• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

Fox318

I have cajun picturing a moe alligator when talking to Gata.

0wppRBU.jpg

They stink, it's kind of shocking to me that they won at all really. Coming into the tournament the clear worst teams were Arrow, Liquid and Nar'VI. They were really the only shit tier teams. Mouz is a tiny step up but not much.

Unless Liquid pulls a rabbit out of their ass they are going to get fucked hard today, really tough matchups. So, it's all going to end up shaking out pretty much as expected at least for the first part of the tournament. Liquid will certainly drop, leaving only 9 teams left vying for 8 spots.

Right now it seems like it's going to be between NewBee, Alliance and Cloud 9 for the final spot. Titan is playing really well and they've gone through a lot of the top tier already.

The tournament format is a cluster fuck. There was a 4 team play in for the last spot which was 3 best of 3's. This is the second stage, a round robin with 16 teams. The top two spots advance to the Grand Finals. the other six play in a convoluted bracket tournament with a bunch of best of 3's.
Thanks. That sounds really confusing, only the two best teams in the group stage get a chance to win it all? Last year was more of a standard knockout format wasn't it?

Thanks. That sounds really confusing, only the two best teams in the group stage get a chance to win it all? Last year was more of a standard knockout format wasn't it?

I just looked at the tournament format for shits and giggles, and the top 2 in this table go directly to a semifinal in the winners bracket, while 3-10 go through a loser's bracket that eventually turns into a double elimination tournament until the final

I just looked at the tournament format for shits and giggles, and the top 2 in this table go directly to a semifinal in the winners bracket, while 3-10 go through a loser's bracket that eventually turns into a double elimination tournament until the final
Ah, okay. That sounds a lot more reasonable.

Neymar, Messi and Suarez. There a killer line up.

Until one of em isn't satisfied with the amount of playing time/position/touches in a match/etc...You can have so many big names, but if they can't play together or there are too many at the same 'natural' position, it can quickly go south. Just like it did with Zlatan over there.

eznark

Banned

no no, there is another separate tournament for the next 8 teams to decide who gets to move on to face the top two teams in the finals at the stadium. I think the top 6 from that tournament join the overall top 2 and the top 8 compete in Key Arena.

Or something, I don't know, it's overly complex.

Is 129 million fee normal?

Yes and no. Suarez was the top scorer of all the Leagues last season, so the transfer fee for him will be really high. Last year Real Madrid bought Gareth Bale for 170 million dollars from Tottenham. But it's not like your average player gets sold for a number like that.

Is it a loss leader strategy or do they pull a yankees and charge like 15 bucks a beer?

edit; ahhhh 2 questions about soccer in a span of 5 minutes, i think ima going throw up now.

The money they get from sponsors, TV rights and merchandising is fucking insane. Game tickets are less expensive than the NFL on average though.

Neymar, Messi and Suarez. There a killer line up.

Question if is they can manage to play together. Real used to buy all the greatest stars in the world but never got them to work in a team. Messi wants all the balls, so does Suarez and so does Neymar. Get those egos to work together.

Plus, their defense is aging and proper shit.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
no no, there is another separate tournament for the next 8 teams to decide who gets to move on to face the top two teams in the finals at the stadium. I think the top 6 from that tournament join the overall top 2 and the top 8 compete in Key Arena.

Or something, I don't know, it's overly complex.

Hey at least it isn't a Round Robin right?

Man, Barcelona got Suarez? How do they pay all those guys.

98% of the total revenue in the Liga BBVA (La Liga) is split between Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Pair that with no cap and yeah.

UEFA (Europe's governing body for soccer) is trying to stem the trend of the big teams in Europe just using their collective financial muscle to body out smaller clubs by introducing various sanctions for clubs that overspend. (Called Financial Fair Play)

Those are relatively toothless provisions IMO. Fees are drops in the bucket to the Arab princes and Russian oil oligarchs that are funding clubs like Manchester City and PSG.

Fox318

98% of the total revenue in the Liga BBVA (La Liga) is split between Barcelona and Real Madrid.

UEFA (Europe's governing body for soccer) is trying to stem the trend of the big teams in Europe just using their collective financial muscle to body out smaller clubs by introducing various sanctions for clubs that overspend. (Called Financial Fair Play)

Those are relatively toothless provisions IMO. Fees are drops in the bucket to the Arab princes and Russian oil oligarchs that are funding clubs like Manchester City and PSG.

This is the type of shit that wouldn't fly over here.

Imagine if the Red Wings and Leafs were the only hockey teams with a unlimited payroll.

It's so stupid. I don't see how anyone can get into the big soccer leagues because of this silly situation.

Anyway, I guess Liverpool had a good run! Are they gonna try to bring in any big names to replace Suarez?

eznark

Banned
Hey at least it isn't a Round Robin right?

It is a round robin, right now. Which I already bitched about on Monday!

I'd prefer a 16 team bracket featuring best of threes until the final four where it is best of fives. But I kind of get what they are trying to do in make it a season. At least it is a true round robin and not bastardized "groups" like in the World Cup.

It's so stupid. I don't see how anyone can get into the big soccer leagues because of this silly situation.

Anyway, I guess Liverpool had a good run! Are they gonna try to bring in any big names to replace Suarez?

Rumors say that they were in for Alexis Sanchez, but he's gone to Arsenal. (holy shit, Wenger actually bought someone good, squicks!) They are still 80 million pounds richer though and the transfer period will really kick off after the WC, so they still have time. They're a bunch of scouse cunts though, so I wish them nothing but misery and heartbreak.

Aside: The summer transfer period in European football makes NBA free agency look calm and orderly. This is the super silly season for Footy-GAF.

Fox318

Rumors say that they were in for Alexis Sanchez, but he's gone to Arsenal. (holy shit, Wenger actually bought someone good, squicks!) They are still 80 million pounds richer though and the transfer period will really kick off after the WC, so they still have time. They're a bunch of scouse cunts though, so I wish them nothing but misery and heartbreak.

Aside: The summer transfer period in European football makes NBA free agency look calm and orderly. This is the super silly season for Footy-GAF.

There are less quality NBA players then there are soccer players.

8 teams have won the title in 24 years.

Scouse?

bruh

MechDX

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/10/mike-meltser-on-the-andre-johnson-standoff/

Ian Rapoport tried to clear up the issues surrounding Johnson and the Texans with this piece on NFL.com Thursday. The dilemma appears to center around the $1M that the receiver forfeited for not showing up to offseason workouts. Andre wants the opportunity to earn it back, while the Texans are holding firm at rejecting his request.

What’s more realistic: this entire standoff revolving around a million dollar roster bonus, or Andre (and his camp) attempting to acquire more financial security, specifically in terms of his 2015 money?

During his appearance on MaD Radio, Rapoport indicated the Texans could appease Andre by guaranteeing his 2015 base salary. This, to me, is the crux of the issue. There is a world of difference between giving Johnson a $1M workout bonus, and giving him a $20.5M commitment over the next two years.

If Andre gets a $1M bonus that he didn’t technically “earn,” what players in the locker room are going to be up in arms? I’d guess very, very few. If Andre gets a contract re-structure guaranteeing him both 2014 and 2015, Rick Smith would receive a phone call the very next day from Ben Dogra, JJ Watt’s agent. I’m sure a call from Kareem Jackson’s agent wouldn’t be far away.

In 2010, the Texans took the extremely rare step of re-structuring Johnson’s contract, despite having multiple years left. The explanation was simple: he’s the greatest player in the franchise history, and he is a unique case. It’s a very fair argument for a possible Hall of Famer, in his prime, working on an under-market contract.

Right now, Smith would have a far more difficult time justifying a contract extension/money guarantee. If he tried to argue, “Well, he’s Andre Johnson,” Dogra’s response would probably be something along the lines of, “That’s great. I represent JJ Watt. You know, the 2-time first team All-Pro and 2012 NFL Defensive Player of the Year.”

In addition, guaranteeing future base salaries is a very dangerous step in the NFL. Just ask Mike Tannenbaum, who did that with Mark Sanchez (guaranteeing salaries in 2012 and 2013, preventing the Jets from releasing the former USC QB). Tannenbaum was fired after the 2012 season.

Yep not about money at all......

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
There are less quality NBA players then there are soccer players.

8 teams have won the title in 24 years.

4 teams have won the EPL in the last 20 years. Its not much different in most of the other leagues - the rich dominate.

That aint gonna change barring some kind of miracle. Liverpool choked their one chance they'll have this century last season.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Wait a minute...

In 2010, the Texans took the extremely rare step of re-structuring Johnson’s contract, despite having multiple years left. The explanation was simple: he’s the greatest player in the franchise history, and he is a unique case. It’s a very fair argument for a possible Hall of Famer, in his prime, working on an under-market contract.

I didn't know this. He's a huge douche then.

MechDX

Wait a minute...

I didn't know this. He's a huge douche then.

I stated this twice yesterday. Everyone nationally is making the Texans the bad guy but fans here in Houston know better.

You should see how many fans are stating they can hear/see Ed Reed and Uncle Melton in these "leaks". BTW, Uncle Melton was the one who negotiated the original contract the Texans restructured.

This also the reason I took major exception to Fox calling the Texans classless. Bob McNair has a long history of taking care of players who are committed to the franchise. This is why I say there is almost zero chance Watt goes anywhere.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I stated this twice yesterday. Everyone nationally is making the Texans the bad guy but fans here in Houston know better.

You should see how many fans are stating they can hear/see Ed Reed and Uncle Melton in these "leaks". BTW, Uncle Melton was the one who negotiated the original contract the Texans restructured.

This also the reason I took major exception to Fox calling the Texans classless. Bob McNair has a long history of taking care of players who are committed to the franchise. This is why I say there is almost zero chance Watt goes anywhere.

You guys should have traded him when you had the chance!

10000000000 days until snes is unbanned.

No thanks to you.

Top Bottom