• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

Bowser

Kinda interested on what they say about Eli. Our offensive everything completely didn't work last year, but his footwork regressed and was part of the problem.

T-8. Eli Manning, New York Giants (2.23 average rating)

Quite a few voters paused and feigned anguish when asked to make sense of Manning following a brutal 2013 season. Seventeen of them placed Manning in the second tier.

"He is really a two when you supply him with the right weapons," a head coach said. "He is a guy that has the ultimate trust in a big wide receiver."

Some thought Manning would benefit from a scheme change this offseason, but most of the voters placing him in the second tier sounded a little apprehensive. "I see Eli having a hard time generating things on his own," one GM said. "I don't see a great decision-maker. He has never struck me as a take-charge, carry-the-team type of guy." That GM put Manning in the third tier. Another drew comparisons between Manning and the Kurt Warner who became gun-shy at times later in his career.

"Eli can go from a championship quarterback to throwing five interceptions in one game," an offensive coordinator said.

I disagree with the GM who said he's not a take-charge, carry-the-team type of guy though. He can absolutely do that.

Pepiope

I assume it's ok to share the rankings without all the content:

Tier 2
6. Phil Rivers
7. Big Ben
T-8. Matt Ryan
T-8. Tony Romo
T-8. Russell Wilson
T-8. Eli Manning
12. Joe Flacco
13. Matt Stafford
14. Colin Kaepernick
15. Nick Foles

Tier 3
16. Cam Newton
17. Jay Cutler
18. Alex Smith
T-19. Andy Dalton
T-19. RG3
T-21. Carson Palmer
T-21. Sam Bradford
23. Ryan Tannehill
24. Josh McCown

Tier 4
25. Matt Schaub
26. Chad Henne
27. EJ Manuel
28. Matt Cassel
29. Brian Hoyer
30. Ryan Fitzpatrick
31. Jake Locker
32. Geno Smith
Siri disagrees.

nick-foles-best-quarterback-siri.jpg

squicken

Writeup on Geno is pretty rough

32. Geno Smith, New York Jets (4.48 average rating)

It's too early to write off Smith. Some coaches in particular had a hard time placing any QBs in the fifth tier. To them, a Tier 5 QB would be a backup, not a starter.

"Would a five be an Akili Smith or JaMarcus Russell?" one coordinator asked. "I think the way Geno Smith played last year was close to that. He was a rookie and he struggled and some of his reads were poor, but I would give him a four."

"He is young enough to make a move," a pro personnel evaluator said.

rando14

Flacco down a tier, Foles down a tier, Cam up a tier, RG3 up in the 2.5 tier purgatory

EDIT: Also Luck down a tier

Draxal

I disagree with the GM who said he's not a take-charge, carry-the-team type of guy though. He can absolutely do that.

Yeah, Eli isn't gunshy like Kurt Warner wasn't in the end, he made a lot of dumb passes but that's the opposite of gunshy. What the oc is definitely true though.

squicken

I thought the RG3 writeup was interesting for the comment about how current players feel about all the QBs. Seems like they don't like most of them haha

T-19. Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins (3.00 average rating)

Only five of the evaluators who cast ballots for Griffin placed him in the second tier. Fifteen placed him in the third tier. Five put him in the fourth. And when I spoke with a mix of players -- four defensive backs, two linebackers and two QBs -- they gave him a 4.1 grade on average. I decided against including the players' grades in the overall results because they tended to be exceedingly low. One GM put Griffin in the second tier despite some reservations about Griffin's personality. The veteran QBs I consulted separately crushed Griffin in that area. "He does not take any blame," one of them said. A head coach placed Griffin in the fourth tier and said, "I just don't think he can play in the pocket."

Health and durability are key variables. "Pre-injury and with [Mike] Shanahan and all the things they did [in 2012], I would put him in that two category with Wilson and Kaepernick," a defensive coordinator said. "If he is healthy, he adds a scary dimension because the kid can run and he is accurate enough, but post-injury, I don't know."

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I thought the RG3 writeup was interesting for the comment about how current players feel about all the QBs. Seems like they don't like most of them haha

Little bit of damage control there about what RG3 did in 2012. I remember Michael Wilbon and a lot of the media declaring RG3 the GOAT after three or four weeks of the season.

jakncoke

Banned
wow I dont know what my brother gotten himself into. so recently he decided to be a moron and become catholic, just got a postcard from someone he knows, unsure why it was sent here instead of his pittsburgh apt, but i got to copy this word for word because its lol

Jaks brother,

I hope your summer is going well so far! Im sure you are enjoying time home with your family. Summer training is going well here at Ave Maria. The classes are so beautiful + God is really getting me to trust him more through fund raising. It is beautiful! I have been keeping you and your relationship with christ in my prayers. I hope and trust that things are going well. Feel free to give me a call to catch up! Keep the faith brother!

wow I dont know what my brother gotten himself into. so recently he decided to be a moron and become catholic, just got a postcard from someone he knows, unsure why it was sent here instead of his pittsburgh apt, but i got to copy this word for word because its lol
Wow, what an idiot!

I'm a Christian, haha.

eznark

Banned
Best QB in football!

The comeback is onnnnnnnnnnnn!

iwSwQKJ1P056G.gif

Wide open seam route touchdown motherfuckers! Brady da gawd still has it!!

um....

An incompletion will not defeat him. HE WILL NOT BE DENIED

ibmZbQzzp045YF.gif

crap

BigAT

Was it Simms that dropped that ridiculous line about one of Brady's incompletions being "thrown too perfectly"?

:jnc

I know a few people at Ave Maria. It's a nice place.

eznark

Banned
He was ruled a tight end because he has a shitty agent who didn't foresee an obvious issue and negotiate it prior to it becoming an issue.

2011 doesn't happen without him doing /exactly/ that.

Can he match that level of play consistently though? That's a fair question and he hasn't proven it yet. 2013 was a disaster at every level but there were major team issues that needed addressed aside from Eli's poor play.

jbug617

Banned
@AlbertBreer: Burbank's decision found that when Graham was detached, but close to the o-line, he was still playing tight end. That's a precedent setter.

Top Bottom