• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 4 - The Bears Still Suck

Palmer will be plenty good this season, likely better than scrub ass Kap! We do need a young QB to take us forward but I'd rather have none or a swing for the fences low risk in Logan Thomas than paying ridiculous money to trash. Don't worry, we'll ultimately be more competitive than the Niners for the foreseeable future, your window is about to slam shut! Goodbye Crabcakes, goodbye VD, so long soon Gore!

Uh.... Oh no. Please don't get rid of gore. Pls

VD will be 33 by the time his contract is up. Crabtree was gone regardless (PP will be happy!). We fine brah, don't get your hopes up!

I'm so happy teams are shooting themselves in the kneecaps to keep these QBs and later realizing they can't keep everybody that made those QBs get so far in the first place.

49ers contracts that expire after this season:
WR Jon Baldwin
TE Garrett Celek
DB Chris Cook
LB Blake Costanzo
DB Perrish Cox
WR Michael Crabtree
DB Chris Culliver
DL Demarcus Dobbs
DL Glenn Dorsey
QB Blaine Gabbert
RB Frank Gore
RB Kendall Hunter
G Mike Iupati
QB Josh Johnson
WR Brandon Lloyd
WR Kassim Osgood
WR David Reed
LB Dan Skuta
G Adam Snyder
DB CJ Spillman
RB Will Tukuafu
DB Raymond Ventrone
LB Michael Wilhoite
DB Eric Wright

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Eh, I'm not too worried about Wilson's contract. Schneider has been leaving a lot of cap room in all of his work this offseason in anticipation of his upcoming extension and as Bennett reminded us all, this is Costco.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm so happy teams are shooting themselves in the kneecaps to keep these QBs and later realizing they can't keep everybody that made those QBs get so far in the first place.

WR Jon Baldwin
TE Garrett Celek
DB Chris Cook
LB Blake Costanzo
DB Perrish Cox
WR Michael Crabtree
DB Chris Culliver
DL Demarcus Dobbs
DL Glenn Dorsey
QB Blaine Gabbert
RB Frank Gore
RB Kendall Hunter
G Mike Iupati
QB Josh Johnson
WR Brandon Lloyd
WR Kassim Osgood
WR David Reed
LB Dan Skuta
G Adam Snyder
DB CJ Spillman
RB Will Tukuafu
DB Raymond Ventrone
LB Michael Wilhoite
DB Eric Wright

Wow that's going to hurt.

Drakeon

Most of those guys are not going to demand high contracts outside of Crabtree dude. Most are also middle of the road players. There's no Justin Smith or Staley on there. Gore should be ready to retire after this season, as sad to say that might be. I'd like to keep Hunter, but we got options if he wants to much.

Konka

Banned

WR Jon Baldwin
TE Garrett Celek
DB Chris Cook
LB Blake Costanzo
DB Perrish Cox
WR Michael Crabtree
DB Chris Culliver
DL Demarcus Dobbs
DL Glenn Dorsey
QB Blaine Gabbert
RB Frank Gore
RB Kendall Hunter
G Mike Iupati
QB Josh Johnson
WR Brandon Lloyd
WR Kassim Osgood
WR David Reed
LB Dan Skuta
G Adam Snyder
DB CJ Spillman
RB Will Tukuafu
DB Raymond Ventrone
LB Michael Wilhoite
DB Eric Wright

Theyre fucked.

15.7 Million per year if he doesn't reach any of his incentives. 61 Million guaranteed. 18 Million if he hits everything. That ain't too shabby I suppose

094f900f061edae26596463a99748b61.jpg

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Oh and I forgot Stafford, he's just as bad as Cutler as far as overpaid QBs who have proved jack shit go.

Bullshit. Matthew Stafford took over the worst team in NFL history at the age of 21, has made the Detroit Lions relevant, smashed tons of statistical records before the age of 25 and has been quarterbacking one of the best offenses these last 3 seasons with barely any help outside of Megatron (who gets double teamed every play anyway).

Give Stafford a decent #2 receiver and he'll put up 2011 like numbers. A bad Matthew Stafford season last year had him at a total of 31 TDs and 4,700 Passing Yards with his receivers leading the league in drops by far.

It's like your boy Steve Young said: "Matthew Stafford is on the cusp of greatness". Anyone who knows QB play, and has seen Stafford play throughout his young career knows that Stafford is a hell of a pocket passing QB.

MechDX

Eh, I'm not too worried about Wilson's contract. Schneider has been leaving a lot of cap room in all of his work this offseason in anticipation of his upcoming extension and as Bennett reminded us all, this is Costco.

Keep telling yourself that. Kap money plus 30% since Wilson won a Superbowl. No such things as hometown discounts BTW.

Bullshit. Matthew Stafford took over the worst team in NFL history at the age of 21, has made the Detroit Lions relevant, smashed tons of statistical records before the age of 25 and has been quarterbacking one of the best offenses these last 3 seasons with barely any help outside of Megatron (who gets double teamed every play anyway).

Give Stafford a decent #2 receiver and he'll put up 2011 like numbers. A bad Matthew Stafford season last year had him at a total of 31 TDs and 4,700 Passing Yards with his receivers leading the league in drops by far.

It's like your boy Steve Young said: "Matthew Stafford is on the cusp of greatness". Anyone who knows QB play, and has seen Stafford play throughout his young career knows that Stafford is a hell of a pocket passing QB.

What's his playoff record?

A decent #2? YOU HAVE CALVIN FUCKING JOHNSON AND ARE MAKING EXCUSES!!!!!!

HawkeyeIC

WR Jon Baldwin
TE Garrett Celek
DB Chris Cook
LB Blake Costanzo
DB Perrish Cox
WR Michael Crabtree
DB Chris Culliver
DL Demarcus Dobbs
DL Glenn Dorsey
QB Blaine Gabbert
RB Frank Gore
RB Kendall Hunter
G Mike Iupati
QB Josh Johnson
WR Brandon Lloyd
WR Kassim Osgood
WR David Reed
LB Dan Skuta
G Adam Snyder
DB CJ Spillman
RB Will Tukuafu
DB Raymond Ventrone
LB Michael Wilhoite
DB Eric Wright

They are plenty happy letting most of those guys go. Culliver will be the top priority to resign out of that list. The trick will be if Aldon turns things around how they are going to sign him.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
A decent #2? YOU HAVE CALVIN FUCKING JOHNSON AND ARE MAKING EXCUSES!!!!!!

So what if thats our only option? Like I said, he gets double/triple teamed because he has had no one to take pressure off of him since Titus Young and Nate Burleson were relevant in 2011. That just so happened to be the year Stafford dropped 5,000 yards, 41 TDs and 16 INTs at the age of 23. Kaep can never, and will never, produce a season like that because he isn't as good of a Quarterback as Stafford is. Sure he had that decent read option year, and can run for a first down here and there but he is not a QB you build your team around.

Whether its Drew Brees in New Orleans or Peyton in Denver, those offensive powerhouse teams have numerous weapons at wide receiver. Stafford has made our offense a Top 5 these past two years with a horrible WR core (outside of Megatron of course).

So this is what Stockholm Syndrome looks like.

How does it feel knowing that your team not only wasted the prime and career of the greatest running back ever, but that they're also doing (and in a few years will have done) the same to the greatest wide receiver ever?

bionic77

Cutler has never won a road playoff game, never won an NFC title game, never finished an NFC title game and never won a playoff game against a team with a winning record. Case closed breh!
I feel like almost all of those wins came against the Packers. Let me know when Kap and company beat another team in the playoffs!

Fact. Tom Brady ranked 2nd in the league with 53 dropped passes, behind only Matthew Stafford with 58.

By far is a bit much, friend Kas.

Dunkers92

WR Jon Baldwin
TE Garrett Celek
DB Chris Cook
LB Blake Costanzo
DB Perrish Cox
WR Michael Crabtree
DB Chris Culliver
DL Demarcus Dobbs
DL Glenn Dorsey
QB Blaine Gabbert
RB Frank Gore
RB Kendall Hunter
G Mike Iupati
QB Josh Johnson
WR Brandon Lloyd
WR Kassim Osgood
WR David Reed
LB Dan Skuta
G Adam Snyder
DB CJ Spillman
RB Will Tukuafu
DB Raymond Ventrone
LB Michael Wilhoite
DB Eric Wright

Holy shit

Syrinx

God DAMN at that Kap deal. Man, if you're really gonna pay a guy that money...you better be 1000% sure he's the guy going forward. Kap has been very good for the Niners, especially in the playoffs, but now they're locked into him.

I don't hate the Niners so I hope he does well, but that contract is gonna put a lot of responsibility on his shoulders.

cdyhybrid

Ok. Lets just wait and see shall we?

Remember his agent was the one who wanted to restructure after his rookie season.

An agent trying to get his client (and thus himself) more money? This guy is clearly different from the other agents.

You really think they're going to pay Russell more than what future HoFers like Brady/Brees/Manning etc. are making?

WR Jon Baldwin
TE Garrett Celek
DB Chris Cook
LB Blake Costanzo
DB Perrish Cox
WR Michael Crabtree
DB Chris Culliver
DL Demarcus Dobbs
DL Glenn Dorsey
QB Blaine Gabbert
RB Frank Gore
RB Kendall Hunter
G Mike Iupati
QB Josh Johnson
WR Brandon Lloyd
WR Kassim Osgood
WR David Reed
LB Dan Skuta
G Adam Snyder
DB CJ Spillman
RB Will Tukuafu
DB Raymond Ventrone
LB Michael Wilhoite
DB Eric Wright

Lol a good deal of those guys we just picked up. Only iupati, Crabtree and gay hater matter here. The rest range from depth players to old to training camp fodder. Our depth will obviously be hurt going forward

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I actually don't expect Wilson to come cheaply, I just expect Schneider to be well prepared for it. After all, we already have a lot of other key players signed for the next several years.

cdyhybrid

I actually don't expect Wilson to come cheaply, I just expect Schneider to be well prepared for it. After all, we already have a lot of other key players signed for the next several years.

I think he'll be paid very handsomely, and on a level similar to the top QBs in the league, but I don't think it'll be a ridiculous contract that goes above and beyond everyone else in the league.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What's his playoff record?

I'll bash Stafford all day, but the defense has been horrid for the last decade. Stafford doesn't play defense (although he'd make a good NT on a goalline formation).

bionic77

I guess beating cam and Matt Ryan in the playoffs isn't anything to be proud of either :/

Oh well!
I am sure that 100 million is going to motivate him to get over the hump.

Isn't that how it works? Getting rich and having an abundance of bitches handed to you despite not reaching your goals?

For comparison, Baltimore's free agents after this season:

DB Omar Brown
LB Josh Bynes
RB Shaun Chapas
DL Terrence Cody
C Morgan Cox
TE Owen Daniels
RB Justin Forsett
LB Adrian Hamilton
DB Anthony Levine
LB Pernell McPhee
DB Jeromy Miles
G Will Rackley
G Jah Reid
C AQ Shipley
WR Torrey Smith
DB Darian Stewart
TE Phillip Supernaw
QB Tyrod Taylor
WR Deonte Thompson
DB Brynden Trawick
K Justin Tucker
WR LaQuan Williams

What I'm saying is get the fuck ready for another Flacco ring and more amazingness from Justin Tucker. Don't worry, the train's still boarding passengers.

Top Bottom