• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop

brentech

You gold digger !! Two of my siblings are pharmacists they do very well.

She's been floating for the past 5 years. Always worked for the same company, but has worked at 40+ stores. All under the pretense that they were building a store near our house.

Finally, this year, they broke ground and now the store is about 30% done. About a mile and a half away. Going to be awesome. She just wants to avoid another winter of floating. Should be in there around Oct-Nov

jpUasyJl.jpg

Talon

-PFT

See you in London bitch ass Falcons.

And the Lions and Falcons do have a history of animosity, despite what PFT says. Let's take a look back at our magical 2011 season:.
lol

All we've done with the superior Matt is kick your asses three times in a row, twice in your building.

Let me jog your memory about the last time
140216_JulioDetroitGif_Blog.gif

bionic77

Sorry if it's a dumb question but what do you mean mostly finished? Like lawyers aren't doing that as much anymore because it's not lucrative?
Malpractice will always be around because there are always going to be life changing as horrible medical mistakes.

What I meant is that as a field for lawyers it is dying off pretty quickly. The reason is that you win a very low percentage of the time and they are hideously expensive to litigate (doctor whores are not cheap and usually require the finest shit like Mercedes limos and private jets). So less and less suits are being filed and less and less doctors are getting sued. The lawyers who work in this field are incredibly selective now and only take the cases they know they will win. Before they used to sue everyone.

This trend assumes you have a normal jury pool. There are still some juries out there (especially in larger areas) where the odds are in the plaintiff and lawyers favor. But for the most part malpractice is on the decline.

This was part of the healthcare debate because the healthcare lobby blamed rising costs on malpractice instead of their own greed. Now that the opposite has proved to be true the next scapegoat is the doctor.

Talon

Eh, in reality, insurer's interests are more aligned with the patient. A healthy subscriber is a profitable subscriber.

Healthcare as a whole is far more complicated than just one ill.

Cynical hospital networks, insurers, poorly incentivized pharma, and stupid ass patients all combine to make one massive headache.

If I had to pinpoint one thing, it would be that we made a mistake in the '20s when we decided that employers should provide health insurance in pools. The fact that costs are so opaque contribute to patients making poor decisions in aggregate.

Also, one simple thing would be making death less of a taboo thing to talk about. End of term care takes up a much larger portion of overall spending than it should because most people don't have an idea of how they want to die, so we immediately turn to "do everything!!!"
wife is a pharmacist. she pays for malpractice insurance, but its really minimal.
Pharmacists have pretty limited liability, since they're largely fulfilling orders from prescribers.

One thing I found interesting was that psychiatrists spend a good chunk of time in courtrooms for forced hospitalizations. It makes sense in retrospect because they're the only one with the authority to request that for a patient's own good - sometimes awkwardly against the patient's family wishes, but I was still surprised to hear that some in teaching hospital settings will spend a day/week in court.

Ob. Gyns have hilarious amounts of liability. Baby is stillborn? You could be liable - ignoring the fact that ~30% of pregnancies have complications. Something is wrong 12 years down the road? You could be liable for that child until they're 18.

Just comical shit.

bionic77

Eh, in reality, insurer's interests are more aligned with the patient. A healthy subscriber is a profitable subscriber.

Healthcare as a whole is far more complicated than just one ill.

Cynical hospital networks, insurers, poorly incentivized pharma, and stupid ass patients all combine to make one massive headache.

If I had to pinpoint one thing, it would be that we made a mistake in the '20s when we decided that employers should provide health insurance in pools. The fact that costs are so opaque contribute to patients making poor decisions in aggregate.

Also, one simple thing would be making death less of a taboo thing to talk about. End of term care takes up a much larger portion of overall spending than it should because most people don't have an idea of how they want to die, so we immediately turn to "do everything!!!"
It is actually very simple.

It's a for profit system. We are always going to get ripped off by it as long as that remains. Same with private colleges (which somehow don't pay any taxes lucky mofos).

There is no incentive for anyone involved to cut profits or change things up. It's the largest industry in the US and most expensive health care in the world.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...re-nfl-other-top-quarterbacks?addata=module-b

Although he claimed that there was "still plenty of time" to reach a deal, Smith also told the Star that he is aware of the recent deals signed by some other quarterbacks around the league.

"Certainly when you're talking about comparables and what the marketplace is for a quarterback, certainly you're looking at that," Smith told the paper. "And I feel like my body of work of the last three, four years is right up there with a lot of those guys. No question, when you're trying to put a value on something like that, you look at a lot of stuff."

Smith, 30, is scheduled to make $7.5 million this season -- the final year of his current contract with the Chiefs.

Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo and Matthew Stafford all recently have signed long-term contracts -- deals worth approximately $17 million to $18 million annually.

Small hands just wants to get paid!

brentech

Pharmacists have pretty limited liability, since they're largely fulfilling orders from prescribers.
Basically, but not always that simple.
My wife gets scripts from old doctors that are prescribing drugs that haven't even been on the market for 5+ years. So many doctors are really shitty about knowing what is still out there or what is the best for the patient.
That's where a pharmacist can't just count on some computer or the script itself.
There are judgement calls to be made.

The biggest issue for the malpractice though is definitely doctors prescribing too high of dosages and the pharmacist not recognizing it. We know a few in her company that have been fired because of it.

But we don't pay a huge policy because the company already provides some insurance, we just get something to cover our asses a little more.

Talon

It is actually very simple.

It's a for profit system. We are always going to get ripped off by it as long as that remains. Same with private colleges (which somehow don't pay any taxes lucky mofos).

There is no incentive for anyone involved to cut profits or change things up. It's the largest industry in the US and most expensive health care in the world.
Actually, there's significant incentive from the provider's (hospital) and insurer's end.

Providers need a change because of a huge upcoming shortfall in physicians, primarily primary care providers (blame the motherfucking baby boomers). The real reason for this is that residency spots are constrained because it's financed by medicare, which is yet another bizarre historical artifact in this industry. Since residency spots are limited, there's a strict cap on medical school spots.

Overworked physicians (literally in a teaching setting, you'll get quotes of 10-12 minutes/patient) leads to subpar care, leads to both physicians and patients looking outside of that setting.

The result of this is that we're seeing a lot of innovation outside of traditional hospitals, primarily with physician groups, that are more consumer-focused. And that's great for, say, wealthy Chicagoans or New Yorkers.

HOWEVER, this fucks things up for the rest of the system because what happens is that "desirable" patients (e.g. those with insurance from their employers) will happily move over to networks that cater to their needs, where as more regional, traditional hospitals are stuck sucking up the medicare and medicaid patients, which are much less profitable and, in the case of medicaid patients, losses.

Insurers need a change because they're being squeezed by providers in many states, e.g. California, Georgia, and Florida. There's been a broad consolidation of providers in many states (partially due to what's been described above), which leads to greater bargaining positions against insurers -> higher rates.

And who do you think subscribers are going to side with? Blue Cross/Blue Shield or Mercy Hospital?

Anyways, it's not all doom and gloom. There's a lot of neat stuff going on in the entire field. There's a desire for innovation at all ends because out of necessity. United has this huge VC arm that sucks up cool start-ups and then ravages them. Top 10-20 Med Schools have been running incubators for a while for everything from practical tech to care methodologies.
Basically, but not always that simple.
My wife gets scripts from old doctors that are prescribing drugs that haven't even been on the market for 5+ years. So many doctors are really shitty about knowing what is still out there or what is the best for the patient.
That's where a pharmacist can't just count on some computer or the script itself.
There are judgement calls to be made.

The biggest issue for the malpractice though is definitely doctors prescribing too high of dosages and the pharmacist not recognizing it. We know a few in her company that have been fired because of it.

But we don't pay a huge policy because the company already provides some insurance, we just get something to cover our asses a little more.
The variance of what doctors know based on the decade they were trained is really hilarious to me. It's the one field where it's absolutely vital for you to read papers and keep abreast of what's up, and it's also why pharma is so ingrained in the whole process because a lot of times the Abbvie rep knows more about a specific tool or part than the physician.

It blew my mind when I heard that reps will literally sit in during hip implants because they need to advise the surgeon on which device to insert. In reality, it makes a ton of sense, but it's also really fucking goofy.

brentech

The variance of what doctors know based on the decade they were trained is really hilarious to me. It's the one field where it's absolutely vital for you to read papers and keep abreast of what's up, and it's also why pharma is so ingrained in the whole process because a lot of times the Abbvie rep knows more about a specific tool or part than the physician.

It blew my mind when I heard that reps will literally sit in during hip implants because they need to advise the surgeon on which device to insert. In reality, it makes a ton of sense, but it's also really fucking goofy.

Yeah. It's really fucking frightening. That's why I try to ensure any time I need care I get a young doctor. lol

That's something I'm proud of my wife for. Like, sure, everyone has to do continuing education in the field. It's required, but they usually do it all at one time and do the bare minimum, while she takes papers with her on vacation and other down times to stay on top of everything. She's really good about that stuff.

Talon

Yeah. It's really fucking frightening. That's why I try to ensure any time I need care I get a young doctor. lol

That's something I'm proud of my wife for. Like, sure, everyone has to do continuing education in the field. It's required, but they usually do it all at one time and do the bare minimum, while she takes papers with her on vacation and other down times to stay on top of everything. She's really good about that stuff.
The simplest thing to do is to ensure you go to a teaching hospital. Because every attending and resident HAS to be up on her/his shit.

Yeah, that's awesome. Your wife is the bomb.com.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
NFL: Evaluations of underclassmen limited

NEW YORK -- The NFL will limit the number of underclassmen who can receive evaluations for the draft to five from a single school, although special exceptions will be allowed.

Concerned about the record 107 underclassmen who applied for this year's draft, and with 37 of them not selected, the league's College Advisory Committee developed new guidelines for players considering forfeiting their final years of eligibility.

Troy Vincent, the league's head of football operations, said Friday the underclassmen will be advised on their potential to be picked in the first or second round. They also could be advised to stay in school.

Previous assessments dealt with the first through third rounds and whether a player had no potential of being selected.

"When you look at our accuracy rate, we did a good job evaluating first- and second-round picks," Vincent told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "Below -- the third, fourth and fifth rounds -- a lot of these players were not getting drafted. It's better for these young men to remain a student-athlete for another year."

Only two schools, LSU and California, had more than five underclassmen in this year's draft. Six of LSU's seven players were chosen, while only two of the six from Cal were drafted.

Qualifications for an exception will be taken on a case-by-case basis by the NFL committee.

Vincent emphasized the league is not prohibiting underclassmen from entering the draft, but they "want them to make an informed decision."

He added that the basketball model in which players beyond their first year of eligibility can enter the NBA draft and then withdraw as long as they don't hire an agent would not work for the NFL. Vincent fears "everybody would test the water every year" under a similar system applying to college players whose high school graduation class has completed its third year of college.

Alabama coach Nick Saban said at the SEC media days this week that "it's getting overwhelming" for the NFL's evaluation committee. The Crimson Tide had 11 players ask for evaluations after last season.

"A guy is going to get a first-round grade, a second-round grade or a stay-in-school grade," Saban said. "Look, all these players that went out for the draft, that went out for the draft late, or didn't get drafted, they were potential draft picks next year. They're not in the draft next year. They're not playing college football, either."

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Good luck!

Thanks!

Phone interviews suck. No non verbal to work off

Yeah it's hard....I speak to a lot of random strangers on the phone while scheduling audits so I'm usually charming enough on the phone.

Those are such a crapshoot. Good luck.

Well, they specifically asked my buddy from grad school if he knew anyone and I was the one he pitched to them. So hopefully I'm halfway there already.

Thanks!

Yeah it's hard....I speak to a lot of random strangers on the phone while scheduling audits so I'm usually charming enough on the phone.

Well, they specifically asked my buddy from grad school if he knew anyone and I was the one he pitched to them. So hopefully I'm halfway there already.

Uh, in that case it sounds like a formality to make sure you're not a drooling idiot. Good luck anyway!

jakncoke

Banned
Tonight either going to be great or terrible. Drank 2 energy shots with one having 2200 mg of energy mix and the other 280 mg caffeine and 893 mg of energy mix and a 36 case of Coors Light piss.

BigAT

Tonight either going to be great or terrible. Drank 2 energy shots with one having 2200 mg of energy mix and the other 280 mg caffeine and 893 mg of energy mix and a 36 case of Coors Light piss.

I think you would have been better off with that pumpkin mix.

I wanna take this time to call konka out. Konka you are a jackass. I had a couple slices of ham and pineapple pizza from dominos and it wasn't the GOODS! As you claimed it was. It wasn't horrible but smh you've disappointed me. Smh
Smh

cdyhybrid

I wanna take this time to call konka out. Konka you are a jackass. I had a couple slices of ham and pineapple pizza from dominos and it wasn't the GOODS! As you claimed it was. It wasn't horrible but smh you've disappointed me. Smh
Smh

We could have told you that before you wasted your money.

Konka

Banned
Smh

It grows on you. Plus it's dominos.

cdyhybrid

Anybody help me with this PSP question? The sooner the better, I know nothing about the system and it's turning out to be a huge pain in the ass to find the answers online in a quick manner:

If I understand my internet reading correctly, I should be able to buy FFT: War of the Lions off of the Playstation Store via the PSP, right? Would it require any extra accessories or addons or anything?

Top Bottom