• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

cdyhybrid

Trivia of the day:

What five teams have the most playoff wins in NFL history? That includes pre-merger wins so going back to the 30s. 4 of the teams are easy but one is hard. For bonus points, which team has the most playoff wins?

Bears Packers Steelers Colts...Browns?

Sanjuro

Trivia of the day:

What five teams have the most playoff wins in NFL history? That includes pre-merger wins so going back to the 30s. 4 of the teams are easy but one is hard. For bonus points, which team has the most playoff wins?

Packers, Steelers, Rams, Redskins, Raiders.

Sanjuro

Rams is also correct. That was the tough one I thought. Two teams left, including the team with the most playoff wins. Both of the remaining teams are in the NFC

The other two have to be in the same ballpark I imagine. I think Raiders racked up a healthy share being late to the party.

jakncoke

Banned
i know you get the quarter back, but having to go to the cashier to get some qtrs was just to annoying so i got a box of ramen and cereal and did the rest at giant eagle lol

Talon

Looks like it's exactly the same way as over here.
The founders of Aldi are/were the richest people in Germany. Strange guys.
Yep. Aldi's isn't very popular stateside.

They bought up Trader Joe's, which is a bit of a quirky grocery store, which started as a wine shop in Cali that selects products from other companies they like and relabel them as Trader Joe's brand. Very successful, and they're expanding like mad at the moment.

There was a Bweek article about Trader Joe's success a year ago, and it was interesting because the family didn't want to oversaturate the US with TJ's the way that Starbucks overreached, leading to a loss of consumer trust and inability to maintain QC.

Milchjon

Offensive guard?

Almost.

And whoa, Aldi has been in the US since 76.

bb was prob a tight end

Yep, that's one of the two positions.

Yep. Aldi's isn't very popular stateside.

They bought up Trader Joe's, which is a bit of a quirky grocery store, which started as a wine shop in Cali that selects products from other companies they like and relabel them as Trader Joe's brand. Very successful, and they're expanding like mad at the moment.

There was a Bweek article about Trader Joe's success a year ago, and it was interesting because the family didn't want to oversaturate the US with TJ's the way that Starbucks overreached, leading to a loss of consumer trust and inability to maintain QC.

I knew about Trader Joe's, but I didn't know Aldi itself was active outside of Europe. I always liked what I read about TJ's.

eznark

Banned
I loved Aldis when I was in college. A truck full of food for like $35 and people watching that puts Wal Mart to shame.

Slo

I've been in an Aldi before. If you absolutely want the cheapest and shittiest version of any product, Aldi's going to do you one better.

Just got back from watching The Amazing Spiderman. I liked it well enough (for a comic book movie), but I think I would have liked it more had it been the first Spiderman movie I ever watched and not a reboot of the Raimi movies. I hated having to go through another Spidey origin story, when I saw Raimi's story just a decade ago. I think that's the major problem I have with reboots in general (especially comic book movies). There's only so much creative license the new screenwriters/directors can take when re-imagining the characters' origins while still staying in contact with the original canon of the comics.

Did prefer Garfield's Parker to Maguire though.

Aldi is in the US now?

There's an aldi about twenty minutes from me. I went there once and saw that they made you pay for your bags and the items on the shelves looked like they went to the Walmart and decided to make knock-offs of the Great Value knock-offs. I haven't been back since.

Milchjon

I've been in an Aldi before. If you absolutely want the cheapest and shittiest version of any product, Aldi's going to do you one better.

Weird. Over here, they usually have no name offshoots of known brands. For basics, it's cheap and reliable.

Talon

http://outkickthecoverage.com/outkick-the-coverage-reaches-one-year-old-thanks-to-all-of-you.php

If you're bored, a longing piece on sports journalism I found interesting. I really have no idea how anyone is ever going to make money on mobile ads, which seems to be the way things are going.
Same discussion that's been around for 5 or so years - since I was in J school. It doesn't help that, as a writer, you're fighting an infinite amount of media for a finite amount of time.

Original content needs to be worth something, but nobody's willing to directly pay for it. Paywalls are not the answer (I had a vehement argument about this with an older professor). Direct payment is not an option. Clickthrough advertising was clearly a bubble.

Journalism is stuck between a rock and a hard place, and differentiating through "commentary" is polluting the primary sources that we need. Of course, Gawker will always outdraw The Atlantic or the Financial Times.

Also, the $70,000/year salary for a sportswriter is a fucking joke. There's a reason over half the grads in my class (and this is Medill, for crying out loud) went to grad school or found another line of work rather than scrounging for editorial assistant jobs.

just got back from aldis, giant eagle and family dollar. people fucking suck. why do i ever leave my apt fuck

I visited a friend for a weekend who live sin Columbus and he introduced me to Giant Eagle. They has the most incredible beer selection I have ever seen. The floor manager even walked up to us and told us if we had any requests for specific beers, he could try and get it in. I left that weekend with $70 of beer I can't get in Michigan chilling in my trunk. It was amazing

brentech

I visited a friend for a weekend who live sin Columbus and he introduced me to Giant Eagle. They has the most incredible beer selection I have ever seen. The floor manager even walked up to us and told us if we had any requests for specific beers, he could try and get it in. I left that weekend with $70 of beer I can't get in Michigan chilling in my trunk. It was amazing

Ha, you should go to 'The Andersons' store, also in Columbus, they have a even larger beer selection.

As you say back in Michigan, I know they have some of the stores up in Toledo as well. Wife and I graduated from that school and her parents drive there once a month basically just to go to The Andersons.

squicken

Same discussion that's been around for 5 or so years - since I was in J school. It doesn't help that, as a writer, you're fighting an infinite amount of media for a finite amount of time.

Original content needs to be worth something, but nobody's willing to directly pay for it. Paywalls are not the answer (I had a vehement argument about this with an older professor). Direct payment is not an option. Clickthrough advertising was clearly a bubble.

Journalism is stuck between a rock and a hard place, and differentiating through "commentary" is polluting the primary sources that we need. Of course, Gawker will always outdraw The Atlantic or the Financial Times.

Also, the $70,000/year salary for a sportswriter is a fucking joke. There's a reason over half the grads in my class (and this is Medill, for crying out loud) went to grad school or found another line of work rather than scrounging for editorial assistant jobs.

Yeah his number seemed high but I think he qualified it by saying he hadn't hired anyone and thought going cheap was it own set of problems

I am part of the problem. I have an RSS of PFT for my mainstream football news, and read it for the stories while filtering out Florio's commentary. Usually I don't click the source as he pulls all the important stuff. But the stuff he doesn't cover are smaller, more niche football sites.

I just think for too long we were conditioned that everything was free on the internet. I was always intrigued by Posner's idea of copyrighting hyperlinks. I'd love if the aggregaters had to pay a license fee for all the stories they pull.

btw nothing is worse than The Verge. There's just this small little box at the bottom of the crap they take that says "source". Lame

Ha, you should go to 'The Andersons' store, also in Columbus, they have a even larger beer selection.

As you say back in Michigan, I know they have some of the stores up in Toledo as well. Wife and I graduated from that school and her parents drive there once a month basically just to go to The Andersons.

I will be investigating this before the year is over on a return trip. I appreciate the tip! Gonna be a $200 trip!

Talon

btw nothing is worse than The Verge. There's just this small little box at the bottom of the crap they take that says "source". Lame
At least it's a part of their template.

Marco Arment kept tabs of the "news sources" that rewrote his blog post last week about the corrupt binaries up on the App Store. It was pretty hilarious. The Verge was one of like two news sources that actually sourced him. Everyone else (Gizmodo, PC Magazine) either sourced someone that linked him or said "Sources say."

Lazy, lazy online journalism. It's really upsetting. Probably a bunch of Syracuse grads.

squicken

At least it's a part of their template.

Marco Arment kept tabs of the "news sources" that rewrote his blog post last week about the corrupt binaries up on the App Store. It was pretty hilarious. The Verge was one of like two news sources that actually sourced him. Everyone else (Gizmodo, PC Magazine) either sourced someone that linked him or said "Sources say."

Lazy, lazy online journalism. It's really upsetting. Probably a bunch of Syracuse grads.

This is the best part of Twitter journalism. Watching a local guy on my timeline report something and then a minute later have a national guy have "sources tell me" of the exact same thing. Adam Schefter owes his career to just really quickly refreshing his Twitter app

squicken

Someone mentioned the Bills America's Game earlier. Watching it now. Man, WW, LJ and Co., I'm sorry. Should've won one.

It's hard to argue they were better than Dallas or WAS. The NYG game was the one they should have won. Backup QB vs their underrated D. But Belichick was the D coordinator for NY. Probably had been taping for weeks

jakncoke

Banned
well the gameplan was really good. offense goes down the field fast and scores at will, what better way to stop that..keep them off the field

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's hard to argue they were better than Dallas or WAS. The NYG game was the one they should have won. Backup QB vs their underrated D. But Belichick was the D coordinator for NY. Probably had been taping for weeks

I will dance on Norwood's grave.

Milchjon

I will dance on Norwood's grave.

Isn't that all a bit simplistic? I mean, it didn't have to come down to that kick. And Levy said: ""I didn't know what to say to him. I was searching for words to buck him up, but I knew how he felt. We engineered that drive to get him in field goal range. It was a 47-yard kick off natural grass. Fewer than 50% of those are made."

Feel bad for the guy.

squicken

Isn't that all a bit simplistic? I mean, it didn't have to come down to that kick. And Levy said: ""I didn't know what to say to him. I was searching for words to buck him up, but I knew how he felt. We engineered that drive to get him in field goal range. It was a 47-yard kick off natural grass. Fewer than 50% of those are made."

Feel bad for the guy.

Yeah that kick was way too hard for the shit he gets. There was just that long ass drive where they couldn't get off the field against a backup QB. Left points on the field. But it was the best SB I've ever seen to this day. Just tense the whole way through.

Top Bottom