• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

Colasante

people who say that the wire is the greatest show ever are people who haven't seen breaking bad. and this is coming from someone who loved the wire!

Breaking Bad was approaching Wire territory the first two seasons, but since it abandoned the realistic drama it started with and ventured into over-the-top comic book-level fare, what with the silent Terminator-like Cousins and omniscient archvillain Gus, it's nowhere near The Wire.

BigAT

I wonder if she will somehow try to claim half of the $7 million he isn't making this year. It sounds stupid, but I've seen even more foolish claims made in divorce battles.

i compare the wire more to the shield. it's basically a cop drama. they are both awesome shows. but neither one is as good as breaking bad. breaking bad has such a tight storyline and it balances the drama and the dark humor so well that nothing can touch it.

yeah, it's a bit on the unrealistic side at times, but no different than some of the shit omar pulled in the wire. and i hate that you assholes are making me down talk the wire because i love the wire!

also bionic i somewhat feel the same about music in general, but that's only because what the music companies were pushing in the 80's/90's isn't what they are pushing today. to some youngsters, the music of today is more relevant and meaningful to our culture than ever before.

some of the bands i have really grown to love over the past 10 years who aren't really "huge" in the same way nirvana or radiohead are: the kills, silversun, witchcraft/graveyard, jack white (in his various bands.... not the raconteurs though!), the mars volta, mini mansions, josh homme (everything he does is gold!), yeah yeah yeahs, vitalic, wolfmother, anything mike patton has done, kill hannah (before they sold out!), tenacious d (joke band but some of their shit is really good).... there are others that have come out in the past decade or so that i can't think of (dont have my mp3's on this laptop to check either).

there were a couple years there where i just didn't go in search of new music and was content to just listen to all the albums from my youth but if you open your mind you may find some new instant classics for yourself!

Doomsayer

radiohead is a great band but their last album sucked dick. and what a shame that you barely listen to music anymore. there is tons and tons of great new bands that have come out in the past decade if you just keep your eyes open!

Their last album wasn't that bad. I just want to know where they hid their instruments, maybe for the next album they can bring out the guitars again?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Supplemental draft set for July 12:

The Supplemental Draft is set up with a bidding process of picks. As I understand it, teams submit a round for which they would draft a player. The highest pick offered wins the bidding and forfeits that pick in the following season's regular draft.

This year's draft features eight eligible players:

Boise State DB Quaylon Ewing
Baylor WR Josh Gordon
Syracuse RB Adam Harris
Iowa State T Adrian Haughton
Carson-Newman LB Larry Lumpkin
Georgia DE Montez Robinson
McMurray WR Houston Tuminello
TCU RB Ed Wesley

Breaking Bad is my favorite television show but to me it seems like it's the type of show that can really drive some people away.

I also love Mad Men, although not as much.

Edit: Music? I'm really open minded but I always end up going back to the Gorillaz.

Ænima

i compare the wire more to the shield. it's basically a cop drama. they are both awesome shows. but neither one is as good as breaking bad. breaking bad has such a tight storyline and it balances the drama and the dark humor so well that nothing can touch it.
I love BB but sometimes the humor falls flat for me. Vic's one-liners on the other hand are always great.

I think I've watched the first three eps of s1 and I can't get into it. Does it get better? 'Cause right now it's mostly just boring the :blarry out of me.

Does The Wire get better? Absolutely. I usually tell people to watch the first four episodes because of the slow start. It's worth watching. If only to make more pop culture references make sense

I have a wildly eclectic taste in music. I'll listen to just about anything. From AC/DC and Dragonforce to Disney soundtrack songs. Just all over the place.

But I'm not sure I have a whole album of anything on my iPod. Just 1400+ songs from hundreds of artists. Plenty of different playlists depending on my mood or what I'm doing. Lots of rock for working out.

Goddamn. I looked everywhere for a "Cam Knows" t-shirt from Nike and they're sold out. Nice to see Panthers stuff sold out finally, but I wanted that. :lol

squicken

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8125450/packing-miles-hurt-team-overpaying-kicker

As you might suspect, the NFC West gets royally jobbed by their travel requirements every year. Of the 10 longest distances traveled by teams in a given season over the past 10 years, seven belong to either the Seahawks or the 49ers. Last year, our model suggests, the Niners paced the league with 29,212 round-trip miles, but it doesn't know that San Francisco stayed in Ohio between road games against the Bengals and Eagles as opposed to flying back to San Francisco. Once you account for that, the Seahawks led the league by accruing just under 27,000 miles. The Chargers were a nose behind them, which is also no surprise; the three remaining slots in our top 10 belong to seasons from the Chargers and Raiders.

Likewise, the AFC North is the division for those who don't enjoy traveling. Nine of the 10 regular-season travel schedules since 2002 with the fewest miles belong to AFC North teams, with the 2008 Bears sneaking in at the bottom of the list.

OK. So the Broncos overpaid for Prater. It's only a little over $3 million per year, and Denver gets to reward a player who made their fan base very happy last season. Who cares, right? Well, if you're a Broncos fan, you should care, because the Prater signing creates problems for the team in terms of opportunity cost. The difference between using Prater and signing someone like Shayne Graham will be close to $2.5 million per year over the terms of the deal. That's $2.5 million that the Broncos can't use on a deal to lock up left tackle Ryan Clady or on a steady backup behind Willis McGahee at halfback. And there's no guarantee that Prater will be any better of a kicker in 2012 than Graham would be.

Denver's thin air allows them to get more out of average kickers than anyone else in football. They should use that to their advantage and exploit a built-in market inefficiency by being thrifty at kicker and applying the savings elsewhere. Instead, the Broncos have handcuffed themselves to a known mediocrity for years to come.

Helping to uncover league conspiracy against the NFC WEST and why the Broncos made another dumb offseason move

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm looking for that great comic that you posted a while ago.

With all the countries being all patriotic and such and then the German guy get thrown in jail for doing the same.

Quick n' Dirty google search had something similiar...

5iErB.jpg

From what I understand, you could have one about England as well since "English pride" is frowned upon but Scottish, Welsh, and Irish pride is A-Okay.

Quick n' Dirty google search had something similiar...

5iErB.jpg

From what I understand, you could have one about England as well since "English pride" is frowned upon but Scottish, Welsh, and Irish pride is A-Okay.

Yes that's the one!

I couldn't find it on Google.

linkboy

Eh, nothing new really. SF has had to deal with some of the most travel since forever. Puts their record 18 game road winning streak back in the late 80s into perspective somewhat though.

This was the teams they played in that streak. Anything with a D is a division game.

San Diego
Atlanta (D)
Chicago

Indy
Tampa Bay
Philadelphia
New Orleans (D)
Dallas
New York Jets
Atlanta (D)
LA Rams (D)

New Orleans (D)
Houston
Atlanta (D)
Green Bay (last time SF has won in GB as well)
Dallas
Cincinnati
LA Rams
Minnesota

Remember, the NFC West used to consist of the following teams

Atlanta
New Orleans
LA\St. Louis
Carolina

If anything, the NFL has helped the 49ers by readjusting the divisions like they did. Seattle, St. Louis and Arizona cuts their travel time down by a lot.

Talon

I had a weird relationship with Steve Young as a kid.

On one hand, I was supposed to hate him. On the other hand, I loved watching him play. But he didn't compare to my based God:
t_19417_07.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What does this mean? They can't tag him now?

Burbank's ruling means if Brees does not sign a long-term contract this summer and plays out the 2012 season under his current franchise number, the 2013 season is the last time he can be tagged. In addition, a tag in 2013 would earn him a pay raise of 144 percent.

Brees' current tag is worth $16.371 million, which won't change with the ruling. However, taking into account the 144-percent raise, a would-be tag in 2013 would put Brees' cap number at $23,574,240, according to ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton. If the Saints chose to use their exclusive-rights tag on Brees in 2013, that would put his two-year earnings at $39,945,240, or a little less than $20 million per year.

The Saints and Brees are locked in a protracted contract battle and have until July 16 to hammer out a long-term extension.

squicken

I had a weird relationship with Steve Young as a kid.

On one hand, I was supposed to hate him. On the other hand, I loved watching him play. But he didn't compare to my based God:
t_19417_07.jpg

Yep. Even though he's shamefully turned his back on Tebow, if I was going to take one player in his prime, it would be Elway

squicken

The Brees thing is funny b/c it was suggested the arbitrator would give the union a "win" since he's mostly sided with the league. And it only nets Brees about $5m, and probably will apply to about 3 people over the life of the CBA

The Saints still have the leverage. Brees already wants $20m/yr, which he'll get with two tags. But after that he'd be 33 with a diminished market value.

edit: dp sorry

I think Brees has all the leverage. The Saints are looking at a potentially down year, they cant afford to have their best player hold out. They have to get him signed. I think all the tag rulling does is it sets the starting point for their contract talks.

Top Bottom