• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

MechDX

EZ is annoying Pats fans with baseball talk.

EZ please explain to me how the Brewers have increased their productivity. Do a detailed break down through numbers even if it takes a dozen or so posts to fully explain it all.

JA Happ retires 12 batters in a row.

Of course he does.

iS2KwQ6FwoZVI.gif

Draxal

They've had Prince play a bit off this past year. I thought coming out he was regarded as a good man-cover guy, but struggled partly in zone. He's gotten a lot better at it.

Also Terrell Thomas and Corey Webster were always better man guys and we know how that went with Bill Sheridan and later Perry. They were good, for the most part, but with how good the rush was for many years playing off got a bit frustrating to see.

Ayup, Stevie Brown was a perfect fit for Fewell's system, but Webster was a horrible one.

Bread

Banned

EZ please explain to me how the Brewers have increased their productivity. Do a detailed break down through numbers even if it takes a dozen or so posts to fully explain it all.
mech has gone rogue, take care of him gata

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Better than soccer talk.

Honest to God, tennis is far more exciting than soccer.

eznark

Banned

A lot of it really starts at first base, which when you look at the numbers might sound crazy. Mark Reynolds has been about replacement level (though his defense has been much better than expected, especially for a blind man ) and Lyle Overbay has been atrocious. However, when you realize that last year the Brewers had a smorgasboard of smegma playing firstbase (worst offensive production from the position in the recorded history of the game) you can see how being "just" replacement level is a huge win for this club. It helps that Reynolds provides a lot of pop so gets worked around a bit opening up opportunities for Khris Davis and Jean Segura behind him.

Betancourt, getting a lot of time at first (for some fucking retarded reason) was -1.8 WAR in 2013. Ale Gonzalez...yes that Alex Gonzalez...played 40ish games at first and in that short period of time was able to accumulate an impressive -1.1 WAR. Lastly Fat Juan Francisco (who went yard today to tie the game for the Blue Jays) put up a sort of amazing -1.3 WAR in 89 games. Why is that impressive? Because he was actually a league average hitter, but his -17 dWAR made him a fat fucking albatross piece of shit at first base.

So in 2013 (two AAA guys got sparing time at first to accumulate a -0.5 WAR) the Brewers first basemen contributed - 4.7 wins above replacement. In other words, they were FIVE WINS WORSE than the league average...at one position.

That's fucking insane. SO basically just by getting a platoon that plays replacement level, they have added almost 5 wins.

Yuni2.jpg

Tomorrow we'll keep going around the horn.

It's only bread tho.

MechDX

A lot of it really starts at first base, which when you look at the numbers might sound crazy. Mark Reynolds has been about replacement level (though his defense has been much better than expected, especially for a blind man ) and Lyle Overbay has been atrocious. However, when you realize that last year the Brewers had a smorgasboard of smegma playing firstbase (worst offensive production from the position in the recorded history of the game) you can see how being "just" replacement level is a huge win for this club. It helps that Reynolds provides a lot of pop so gets worked around a bit opening up opportunities for Khris Davis and Jean Segura behind him.

Betancourt, getting a lot of time at first (for some fucking retarded reason) was -1.8 WAR in 2013. Ale Gonzalez...yes that Alex Gonzalez...played 40ish games at first and in that short period of time was able to accumulate an impressive -1.1 WAR. Lastly Fat Juan Francisco (who went yard today to tie the game for the Blue Jays) put up a sort of amazing -1.3 WAR in 89 games. Why is that impressive? Because he was actually a league average hitter, but his -17 dWAR made him a fat fucking albatross piece of shit at first base.

So in 2013 (two AAA guys got sparing time at first to accumulate a -0.5 WAR) the Brewers first basemen contributed - 4.7 wins above replacement. In other words, they were FIVE WINS WORSE than the league average...at one position.

That's fucking insane. SO basically just by getting a platoon that plays replacement level, they have added almost 5 wins.

Yuni2.jpg

KermitNod.gif

Interesting and insightful

It's only bread tho.

Only who? That name doesn't mean anything to me anymore.

Oh crap, I probably should have written that down somewhere. I guess this is something a GM should know...

Found it!
Looks like it's official!

I'm thinking about hiring Fantomex as HC but we'll see how it goes.

Edit: I have free time at work right now lol

Edit 2;

In fact here is our lineup

GM - The_Darkest_Red
President of Football Operations - Wrayfield
HC - Fantomex
Whatever job he wants - YankeeHater

Farooq

Banned
More details on the McClain trade.

• If McClain is on the 53-man roster for more than five games OR on the 46-man roster for more than three games in 2014, AND the Cowboys have a WORSE record than Baltimore in 2014, the two teams will swap seventh-round picks in the 2016 draft.
  • If McClain plays more than 50% of the Cowboys defensive snaps in 2014, Dallas would give up their sixth-round pick in 2015, and receive a 2015 seventh-round pick from Baltimore.
  • If McClain is on the 53-man roster for fewer than five games AND on the 46-man roster for fewer than three games in 2014, the Cowboys have a BETTER record than Baltimore in 2014, Dallas gives up nothing.
  • If McClain plays less than 50% of the Cowboys defensive snaps in 2014, AND the Cowboys have a BETTER record than Baltimore in 2014, Dallas gives up nothing.

Add in that there is no guaranteed money on McClain's deal, not too much risk on a former first round pick. Especially considering the Cowboys depth at linebacker.

jakncoke

Banned
I look forward to the day I have enough power to wield it on the undeserving.

Pretty sure there is bilaws written to disallow gingers that drink sissy drinks from attaining any kind of power. But then again a perma banned member came back and became mod. So what do i know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Talon

We can all agree that golf is the worst sport to watch.

I'm enjoying how far PGA ratings have been cratering since Tiger's fall from grace.

Bread

Banned
i need a cheap laptop for school

very cheap

any recommendations?

i just need it until i'm done with school in the fall.

rando14

Yuni2.jpg

Wow I didn't realize how poor MIL was at 1B last year, jeez adding 5 wins from just one position is pretty impressive.

Also can attribute MIL's success to the breakout year of Lucroy (already worth almost 2 wins more than he was all of last year), return of Braun (who should add a few more than last year just on playing time), and Carlos Gomez somehow having a better year than last year when he was worth 8.5.

eznark

Banned
Also can attribute MIL's success to the breakout year of Lucroy (already worth almost 2 wins more than he was all of last year), return of Braun (who should add a few more than last year just on playing time), and Carlos Gomez somehow having a better year than last year when he was worth 8.5.

We'll get there friend. We will get there.

squicken

I'm enjoying how far PGA ratings have been cratering since Tiger's fall from grace.

I like watching the majors and The Players but it is a niche sport. Tiger collapsing just means the casuals have stopped watching. Should also be a boon for on-course etiquette *adjusts monocle*

ShaneB

Golf is great to watch. I mean the Majors anyway and various match play events (ryder cup, presidents cup, etc), I love golf, and can watch every round of a major, but can't really be bothered to much to watch random tourney x throughout the year.

Bread

Banned
That window tablet with word, PowerPoint, and excel then.

I would just buy a decent lap top that I would use but if you're just aiming for school only...
i need cheap, like ~$300 lol

i just need something quick that can run windows.

i'll get a nice laptop after i graduate, i just want to have something so i can do online homework at home and not just on school computers.

Top Bottom