• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

Sanjuro

You might find that in older fans, yes. Though I'm an older fan and I detest the Eagles more than I've ever detested any Cowboys team in the 90's.

I don't think there's any question that the Eagles are the bigger rivals and that's due to the success they've had in the division over the last 10 years. No question.

1253885876_suicide.gif

Helps that they are within driving distance.

RBH

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith has written to Roger Goodell asking the NFL commissioner to reopen the investigation of the New Orleans Saints' bounty program.

In an interview with Pro Football Talk Live, Smith said he intended to talk to Goodell and would point out areas of the investigation that he believes failed, in addition to particulars that he says the league should re-examine.

"Frankly, I believe that the investigators let the commissioner down," Smith told Pro Football Talk Live. "Our hope, and certainly it will be a message from me to the league soon, is that given all of the recantations and all of the contradictions and, as exemplified by the video, all of the things that are clearly not clear, shouldn't we be taking another hard look about where this investigation failed the commissioner?"

On Monday, the NFL released a horde of evidence gathered during its investigation of the Saints. The evidence included a sheet of paper the league alleges showed a $35,000 prize, with $5,000 donated by Saints interim coach Joe Vitt, specifically, for knocking former Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the 2010 NFC Championship Game.

The league also showed a video clip in which former Saints defensive end Anthony Hargrove purportedly said, "Give me the money," regarding injuring Favre.

In his letter to Goodell, obtained by PFT, Smith said the league's investigation "has come under question for being unprofessional, unsubstantiated and incomplete.

"In the days since the June 18 hearing, first-hand witnesses to the Saints defensive team meetings who the League actually interviewed, have clearly and publicly stated that the NFL grossly mischaracterized the information they provided to NFL investigators and knowingly misrepresented the facts surrounding this investigation," Smith wrote.

In the letter, Smith cited several "mischaracterizations" league investigators made to the commissioner, as well as several cases of "extremely specious evidence" that the NFL used:

• Vitt insisted to investigators that Saints defenders never had intent to injure opposing players, never attempted to injure using illegal techniques and never targeted players with alleged bounties on them.

"I stated from Day 1 to investigators -- and I hope they took good notes -- our players have done nothing wrong. Nothing wrong," Vitt said, according to the letter. "Our players never crossed the white lines with an intent to injure anybody."

• Mike Ornstein, a close friend and confidant of suspended Saints coach Sean Payton, refuted what investigators told Goodell.

Ornstein is alleged to have sent Payton emails from prison offering up bounties for hits. But Ornstein said the emails weren't intended for Payton or former Saints defensive coordinator Greg Williams, nor did they place bounties on players.

• Smith says there is no visual evidence of Hargrove saying, "Give me the money," in the subtitled game clip from the 2010 NFC Championship Game.

• Smith also says the league has failed to identify the author or any first-hand witnesses of the piece of paper the NFL alleges depicts a $35,000 bounty prize against the Vikings.

Smith wrote the holes in the evidence and the denials of key parties such as Vitt and Ornstein are telling.

"All of this information makes it clear that the people who presented the information from the NFL's investigation to you egregiously failed you because they did not present a full and complete account of the entirety of the testimony and information they received," Smith said in the letter.

The NFL responded to Smith's letter Friday.

"I wish that (Smith) would have come to the hearing on Monday because he would have seen how earnest an effort the commissioner personally made to have the players comment and tell him what their side of the story is," league counsel Jeff Pash told ESPN. "I think he would have been very impressed by the presentation Mary Jo White (an outside lawyer hired by the NFL to review its bounty probe) made.

"He would have had an opportunity to see the evidence and hear the witness statements and how it all weaves together, which is how a good prosecutor puts a case up. It is a mosaic. Focusing on any one piece of the mosaic may not tell you very much. When you put it all together, it paints quite a clear picture. If De had been able to be here Monday and participate in the hearing, he would have a different view perhaps than what he has today."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page...roger-goodell-reopen-probe-new-orleans-saints

demaurice+smith+chris+mortensen+espn+nflpa+george+martin+roger+goodell+football+statistical+analysis+nfl+mock+draft+statistics+2010+lockout+stats.jpg

DeaconKnowledge said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnutUk02Sk0
One of the many reasons. It helps that despite the Eagles totally ending the Giants season with that game in 2010 - they haven't been the same since either (got shat out of the playoffs by the Pack and followed it up with an 8-8 Dream Team season). Oh yeah and another Super Bowl win certainly doesn't hurt either.

squicken

You might find that in older fans, yes. Though I'm an older fan and I detest the Eagles more than I've ever detested any Cowboys team in the 90's.

I don't think there's any question that the Eagles are the bigger rivals and that's due to the success they've had in the division over the last 10 years. No question.

a.gif

I can see that, but if the Cowboys win the division again they'll be right back to the top of the hate list. Now the Redskins, they are the ones who have really fallen off the other fans radar.

What if Wellington Mara never talked Lombardi out of the Eagles job?

I don't really go for the goth chicks but his granddaughter looked pretty damn good in that James Bond movie. Wellington's alright by me

Sanjuro

Miami to the South, Indy to the North and Baltimore to the East. AFC problem solved.
Cowboys to the South, Carolina to the East. NFC problem solved.

I miss having the Colts in the east, but I would take Baltimore. Problem there is the subtraction of Miami. TRADITION.

One of the many reasons. It helps that despite the Eagles totally ending the Giants season with that game in 2010 - they haven't been the same since either (got shat out of the playoffs by the Pack and followed it up with an 8-8 Dream Team season). Oh yeah and another Super Bowl win certainly doesn't hurt either.

I'd hate the shit out of any team that did that to me too. NFL Network's gonna be showing that game for the next 50 years.

snesfreak

Banned
Miami to the South, Indy to the North and Baltimore to the East. AFC problem solved.
Cowboys to the South, Carolina to the East. NFC problem solved.
Flacco vs. Brady twice a year?
Battle of the NFL's best QBs!

Also, ugh to having to play the fucking Cowgirls twice a year.

Draxal

That might have been true in the 80's/90's but that paradigm has shifted in the last decade. If you were to ask most Giants fans who the biggest rival in the division is - I'm willing to bet a large number would say the Eagles.

That would certainly be my answer.

It's definitely this for me as well.

The rivalries in the NFC East go Washington/Dallas (basically George Allen vs Tom Landry), and Giants/Eagles. The Giants always sucked in Dallas's heyday(70's, mid 90's), and the Eagles always had the Giants numbers when the Giants were good, back to Bob Ryan's days.. Mind you, I definitely don't like the Yankees/Lakers/Cowboys fans (they always root for those three exact teams) walking around. The proximity between NY and Philadelphia is also a gigantic factor.

Watching Sportscenter and seeing the Heat celebrate, I can't even really hate on LeBron. Dude somewhat stepped up this year and finally got it done, yes the whole Decision bullshit was the biggest piece of junk ever, but that is done.

Congrats to the city of Clevela...Oh sorry.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Watching Sportscenter and seeing the Heat celebrate, I can't even really hate on LeBron. Dude somewhat stepped up this year and finally got it done, yes the whole Decision bullshit was the biggest piece of junk ever, but that is done.

Totally not surprised that a Pats fan has no problems with a team full of bandwagon fans.

Have you seen what Freeman does to a Locos Taco box?

Thankfully tacos don't have feelings!

yeah i feel the same. we had our fun hating on him all these years now he must be given his due props because he's the main reason the heat won

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Not sure if you know what you're talking about there.

Heat fans are bandwagon fans, Pat fans were non existent pre-Brady (except for a few fans).

Therefore a Pats fan would have no problem with Heat fans since they're cut from the same cloth.

It works darn it.

I'm not talking about the fans
Or the lack thereof
or the franchise. Just talking about LeBron.

Okay look, I may have no idea what I'm talking about but the point remains.

The Cheatriots suck.

Sanjuro

Heat fans are bandwagon fans, Pat fans were non existent pre-Bledsoe (except for a few fans).

Therefore a Pats fan would have no problem with Heat fans since they're cut from the same cloth.

It works darn it.

Fixed that for you.

You should know me and my feelings about Miami and California sports teams by now anyway.

squicken

Do they show American SportsCenter or does Dutchia use its own anchors?

I was shocked at how the heat killed okc

they really didn't. they won the series 4-1, but the thunder very easily could have won games 2-4 if they executed in the last couple minutes of each game. it was something different every game though. game 2 they blew open look after open look, game 3 they missed like 12 FT's and lost by 3 or 4, game 4 they had the game and just let it slip away with horrible turnovers and bonehead plays late.

the only game that was a thrashing was the last game and the heat were just shooting out of their minds

they really didn't. they won the series 4-1, but the thunder very easily could have won games 2-4 if they executed in the last couple minutes of each game. it was something different every game though. game 2 they blew open look after open look, game 3 they missed like 12 FT's and lost by 3 or 4, game 4 they had the game and just let it slip away with horrible turnovers and bonehead plays late.

the only game that was a thrashing was the last game and the heat were just shooting out of their minds

I was reffering to the last game.

OKC probably should have been up in the series.A few calls their way and they win easily

Top Bottom