himself verbally in any meaningful way. Sorry he's having money problems but maybe he should have kept his dick in his pants.

squicken

Is Inside the NFL good? I never hear anyone but Simms talking about it.

I don't think it's very good. The whole benefit of those shows was that those guys got to see the coaches' film, and so could tell you things about the games that you just couldn't see from the broadcasts. That's what's so great about fans getting the coaches' film. There are a lot of really smart bloggers out there who are going to offer way more insight into the games than Phil Simms ever could (unless you believe that you had to play football to truly understand it)

Coaches' film isn't perfect. It's still hard to know exactly what happened since you don't know assignments. But all the blog sites over time are going to chart and recognize the same formations over and over and be able to discern responsibilities. The only thing that will suck is the NFL not letting people use the video in the writeups. It will have to be all animated gifs lol

I wish they'd strike a deal with Youtube

eznark said:
Is Homeland on Netflix? I've heard good things.
Unfortunately, not. The first season is due out on Blu at the end of August though if you want to give it a rental. Definitely worth it.

DeaconKnowlege said:
Is Inside the NFL good?
It's not great, no. I enjoy Colinsworth and Simms ribbing each other and the game footage is straight from NFL films with requisite music/voice over (as brentech mentioned) which is is nice. Outside of that, it's nothing you can't get on NFLN or online.

brentech

Yeah, I felt it was better when on HBO. Can't remember why that deal broke down, but I had it the last 2 years and just wasn't feeling it as much. It has its moments, but they spend a lot more time away from game clips now.

Dropped Showtime for the time being since INFL and Dexter were all I used it for.

Bowser

Ugh, I still mourn Dexter. Loved the first two seasons. Hated Season 3 and then Season 4 redeemed it somewhat and it's been a fucking disaster since.:(

I haven't seen Season 6 yet, but I'd put it like so:

1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5

I remember absolutely hating Season 2 solely because of
that bitch Lila
. May need to rewatch it though.

Bowser said:
I remember absolutely hating Season 2 solely because of
Doakes man. Doakes. Completely made S2 for me and the entire finale was just awesome. My favorite season. For me:

2 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 6 > 5

Julia Stiles was fucking BRUTAL in season 5. Unwatchable.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Inside the NFL on HBO made me an NFL fan when I was a kid. I think it aired on Saturday mornings. I've tried to watch the new version but there's too much of them just sitting around bullshitting. I'd rather watch actual highlights and read good analysis.

brentech

It definitely got knocked down a few pegs, but I still find myself interested in the show. Not sure if I'll re-up Showtime just for season 7 though.
I'm not sure why everyone hates on Stiles. Not saying she was good, but basically the same as any other counter-part they've had on that show.

Oh, it's the same show HBO cancelled? That show was rad until they added Carter.

Yep, just moved networks.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I thought it got really bad in the last year. I always thought they horribly miscast Henry VIII as well.

The Borgias is basically the same stuff. They just don't do it as good as HBO, though Game of Thrones had a pretty poop S2

HENRY VIII WAS MISCAST?! HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY HONOR!!!! RAAAAAAAAGGGEEEEEE FOR NO GOOD REASON!!!!!!

...yeah it was usually over the top.

effzee

This!

The whole reason people hated the Heat to begin with is:

1. The Decision (not one, not two, not three, etc.)
2. Lebron went out of his way to coordinate a stacked team for the purpose of winning a championship

Can you imagine Jordan trying to get onto the same team as Bird or Magic? Or Magic playing with Bird? Madness!

(Everyone and their dog calls Wade a Top 5 player in the NBA so the analogy works here)

You forget the #1 reason they hate him and still do. THE HYPE SINCE HIGH SCHOOL. ESPN has been stalking this guy since he was 17. Every moment, every success, and every failure. And along the way they crowned him before he won anything and named him the best player on the planet before he earned it.

That is why I was always annoyed with him.

That said I see no reason why anyone should dislike him for the second reason you posted. Oh no he joined a superstar team? So what? He took less money to join forces with 2 other great players to win championships. What's so bad about that?

Don't we as fans always complain that all players care about is money? Here all three took less than what they could get individually from other teams, sacrificed their own #s, and joined forces. Hell if 3 superstars wanted to do that for my Sixers I would be on cloud 9.

And lets not forget that nearly all previous champions have won with 2-3 other superstars on their teams. The only teams that I can even think of that didn't have clear 2-3 superstars are the Mavs from last season and the Pistons from 04.

What did you or other fans want? Stay in Cleveland and hope some FAs would want to sign there? To Cleveland? At least he played 7 seasons there and didn't demand a trade on draft day or something.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You forget the #1 reason they hate him and still do. THE HYPE SINCE HIGH SCHOOL. ESPN has been stalking this guy since he was 17. Every moment, every success, and every failure. And along the way they crowned him before he won anything and named him the best player on the planet before he earned it.

That is why I was always annoyed with him.

That said I see no reason why anyone should dislike him for the second reason you posted. Oh no he joined a superstar team? So what? He took less money to join forces with 2 other great players to win championships. What's so bad about that?

Don't we as fans always complain that all players care about is money? Here all three took less than what they could get individually from other teams, sacrificed their own #s, and joined forces. Hell if 3 superstars wanted to do that for my Sixers I would be on cloud 9.

And lets not forget that nearly all previous champions have won with 2-3 other superstars on their teams. The only teams that I can even think of that didn't have clear 2-3 superstars are the Mavs from last season and the Pistons from 04.

What did you or other fans want? Stay in Cleveland and hope some FAs would want to sign there? To Cleveland? At least he played 7 seasons there and didn't demand a trade on draft day or something.

Parity!

The NBA is a superstar driven league. When the talent gets spread around more, that's more interesting to me. It's a pipe dream because the NBA always seems like it's about stacking teams.

Lebron James will never hurt for money because of endorsements. He can sign with any team he wants for a dollar. If a team was stacked in the same manner in the NFL, people would bitch and moan because it takes some of the sport out of the game. It's a whole lot easier to do that with 5 players on the court instead of 22 players on the field. I mean, of course you would want your own team to pull that off because as fans, we're selfish.

Maybe some people like how the NBA is dynasty driven. I think the league would have broader appeal if the success was more spread out. Which is probably a strange thing to say since many people viewed the early 90s as a golden era of basketball.

LJ11

There isn't enough talent to spread out, NBA needs fewer teams if you ask me.

Also seems that they don't develop young talent properly, maybe I'm wrong though. Hard not to draw that conclusion when teams sell draft picks, including first rounders, or give up first rounders so they can take on shitty expiring contracts.

With the NFL, your team can go from shit to very good in very little time. Chalk it up to a deep talent pool and coaching.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
There isn't enough talent to spread out, NBA needs fewer teams if you ask me.

Also seems that they don't develop young talent properly, maybe I'm wrong though. Hard not to draw that conclusion when teams sell draft picks, including first rounders, or give up first rounders so they can take on a shitty expiring contracts.

With the NFL, your team can go from shit to very good in very little time. Chalk it up to a deep talent pool and coaching.

Yeah it seems like the NBA could lose about 4-6 teams and not very many people would notice. It's a hard thing for me to admit simply because the Bucks are on that list of teams that should be contracted whenever the subject comes up.

I wonder if the issue with player development comes from the fact that a lot of these kids are so young when they enter the NBA. Not every player is a Lebron or Kobe and could really benefit from more than just a year playing for some NBA factory college.

The NFL probably has more upward and downward movement with teams because the margin for error is so small. When you play 16 games a year and then the playoffs don't compensate for a team having a bad day, it's really easy for a good team to get bounced out. Whereas the NBA has more statistical smoothing so it's a lot harder to say that the best team didn't win.

RBH

For the NBA, I've been in favor of contraction as well as fewer teams qualifying for the playoffs for a long time now.

Just not enough talent to spread across 30 teams, and some of the teams that do qualify for the playoffs really have no business being there at all in the first place.

Top Bottom