• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

GAF has search, I would love to see a post by me saying anything even close to that, but we both know no such post exists. You really shouldnt steal FMT's bit.

Don't run from what you are! Stand by your man!

Stafford isn't elite lol. He has crappy pocket prescence and isn't clutch. Sure, he shows up against garbage like the raiders and browns but what about him playing an elite defense like the niners? Nothing! He gets 2 chances to win in the final 2 mins and can't even get a first down

bluemax

Banned
So I just read this article on "Surprise" and "Disappointment" teams and I thought I'd share it here.

What do you guys think? Who off this list:

Miami Dolphins, 6-10
Buffalo Bills, 6-10
Cleveland Browns, 4-12
Indianapolis Colts, 2-14
Jacksonville Jaguars, 5-11
Washington Redskins, 5-11
Minnesota Vikings, 3-13
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 4-12
Carolina Panthers, 6-10
St. Louis Rams, 2-14

will be a surprise team.

And who off this list:

New England Patriots, 13-3
Pittsburgh Steelers, 12-4
Baltimore Ravens, 12-4
Houston Texans, 10-6
Green Bay Packers, 15-1
Detroit Lions, 10-6
Atlanta Falcons, 10-6
New Orleans Saints, 13-3
San Francisco 49ers, 13-3

will be a disappointment team?

I'd go with Tampa/Carolina and New Orleans/Houston.

squicken

The Packers could go 11-5 and still have a good year. But that's a -4 win differential. To me, the obvious drop off teams are CIN and SF. The two obvious move up teams are STL and IND

Milchjon

Can the college football regulars tell me something about Hightower/Chandler Jones? I'd really love to see some improvements on the defensive side, not just a scrap heap of players who can barely tackle...

I think the Lolphins will be good for at least 9 wins this year.

I'd say the Saints are due for a drop, but I dunno....their defense took a hit but let's face it; they're incidental. It's their O that runs the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2tSGxGnJQ

I . . . I feel so ashamed for not knowing this existed. I hate tribute albums and concerts so I guess I never would have thought to ever listen. Sooooo awesome. Prince is a got damned boss
Thanks for posting this. Love Prince to death and Tom Petty just rode the wave. Awesome.

jbug617

Banned
Can the college football regulars tell me something about Hightower/Chandler? I'd really love to see some improvements on the defensive side, not just a scrap heap of players who can barely tackle...

Chandler Jones is more a prospect. He has all the tools to be a great pass rusher but really does not have the college stats to back it up (he was hurt his last year in college). Mayock had him as the top pass rusher in the draft and overall the 9th best player in the draft.

What I read on Hightower he was one of the leaders of the Alabama defense. He can play multiple positions and just a solid overall player.

squicken

Thanks for posting this. Love Prince to death and Tom Petty just rode the wave. Awesome.

I'm glad at least one person clicked it. Prince was great at the SB and the solo at the end of Purple Rain is just generally awesome. That video really is one of the best solos I've ever seen. I hate to use a dated word, but he absolutely shreds it

Dosia

Do any of you guys participate in online betting? I wanted to do some betting this year but I dont even fully know if it is legal or not. If it is legal what are some good sites?

Whats a surprise team?

I think the Vikings will scrape together 6 wins. Thats not good but they will be doubling their win column over last years train wreck.

squicken

SF can go 10-6 and still win the division. Which I think they will. But that's a 3 win drop off. The flier bet to take is the Colts winning the AFCS.

squicken

I'd love to see the Browns win more than 4 games for once.

You guys really need the Ravens to finally play their age. I think the Bengals slide. I'm just not a Dalton fan. You could win 5-6 games. Right there with the Rams, though STL has a higher ceiling just b/c the division is so much weaker

RBH

I'd love to see the Browns win more than 4 games for once.

image.php

I really think the Rats are due for a slide, but I can't entirely trust myself because I want them to shit the bed.

It seems to be lining up pretty well though; Suggs gone, Lewis turns 82 this year and Reed is broken down and disgruntled. Flacco. They're also starting to develop the O-line trouble the Steelers have been battling with for years. By all accounts they're due for a poor season.

edit: Also, i've heard reports that Lewis is going through the James Farrior workout plan: Slimming down to reduce wear on his body and increase his speed. Farrior managed to buy a season by doing this, but age caught up with him like a motherfucker.

squicken

I really think the Rats are due for a slide, but I can't entirely trust myself because I want them to shit the bed.

It seems to be lining up pretty well though; Suggs gone, Lewis turns 82 this year and Reed is broken down and disgruntled. Flacco. They're also starting to develop the O-line trouble the Steelers have been battling with for years. By all accounts they're due for a poor season.

Yeah but you guys just re-signed Max Starks. And you've got age issues as well. Ben looked really bad last year when he got hurt. The first time he really seemed unable to deal with an injury. If ez's team just had a better QB they could really scary

Whats a surprise team?

I think the Vikings will scrape together 6 wins. Thats not good but they will be doubling their win column over last years train wreck.

Sounds about right, although 7-8 wins wouldn't surprise me. There's a ton of talent there and 9 of their 13 losses last season were within 7 points, not to mention the first 4 games where they blew double-digit leads going into halftime. Keeping in mind the bulk of 2011 had a rookie QB with no pro off-season prep (due to the lockout), an aging swiss-cheese OLine, and the worst defensive secondary in the NFL.

If their main 2011 draft picks (Kalil, Smith, Robinson, Wright, & Childs) work out and they have another good draft in 2013 I think we'll see a young team built deep for the future. So much falls on how well Ponder learns/adapts, though. Vikes really don't need to draft another QBotF 2-3 drafts from now. :/

The Bears will be in the NFC North basement in a couple years. ;)

Seems he'll be a decent QB, but , no.

He has a high upside if he can get in a little better shape and keeps his head on straight. Not counting injuries, if he does that he should turn out pretty good.

He's just not to the point of taking him over top 10 QBs based on merit at this point.
He's completed 1 season out of 3. And 2 of those 3 seasons he's averaged a pick per game or more.....with CJ.

Does not compute.

Well, he was a rookie in one of those seasons playing immediately after an 0-16 season where the Lions likely had the largest deficit of talent, in comparison to the rest of the league, in league history. The 2nd season he played in 3 total games, where he went 6-1 in terms of TDs to INT. So forgive him for not playing up to your standards in 11 total games in his first 2 years.

If anything, he showed how much potential he has in putting up those kinds of stats after only having 11 games of NFL experience before last season. Imagine what he can do this year with an improved offense and another year in the system. I, for one, embrace Matthew "Fat Dragon" Stafford. LONG LIVE THE FAT DRAGON!!!

And I can't wait to see the shit stains from FMT's pants when Detroit fucks up that vaunted 49ers D in week 2. Harbaugh ca shake Schwartz's hand to dust for all I care, but how will he deal with a 45-7 loss at the hands of Fatfford? Hint:
Not well. Probably gonna take his pants off for motivation!

Yeah but you guys just re-signed Max Starks. And you've got age issues as well. Ben looked really bad last year when he got hurt. The first time he really seemed unable to deal with an injury. If ez's team just had a better QB they could really scary

Max Starks is a depth signing. And he's lightyears ahead of Jonathan Scott, who got abused worse than any lineman i've ever seen against the Colts of all teams in week 2 last year.

Also, the age issues have been wildly overblown. The 3 oldest guys on the team were all cut this offseason (Farrior, Smith, and Ward). If anything the Steelers will be inexperienced on opening day. Shy of Keisel, the D-Line has been completely rebuilt.

Also, interesting Factoid - The average age of the Steelers O-line right now is 24.

Steelers are now the second youngest offense in the league.

squicken

Max Starks is a depth signing. And he's lightyears ahead of Jonathan Scott, who got abused worse than any lineman i've ever seen against the Colts of all teams in week 2 last year.

Also, the age issues have been wildly overblown. The 3 oldest guys on the team were all cut this offseason (Farrior, Smith, and Ward). If anything the Steelers will be inexperienced on opening day. Shy of Keisel, the D-Line has been completely rebuilt.

Also, interesting Factoid - The average age of the Steelers O-line right now is 24.

Damn. Didn't know that. But who is your new stud 3-4 OLB to replace a declining Harrison? Or is he going to Germany for HGH blood enriching like everyone else?

But otherwise I always love the Steelers FO. They just do such a good job building a roster. To pick a nit I guess your offense could use a RB who plays better in space

The only weakness of the Steelers FO is the refusal to address the OL.

Big Ben isn't invincible!

They drafted the best guard in the draft and a 2nd round tackles this year, and then picked up Pouncey a few years ago. They really have done alot for the O-line recently

Talon

They drafted the best guard in the draft and a 2nd round tackles this year, and then picked up Pouncey a few years ago. They really have done alot for the O-line recently
This after 6 years of Ben getting pummeled from every angle because of clowns like Legursky having to play late in the season.

The only weakness of the Steelers FO is the refusal to address the OL.

Big Ben isn't invincible!

They've actually addressed the O-Line with a vengeance the past three years - First with drafting Pouncey, then Gilbert last year, resigning Colon and shifting him to Guard, and drafting Decastro and Adams this year.

Adams is a wild card, but everybody else is solid at least. Also, they did the best thing they could possibly have done to protect Ben - Firing Bruce Arians.

Also, interesting Factoid - The average age of the Steelers O-;ine right now is 24.

Yeah, at 30, Ben, Cotchery, and Starks are now the oldest guys on offense. And two of them possibly won't be starters. And I will cheer greatly if Scott gets perma-benched or, better yet, waxed entirely before the season starts.

They may have a couple age issues on D where there will probably be 5 or 6 starters who are over 30. The only concerns I have there are Harrison (his back) and Foote (his mediocrity.) I bet Foote loses his starting job at some point.

Yeah, at 30, Ben, Cotchery, and Starks are now the oldest guys on offense. And two of them possibly won't be starters. And I will cheer greatly if Scott gets perma-benched or, better yet, waxed entirely before the season starts.

They may have a couple age issues on D where there will probably be 5 or 6 starters who are over 30. The only concerns I have there are Harrison (his back) and Foote (his mediocrity.) I bet Foote loses his starting job at some point.

Problem with Foote is that he'll be calling the D. I love Timmons, but the guy is stuck in 4th gear. He has the talent to be the best ILB in the league but nothing between the ears. He should have stepped up and learned the signals years ago. The Steelers allergy to even mention teaching them to him confirms him being a meathead.

Hate to say it, but I think Harrison's best days are behind him.

Bowser

The Packers could go 11-5 and still have a good year. But that's a -4 win differential. To me, the obvious drop off teams are CIN and SF. The two obvious move up teams are STL and IND

SF can go 10-6 and still win the division. Which I think they will. But that's a 3 win drop off. The flier bet to take is the Colts winning the AFCS.

You obviously didn't read the article:

First, some definitions:

I'll define a successful NFL season as one in which a team wins ten games or more. In the ten-year, 32-team era (2002 thru 2011), 37 teams have ended the regular season with a record of 10-6. 32 of them made the playoffs and the five that missed were in the hunt to the last game. Only one team with more than ten wins failed to get into the post season party.

An unsuccessful season is one in which a team loses ten games or more. Any fan that has suffered through a ten-loss season will agree.

A surprise team goes from a ten-or-more loss season to ten-or-more wins in the next season. A disappointment team is just the opposite, going from winning ten or more, to winning six or fewer the next season.

Problem with Foote is that he'll be calling the D. I love Timmons, but the guy is stuck in 4th gear. He has the talent to be the best ILB in the league but nothing between the ears. He should have stepped up and learned the signals years ago. The Steelers allergy to even mention teaching them to him confirms him being a meathead.

I'm hoping a young guy, like Ivy or Sylvester, develops some chops there. I'd like to include Spence but he'll be a long, long way from seeing anything other than special teams.

Damn. Didn't know that. But who is your new stud 3-4 OLB to replace a declining Harrison? Or is he going to Germany for HGH blood enriching like everyone else?

But otherwise I always love the Steelers FO. They just do such a good job building a roster. To pick a nit I guess your offense could use a RB who plays better in space

Yeah, Harrison I think is cooked. You just don't fuck around with your back. Steelers have drafted his replacement (Jason Worilds). Dude has potential, but needs time to develop. You can tell by watching him that he's trying desperately to remember his assignments.

As for the RB in space, Steelers drafted Rainey in the 5th. Early comparisons are to Dexter McCluster, and the dude is FAST - he's arguably faster than Wallace. Dude weighs less than a wet paper bag though so we'll see if he can stay on the field.

I'm hoping a young guy, like Ivy or Sylvester, develops some chops there. I'd like to include Spence but he'll be a long, long way from seeing anything other than special teams.

Actually I read that from initial reports Spence is a bookworm and he's been a quick study, ala Pouncey three years ago. He needs to gain like 20 pounds though.

I like Sylvester, but it seems at times they forget he's even on the team. Not a good sign.

Bowser

So I just read this article on "Surprise" and "Disappointment" teams and I thought I'd share it here.

What do you guys think? Who off this list:

will be a surprise team.

And who off this list:

will be a disappointment team?

I'd go with Tampa/Carolina and New Orleans/Houston.

I'm gonna say Carolina (yeah, I'm biased, but I also believe it!) and Buffalo for surprise teams and New Orleans and Detroit for disappointment teams.

squicken

The Michael Vick autobiography will the first book I will read in 15 years.

Wait he says he sees "dynasty" potential for the Eagles? oh boy

edit: I love Cam's potential but Brees is too good for them to be sub .500. ATL would really have to fall off and the Bucs stay the Bucs to go to 10 wins. It's just usually the teams in the bad divisions that make those leaps

Actually I read that from initial reports Spence is a bookworm and he's been a quick study, ala Pouncey three years ago. He needs to gain like 20 pounds though.

I like Sylvester, but it seems at times they forget he's even on the team. Not a good sign.

Yeah, Spence's size is what worries me. They obviously saw something in him to take him in the 3rd, so maybe he'll shock. In any event, they need good special teamers anyway.

JABEE

Wait he says he sees "dynasty" potential for the Eagles? oh boy

edit: I love Cam's potential but Brees is too good for them to be sub .500. ATL would really have to fall off and the Bucs stay the Bucs to go to 10 wins. It's just usually the teams in the bad divisions that make those leaps
I think it was just him saying the Eagles are a talented team that needs to work hard to make the playoffs and win a Super Bowl.

Top Bottom