• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
and ichiro going to the yankees shows why baseball is a fucking joke. all these mid season bullshit trades for money reasons.... there are like 3 teams who care about winning at all costs in baseball and the rest of the teams in the league are just farm clubs for the big guys.

until baseball has a real salary cap it will continue to be a joke of a sport that time has passed by
Ichiro hasn't been having that great of a year and is 38.

And of the last 11 WS winners, only 2 teams saw multiple wins (04/07 Red Sox, 06/11 Cardinals) so 9 different teams have won a title, and there were 14 total teams who made it to the WS during that time.

In comparison, during the same timeframe the NFL saw 3 teams win 7 of the last 11 Super Bowls, so 7 different teams have won a title and there were also a total of 14 teams who made the title game.

So it's closer than you may realize.

Nice. Now we just gotta get Weeden in. I dont want him missing any time. I feel like we had a good offseason, lets not fuck it up now.
Yeah we should actually be fun to watch on Offense for once. Added alot of good offensive pieces in the first four rounds. Qb, Rb, 2Wr, Rt (counting Gordan)

RBH

The NFL recently responded to mounting political pressure regarding the outdated blackout rule by punting the hot potato to the teams.

On the surface, there was cause for celebration. The league now allows teams to reduce their minimum percentage of non-premium tickets from 100 to 85 in order to allow games to be televised in the local market.

The fine print tells a slightly different story.

Each team must use the same percentage for every game, and the percentage must be selected for the full year by August 9. And if the team does better than expected, the league’s share of each ticket goes from 34 cents on the dollar to 50.

As a result, various teams who would otherwise be tempted to consider the rule have said, “No thanks,” including the Chargers, Bills, Browns, Colts, and Jaguars. Only the Buccaneers have to date embraced the new rule.

Now, some of the same politicians who pushed the league to relax the blackout rule are now seeking a relaxation of the relaxation.

Recently, Congressman Brian Higgins (D-N.Y.) and Ohio Senators Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) sent a letter to Commissioner Roger Goodell suggesting that each team receive two waivers per year, to account for games in which ticket sales exceed the selected minimum.

The league has yet to make any changes to the changed blackout rule, but Representative Higgins believe that change eventually will come.

“You look at the changing economic model, the blackout just doesn’t make sense,” Higgins said, via WIVB. “I’ll tell you something, you mark my words, in five years there won’t be a blackout rule because the economic model is changing, and continues to change.”

Amid increasing pressure from fans and Congress, the NFL made the first major changes to its television blackout policy in nearly 40 years two months ago. But in a letter released today, three federal legislators told NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell the new changes are not good enough.

Congressman Brian Higgins of western New York and Senators Sherrod Brown of Ohio and Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut wrote a letter asking Goodell to make it easier for teams to lower the percentage of tickets that teams have to sell in order to avoid blackouts.

Under the league’s old policy, teams had to sell out 72 hours before kickoff in order to have their games broadcast on local television. The Wall Street Journal first reported on July 2 that the NFL had changed its policy, allowing teams to choose whether they want to reduce the number of tickets they have to sell to avoid blackouts to as low as 85 percent.

Today’s letter also asked Goodell to allow teams that kept their attendance threshold at 100 percent to use two waivers per season to prevent blackouts of games that did not sell out.

Any team that decides to lower its threshold under the new policy will have to pay a price. If a team lowers its threshold, 50 percent of all ticket revenue sold above that threshold will be shared with the rest of the league, instead of the standard 34 percent.

“That the League recognizes the blackout rule is outdated and in need of rethinking is a step in the right direction,” the legislators wrote. “However we have serious concerns that the second part of this new policy, which requires teams to forgo a significant portion of revenue from tickets sold over the 85 percent threshold, dissuades teams from trying this new policy.”

That is certainly true for the Buffalo Bills. When the Bills announced that they would not lower their threshold 10 days ago, one of the reasons they cited was that they would lose significant revenue from sellout games.

Last year, the Bills sold out in the warmer fall months but faced steep declines in attendance when the weather got colder and their chances of making the playoffs got slimmer. Assuming attendance stayed even with last year, Forbes estimates the Bills would have had to share an additional $348,387 in ticket revenue this season if they had lowered their threshold to 85 percent.[

The question for teams is whether easing their blackout policies and allowing more of their games to be shown on television is worth the price. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers decided that it was and changed their blackout policy on July 13. But several teams—including the Bills, Indianapolis Colts, San Diego Chargers and Jacksonville Jaguars—have announced that they will still demand sellouts in order to avoid blackouts.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalex...odell-new-nfl-blackout-rule-isnt-good-enough/

Blackouts_table.png

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
First NFL training camp started today with the Eagles reporting to camp:

http://media.lehighvalleylive.com/express-times/photo/2012/07/11334118-large.jpg[img]

[img]http://media.lehighvalleylive.com/express-times/photo/2012/07/11334121-large.jpg[img]

[url]http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/photos/howard-mudd-on-vick-kelce-bell-watkins/gallery[/url][/QUOTE]
Is Vick carrying in a comforter? In a comforter suitcase?

ChanHuk

Banned

MJD is clearly the best amongst that list. No offensive line, no quarterback, no WRs, the offense is just him.

Shady McCoy has amazing talent around him, Ray Rice has GOAT Flacco handing off the ball, Matt Forte sucks when it comes to the short yardage/goalline, and Arian Foster comes from the ZBS that made Denver backs amazing until they went to another team.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but if Darren McFadden weren't made of glass, he'd be on that list. Blocks, runs, catches, and passes the ball very well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOOwsmgQg1M

MJD is clearly the best amongst that list. No offensive line, no quarterback, no WRs, the offense is just him.

Shady McCoy has amazing talent around him, Ray Rice has GOAT Flacco handing off the ball, Matt Forte sucks when it comes to the short yardage/goalline, and Arian Foster comes from the ZBS that made Denver backs amazing until they went to another team.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but if Darren McFadden weren't made of glass, he'd be on that list. Blocks, runs, catches, and passes the ball very well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOOwsmgQg1M

I agree with Barnwell. It's Ray Rice. Great production, both out of the backfield and receiving, consistent, and Rice is 5 years younger than MJD.

Flacco should thank God he has Rice - take him away and Flacco's already mediocre numbers dip by at least half.

yaaaa its about time, Vick and his dynasty here we come week 1

LOL, even if the Browns are greatly improved this year they are catching the Eagles at a terrible time. No way is a rookie QB going to be ready for the wide 9 week 1. This is going to be a huge blowout, but it wont be indicative of how the Browns season will go.

LOL, even if the Browns are greatly improved this year they are catching the Eagles at a terrible time. No way is a rookie QB going to be ready for the wide 9 week 1. This is going to be a huge blowout, but it wont be indicative of how the Browns season will go.
We'll see.
You can't corrupt me!
believeland-w-helmet_design.png

Sokantish

Well on the sidebar it said McFadden was an honorable mention, and
"Since you're wondering, Darren McFadden paced all backs with 50 carries or more by averaging 7.4 yards per handoff in this situation last year. Nobody else was within a yard. Backs two and three were both Bills: Fred Jackson (6.4) and C.J. Spiller (5.8). "

Whatever all that means. I hate the Raiders(I SWEAR), but I agree Darren McFadden would be the best if he could just stay healthy. Too bad that's kind of a big deal though

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Calling it now, Browns keep it close for the majority of the game then either someone goes beast mode out of nowhere or the Browns make one major mistake that costs them the game.

I know the script far too well.

But woo Mr. Weeden has been signed. Let's do this!

Top Bottom