• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

Vyer

i knew it was a good idea to just wait for the inevitable Vita price drop. shouldn't be much longer now

watching this fake Sony wrap up on the official stream is painful

Last of Us saved things for me. The Sony show was fairly mediocre but at least it focused on games. God of War 4 was beautiful and all but fuck if I'm not just totally bored with the series. I've played that game many many times and I've really no need to play it again.

The lack of anything Vita related was really disappointing (outside of PSX games coming of course).

squicken

I think with E3 they have to show action. At least that's my hope with Last of Us. I'd like to think the player would go around and get all the ammo off the dead guys and hopefully be able to sneak past in a non-scripted manner

snesfreak

Banned
Ubisoft has a third person shooter hidden as an interesting action game set in Chicago.
Yeah that looks awesome.
Since it's a PS360/PC game it *could* get a Wii U version.
But it's been in development for 2 years so, I don't know.
I'll get the PC version if it comes to that.

Talon

Yeah that looks awesome.
Since it's a PS360/PC game it *could* get a Wii U version.
But it's been in development for 2 years so, I don't know.
I'll get the PC version if it comes to that.
I think that game has high bust potential. It seems interesting now, plus they've at least done a good job of capturing the exterior of Chicago (although apparently the Chicago Theater is now a shitty club). That intersection was a pretty accurate representation of Clark and Lake - other than the random gas station.

But those mechanics looked janky as hell. It's Ubisoft Montreal, so they have a pretty good track record. Just interested to see if it's a mission-based open world game or a multiplayer action game. I would really love if it was a persistent multiplayer setting.

Snoozefest of an E3.

MSFT doesn't need to do anything at this point in the cycle. They won. They are going to keep selling consoles in this gen. Thy may very well be $100 by this time next year and anyone who doesn't have one will get one (except for the hardcore haters). But let's face it: they don't even need to show up to E3. Another Halo? Check. Another Forza? Check. Another Gears? Check. Another Fable (and oh by the way let's check Kinect off in there too)? Check. More entertainment options? Check.

It was a victory lap.

Did Sony show anything of interest other than The Last of Us? They may very well catch up to Wii at some point in this gen just because the WiiU is gonna consume the last of the Wii purchasers.

The big grenade tossed into the midst of this thing is the WiiU. Will it succeed? It will be interesting to see if Ninty has hit the sweet spot again. They are obviously going to have at least a 1 year head start on MSFT and Sony. The question is whether there are enough people who are ready to buy into the next gen... without at least knowing what MSFT or Sony will offer.

squicken

Snoozefest of an E3.

MSFT doesn't need to do anything at this point in the cycle. They won. They are going to keep selling consoles in this gen. Thy may very well be $100 by this time next year and anyone who doesn't have one will get one (except for the hardcore haters). But let's face it: they don't even need to show up to E3. Another Halo? Check. Another Forza? Check. Another Gears? Check. Another Fable (and oh by the way let's check Kinect off in there too)? Check. More entertainment options? Check.

It was a victory lap.

Did Sony show anything of interest other than The Last of Us? They may very well catch up to Wii at some point in this gen just because the WiiU is gonna consume the last of the Wii purchasers.

The big grenade tossed into the midst of this thing is the WiiU. Will it succeed? It will be interesting to see if Ninty has hit the sweet spot again. They are obviously going to have at least a 1 year head start on MSFT and Sony. The question is whether there are enough people who are ready to buy into the next gen... without at least knowing what MSFT or Sony will offer.

If the WiiU can't run high end 3rd party PS3 games then how is it next gen? I mean I hope they surprise me but all the lead up seems to indicate it's nothing special on the tech end.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Wii U is going to have a 2 to 3 year head start on the next 360 and PS3. That's absurd.

What kind of bizzaro world are we living in where a Nintendo system is going to have bar none the best graphics for a number of years?

snesfreak

Banned
If the WiiU can't run high end 3rd party PS3 games then how is it next gen? I mean I hope they surprise me but all the lead up seems to indicate it's nothing special on the tech end.
Who besides clueless trolls thinks the Wii U can't run high end PS3 games?
And how do you come to that conclusion?

Tamanon

Banned
Wii U is going to have a 2 to 3 year head start on the next 360 and PS3. That's absurd.

What kind of bizzaro world are we living in where a Nintendo system is going to have bar none the best graphics for a number of years?

We're not even sure at this point if it'll have the best graphics of the current generation.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
We're not even sure at this point if it'll have the best graphics of the current generation.

I can't imagine it wouldn't, I mean, the graphics output of a PS3 and a 360 is 6-7 years old at this point. You can buy dirty cheap graphics cards for a PC at retail that would be superior and barely affect the BOM of a system.

The only thing I can imagine holding back the graphics is the whole streaming to the tablet thing.

squicken

It depends on wither or not Nintendo puts out good hardware.

Which they won't.

I expect the next Roku to be more powerful than the Wii U.

Blaming it on developers smh. Even the shittiest of 360 launch games looked better than the best XBOX 1 games

squicken

I thought we knew for sure that it was at the very least at parity with the PS3 and most likely superior.

I'm actually not trolling. I thought there were conflicting reports on its power. Weren't there also a few multi-platform games that got cancelled?

wienke said:
I can't imagine it wouldn't, I mean, the graphics output of a PS3 and a 360 is 6-7 years old at this point. You can buy dirty cheap graphics cards for a PC at retail that would be superior and barely affect the BOM of a system.
You do realize this is Nintendo that we're talking about? They will do what they can to make money on their hardware. I genuinely hope people do not expect Wii U to provide anything more than an incremental increase over current generation console hardware. I think comments that the system won't be as powerful as a 360/PS3 are about as silly as it gets but I also think people living in this cloud where Nintendo releases an actual "next generation" console that will push Samaritan demo levels of power need to wake up to reality.

Look at the name of the title of the Wii U thread in the forum. "Nintendo games in HD". They can get away with an incremental increase in horsepower and try to sell to the same market in which they delivered the Wii. The Nintendo faithful will lap it up and play Zelda with current gen +2 visuals and be happy. They even have another controller gimmick to go along with it and they've covered their third party bases with the Wii U Pro Controller.

It will not doubt have initial success but I question the long term strategy. I have since its initial announcement. I'm open to Nintendo wowing me tomorrow but I have my doubts....

I'm actually not trolling. I thought there were conflicting reports on its power. Weren't there also a few multi-platform games that got cancelled?
The only specific reports on power have come from anonymous developers, who may or may not have received money hats from either side and thus should be ignored.

Nintendo will be as lazy as humanly possible with their hardware specs (as usual), and still exceed the technical capabilities of the PS3/360 by 2-3x. Just compare components (CPUs, GPUs) to where they were 4 years ago, much less 6 years ago when the PS3 came out.

I've told myself not to get excited about another Star Wars game, but this Stars Wars 1313 game looks incredible visually. It's running on PC, but it's like the Rebel Assault successor we've always hoped for.

Random ass site: http://gamingeverything.com/22382/first-star-wars-1313-footage/
Graphics look fantastic, gameplay looks routine. Pass! (well, more accurately, "will need to see more")

Watch Dogs looked like it might be really good. Most impressive thing shown so far. A pity that we'll have to settle for the crippled console versions because Ubisoft's PC DRM will be so god-awful.

squicken

Just compare components (CPUs, GPUs) to where they were 4 years ago, much less 6 years ago when the PS3 came out.

Look what was available when the Wii launched, and all they did was gussy up the GC hardware. They get no benefit of the doubt from me on the spec front.

squicken said:
They get no benefit of the doubt from me on the spec front.
Well to be fair I don't think they need much of any benefit in saying the Wii U is 2 to 3 times as powerful. That's not exactly difficult to accomplish with relatively cheap hardware. It also won't amount to much as developers continue to focus on 360/PS3 titles moving forward and porting those games to the Wii U (while maybe taking advantage of the tablet).

snesfreak said:
That's the only time they did that, Wii U is new custom designed hardware.
That's well and good but Nintendo is out of the technological arms race. They themselves admitted as much with the Wii. They seem content to deliver profitable hardware and carve out a niche in which to sell their games. There's nothing wrong with that either. I just don't think the gimmick will be as appealing the second time around and the long term prospects for the system once true next generation development begins worries me.

Look what was available when the Wii launched, and all they did was gussy up the GC hardware. They get no benefit of the doubt from me on the spec front.
The GC was a reasonably powered machine, which made it look even worse than it would've otherwise. But what I'm really saying is 2012 version of the Wii (e.g. cheap as poop) will still be clearly superior to the PS3/360 -- in the same way the Wii is superior to the original Xbox.

Well to be fair I don't think they need much of any benefit in saying the Wii U is 2 to 3 times as powerful. That's not exactly difficult to accomplish with relatively cheap hardware. It also won't amount to much as developers continue to focus on 360/PS3 titles moving forward and porting those games to the Wii U (while maybe taking advantage of the tablet).

That's well and good but Nintendo is out of the technological arms race. They themselves admitted as much with the Wii. They seem content to deliver profitable hardware and carve out a niche in which to sell their games. There's nothing wrong with that either. I just don't think the gimmick will be as appealing the second time around and the long term prospects for the system once true next generation development begins worries me.
I think Nintendo's bet is probably that the technological arms race is over, and the PC won.

The GC was a reasonably powered machine, which made it look even worse than it would've otherwise. But what I'm really saying is 2012 version of the Wii (e.g. cheap as poop) will still be clearly superior to the PS3/360 -- in the same way the Wii is superior to the original Xbox.

I think Nintendo's bet is probably that the technological arms race is over, and the PC won.

wii was superior to the original xbox? hmmm...

squicken

But there are numerous XBOX 1 games that look better than a whole lot of Wii games. I hope you guys are right. I want to give Nintendo my money for making a quality product. Something I haven't done since the N64

I can't wait till Nintendo hires back Cammie Dunaway and gets back to their real target demographic: QVC shoppers and the people you see on peopleofwalmart.com.
2013!

It would be amazing if they did that this year, though. Sad, but amazing. GAF would die.

But there are numerous XBOX 1 games that look better than a whole lot of Wii games. I hope you guys are right. I want to give Nintendo my money for making a quality product. Something I haven't done since the N64
Sure, but there are terribad games for every platform.

Talon

To be honest, the differences between the Wii and the PS3/360 were made doubly evident due to HDTVs becoming so common.

Once we hit 1080p, the gap isn't going to get nearly as wide.

Unless of course, 4K makes its way into homes in 5 years.

Top Bottom