• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

It's the philosophy of the NBA that's fucked up. Everyone wants to be Lebron or Kobe. Jerry Sloan retired because Deron Williams refused to follow his coaching.

In the NFL the glamour positions are marginalized to Wide receiver and running back. No team is going to put up with a diva offensive tackle.

DeaconKnowledge said:
It's the philosophy of the NBA that's fucked up. Everyone wants to be Lebron or Kobe. Jerry Sloan retired because Deron Williams refused to follow his coaching.

In the NFL the glamour positions are marginalized to Wide receiver and running back. No team is going to put up with a diva offensive tackle.

Shane Battier just won a ring and was a big part of the run, your argument is invalid. Also, are you comparing Deron Williams to an OT?

Shane Battier just won a ring and was a big part of the run, your argument is invalid. Also, are you comparing Deron Williams to an OT?

rolleyes-apu-and-skinner-o.gif

cashman

Banned

shane was pretty much a ghost until the last 6 games of the season..

Actually a lot of the reason Miami won was because their garbage role players got hot.

effzee

Parity!

The NBA is a superstar driven league. When the talent gets spread around more, that's more interesting to me. It's a pipe dream because the NBA always seems like it's about stacking teams.

Lebron James will never hurt for money because of endorsements. He can sign with any team he wants for a dollar. If a team was stacked in the same manner in the NFL, people would bitch and moan because it takes some of the sport out of the game. It's a whole lot easier to do that with 5 players on the court instead of 22 players on the field. I mean, of course you would want your own team to pull that off because as fans, we're selfish.

Maybe some people like how the NBA is dynasty driven. I think the league would have broader appeal if the success was more spread out. Which is probably a strange thing to say since many people viewed the early 90s as a golden era of basketball.

I never said I like the way it is. But my point was he was FA. He didn't demand a trade. He played for 7 long seasons in Cleveland. He had freedom to choose. Now I think how he did it was stupid as hell but I don't see how in sports where you have guys who cheat on their wives, do drugs, drink and drive, and are charged with rape or assault, the one guy who gets shit on more than any other is the guy whose mistake was THE DECISION.

As a Sixers fan I would love for there to be more parity, more talent, and fewer teams. But it is what it is and within that system Lebron didn't do anything wrong. No previous HOF player or dynasty team won with just 1 HOF player, so lets not kill Lebron for joining forces. It also helps that this playoff run he pretty much took the team on his back since Wade was really inconsistent, and at times terrible, and Bosh was out. The finals have been anomaly because before this, none of their role players were stepping up.

squicken

Why don't you guys like baseball? It's the perfect game to listen to on the radio while you're grilling or exercising or something.

It's never been the same since the Astros got relegated to AAA. I am enjoying the Euro-Cup thing, though. The Germans wrecking the Greeks seemed oddly fitting

MechDX

It's never been the same since the Astros got relegated to AAA. I am enjoying the Euro-Cup thing, though. The Germans wrecking the Greeks seemed oddly fitting

Dont forget they also go to the American League next year. HR records being broken in Minute Maid Park while feasting on Astro's "pitching"...

I'm taking my old man and grandfather to the Diamondbacks game on Sunday. We'll be sitting in the section right behind the home plate, sweet seats! Will be a nice way to spend time with my grandfather before he moves back to Chicago (coincidentally, we are playing the Cubs).

squicken

Dont forget they also go to the American League next year. HR records being broken in Minute Maid Park while feasting on Astro's "pitching"...

Nothing gets close to the extended awfulness of the Astros in the town's sports history. There's no excuse like with PIT where they have no money. I'm seeing kids with Rangers hats. Probably the kids of losers/Cowboys fans, but still. Very disappointing

Finally, the Mariners will no longer be the perennial cellar dwellers in the AL West!

God Selig screwed us over. The As and Mariners and Astros are supposed to be rivals now? How long have the Rangers been in the West, and none of the WC teams ever gave a crap about them?

cdyhybrid

Nothing gets close to the extended awfulness of the Astros in the town's sports history. There's no excuse like with PIT where they have no money. I'm seeing kids with Rangers hats. Probably the kids of losers/Cowboys fans, but still. Very disappointing

God Selig screwed us over. The As and Mariners and Astros are supposed to be rivals now? How long have the Rangers been in the West, and none of the WC teams ever gave a crap about them?

We don't have any rivals because we're awful. I think the average M's fan hates the Yanks and Sawx more than anyone in the division aside from maybe the Angels.

squicken

We don't have any rivals because we're awful. I think the average M's fan hates the Yanks and Sawx more than anyone in the division aside from maybe the Angels.

Reminds me of the NFCW. They are both thrown together divisions with little or no history. The message boards seem to show a little 49ers/SEA rivalry, so at least there's that. Rams need to move to LA to really get the division set right

LJ11

At least you're not Padre fans. They trade Gonzalez and have what to show for it? Lets trade the best bat in the deal to the Cubs! At least they have the weather.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I never said I like the way it is. But my point was he was FA. He didn't demand a trade. He played for 7 long seasons in Cleveland. He had freedom to choose. Now I think how he did it was stupid as hell but I don't see how in sports where you have guys who cheat on their wives, do drugs, drink and drive, and are charged with rape or assault, the one guy who gets shit on more than any other is the guy whose mistake was THE DECISION.

As a Sixers fan I would love for there to be more parity, more talent, and fewer teams. But it is what it is and within that system Lebron didn't do anything wrong. No previous HOF player or dynasty team won with just 1 HOF player, so lets not kill Lebron for joining forces. It also helps that this playoff run he pretty much took the team on his back since Wade was really inconsistent, and at times terrible, and Bosh was out. The finals have been anomaly because before this, none of their role players were stepping up.

This is true, people will eventually forget "the Decision" because everyone forgot about Kobe's sexual assault back in 2003. I don't remember the last time Lebron went to prison or anything. Then again, I'm overly sensitive to star players stabbing their town in the back (or at least, rubbing their noses in it via a one hour special on ESPN, Favre didn't do that!).

Moral of the story? ESPN deserves as much hate for all of the ball washing they've given Lebron over the years.

Olympics start in July.

I love even numbered years. We get the World Cup or Olympics!

US is going to be awful in 2014 aren't they?

I will support the US in 2014, so we will lose in dramatic fashion in the finals or blow up without ever having a chance.

And without me supporting the Dutchies, they will become world champions.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I will support the US in 2014, so we will lose in dramatic fashion in the finals or blow up without ever having a chance.

And without me supporting the Dutchies, they will become world champions.

US in the finals?

That would be an amazing improvement.

Like the best we've done since what? the 30s?

MechDX

Reminds me of the NFCW. They are both thrown together divisions with little or no history. The message boards seem to show a little 49ers/SEA rivalry, so at least there's that. Rams need to move to LA to really get the division set right

And move the Cowboys to the NFC South. Why the hell are they in the east with Washington, NY and Philly? Dont give me that tradition BS.

MechDX said:
And move the Cowboys to the NFC South. Why the hell are they in the east with Washington, NY and Philly? Dont give me that tradition BS.
Moving the Panthers to the East then?

It wouldn't work. The Cowboys are fine where they are. Too much history even though you don't want to hear that.

This is true, people will eventually forget "the Decision" because everyone forgot about Kobe's sexual assault back in 2003. I don't remember the last time Lebron went to prison or anything. Then again, I'm overly sensitive to star players stabbing their town in the back (or at least, rubbing their noses in it via a one hour special on ESPN, Favre didn't do that!).

Moral of the story? ESPN deserves as much hate for all of the ball washing they've given Lebron over the years.

This reminds me; aside from Packer fans I don't get why everybody hates Favre. I wish he was still in the NFL.

squicken

This will never happen. The biggest rival for every other team in that division is the Cowboys. Everyone wants to beat America's Team

This reminds me; aside from Packer fans I don't get why everybody hates Favre. I wish he was still in the NFL.

Peter King had a lot to do with it. So many of his columns were on Favre.

squicken said:
The biggest rival for every other team in that division is the Cowboys.
That might have been true in the 80's/90's but that paradigm has shifted in the last decade. If you were to ask most Giants fans who the biggest rival in the division is - I'm willing to bet a large number would say the Eagles.

That would certainly be my answer.

squicken

That might have been true in the 90's but that paradigm has shifted. If you were to ask most Giants fans who the biggest rival in the division is - I'm willing to be a large number would say the Eagles.

That would certainly be my answer.

I would say it's strengthened but I would still think it's Dallas that moves the needle more.

And the AFCS is close second to the NFCW as far as bastard divisions. It didn't help that Manning stunted any chance of rivalries developing b/c he always won

squicken said:
I would say it's strengthened but I would still think it's Dallas that moves the needle more.
You might find that in older fans, yes. Though I'm an older fan and I detest the Eagles more than I've ever detested any Cowboys team in the 90's.

I don't think there's any question that the Eagles are the bigger rivals and that's due to the success they've had in the division over the last 10 years. No question.

LJ11 said:
What if Wellington Mara never talked Lombardi out of the Eagles job?
R2NBa.gif

Top Bottom