• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

I can only imagine how insane the backlash for the PS4/Xbox720 is going to be.

"What do you mean my PC is still 10x faster how can this beeee?!?!?!?! I'm swearing off consoles forever!" *goes back to playing Age of Empires 2*

snesfreak

Banned
I want to see HD Mario (real Mario, not that 2.5D crap) and Zelda, I don't give a SHIT about Nintendoland.
Probably have to wait a while for Zelda, but Mario could happen at E3 next year.
If Nintendo has it ready for next year and not 2014.
*freakin' Nintendo and their stupid only showing stuff coming out this year crap*

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I want a new, non-gimmicky Zelda. A new 3D Mario. A new 2D Mario. A new Metroid without any of that fucking silliness in Other M. I want some Xenoblade-esqe RPGs. I want Pikmin 3. I want Kid Icarus in the style of Super Mario Galaxy. I want some innovative, fun, happy shiny titles of the kind only Nintendo can really do.

And I want games on a consistent basis and not on a pace that makes me feel as if I wasted valuable money on this bullshit.

image.jpg

440-Bulletin_Board_Attraction_Card.jpg

LJ11

What about dirty/late hits trying to injure the player?

Do players need an extra 5k-10k to take a guy out? I'm just not sure that money was the true motivator, but maybe I'm wrong.

I do think the culture they created, taking guys out and laying vicious hits that were sometimes late or high, was a a big driver. Once they got this whole thing going, it became a badge of honor, you were recognized within the group, and everyone wanted to share in that. Everyone wants a gold star next to their name, money was just another bonus.

This type of behavior feeds itself, you see one guy do it, then the next, and eventually everyone is doing it. So while money is certainly a carrot, the group dynamic drove it much more, money was just the starting off point.

You can get the same end result without financial incentives, you see certain teams playing at or over the edge all the time, depends on the coaches and how they reward the individual within the group. I hope what I wrote made sense.

Fox318

Probably have to wait a while for Zelda, but Mario could happen at E3 next year.
If Nintendo has it ready for next year and not 2014.
*freakin' Nintendo and their stupid only showing stuff coming out this year crap*

Nintendo under Yamauchi was an awesome company.

Nintendo under Iwata has not been. Outside of the DS the man has moved the company in a horrible direction that doesn't leave them open for much wiggle room. The company spent most of their assets gained from the Wii sales on what? Wii U development?

if it makes you feel better the bucs will win the NFC South this year(With the Panthers getting the Wild Card spot). :)

Players don't need bounties to target players, it doesn't need to be in the "gameplan," they do it because it's part of football. Knocking the shit out of your opponent is what they're paid to do. Realize that most of these guys don't care about the health or well being of the guy lining up across from them. The Giant players were targeting K.Williams because he had a concussion history, whether the coaches pointed it out or not is irrelevant, they were more than willing to go out and put him in the hospital at the first opportunity.

I know you're not this naive, it's a brutal sport, and these guys are wiling to do whatever it takes. This is football, it's always been this way. Saints may have targeted specific body parts or whatever, but I'm sure players can figure it out on their own when a coach tells them to knock the fuck out of X player.
Late to comment

I understand it was a brutal sport and the players will do what players do but since the activities were being lead by and controlled by the coaching staff I feel it's fair to question the team and super bowl victory integrity.

What if Greg Williams was calling games early in the year rushing Blitiz like crazy to injure a QB that they might see in the playoffs? What if he was rushing his secondary not to create pressure but to create harm?

Its no Black Sox but they should be looked at differently than other SB winning or Conference winning teams.

snesfreak

Banned
Nintendo under Yamauchi was an awesome company.

Nintendo under Iwata has not been. Outside of the DS the man has moved the company in a horrible direction that doesn't leave them open for much wiggle room. The company spent most of their assets gained from the Wii sales on what? Wii U development?
Nintendo under Yamauchi alienated third parties with crazy policies and crazier decisions.
Which is how Sony was able to get all the support they had.
And yes, Nintendo has spent money on it's new system.
What's your point?
It's new fucking tech that's been in development for years.
if it makes you feel better the bucs will win the NFC South this year(With the Panthers getting the Wild Card spot). :)
Bucs will win the Super Bowl.
The Scamthers will maybe win 2 games after Scam gets busted again and Roger gets medieval on his ass.

Rorschach

Do players need an extra 5k-10k to take a guy out? I'm just not sure that money was the true motivator, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not saying for money. I'm saying in general. That Vikes game was flagrant. You could see it during the game. Well, everyone except the refs could see it. It's not an after-the-fact thing where you look back and say "oh yea, I totally knew" after new stuff came to light. It was blatant. The week 1 thread after the SB was "NFL Week 1 2010|OT| - Defending Champs v Favre's Ankle (ft. Fashionably Late Hits)" :p

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The Yankees need to stop winning by 6 runs

I think I'm gonna die with this 50% deal =/

Small Original Crust Buffalo Chicken (cut up chickenstrip pieces), with Extra Chicken + Onions + Mushroom - $13.50

1 Cinapie - $4.50

3 2L Sodas - $6.00 (2 Mountain Dew and 1 Sierra Mist Natural)

Grand total $24, I paid $12.80... So GOOD!, yet so bad

Greg

The Yankees need to stop winning by 6 runs

I think I'm gonna die with this 50% deal =/

Small Original Crust Buffalo Chicken (cut up chickenstrip pieces), with Extra Chicken + Onions + Mushroom - $13.50

1 Cinapie - $4.50

3 2L Sodas - $6.00 (2 Mountain Dew and 1 Sierra Mist Natural)

Grand total $24, I paid $12.80... So GOOD!, yet so bad
6 liters of soda and a 5-dollar dessert?

Do it right and order a 2nd pizza instead!

Fox318

Nintendo under Yamauchi alienated third parties with crazy policies and crazier decisions.
Which is how Sony was able to get all the support they had.
And yes, Nintendo has spent money on it's new system.
What's your point?
It's new fucking tech that's been in development for years.
NES/SNES were awesome years and they sought after 3rd party devs like crazy back then. The quality stuff back then lead to better games. The N64 had his stupid philosophy of making the programming harder than it needed to be. Gamecube fixed that with a much better dev support. Only thing that I wish they changed was the Gamecube disc and adding a second shoulder button to the Gamecube controller.

Bucs will win the Super Bowl.
The Scamthers will maybe win 2 games after Scam gets busted again and Roger gets medieval on his ass.

Don't get crazy I said they would make the playoffs.

NES/SNES were awesome years and they sought after 3rd party devs like crazy back then. The quality stuff back then lead to better games. The N64 had his stupid philosophy of making the programming harder than it needed to be. Gamecube fixed that with a much better dev support. Only thing that I wish they changed was the Gamecube disc and adding a second shoulder button to the Gamecube controller.
You really dont know what you are talking about. Back in the NES/SNES days Nintendo was #1 and they forced 3rd parties to take terrible deals because they didnt really have any other options. Nintendo barely courted any 3rd parties back then.

snesfreak

Banned
You don't have to tell me how awesome those days were, trust me.
You really dont know what you are talking about. Back in the NES/SNES days Nintendo was #1 and they forced 3rd parties to take terrible deals because they didnt really have any other options. Nintendo barely courted any 3rd parties back then.
Basically, which is why they bolted for Sony.

LJ11

I'm not saying for money. I'm saying in general. That Vikes game was flagrant. You could see it during the game. Well, everyone except the refs could see it. It's not an after-the-fact thing where you look back and say "oh yea, I totally knew" after new stuff came to light. It was blatant. The week 1 thread after the SB was "NFL Week 1 2010|OT| - Defending Champs v Favre's Ankle (ft. Fashionably Late Hits)" :p

Dirty hits/intentionally trying to injure someone can without a doubt lead to a competitive advantage if you achieve your end result (injury), but I don't think the bounties in and of themselves constituted a competitive advantage.

Coaches can cultivate this brutish/savage behavior without financial incentives, and often times do.

Fox318

But those shitty deals lead to a ton of great games on the Super Nintendo. Not to mention that Nintendo on the hardware side had a system which was on par with the times. Some of the best video game music came from SNes superior sound tech.

Yes Nintendo had a near monopoly of the hardware space with the Snes but third party stuff such as was good on the system.

Look at what Microsoft and even to an extent steam have for their restrictions. There is still third party and system restrictions although they are not nearly as bad as Nintendo cartrage shit from back in the day.

squicken

Joey Votto comes to mind.

[ig]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1049708/votto-strikeout-o.gif[/img]

But that's a sub marine delivery and his swing is almost self preservation. Kershaw just broke off a filthy curve on that guy. In Little League kids bail on curves thinking the ball will hit them. That guy turned his back to take the HBP thinking it would hit him. I can't really recall the last time I saw a major leaguer so fooled.

looks like he's been hanging out with sam bradford

PsHO7.jpg

In his dreams can Freeman look as goofy as Bradford

Wrayfield

that's a good suggestion. when I was there last (jeez last feb? march?) I looked at tickets for the Book for Mormon and the cheapest ones from the box office were around 2000 dollars.

Catching up on the thread, been to NYC twice this year (it's near-ish work) and did the usual tourist things first time around. Second time around I went went to some nice places food-wise. My favourite was this small seafood restaurant. Never mind that it's tiny (you literally have to squeeze past others as it's a narrow room, its weird name (naked?), or the sometimes curt staff (they are not, they are just busy cooking and serving right in front of you) -- that was the best seafood I had in New York in two weeks, and the wine wasn't too bad either. Possibly the best restaurant overall. Something for smaller groups for obvious reasons.

If I were you, I'd skip Wolfgang's. Went there on a recommendation and while the steaks were great, they were by far not the best I've had. But, had a great time watching basketball after dinner and drinking with the Macedonian waiters until the wee hours when the place was already closed.

A New Yorker would probably have better tips, but maybe you are around there. Forget about Book of Mormon tix, it's ridiculous right now. We tried as well and the cheapest were around 800 dollars :(. Went to Avenue Q instead and that was dirt cheap, all considering, and pretty nice.

bionic77

System wars coming to GAF?

I am down for that.

I like Japanese games more than Western games so I have to decide between Sony and Nintendo. Tough choice but since Nintendo makes Kid Icarus (game of the year) and I am going to buy a 3DS (supersized of course, of whatever the fuck they call it) soon, I think I will throw my hat into the ring for Nintendo.

You have a comrade now SNES! We can form our own Madden league this winter. It will be a league of two, but trust me everyone on GAF is going to be jealous as shit!

Top Bottom