• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

Patriots7

AlexMorganGetty.jpg

122012-SOCCER-THE-STALLION-SS-PI_20121220232701510_660_320.JPG

alex-morgan.jpg

Alex-Morgan-Soccer.jpg

tumblr_m7zduv5zEE1qbfq9oo1_1280.jpg
I don't like pictures of my future wife being posted.

I made Steak and Rice Pilaf today. Followed it up with some corn on the cob.

Really proud of myself.

Flop.gif

Worse faking than soccer, smh.

Meanwhile in cricket:

blog_watson-ball_hdr1.gif

GoldenHighlevelIrrawaddydolphin.gif

RespectfulCreativeFennecfox.gif

BsbpAb1IEAAYfa2.jpg

All without players running out of the dugout pretending that they want to fight their opponents while simultaneously looking around for a teammate to hold them back lest they actually get hit and lose their chewing tobacco.

Fox318

The only conclusion I can come to is that the guys defending baseball are commie scumbags that despise the US of A.

Baseball helped unite a nation. It helped promote equality in race,
aGOapydl.jpg

gender,
GotDgAol.jpg

vyfG8M6l.jpg

and religion
slMMcPEl.jpg
. It has helped heal the wounds of war and unite us
5SUI8All.jpg

pjIitdCl.jpg
. It has showed us men who were able to challenge the status quo and change the minds and hearts of their fellow man.
RIIPuWRl.jpg

It can be played by anyone of any social class. It required only a ball a stick and 4 bases. Be you poor or rich matters not to baseball but only that you that you stand together with your team and that you dedicate yourself to a game.
R8kwAMil.jpg

It is as much an art as it is a feat of athleticism. No matter how you were born
Jim-Abbott.jpg-2652.jpg
or what has befallen you
kVwXkpil.jpg
baseball will always be there with its highest of highs
LdqqCbkl.jpg

and the lowest of lows.
to1NSP3l.jpg

Joined the ps4 brotherhood this afternoon thanks to Cartwheel. Aside from remastered 2013 games what is coming out for this thing later this year?

Edit: Bravo, Fox. eagletear.jpg

Dragon

Banned
Joined the ps4 brotherhood this afternoon thanks to Cartwheel. Aside from remastered 2013 games what is coming out for this thing later this year?

A little game called Destiny and all the other multiplatform games. That and Driveclub is really it until 2015. It does get a ton of indie games as well.

jakncoke

Banned

Why did you buy if you dont know what is out and what is coming out in the next 9 months?

Pretty sure that game was played in a hurricane and it probably was still watched by more people from beginning to end than any baseball game in the last 50 years.

They also laid sod on top of old sod because hs games + a pitt game pushed their schedule or something. It was a terrible decision really.

Dragon

Banned
Pretty sure that game was played in a hurricane and it probably was still watched by more people from beginning to end than any baseball game in the last 50 years.

If that's the only way you're going to compare how good a sport is, its popularity, then you and all the other soccer haters might as well give up.

bionic77

Why did you buy if you dont know what is out and what is coming out in the next 9 months?

They also laid sod on top of old sod because hs games + a pitt game pushed their schedule or something. It was a terrible decision really.
Yeah that's the game where a punt just stuck in the mud.

Konka

Banned

ward2007.jpg

That was the shittiest football game I ever watched. What a waste of time for all parities involved.

Difference is in cricket you can target a guy's body or head if you want and it's perfectly admissible and is a legitimate tactic. In baseball it either happens accidentally or because the pitcher gets his panties in a bunch.

Posting one guy being hit in the face doesn't change that, nor does it change the fact that baseball is boring and is kept alive by two things:

A) The fact that alcohol is needed to tolerate it has been twisted back to front and is mistaken as a pro for the sport

B) The kind of romantic idealism that Fox posted perpetuated by old, white guys in the media who refuse to get with the times.

Honourable mention to:

C) Stats geeks who create new metrics to measure player efficiency because the sport is so fucking dull that excel spreadsheets and algebra is more exciting.

bionic77

If that's the only way you're going to compare how good a sport is, its popularity, then you and all the other soccer haters might as well give up.
Baseball is the worst dude. What is the most exciting thing in a baseball game? When a roided out monster hits a ball over a wall. How does that compare to a fast break in basketball, a TD pass, INT or buttfumble in football? Plus it is the slowest game I have ever seen. Players are allowed to spit tobacco and touch every part of their body 3 times between bats.

Just a horrible game. Can't think of anything redeeming about the actual game. It does seem to have the best sports movies but the actual product is shit.

ShaneB

Baseball gets too much hate here. Playoff baseball is awesome when every pitch matters. Of course regular season baseball is boring, who cares about game 53 of a 162 game season.

eznark

Banned
Baseball gets too much hate here. Playoff baseball is awesome when every pitch matters. Of course regular season baseball is boring, who cares about game 53 of a 162 game season.

Me. But unlike soccer Nazis I don't give a fuck if you don't.

rando14

Difference is in cricket you can target a guy's body or head if you want and it's perfectly admissible and is a legitimate tactic. In baseball it either happens accidentally or because the pitcher gets his panties in a bunch.

Posting one guy being hit in the face doesn't change that, nor does it change the fact that baseball is boring and is kept alive by two things:

A) The fact that alcohol is needed to tolerate it has been twisted back to front and is mistaken as a pro for the sport

B) The kind of romantic idealism that Fox posted perpetuated by old, white guys in the media who refuse to get with the times.

Honourable mention to:

C) Stats geeks who create new metrics to measure player efficiency because the sport is so fucking dull that excel spreadsheets and algebra is more exciting.

That's me!! Love advanced statistics

jakncoke

Banned

Honourable mention to:

You're wrong.

BI80z.gif

That's just a result of the stakes being higher, not because the sport itself is enjoyable. It's like a penalty shootout in the World Cup, it isn't intrinsically interesting by itself but the drama makes it nerve wracking.

Playoff drama doesn't stop baseball being boring by default.

Dragon

Banned
Baseball is the worst dude. What is the most exciting thing in a baseball game? When a roided out monster hits a ball over a wall. How does that compare to a fast break in basketball, a TD pass, INT or buttfumble in football? Plus it is the slowest game I have ever seen. Players are allowed to spit tobacco and touch every part of their body 3 times between bats.

Just a horrible game. Can't think of anything redeeming about the actual game. It does seem to have the best sports movies but the actual product is shit.

Going to a game is infinitely better than watching it on TV. Which is something you cannot say about any of the other major American sports. This isn't a defense of whether it's better than the other sports, we're all going to have opinions. It's just to say that people who don't go to baseball games regularly, I happen to live in a city that does not have a MLB team but did just build a minor league stadium downtown, do not understand the draw of the game.

Football has just as much wasted time as baseball, there's just less 'non-exciting' plays in football. Baseball has a problem with the time it takes, and with the way instant replay is getting introduced, it's only going to get worse. However, the most exciting parts of the game in most people's opinions do not have the same problems as the other sports. Teh end of any basketball game, with the amount of timeouts and commercials, is the fucking worst. I don't watch the NBA for various reasons, but the main one is the end of the game.

The sport that's among the least popular but has done the best job in transitioning to the internet age is hockey. There are only a handful of stoppages that require a commercial during a period. I'm not sure of the exact number but it's pretty small. It's gotten so bad in football that a channel like the Red Zone channel exists not only for fantasy people but for people who can't stand the incredible number of commercials nowadays.

Baseball needs the umpires to actually force the players to adhere to the rules that already exist about speeding up the game. However, I can't think of a more appropriate sport than baseball to show what the USA really is about. It's probably the most diverse sport in the country.

That's me!! Love advanced statistics

His point is weird anyway, because all sports are adopting this model.

Rorschach

By any definition of athlete (all of which I've seen contain the words physical activities), he's about as much of an athlete as I am.

You're a Raiders fan though, I mean I'm not surprised you don't recognize it, your team hasn't had a winning season since 2002 after all.

You're a professional athlete? :eek: What sport?

Football has just as much wasted time as baseball, there's just less 'non-exciting' plays in football. Baseball has a problem with the time it takes, and with the way instant replay is getting introduced, it's only going to get worse. However, the most exciting parts of the game in most people's opinions do not have the same problems as the other sports. Teh end of any basketball game, with the amount of timeouts and commercials, is the fucking worst. I don't watch the NBA for various reasons, but the main one is the end of the game.

I'll agree with you on that one, I'd rather watch a World Series game than the NBA Finals.

As long as the Cardinals are playing.

His point is weird anyway, because all sports are adopting this model.

Your face is weird.

//Gata

ShaneB

That's just a result of the stakes being higher, not because the sport itself is enjoyable. It's like a penalty shootout in the World Cup, it isn't intrinsically interesting by itself but the drama makes it nerve wracking.

Playoff drama doesn't stop baseball being boring by default.

What kind of wacky logic are you trying to spin here? If you like the watching a sport when it matters, that's what counts. I've always said baseball's problem is the season is too damn long, and the games can be too long. If a baseball season was 16 games long then my god it would matter!

It's like someone someone saying well I don't like Football, but the Super Bowl sure is awesome because it matters! edit: I'm tired and I don't even know if I'm making any sense. *shrug*

Agreed, would be a cool story to see the Browns/Cavs give Cleveland some hope and excitement.

Yeah, the first one was fantastic. Most Wanted isn't as good, but still a fun watch. Also... WHAT?!?! at your second comment.

lol yeah I know, I loved sesame street but that's a little different. I definitely enjoy them now though,

What kind of wacky logic are you trying to spin here? If you like the watching a sport when it matters, that's what counts. I've always said baseball's problem is the season is too damn long, and the games can be too long. If a baseball season was 16 games long then my god it would matter!

It's like someone someone saying well I don't like Football, but the Super Bowl sure is awesome because it matters!

I can watch a meaningless NFL game or a meaningless soccer game because the sports are good to watch in and of themselves, hell Algeria-South Korea might have been the best game of the World Cup despite the fact that neither of them had a hope in hell of progressing far in the tournament. You can watch two mid table Premier League teams playing at the end of the season with absolutely nothing to play for and it can still be great.

If the problem is it's boring when the games don't matter, then the sport is boring.

ShaneB

lol yeah I know, I loved sesame street but that's a little different. I definitely enjoy them now though,

There is a Sesame street joke in Most Wanted that made me chuckle for sure.

I can watch a meaningless NFL game or a meaningless soccer game because the sports are good to watch in and of themselves, hell Algeria-South Korea might have been the best game of the World Cup despite the fact that neither of them had a hope in hell of progressing far in the tournament. You can watch two mid table Premier League teams playing at the end of the season with absolutely nothing to play for and it can still be great.

If the problem is it's boring when the games don't matter, then the sport is boring.

I await your analysis on all 65 preseason games in that case. I like baseball, but I like baseball more when it means something and not 162 game over the summer. I can't keep track of all of that.

And agree to disagree overall I suppose.

Dragon

Banned

This is all subjective though. Your argument, agreeing with many many others, is that baseball is boring because things don't happen. I have a hard time rectifying the inconsistency when you mention how much you like soccer. If you're implying that there are parts of soccer that largely go unnoticed to casual fans, etc, I'd certainly argue a similar thing happens in baseball.

I think part of it was I grew up watching baseball with my dad. It was a thing we did together (he also coached me in soccer and fuck if I wasn't worse off because of that). I look back fondly at that time and some of my best memories as a kid were going to baseball games or playing baseball. That isn't going to go away, no matter how much the Red Sox suck!

Top Bottom