• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

squicken

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...oll_Report:_the_value_of_first-round_QBs.html

Value of drafting QBs high

Here's a quick look at how draft positions relate to Super Bowl appearances:

1st Overall – 7 QBs combined for 19 starts
Top 10 – 13 QBs, 25 starts
1st Rd – 20 QBs, 36 starts
2nd Rd – 4 QBs, 5 starts
3rd Rd – 5 QBs, 8 starts
4th Rd – 3 QBs, 4 starts
5th Rd – N/A
6th Rd – 4 QBs, 8 starts
7th Rd or later – 2 QBs, 2 starts
Undrafted – 2 QBs, 4 starts

Looking at those numbers, it's easy to see why such an onus is placed on quarterbacks drafted No. 1 overall. They account for more than one quarter of all Super Bowl starters since the merger (28.3%) and include some of the greatest names in Super Bowl history: Terry Bradshaw (4 starts, 4 wins), Troy Aikman (3/3), John Elway (5/2), Jim Plunkett (2/2), Eli Manning (2/2), Peyton Manning (2/1), Drew Bledsoe (1/0).

First-round quarterbacks, meanwhile, have made over half (53.7%) of all starts in the big game.

It's interesting to see that, outside of the first round, the appearances are spread out rather evenly.

Sixth-round picks are just as likely to make it to the Super Bowl as second-round picks, and third rounders are even a step ahead.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Definitely matches with conventional wisdom.

You take franchise quarterbacks in the first round and typically early. Quarterbacks taken in the 2nd round generally seem to be a complete waste of a pick. Save your flyer QB picks till much later on in the draft.

squicken

Not sure I agree with that considering 5 of those sixth round starts are made by arguably the greatest QB of this generation.

I think that skews the round specific result, but is still valid when looking at what darkside mentioned. After the first round it truly is a crap shoot

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Definitely matches with conventional wisdom.

You take franchise quarterbacks in the first round and typically early. Quarterbacks taken in the 2nd round generally seem to be a complete waste of a pick. Save your flyer QB picks till much later on in the draft.

The problem is that everyone knows those stats and therefore start taking flyer qb picks in the first round.

squicken

http://www.footballperspective.com/franchise-leaders-receiving-stats/

This is a pretty fascinating look at franchise receiving stats. The Jets are the only team who has its career record holder retire before the '78 rule changes. Walter Payton is the Bears all time leading WR. Pretty telling on how poorly those teams have developed QBs and WRs

But for me what stands out is how Fitz has caught Andre Johnson in yards and receptions. And he's afar ahead in TDs. Earlier in their careers I always though Johnson was the better player, but his lack of durability and lack of elite jump ball skills has pretty much ended that debate. I thought he'd be a sure HoF guy even with the glut of WRs waiting to get in, but it's pretty doubtful now. Fitz though seems like a lock

Milchjon

I think I just read today Fitz also drops the fewest balls.

Not sure I agree with that considering 5 of those sixth round starts are made by arguably the greatest QB of this generation.

This, from a Panthers fan, without any snide remarks? You are a swell guy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://www.footballperspective.com/franchise-leaders-receiving-stats/

This is a pretty fascinating look at franchise receiving stats. The Jets are the only team who has its career record holder retire before the '78 rule changes. Walter Payton is the Bears all time leading WR. Pretty telling on how poorly those teams have developed QBs and WRs

But for me what stands out is how Fitz has caught Andre Johnson in yards and receptions. And he's afar ahead in TDs. Earlier in their careers I always though Johnson was the better player, but his lack of durability and lack of elite jump ball skills has pretty much ended that debate. I thought he'd be a sure HoF guy even with the glut of WRs waiting to get in, but it's pretty doubtful now. Fitz though seems like a lock

Herman Moore. Great, great player.

bionic77

It's insane how good of a game Fifa 12 is.
You playing it online?

With randoms or people you know?

I liked FIFA 10 a lot. I still probably had more fun with the WE games on the PS2, but FIFA has passed Konami this gen. It is so satisfying to score a good goal in these games. Wish I had more time and my video game soccer friends lived closer to me.

I think I just read today Fitz also drops the fewest balls.

PFF had an article on it I believe.

I hope Skelton get the starting job in Arizona for Fitz, they seemed to work a lot better together than Fitz and Kobble. Fitz also seems like a really great guy, so I wish him all the best.

You playing it online?

With randoms or people you know?

I liked FIFA 10 a lot. I still probably had more fun with the WE games on the PS2, but FIFA has passed Konami this gen. It is so satisfying to score a good goal in these games. Wish I had more time and my video game soccer friends lived closer to me.

I play it both online with strangers and friends. And sometimes we get together and play some FIFA and drink some beers, always a good time.

Game just never gets old and they constantly evolve, FIFA 12 is one of the, if not the best sports games ever.

bionic77

I play it both online with strangers and friends. And sometimes we get together and play some FIFA and drink some beers, always a good time.

Game just never gets old and they constantly evolve, FIFA 12 is one of the, if not the best sports games ever.
On this one thing we can agree.

These Madden heathens just don't understand.

Strangely enough I got into soccer by getting addicted to Pro Evo/Winning Eleven while in law school. The game is that good!

Talon

What was Here We Go again? The dog?

Also best commercial is c)
herewegobud.jpg

squicken

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/07/06/cosell-talks-the-evolving-chess-match/

Matching up to wide receivers is much more comfortable schematically. Defensive coaches have been doing that for years. Now they have a new set of challenges: tight ends and backs who can stress the defense both to the outside and vertically. What will be the response in the continuing chess match between offense and defense? Traditional linebackers will find their roles — and snaps — significantly reduced. There will not be a place for them against offenses that feature five receivers with multi-dimensional abilities to attack all areas of the field. We will likely see more teams employ the Houston Texans’ model. They played dime (six defensive backs), not nickel. That allowed them to field better athletes with more scheme versatility and greater body flexibility and agility to play in space, i.e., coverage. It was not an accident Houston had one of the best defenses in the NFL last season.

This was lost in all the Ryans furor. They were a much better defense when he wasn't on the field. He's a great tackler but he cannot cover quick RBs or TEs. I know Philly needed someone to help with the run, but there's a reason he came so cheap

I still prefer Pro Evo's gameplay and the lack of licenses doesn't bother me. I don't know enough. W. Rooner and D. Drobga are real enough for me.

Gameplay-wise FIFA clearly surpassed PES in 2009 and never looked back. They added so much depth to the controls especially with the tactical defending last year.

bionic77

Gameplay-wise FIFA clearly surpassed PES in 2009 and never looked back. They added so much depth to the controls especially with the tactical defending last year.
Pro evo feels too arcadey now. Way too damn fast. I don't like the super players in either version. I liked the cheap as fuck pro evo defense on PS2 compared to what they have now.

Pro evo feels too arcadey now. Way too damn fast. I don't like the super players in either version. I liked the cheap as fuck pro evo defense on PS2 compared to what they have now.

Funny thing is the PS3 version is a lot faster than the 360 version. That's why I prefer the 360 version.

And yeah the Messis and Ronaldos are hard to defend, but I've been playing with Chelsea since Fifa '08, so I can handle them.

Talon

At least it's not Papyrus.

The problem with Comic Sans is more how it's often used in inappropriate ways. While using Papyrus is ALWAYS inappropriate.
Hahaha, this is true.

Avatar's subtitles were hilarious. Also, Austin seems to have their streets labeled in Papyrus for some random reason.

Top Bottom