• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Colorado shooter has booby traps? The fuck?

Edit: wow he really did booby trap his apartment holy crap.

tRpIS.png

If you worry about getting murdered by a lunatic in a movie theater, then the terrorists have won my friend.

I worry about bed bugs when I go to a theater and I am ok admitting that they indeed have won the war, now just go away!

I may not put it as blunt as our friend ez, but he's right.

My friend was telling me he doesnt want to go to the opening night showing any more and I was not hearing it. Cant live your life scared.

This.

As terrible a tragedy as this is, it still is an isolated incident carried out by a wackjob, and the chances of it being emulated any time soon (especially with the heightened security measures you're bound to see at movie theaters now) are incredibly remote.

Logic says that you can go to any other movie theater in the world right now, sit down and watch the 2.5 hour movie and be fine. But of course, when we're dealing with an incident as gruesome and visceral as this one, logic gets thrown out the window and replaced by emotional overreactions.

squicken said:
Lions DT Corey Williams facing DWI charges

Who hasn't been arrested for DWI/DUI this offseason?

How does someone even get weapons like those..seriously an AK47? After some wackjob went nuts in Tasmania in 1996 and killed 35 people it's basically impossible for a regular citizen pack any sort of firepower for fear of that happening again here.

How does someone even get weapons like those..seriously an AK47? After some wackjob went nuts in Tasmania in 1996 and killed 35 people it's basically impossible for a regular citizen pack any sort of firepower for fear of that happening again here.

Ive seen assault rifles for sale in pawn shops here.So they can be bought.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

I have a friend with an ak. So the answer to the question is "easily". Try going to a gun show. Make sure to wear a bunch of camo to fit in.

Talon

You can buy assault weapons. Even the AWB was only for weapons built after '94, and gun companies found ways around the rules.

LJ11

My dad was watching some wild life program last weekend, he's an avid hunter, and they were using a M4/AR15 to kill a wolf.

jakncoke

Banned

I think semi automatic guns are still legal, i think fully automatic ones that are banned after the LA incident

cajunator

Banned
That's what my wife said.
Told her thats just some crazy asshole. Shir could happen anywhere

Basically. You cantl ive life at all if you let the possibility of something happening prevent you from doing what you want to do.
There is also a possibility of being killed in an auto accident on the way to the cinema. In fact its thousands of times more likely. If its your time to die, its your time. thats not to say don't be CAREFUL. Looking out for your surroundings is always a great idea.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I bought an AR15 easy peasy. You have to special order a fully auto kit though. I've never bothered. Not much fun in spraying.

AK's are pieces of shit and are everywhere.

bionic77

Basically. You cantl ive life at all if you let the possibility of something happening prevent you from doing what you want to do.
There is also a possibility of being killed in an auto accident on the way to the cinema. In fact its thousands of times more likely. If its your time to die, its your time. thats not to say don't be CAREFUL. Looking out for your surroundings is always a great idea.
Media overcovers this stuff and blows it out of proportion and it scares idiots who don't understand statistics.

cajunator

Banned
You can buy assault weapons. Even the AWB was only for weapons built after '94, and gun companies found ways around the rules.

This is true. I have an Ar15 myself.
It uses the same ammo as my CZ527 rifle.
I don't go to the range much anymore though so I haven't fired either gun in a long time.
but yeah as long as its not fully auto you can legally own it. You can fire bursts of three rounds with most semi-autos.

eznark

Banned
This is true. I have an Ar15 myself.
It uses the same ammo as my CZ527 rifle.
I don't go to the range much anymore though so I haven't fired either gun in a long time.
but yeah as long as its not fully auto you can legally own it. You can fire bursts of three rounds with most semi-autos.

You can legally own a fully automatic rifle, you simply can't purchase it in the US.

Different mentality I guess, if I saw my neighbor carrying this kind of firepower I'd freak out. You Americans and your 2nd Amendment!! The shooter was studying a PhD..man I hope that's not true

My local newspaper classifieds section had a guy selling 2 AK47s just a few weeks ago.

Talon

Different mentality I guess, if I saw my neighbor carrying this kind of firepower I'd freak out. You Americans and your 2nd Amendment!! The shooter was studying a PhD..man I hope that's not true
I mean, I wouldn't be thrilled about seeing a dude carrying around an AK in public.

cajunator

Banned
You can legally own a fully automatic rifle, you simply can't purchase it in the US.

Well, thats a technicality. Im talking about buying guns here.
but yeah you can get special licenses for foereign bought fully auto firearms. Its just really expensive to get. And its not worth it. Ive fired full autos before and the muzzle rises so much its practically useless to hit targets unless you fire in burst anyway.

cajunator

Banned
I mean, I wouldn't be thrilled about seeing a dude carrying around an AK in public.

I suppose I just dont think about these things much, since just about everyone here owns guns. You see them in vehicles on racks and being carried all the time. Plus I go to gun shows and you're surrounded by thousands of guns and ammo, so you may as well get used to it.

eznark

Banned
From witness reports it doesn't sound like he had done so, though. People were saying methodical shots, not sprays.

Well, thats a technicality. Im talking about buying guns here.
but yeah you can get special licenses for foereign bought fully auto firearms. Its just really expensive to get. And its not worth it. Ive fired full autos before and the muzzle rises so much its practically useless to hit targets unless you fire in burst anyway.

My brother in laws AR is kitted out to basically look like the fucking ZF-1. The fully auto thing is fun to do once, maybe twice. It is kind of fun to turn on his laser and try to keep it as still as possible when wide open.

Talon

I suppose I just dont think about these things much, since just about everyone here owns guns. You see them in vehicles on racks and being carried all the time. Plus I go to gun shows and you're surrounded by thousands of guns and ammo, so you may as well get used to it.
Gun rack is fine. Owning a gun at home is fine.

I would just be weirded out by someone walking around carrying an assault weapon in public out of context.

cajunator

Banned
My brother in law AR kitted out to basically look like the fucking ZF-1. The fully auto thing is fun to do once, maybe twice. It is kind of fun to turn on his laser and try to keep it as still as possible when wide open.

Thats hard as hell to do. I laugh every time I watch an automatic in a movie firing in a straight line and not moving. If you keep firing the thing, you start shooting into the ceiling!

eznark

Banned
Yeah, he got some crazy ass custom made magazine just so that you could depress longer. Instead of like 2.5 seconds it's like double. Pretty sure the rifling on his barrel is completely ruined.

you'd think customs would confiscate those, is it just basically hit or miss and hope customs bypasses your goods?

No, for an AR you import a kit basically to turn your semi auto into a fully auto.

Slo

Holy shit at Drudge Report's front page.

"'Joker' kills 13 at 'Batman'"? Really?

On Ron & Fez right now they are quoting the guy as claiming to be the Joker, and trying to recreate some hospital massacre scene. I don't watch Batman so I don't know the scene.

Top Bottom