• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't understand why everyone seems to love 4th quarter comebacks so much as a way of judging QBs. Shouldn't all points be considered equal? If you need a comeback, you fucked up before. And above all, why is it used only in reference to QBs, when at least the Defense is just as crucial?

Or is everyone just playing around with a useless stat and I shouldn't take it seriously?

If people took it seriously Tim Tebow would having a starting job for some team in the NFL.

Striker

Most people throw it around as number they know is a little silly. The concept of "QB wins" is becoming increasingly outmoded as well
It's often going to be pretty vague and little informative on the QB. I mean, yeah, Joe Flacco has some road wins. He also won on the road in New England by completing four passes, and throwing for 34 yards.

4th Quarter Comeback wins is something where either the defense was not good and the offense took a few series to get going (Giants) or the offense in general wasn't very good (Niners). Eli had 350 pass attempts from playing behind. Just barely above 100 when playing ahead (the lack of a running game also did no favors). The Giants defense was horrible for a good part of the season and without those come from behind wins, this team wins no better than 3-4 games.

Note: Drew Brees had far more pass attempts, yards, and TD's when ahead. something something padding stats

bionic77

I don't understand why everyone seems to love 4th quarter comebacks so much as a way of judging QBs. Shouldn't all points be considered equal? If you need a comeback, you fucked up before. And above all, why is it used only in reference to QBs, when at least the Defense is just as crucial?

Or is everyone just playing around with a useless stat and I shouldn't take it seriously?
The reason it is important is because most NFL games are decided by less than 7 points. If you have a guy who can make up that difference at the end of games it changes everything. It is rare that you are going to win every game by multiple scores no matter how great your team is. Eventually things are going to be a little off or things are going to go wrong. When that happens having a guy like Ben or Eli or Tebow who can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, well you can't put a value on that.

Obviously even clutch qb's won't be able to do it all of the time, but there are some guys who just don't know or can't succeed in that circumstance. Your Flaccos, Smiths, Ryans, etc. When things are going their way they can manage the game or pile it on. But they can't seem to reverse or save a game when they meet adversity.

I think your offense will drop and your D will continue to be shit.

I think we all know that the Packers aren't going 15-1 again, so in that sense next season will be a disappointment. That said I think you guys are due for a collapse. Woodson isn't what he was even a season ago and Clay is the only other playmaker on your Defense and other teams know that.

As for the Steelers, i'm excited for the re-tooled offense but the D will be completely different this year. Steelers are soft in the middle and I expect teams to exploit that. If the defense has little drop off I expect a playoff berth this year but i'm not keeping my hopes up.

You'll keep thinking we're due for a collapse every year. Eventually you'll be right I'm sure.

We have the best QB in football. That's what it takes to win in the NFL. We'll be competitive for as long as he's healthy.

bionic77

Of course it is. Niners had a monster D and Akers achieved God mode last season. Without even looking at stats i'd say that without Akers Niners lose 2 more games last season.
Don't forget Lee.

Something fishy was going on with that guys leg! He was changing the outcomes of games...

You'll keep thinking we're due for a collapse every year. Eventually you'll be right I'm sure.

We have the best QB in football. That's what it takes to win in the NFL. We'll be competitive for as long as he's healthy.

You need defense too. Though I must say I would love to see another 15-1 choke from the Pack.

Don't forget Lee.

Something fishy was going on with that guys leg! He was changing the outcomes of games...

Niners had every possible break going for them...

...and Alex Smith at Quarterback.

eznark

Banned
Packers are one season off of being one of the best defenses in football. Saying a healthy Tramon Williams isn't a defensive playmaker is hilarious.

bionic77

Packers are one season off of being one of the best defenses in football. Saying a healthy Tramon Williams isn't a defensive playmaker is hilarious.
Wasn't the defense shitty the years prior to the SB run as well?

You can credit Williams. The rest of us will give it where it belongs, modern chemistry.

Slo

Yeah, but if we're talking about "collapse" I could see the Packers having a relatively large decline in total wins just because they won 15 games last year.

And nothing is a lock in the NFL. If Graham Harrell gets hurt the Packers are screwed.

The Packers could go 11-5 and still win the NFCN.

Our defense is going to get better. Anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy. It might not reach 2010 levels again but they're going to be solid.

Woodson didn't look any worse because he declined due to age (imo); he looked worse because he didn't have the backing behind him to do what he does best which is improvise and be a playmaker. Because there was no pass rush and the rest of the secondary issues either he'd play straight and get beat (he definitely isn't as fast as he was 5 years ago) or he'd try to be dynamic and the rest of the back end couldnt support it. He didn't have Williams shutting down his receiver or Collins' tackling and smarts to cover behind him. Not saying he's going to be DPOY again or anything, but he'll look better. We'll still be short Collins but with Williams back to normal and some pass rush again things are looking up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm still not sold on the Bears getting better.

Colasante

For someone who is only casually familiar with the Packers' roster, I was astounded to see them rank 32nd in defense last year, as I've always had the notion that they were one of the top defenses. What the hell happened- were the losses of Jenkins and Collins that devastating?

Regardless, it seems like defense is shored up now, I don't see any way they don't make the playoffs and win the North.

eznark

Banned
Collins was without a doubt the single most underrated player in football in 2010. His presence is what allowed Capers to be so creative and free. Jenkins was just a great gap opener and allowed Raji to play in shorter bursts. They were huge losses. That said, Williams injury was a giant factor as well. He played much softer which killed a lot of those timing blitzes that made the Packers defense great.

jakncoke

Banned
Packers season disappointing in that they don't go 15-1 ? Sure. Can't really see them disappointing in general though. Records Don't mean anything for the playoffs

I just want to be able to enjoy a complete team again. That'd make for a successful season for me. All of that offense sucked when you knew the other team would score again soon after (even though they couldn't keep up). I think we'll get that this year. I expect our offense to drop a bit but Im confident the D will be something to watch, in a good way.

obv mr.first15-1teamtogo1anddone

The football discussion certainly has gone up quite a bit since over the past few days. Love it. Have there been any major changes to NFL GAF during that time?

I aint sayin', but I'm just sayin'...

bionic77

ez remember when I told you that defenses always suffer the most the year after winning a Super Bowl?

Remember your response? I believe it was to go fuck myself and that I was wrong, my parents made a mistake that I was bitter over the SB loss and that to insinuate that the Packers defense was going to be worse than it was when they won the SB was quite possibly the dumbest statement ever uttered by man. And then you got mean.

eznark

Banned
ez remember when I told you that defenses always suffer the most the year after winning a Super Bowl?

Remember your response? I believe it was to go fuck myself and that I was wrong, my parents made a mistake that I was bitter over the SB loss and that to insinuate that the Packers defense was going to be worse than it was when they won the SB was quite possibly the dumbest statement ever uttered by man. And then you got mean.

Congratulations your post led to a life threatening, career ending, crippling injury to one of the most promising young players in football.

Are you proud you monster?

bionic77

Congratulations your post led to a life threatening, career ending, crippling injury to one of the most promising young players in football.

Are you proud you monster?
Blame the off brand roids your personal trainer gave to the defense.

Never get cheap with the scouts, the qb, the defense or the roids.

Don't act like you didn't love page after page of

"YOU PEOPLE" followed by "racist"

SNES will always be a part of the club so I don't mean to shit on him (I'll leave that to FMT). He just went over the deep end these past few months. Can you really blame him though since he's had to try to spin trainwreck after trainwreck from Nintendo?

Just refreshing to finally read about football again...could also just be that we're getting closer to the season.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Meh it's just how the offseason goes with any sports thread. You'll get some healthy sports conversation in there but mixed in with some foolishness.

bionic77

SNES will always be a part of the club so I don't mean to shit on him (I'll leave that to FMT). He just went over the deep end these past few months. Can you really blame him though since he's had to try to spin trainwreck after trainwreck from Nintendo?

Just refreshing to finally read about football again...could also just be that we're getting closer to the season.
Yes I can blame him. Only retards and children should get that emotionally attached to a videogame company.

Also, I will be there for WiiU*.

* eventually. I am seriously considering building or buying a HTPC as well, for gaming as well as other shit and to supplement the Wii U and my eventual 3DS Supersize XL.

Milchjon

I think the Main reason is we took a long enough break from "serious" discussion to stop being tired of the same old discussions. After the time out, we can now revisit great topics with tradition like "Does Little Hands suck?", "will Peyton survive the season" or "will the Pack D get back their old roids this season?"

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hmm bunch of my buddies are planning to go to the Bills/Titans games on October 21...not sure I will go though. The Browns play the Colts that day. May be one of few victories...

Godslay

Banned
Broncos will go 6-10 this year.

Wouldn't surprise me given they have what some consider the most difficult schedule this year. Combine that with the the curse that so many claim Tebow has laid upon Denver and this season looks to be a real bust.

What will be the Jets excuse this year, when they miss the playoffs? They have Tebow now, everything should be kosher...

bionic77

I think the Main reason is we took a long enough break from "serious" discussion to stop being tired of the same old discussions. After the time out, we can now revisit great topics with tradition like "Does Little Hands suck?", "will Peyton survive the season" or "will the Pack D get back their old roids this season?"
Using old roids is like buying a PC with a Pentium 4 in it.

You always gotta be looking for that next level PED if you want to stay competitive.

Wouldn't surprise me given they have what some consider the most difficult schedule this year. Combine that with the the curse that so many claim Tebow has laid upon Denver and this season looks to be a real bust.

What will be the Jets excuse this year, when they miss the playoffs? They have Tebow now, everything should be kosher...

Jets arnt going to play Tebow much though so he wont be able to help them.

Jets arnt going to play Tebow much though so he wont be able to help them.

Sanchez will get benched in the 3rd quarter in week 5 after starting 0-4 whilst being down 3-16. Tebow will score 3 touchdowns in 16 minutes and he will be the Jets starter until his father calls him to come back to Heaven.

I like to go to gaming side and say how much I love games that the GAF collective hates.

They usually try to get me to back up why I like something, as if its impossible for someone to like something they dislike, and I just go "I just like it, easily one of my favorites, you must be missing something".

Drives them into a tizzy.

I hope you guys are right, I really enjoy watching Tebow play, but I think Rex loves Sanchez. They just gave him an extension, I dont think they bench him unless he totally fails.

Top Bottom