• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

QT0ql.png

TMZ is all over suspended Saints coach Sean Payton – and caught this act recently where the coach was partying it up with a hot blonde, despite the fact he’s going through a divorce of his long-time wife.

He’s suspended from the NFL … his marriage is crumbling … but former New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton is bumpin’ and grindin’ away his pain in the Bahamas with a hot blonde — and TMZ has the footage.

The disgraced Super Bowl champ was hanging out at the nightclub at the Atlantis Resort last Friday … hittin’ the dance floor HARD.

After spending some time gettin’ funky with himself, Payton posted up behind a hot blonde lady … before the two disappeared into the crowd.

Payton recently filed for divorce from his wife of 20 years, citing “discord or conflict of personalities.”

We called Payton for comment on the dance video — so far, no word back.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/10/sean-payton-divorce-dancing-blonde-rebound/

The dance moves when he's by himself... :jnc

jakncoke

Banned
I concur with this, free reign on any team you want!

And again shut up I don't live in Buffalo, they are not my default team.

when they move to toronto you'll be forced to watch them on local tv. haw! then you'll know what my life was like for all the years i lived in pa

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
when they move to toronto you'll be forced to watch them on local tv. haw! then you'll know what my life was like for all the years i lived in pa

They're already on local TV here. We get the majority of Bills games on regular cable.

I had to order Sunday Ticket so I could watch my Browns lose on a regular basis.

jakncoke

Banned
They're already on local TV here. We get the majority of Bills games on regular cable.

I had to order Sunday Ticket so I could watch my Browns lose on a regular basis.

yeah i had to have sunday ticket for the majority of my life. i lived with my uncle for a year like 30 min south of my hometown and they get steelers games, so salty

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Here's another running back article from last week:

A closer look at running back aging patterns

Now we need a metric to measure running back productivity. Generally, I don’t think people worry about running backs failing to be factors in the passing game as they age; Kevin Faulk set a career high in receiving yards at age 32. I don’t think the focus is on touchdown production, either, and we all remember Jerome Bettis still being a short-yardage force even when he was well past his prime. No, when people discuss running backs hitting a wall and deteriorating, the focus is on declining rushing yards and rushing yards per carry. One metric I’ve used before is called “Rushing Yards Over 2.0 Yards Per Carry” or RYO2.0, for short. As the name implies, a running back gets credit for his yards gained over 2.0 yards per carry, so 300 carries for 1000 yards is worth 400 marginal yards, as is 1,060 yards on 330 carries. Essentially, we’re looking at just rushing yards with a small adjustment depending on the player’s yards per carry average.

I calculated the RYO2.0 for each of the 36 running backs at ages 22 through 34. The red line represents the average RYO2.0 for the group at each age for all 36 backs; the green line represents the average RYO2.0 only for those backs who were active in the league at that age.

02W8u.jpg

As you can see, this group of running backs peaked at age 26, and had a four-year prime from ages 24 to 27. The gap between the red and green lines on the right side of the picture show that several running backs weren’t even active in the league by the time they were 30. Among all running backs (the red line), there was a very steady decline from age 26 to age 31 and then a sharper decline at age 32. Looking at just those players who remained active, they were able to mainstain steady production at age 30 and 31, before falling significantly at age 32 and being essentially done by age 34.

Those are just averages, though. Let’s look at each running back individually. I calculated the average RYO2.0 for each running back from ages 24 to 271 to get a sense of their baseline production. Then I calculated their RYO2.0 at each age thereafter as a percentage of their baseline production.

(More detail on why he put particular players where he did in the below breakdown at the article)

Washed up by the end of their age 27 season – 5 of 36
Natrone Means, Rodney Hampton, Rudi Johnson, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis

Washed up by the end of their age 28 season – 6 of 36 (cumulative, 11 of 36)
Willie Parker, Robert Smith, Jamal Anderson, Julius Jones, Adrian Murrell, Deuce McAllister

Washed up by the end of their age 29 season – 9 of 36 (20 of 36)
Shaun Alexander, Travis Henry, Ahman Green, Duce Staley, Chris Warren, Jamal Lewis, Stephen Davis, Edgerrin James, Brian Westbrook

Washed up by the end of their age 30 season – 1 of 36 (21 of 36)
Eddie George

Washed up by the end of their age 31 season – 8 of 36 (29 of 36)
Ricky Watters, Tiki Barber, James Stewart, Charlie Garner, Marshall Faulk, Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin, Priest Holmes

Washed up by the end of their age 32 season – 3 of 36 (32 of 36)
Corey Dillon, Garrison Hearst, Jerome Bettis

Washed up by the end of their age 33 season – 3 of 36 (35 of 36)
Terry Allen, Antowain Smith, Warrick Dunn

Washed up by the end of their age 34 season – 0 of 36 (35 of 36)

Washed up by the end of their age 35 season – 1 of 36 (36 of 36)

Emmitt Smith

Conclusion
So what can we make of this? There is no one age when all running backs drop off, or even an age where the majority of running backs drop off. That said, by the end of their age 29 season (or, if you prefer, by the time they hit 30), half of the running backs in this study were essentially washed up. Most had gradual declines, or a down season followed by a bounce-back year and then another decline, rather than a sudden collision with a mythical wall. But at age 31 or later, 42% of the running backs had at least one solid season.

I’m not sure if we can easily characterize the group of players that powered through the mythical 30-year-old wall. Tiki Barber and Priest Holmes did not get heavy workloads early in their career, but Corey Dillon and Jerome Bettis were featured starters for essentially their entire careers. Some lesser running backs like Terry Allen and Antowain Smith were able to maintain their production late in their careers, but Emmitt Smith and Curtis Martin had big years in their thirties, too.

With the benefit of hindsight, it’s easy to see that a player fell off at a certain age, but real life doesn’t afford us that luxury. After LaDainian Tomlinson gained just 730 yards on 3.3 yards per carry his final season in San Diego, who saw him rushing for 914 yards and 4.2 yards per carry in New York at the age of 31? Ricky Williams’ career looked over, but he rushed for 1,121 yards on 4.7 yards per carry with the 2009 Dolphins at age 32. Many thought Thomas Jones was about to hit the wall when he rushed for 1,119 yards on only 3.6 yards per carry with the Jets at age 29. That wouldn’t have been an unreasonable projection, but he rushed for 2700 yards over the next seasons with a healthy 4.4 yards per carry average.

We’re always looking for the signs, and often by the time we know a running back is washed up, it’s too late. It is clear that age is an essential component in predicting future running back performance, as players at that position decline as a group pretty consistently after the age of 26. But just because an individual running back reaches a certain age doesn’t mean the grim reaper is around the corner. I’m not comfortable projecting two years down the line for a player who is already 30, but I don’t think it’s all that risky expecting “one more year” out of a player. I’d keep doing that until he proves me wrong, rather than trying to guess the exact year he’ll fall off and risk missing several years of strong production.

Draxal

Need to take Tiki off that list. His last year was amazing, and he could of kept on playing a couple of other years in his prime if he desired too.

Bowser

Check the "The Competiton" section of this Engadget review of the Samsung Series 9 13in: http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/06/samsung-series-9-review-13-inch-mid-2012/

Should have some helpful suggestions for you - The new Asus Zenbook Primes and the HP Envy Spectre XT's should be of interest.

edit: Personally, I have a MBA (late 2010 version, first ever Mac after being a Windows user all my life) and I love it. If you can wait a little bit and save up for the latest MBA, that would be my suggestion.

Top Bottom